HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it flippin FRIDAY yet?!?!?!

Old
10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
TerrieRizer*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Come on, it's just a fan being optimistic. If you're so high and mighty to see the outcome of the game before it even happens, please give me the winning lotto numbers.

I think it's going to be a real close game. Much like your team, we revamped our defense and have 4 lines that can score, and 2 that should it pretty well. In net, it's tough to say what either team will get. Should be a real tight game IMO.
lol I'm not tryin to be high and mighty. Ya never know what will happen on any given night, but to predict 6 goals against the most improved team in the league on opening night when the Bruins have a lot to prove is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
lol I'm not tryin to be high and mighty. Ya never know what will happen on any given night, but to predict 6 goals against the most improved team in the league on opening night when the Bruins have a lot to prove is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?
Yea, I would say so but did you see what Chicago did to Nashville last night? Well, in the last preseason game (with most of our starters vs most of their starters), we beat them 6-3. The Panthers have made major improvements themselves and were already better than the Bruins last night.

It will be a close game either way, but we definately have the depth advantage. Hopefully that plays into our favor as the game goes on.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Happy Girl

Toronto scored 6 goals last night also. Please - any given team can score 6 goals any given night.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yea, I would say so but did you see what Chicago did to Nashville last night? Well, in the last preseason game (with most of our starters vs most of their starters), we beat them 6-3. The Panthers have made major improvements themselves and were already better than the Bruins last night.

It will be a close game either way, but we definately have the depth advantage. Hopefully that plays into our favor as the game goes on.
Yeah, I was predicting (on GR's blog) Nashville to win the Central Division, but made the decision after several minutes of weighing them against Chicago, which - contrary to Terrie's comments - is more likely the most improved team in the league. Guess I picked the wrong horse, there - then again, it's one game.

And, Terrie - Florida's also got something to prove, has better defense and better offense than its had in years, and I don't think the goaltending is any worse than Boston's (always hoped to see Tim in the NHL someday like all UVM grads, but still don't think he's a top-flight goalie at this level). This'll be a good match, but I don't think 6-3 is out of the question. It's not really a blowout if one team scores three more after the game reaches a 3-3 tie. Now if it's 1-1 or 2-2, then one team stretches the lead up to 5 or 6 before the other scores...well, that's more of a blowout with the same final score

We'll find out tonight.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Happy Girl

Can we really determine if a team is truly the "most improved" at the beginning of the season? Being better on paper is one thing. Acquiring better players is another part. But can we truly know which team has the most improvement from last season until the end of this season when we have the win/loss records and conference standings?

Old
10-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Based on what exactly? The only way this score is possible in tomorrow's game is if the Bruins are in the sinbin the entire night. The Bruins have a completely revamped defense and two legitimate scoring lines now. To think you're just gonna run over them is a joke and a half.

8 - 3 Panthers. Who's laughing now?

Old
10-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
Crazy how close the 6-2 prediction was.

10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
HockeySS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Crazy how close the 6-2 prediction was.
When it was 7-2, that prediction is the first thing that came to my mind.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Can we really determine if a team is truly the "most improved" at the beginning of the season? Being better on paper is one thing. Acquiring better players is another part. But can we truly know which team has the most improvement from last season until the end of this season when we have the win/loss records and conference standings?
It's a question of the "most improved on paper" sort of thing. Chicago really looked like a non-playoff team last season, but several additions make them look much stronger this season.

Apparently still weak on D, though

Old
10-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySS19 View Post
When it was 7-2, that prediction is the first thing that came to my mind.
I thought of it when it was 5-2, and thought about what I was typing to say how 6-3 could be a blowout if one team got up 6-2 with unanswered goals. Nice to see it run up to 8-2 before the Bs potted that last one on a fluky puck movement.

They have GOT to improve the ice there.

Old
10-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
It's a question of the "most improved on paper" sort of thing. Chicago really looked like a non-playoff team last season, but several additions make them look much stronger this season.

Apparently still weak on D, though

Ha!

Old
10-07-2006, 09:57 AM
TerrieRizer*

Hey I'll own up to being wrong. The Panthers played a solid game last night and the Bruins looked like the Bruins of last year, absolutely abysmal. Tim Thomas couldn't stop a beachball last night. For the most part of the first two periods, the Bruins carried the play in the Panthers end, only to make a bad turnover and have it turn into a goal. The Panthers got more than a few lucky breaks and the Bruins a lot of stupid mistakes that on most nights won't be as costly. The Bruins' defense was terrible sans Chara, and the top lines didn't do much better.

I give all the credit in the world to the Panthers for coming out and playing a strong game. They deserved the W last night and will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

Old
10-07-2006, 09:59 AM
TerrieRizer*

Quote:
And before you get all high and mighty, if you read my post, I said that if they were in the box all night, which they pretty much were, they wouldn't fare well.

It also doesn't help when your goalie(Thomas) looks like he'd get lit up in Peewee hockey.

Old
10-07-2006, 11:32 AM
HockeySS19

Is it Wednesday yet?

I'm going to Wednesday's game against Carolina. I have a voucher for four upper bowl tickets.. actually I have five vouchers. :p

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Lauser3*

Quote:
And before you get all high and mighty, if you read my post, I said that if they were in the box all night, which they pretty much were, they wouldn't fare well.

It also doesn't help when your goalie(Thomas) looks like he'd get lit up in Peewee hockey.
The Panthers were penalized more than the Bruins last night. The only difference being...we actually capitalized on the opportunities given to us while Boston did not. You can't win in the new NHL without scoring...especially on the PP. The Panthers learned that after last season and the Bruins (hopefully) learned that after last night. Afterall, elite goalies don't win you Stanley Cups anymore...offense does. You'll be fine with Thomas/Toivonen (sp?) as long as your team finds a way to score.

Lauser3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Eh, she's not getting high and mighty.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote