HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

punchy1-What in the world...

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 08:56 AM
guzmania

vCash: 500
punchy1-What in the world...

...is a cobber? The word has been bouncing around this barren cranium for ~24 hours. I've started to use it like the spanish venacular "chingadera". How much trouble will I get into if I call the wrong guy a "right cobber"? If there are right cobbers are some wrong, or left? Enlighten us Swami of the South Pacific. Its been a pleasure decifering the common language that divides us. I just need a definition. Thanks.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:49 AM
punchy1

Sorry about that one then. My mum is a right cockney Liverpudlian and my da though Maori moved to Belfast when he was a teener. (where he met me mum) They had me and then we moved back to Kiwiville to live on my mums inherited lands. Beauty. So I am always being tossled about my out of place vernacular. Not quite right with my (me, if you want the cockney version) mums family and not enough native for my maori mates. Reminds me of the Cher "Half Breed" song. (not gay, just a bloody reference)

So, to answer your question, like allot of cockney slang or for that matter simply street language from the cold wet streets of Belfast the word "right" simply is used to point out something. For example, it is "right" cold out or it is certainly cold out. That sort of thing. A "cobber" is just another slang word for the American word "Kook" I believe. Just a way of bashing a bloke (bird, or Shiela, whichever) for whatever reason you have. It can also be a sort of off handed compliment ifyou want it to. For example, "that's a dandy cobber mate" would be like saying "you made a silly mistake didn't you". It is just one of those all purpose words. There are tons of them.

Now, what does an American mean when they say "tool"? To me it means a mechanical device that you use to effect a change on an aperatus. I know I am wrong but how does it apply to calling someone a name? Could you also call someone a "wrench" and get the same effect? Just curious.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:08 AM
guzmania

Thanks punch.

Since I'm an aged one around here this may not have the newest conotations but...

In the 30's it was someone who had been used, like a, well, tool.

It's also slang for your member, err love muscle, ah bonus maximus, if you will, for some obvious reasons.

So calling someone a wrench wouldn't fit the bill here.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:36 AM
punchy1

Now thats a dandy! So my tool and my roger or jimmy or twiggy etc are all the same and if I were to be called a tool it would mean that I am the same as it or them. Still laughing at that one. Great crack.

Here is one of my favorites that might not be the same for you as it is for us. "Berk" You would call a lady you don't like a Berk. Mind you, only if you *really* don't like her. It goes sort of like this, *that girls a berkshire hunt*. Berk for short. I was told that it is like most cockney/liverpudlian just a ryhmer of a thing. Berkshire hunt rhymes with the dreaded and un used profanity about a womens bits that starts with C. My last girlfriend was bobbing my mate and in front of our families at a supper I called her on it. She denied it. I told her how I knew and she got pissy and told me it was because I was too sensitive. I called her a "Berk" and my mum hit me so hard I can still see tweetie.

That's was when I learned about the meaning of that word. Is it the same for you ?

Old
11-21-2003, 12:26 PM
LuckyLUC20

lmao... what a great thread.

I've never heard of "berk" before.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
guzmania

Heh heh heh...he said twiggy!

Old