HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo's biggest problem....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2003, 03:15 AM
  #26
Devo-2
Registered User
 
Devo-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Buffaloed]Buffalo's biggest problem is the beer is too expensive. Make it 2 bucks and the fans will come and afterward they won't remember what to complain about. [QUOTE]

I'll second that, lower the beer prices. It would be like a bad, cheap wedding with an all night open bar. Nobody remembers the wedding, just that they had a good time.

Devo-2 is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 03:30 AM
  #27
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoheadd
4) goaltending: youth, inconsistency. No one has stepped up
Biron isn't "youthful" anymore. He's 26 and approaching his prime. He should be much farther along in his development by now.

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:14 AM
  #28
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoheadd
This team has too many problems right now.

lets break it down.

1) scoring: 12 goals last seven games

2) consistency: Isles, Canucks, Atlanta, Devils.... man handled us. The guys seemed to quit on the ice. the effort is not always the best...

3)fundaments: score on the PP, go in the corners to get the puck, drive to the net for rebounds... DUH

4) goaltending: youth, inconsistency. No one has stepped up

5) and you knew this coming: management, average drafts, needs still not filled after 2+ years, depth in the minors is slim, coachable problems not resolved (see inconsistency, fundamentals). IMO

I dont know how Roy will do up here. I liked the way he looked in training camp, but he is another small guy who is going to get pushed around. I think/hope he can be a drury like player w/ better scoring touch, not sure about the leadership part though....
Buffalo's biggest problem is leadership. The team lost Barnes, Ray, and Warrener between this season and last, and only brought in Drury. The Sabres have plenty of young, quality players (in Buffalo and in Rochester) who only need some on ice leadership. Ruff and the coaching staff can only do so much... their coaching must be paired with on-ice, peer leadership.

I think this in itself would fix your second and third points. Your fifth point has a lot to do with past ownership... except the drafts. That must be fixed.

Ryan Miller is the answer to your fourth point. But he may not be the answer this season, or a least right now. If Biron is traded, he must be replaced with someone like Gerber from Anaheim... not a full-time starter but somebody who can split time with Noronen for a season.

I disagree with your assessment of Roy. I do not think his size will be that much of a hinderance, and it will certainly be offset by his offensive abilities.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 04:17 AM
  #29
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
Buffalo's biggest problem is leadership. The team lost Barnes, Ray, and Warrener between this season and last...
Nice point. I think this has been overlooked. You could probably even toss Varada into that mix.

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:40 AM
  #30
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Nice point. I think this has been overlooked. You could probably even toss Varada into that mix.
Sorry, but this team lacked leadership with those guys as well.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 05:32 AM
  #31
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Sorry, but this team lacked leadership with those guys as well.
Well, if they lacked leadership then, now it is even worse.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 05:51 AM
  #32
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
Well, if they lacked leadership then, now it is even worse.
I wouldn't go that far. This team is off to a much better start than they were last season. Through 19 games last year this team only had 12 points and were already in freefall mode.

This year they've weathered that western road trip and are at .500 through 19 games.

This team could certainly use more leadership, but it doesn't appear to me that they miss any of the so called leaders that have left town recently.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 10:22 AM
  #33
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I wouldn't go that far. This team is off to a much better start than they were last season. Through 19 games last year this team only had 12 points and were already in freefall mode.

This year they've weathered that western road trip and are at .500 through 19 games.

This team could certainly use more leadership, but it doesn't appear to me that they miss any of the so called leaders that have left town recently.
It might be too early to compare this year's team to last year's. I don't necessarily disagree with your point. I do still contend that the Sabres are weak in leadership, IMO. Many of the younger guys have the capability but need an example.

I would really like Buffalo to get someone like Matvichuk, which would fill two needs.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
  #34
dittoheadd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bflo
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
I disagree with your assessment of Roy. I do not think his size will be that much of a hinderance, and it will certainly be offset by his offensive abilities.
I dont watch any Amerks games, so I can only assess what I saw in preseason and practices. I like his hustle, its shows will and determination, in my book. I just am concerned w/ his size, if he comes up and doesnt produce, it just means we have another small forward who cant get the job done...... If he' still w/ the Merks, I cant wait to see him in February when the Merks play at HSBC

To takeo's point about Biron not being young, obviously you're right in the actual age dept. I would argue that goalies (in general)blossom later than forward and enter their prime right about where marty is (unless your Patty Roy or someone of that caliber). Thus being said, he should have a 'break out year'. But I aint buying that either....

Point being, we all covered a lot of problems w/ this team, and there dont seem to be any solutions from mgt.

To Jim_Bob's point about building a long term contender, Even the most competent management w/ deep pockets have a tough time w/ that. Maybe getting that player/personnel guy Chicago just dropped (like you previously avocated) would be a start in the right direction

dittoheadd is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 08:00 AM
  #35
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
It might be too early to compare this year's team to last year's. I don't necessarily disagree with your point. I do still contend that the Sabres are weak in leadership, IMO. Many of the younger guys have the capability but need an example.

I would really like Buffalo to get someone like Matvichuk, which would fill two needs.
I'm not saying that leadership isn't an issue with this team.

What I am saying is that I don't think that this team is worse off in the leadership department because they moved out Warrener, Barnes, Ray, and Varada and added Drury.

This team lacked solid leadership the past two years with those 4 guys here. And I think Drury is a better leader and player than the guys that got shipped out of here.

At worst, I think it's a wash leadership wise. And personally, I think the situation is a little better.

But, there is a ways to go in the leadership department. And the problem is with who is in the room and not that they don't have a permanent captain, IMO.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 09:36 AM
  #36
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
Is a captain mandatory? Can we go with three alternates???

Kind of like the whole "Patriots D being introduced as a unit" rationale...or something.

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 02:05 PM
  #37
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I'm not saying that leadership isn't an issue with this team.

What I am saying is that I don't think that this team is worse off in the leadership department because they moved out Warrener, Barnes, Ray, and Varada and added Drury.

This team lacked solid leadership the past two years with those 4 guys here. And I think Drury is a better leader and player than the guys that got shipped out of here.

At worst, I think it's a wash leadership wise. And personally, I think the situation is a little better.

But, there is a ways to go in the leadership department. And the problem is with who is in the room and not that they don't have a permanent captain, IMO.
I agree that Drury is a better leader that any of the names that have departed the team the past year. I am unsure of Buffalo's leadership situation, because I am not in the room or on the ice to assess. My theory is that it is average at best. Drury is one of my favorites, but can't do it alone.

I am not sure what Satan brings to the team leadership-wise. It's a popular idea to think of him as a past-Randy Moss-type: lots of talent, doesn't always hustle, and a "me first" guy. If he is, he needs to go because he's too much of a veteran for that attitude.

If Satan is not the problem, then the Sabres need to add a couple of leaders to augment Drury.

 
Old
11-23-2003, 02:21 PM
  #38
SabresRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
our lack of ability to win back to back is our main problem, and not being able come from behind (so to speak).

Roy and Miller need a little more time, Roy needs to improve his defense, and miller needs to round out his game, he looked ok earlier in the season, but clearly another season wouldnt do him, or the amerks any harm.

SabresRule is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 02:25 PM
  #39
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
our lack of ability to win back to back is our main problem, and not being able come from behind (so to speak).

Roy and Miller need a little more time, Roy needs to improve his defense, and miller needs to round out his game, he looked ok earlier in the season, but clearly another season wouldnt do him, or the amerks any harm.
I don't disagree that those are some of the team's problem areas. I would argue that those are symptoms, however.

 
Old
11-24-2003, 02:09 AM
  #40
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
I am not sure what Satan brings to the team leadership-wise. It's a popular idea to think of him as a past-Randy Moss-type: lots of talent, doesn't always hustle, and a "me first" guy. If he is, he needs to go because he's too much of a veteran for that attitude.

If Satan is not the problem, then the Sabres need to add a couple of leaders to augment Drury.
I think Satan is more like Drew Bledsoe in that he focuses on himself and isn't a get in your face kind of guy.

Satan has learned to be at least defensively responsible and hasn't come out in the media and blasted Ruff or the organization. And he's never gotten into off the field issues.

So to compare him to Randy Moss would be a mistake, IMO.

But, Satan isn't a vocal leader. The only way he leads is by showing up and producing offensively. And he's not doing that right now.

To me, the solution to the leadership issue should be solved by to add a player or two in the James Patrick mold. I thought Steve Thomas would have been a really good fit in that regard.

And it's too bad that they couldn't work thing out to keep Andreychuk happy in Buffalo.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.