HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles-Chi Hawks deal may be close

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Funny Darth, I got the exact same thought last night when listening to Potvin: this deal may very well include an NYI dman.

What baffles me, and hopefully is just misunderstanding on my part, is this: Do NYI fans want to see a deal like the ones being bantered about? As in Parrish/Cairns/dman for promising, but unproven, youth?

That is, putting the realities of the Isles $$$ situation aside.

I certainly don't, not now. Unless they must shed $$$, such a trade is not going to help this team near-term - a team that is 9-6-2 and playing very respectable hockey.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Not only was Bob Pulford at the game last night, but Cats color guy Denis Potvin commented that he had not been able to get a hold of his friend Kenny Morrow (who is now an Islander scout) for days, because Morrow had been following the Chi Hawks.

I have not idea what will be involved, but I would say that there is a good possibility that both Parrish and Cairns are Black Hawks shortly after the Isles return from their road trip.

I think there is an outside chance that the deal is expanded to include an Islander dman (probably Hamrlik). I don't think that is likely, but certainly possible.

The interesting issue here is that the Isles are not looking to add salary or older players and Chicago doesn't seem to want to trade inexpensive youngsters. From that perspective, the teams don't seem well matched.

Thoughts?
I wish the Kings would pick up a few of those guys

Old
11-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I wish the Kings would pick up a few of those guys
You may have some reason for hope. From today's New York Post recap of last night's game:

"Had Peca scored on his first-period penalty shot, it would have been far more lopsided of a win in front of a press box stuffed with members of the Isles' inner circle - Ken Morrow and Kevin Maxwell - and scouts from Carolina, Detroit, Columbus, Los Angeles, Calgary and Chicago."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/42911.htm

Old
11-20-2003, 02:21 PM
herecomesdabus

I think MM scouted the Norfolk Admirals when they came to town to take on the Soundtigers last week.

There was an article someone had posted without a link(not on this board) that suggested that the Isles where checking out Anton Babchuk, D and Mikhail Yakubov, C

The way Peca has been playing it seems like he's the guy on the block.

Old
11-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Wrong altogether.

Adam Foote is worlds better than Roman Hamrlik, and you are also forgetting the 2nd rounder.

Adam Foote is not worlds better than Hamrlik. He is better, but the difference is not nearly as great as you suggest. Harmlik is definitely in his league, and the trade value should not be all that off.

Fine then. Adam Foote for Calder and a 2nd rounder. I assume you'd sign off on that if you were PL, given your logic.

11-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Please

take Cairns

Old
11-20-2003, 05:10 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Fine then. Adam Foote for Calder and a 2nd rounder. I assume you'd sign off on that if you were PL, given your logic.
I see what you're implying here, but it's completely different, Darth.

Colorado, unlike the Islanders, are not in dire straights financially and are not in need of slashing payroll. Should they choose to do so, I would be satisfied with a Kyle Calder or Mark Bell plus a 2nd rounder for Adam Foote because it's equal value.

However, ask anybody... Foote is a more valuable defenseman to have on your club than Roman Hamrlik.

The big difference in whether the Avs would make that trade as opposed to the Islanders making it is it that Colorado does not need to cut salary from their budget... the Islanders do.

Old
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I see what you're implying here, but it's completely different, Darth.

Colorado, unlike the Islanders, are not in dire straights financially and are not in need of slashing payroll. Should they choose to do so, I would be satisfied with a Kyle Calder or Mark Bell plus a 2nd rounder for Adam Foote because it's equal value.

However, ask anybody... Foote is a more valuable defenseman to have on your club than Roman Hamrlik.

The big difference in whether the Avs would make that trade as opposed to the Islanders making it is it that Colorado does not need to cut salary from their budget... the Islanders do.

Foote is more valuable, but I don't think the difference is that larger. In fact, I think Hamrlik is close to being in Foote's league.

As for the Isles payroll issues, I'm not sure they need to cut payroll as much as your suggest. Now, things may be different this summer, when they have lots of FAs to sign, but Hamrlik is not going in a salary dump now. Parrish might, but that is another story.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
You may have some reason for hope. From today's New York Post recap of last night's game:

"Had Peca scored on his first-period penalty shot, it would have been far more lopsided of a win in front of a press box stuffed with members of the Isles' inner circle - Ken Morrow and Kevin Maxwell - and scouts from Carolina, Detroit, Columbus, Los Angeles, Calgary and Chicago."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/42911.htm
Allright! Thanks for the info Trottier!

Old
11-20-2003, 07:50 PM
who_me?

if Hamrlik or another d-man comes Chicago's way, I hope that the Isles take McCarthy off our hands.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Hawkalyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me?

if Hamrlik or another d-man comes Chicago's way, I hope that the Isles take McCarthy off our hands.

uhh yea, lets trade our best Dman(or 2nd best) away for Hamrlik, progress!

Old
11-20-2003, 08:37 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkalyzer
uhh yea, lets trade our best Dman(or 2nd best) away for Hamrlik, progress!
LOL. "best D-man" on the Hawks.. you know that's not saying much, do you?

Hamrlik is an upgrade over McCarthy. His time in Chicago has come and gone.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:37 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckU
I am not infavor either, unless Mad Mike knows that the islander are not going to be able to compete in the bidding war for Hamerlik at the end of the year.

what bidding war?

Hamrlik's a rfa next summer,who wants to get a multi-yr extension signed asap.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I really think you overrate the value of Roman Hamrlik.

If you're saying the Islanders are better off keeping Hammer right now than one of those three, then you're absolutely right. If you take into account that Hamrlik is an RFA with arbitration rights at the end of the season, the Islanders already having #1, #2 and #3 defensemen without Hammer *and* that all three of those young, inept Blackhawks you mention will be solid second line forwards, then I can't see why that is so far off.

Hamrlik is easily the best player involved, but until this "guaranteed" extension he has gets signed(and you were the one who guaranteed it), then his value remains lower.

Kyle Calder or Mark Bell and a 2nd round pick for Hamrlik is not far off.

Aucoinis a rfa.a good defensemen,but the isles have made no move to sign him to an extension.a good indication the nyi don't want to lockup him a lot of $ on Aucoin.

Jonsson's signed 1 yr beyond this one,has made comments about wanting to play home on Sweden.KJ cannot be looked upon as a longterm answer on the blueline.

24 yr old Asham had 15 goals last yr.Just a few less then Arnason and more then Bell's average.

Calder's on pace for a career high 24 goals.Hunter's on pace for 32 goals.

toss in kids like Weinhandl,Bergenheim,Mapletoft,Papineau and I don't see the need to move a 29 yr old,4x all-star dman to add a couple of 23-24 yr old young forwards.

and while Hamrlik's extension is not guaranteed,he's pushing hard enough for it and the isles reluctance to move him,have me hoping both sides are giving a little bit and an extensions not far off.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

The press has reported different amounts the nyi wants to move.I've read anywhere from $5m-$7m

NY press reports say these are the players the nyi would most likely move:

Weimer-$1.6m gone
Parrish-$2.3m
Cairns-$900,000
Scatchard-$1.3m

that's $6.2m right there

and if they are able to find a team hit hard enough by defensive injuries,they might be able to find someone to take Timmander's $1.2m.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:03 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Aucoinis a rfa.a good defensemen,but the isles have made no move to sign him to an extension.a good indication the nyi don't want to lockup him a lot of $ on Aucoin.

Jonsson's signed 1 yr beyond this one,has made comments about wanting to play home on Sweden.KJ cannot be looked upon as a longterm answer on the blueline.

24 yr old Asham had 15 goals last yr.Just a few less then Arnason and more then Bell's average.

Calder's on pace for a career high 24 goals.Hunter's on pace for 32 goals.

toss in kids like Weinhandl,Bergenheim,Mapletoft,Papineau and I don't see the need to move a 29 yr old,4x all-star dman to add a couple of 23-24 yr old young forwards.

and while Hamrlik's extension is not guaranteed,he's pushing hard enough for it and the isles reluctance to move him,have me hoping both sides are giving a little bit and an extensions not far off.
If the isles are going to trade one of their top4 I would rather trade Hammer. Both Hammer and Niinamaa play similar styles and I think we need Aucoin on the team. He is the most durable, is a leader and eats up huge amts of ice time. I hope we can keep all 4 but if it were up to me Hammer would go

Old
11-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
If the isles are going to trade one of their top4 I would rather trade Hammer. Both Hammer and Niinamaa play similar styles and I think we need Aucoin on the team. He is the most durable, is a leader and eats up huge amts of ice time. I hope we can keep all 4 but if it were up to me Hammer would go

I disagree. Hammer is far more talented, and much more consistent in the use of his physical game.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:11 AM
disles1

Quote:
I disagree. Hammer is far more talented, and much more consistent in the use of his physical game.
I agree Hammer is more talented but Aucoin is a leader and Hammer is not. He sometimes looks lost or disinterested out there. I don't want either to go but I would keep Aucoin. But we would no doubt get more in return for Hammer.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree Hammer is more talented but Aucoin is a leader and Hammer is not. He sometimes looks lost or disinterested out there. I don't want either to go but I would keep Aucoin. But we would no doubt get more in return for Hammer.

Hamrlik is moody, and he does go into funks. Can't say I've ever been an Aucoin fan, however, although he has been playing great.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:29 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Aucoin is a +13 already this year - this would not be amazing by itself except that no other Isles player is close, such as his D partners.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Aucoin is a +13 already this year - this would not be amazing by itself except that no other Isles player is close, such as his D partners.

Yup. He has been playing great. But, Aucoin goes through periods of really high level play. Trouble is that he is inconsistent.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Sabot55

vCash:
Quote:

Depends on what we are looking for in a defenseman. Foote, overall, is a rock and is more valuable that Hamrlik. However, Hamrlik is a better passer and puck mover, and has better overall offensive skills. Foote's stats last year are more an aberition. He also plays on an offensive juggernaut.

Foote is far better in his own end, and has good leadership abilities.

This is all relative, though, to which team you are talking about. Calgary, for example, is laden with defensively sound d-men, and would likely rather have Hamrlik given the choice. Buffalo, which has a great skating but on-the-whole unphysical blueline, would rather take Foote.

It's all situational.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
I think MM scouted the Norfolk Admirals when they came to town to take on the Soundtigers last week.

There was an article someone had posted without a link(not on this board) that suggested that the Isles where checking out Anton Babchuk, D and Mikhail Yakubov, C

The way Peca has been playing it seems like he's the guy on the block.
I absolutely love Anton Babchuk. I was sick in the head when we could not draft him.

Yakubov is OKay... but i doubt he becomes a star.

We've come a long way if we are now saying we will trade Michael Peca for Babchuk and Yakubov, though...

Old
11-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
I absolutely love Anton Babchuk. I was sick in the head when we could not draft him.

Yakubov is OKay... but i doubt he becomes a star.

We've come a long way if we are now saying we will trade Michael Peca for Babchuk and Yakubov, though...

I was disappointed that they didn't get him as well, especially when he fell that far.

Closed Thread