HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Credit to the NHL - they are doing a few good things this year

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Credit to the NHL - they are doing a few good things this year

I have to give credit where it is due - the NHL has embarked on some clever marketing stragies this year. Namely two.

The Heritage Classic is really drumming up tons of interest in hockey in Canada in general. It's a hot topic on the news right now, and almost every weather forecast in the country gives us the 'Hertige Classic Weather Update' on the news. Things are so exciting right now. It's possible the Alumni game is even more hotly anticipated than the actual game.

And 'Vintage Jersey' night, I dunno about other cities, but it was a massive deal in Vancouver. I was going downtown to pick up some groceries, and I saw *8* people wearing vintage jerseys and it was the talk of the town.. and I don't even live in Vancouver (I live in Parksville, Vancouver Island).

More things like these is what the NHL should be getting to every year. Hockey Day in Canada was a start, but things like this truely bring the games interest level up a notch. Especially to the 'average joe' fan.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:26 AM
degroat*

Good things about the NHL are not allowed on this board.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Good things about the NHL are not allowed on this board.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
It's possible the Alumni game is even more hotly anticipated than the actual game.
IMO, this is a bad thing. If people are more interested in seeing a bunch of old guys skate around and not play with *as much* intensity (I think intensity will be there, more than in any other old timers game), than they are seeing the young guys in their prime.

That's unfortunate. The Oilers are one of the more exiting teams in the league and the Habs can be aswell (depending on how well Theo is playing and whether they feel like playing the trap or not), but people are more geared up for the old guys.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

I do have one problem with the Hertiage Hockey Classic. The NHL should have waited about another 2-3 weeks and stage it in early December.

Reason being is that the game will not be televised in the US, unless you have the Center Ice package.

A big time event to promote the sport and they don't think ahead enough to make sure it gets national coverage in the US.

EPSN has contracts with college football conferences to show games on Saturday nights, so ESPN could not show the game. The College Football regular season is over in about 2 weeks.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Oilers Hockey

JOhn Flyers Fan, I don't think the weather would be tolerable if they scheduled it that late unfortunately, winter starts in October here...*sigh* It's a great suggestion, but it would be way too cold.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:34 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
JOhn Flyers Fan, I don't think the weather would be tolerable if they scheduled it that late unfortunately, winter starts in October here...*sigh* It's a great suggestion, but it would be way too cold.
I'm not saying wait until February. Just another 2 or 3 weeks. Yes I know it gets cold, but it's not like you guys in Edmonton aren't used to it. :p

Closed Thread