HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Blackhawks @ Predators l 10/05 l 7 CT l FSN l GM.1

Old
10-06-2006, 07:54 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 14200
My notes and observations

Zanon-Suter really killed us last night. I made the observation last season that "for every nice play Suter makes, he makes 2-3 really bone head plays." The same went for last night.

Havlat has some awesome moves. Hanzus also played well I thought.

Give me Upshall and get rid of Nichol. Dont scratch him, just get rid of him.

Vasicek is slow and hits like a 90 pound woman. Thankfully, he knows how to position himself for success every once in a while.

The team was just too relaxed. They expected a win, They expected to score at will, and never got into panic mode. They didnt go to sleep, they just lightly napped throughout the whole game.

I watched 4-5 games last night. And let me tell you, alot of teams are looking good. Unless Vokoun plays Vezina-like for the remaining 81 games, we are gonna lose alot with the "score as much as you can and float because Vokoun will shut it down" attitude.

So did Gaylord lose the naming rights? Pete kept referring to the " home of the predators" and I noticed the name wasnt at center ice anymore. We have started the season with all 4 on ice sponsors though, so that is good.

Im not too upset since it is only game 1, but I will be soon if we dotn tighten up.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I don't think the defense was as bad as some are making it out to be, the same for Suter. Ryan was unfortunate to be paired with Zanon who had a terrible game. Neither played well, but Greg was clearly the worst defenseman suited up for us last night. As for Vokoun, even if it was a 2 on 1 break, the defensemen cut the angles in half or pushed them out wide almost every time. Vokoun still let the shot in. He just played awful.

Khabibulin stole about 3 goals from Hartnell last night. The guy has an unreal glove hand in tight. We beat him with longer shots typically all night.

10-06-2006, 11:26 AM
PredsMan

I agree enoch, it also seemed Chicaga picked alot of corners on Tomas tonite, too...

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Olaf

That was the worst I have seen Vokoun, I think everyone jumps the gun a little on the young D. Last year they hung TV out to dry several times a game and he would bail them out. Last night he was really fighting it....even on routine saves he was juggling the puck. Some nerves to perform with the fat contract?

-If we are going to have Sully and Z roaming the blueline on the PP, then expect some shorties this year.

- Havlat was awesome last night..

- I like Dumont's game, he was poised in the corners and showed nice open ice skill.

- Kariya missed several oportunities on open shots for the slot during the PP, not even on net. I expect Sully to make something happen every shift, he is exciting, but last night he just created turnovers.

- We used to be a team that consisted of mostly just good penalty killers...now w/out Walker, Johnson, Eaton and Markov....we are suspect in the PK. It will need to improve in a hurry... Legwand, Smithson and Timonen on the 1st PK makes me nervous.

- Arnott made a couple nice down low passes that guys were not ready for....wish he would get back on D like Legwand.
- Legwand...save for the faceoffs he looked really good tonight.
- Agreee with everyone....would rather of seen Upshall tonight than Nichol or Hordi (who took an awful penalty)..

- the crowd was good early, but man did that 3rd goal for the Hawks suck the life out of that place. And for those that left early ...... with as much offense being played it was a shame to see people flock to the exits with 7 minutes left. With a minute left the crowd was certainly back into the game.

It's just 1 game...and this team has loads of skill and will put a lot of pressure on opposing teams, it is nice to be able to cycle the puck for a change.. 40 shots plus another 14 missed shots....6 goals....If Vokoun plays anything close to his usual self this is an easy win. Matter of fact I can't think of any real big save from Vokoun last night..

And the ice was bad....lots of bouncing and several guys falling.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
That was the worst I have seen Vokoun, I think everyone jumps the gun a little on the young D. Last year they hung TV out to dry several times a game and he would bail them out. Last night he was really fighting it....even on routine saves he was juggling the puck. Some nerves to perform with the fat contract?

-If we are going to have Sully and Z roaming the blueline on the PP, then expect some shorties this year.

- Havlat was awesome last night..

- I like Dumont's game, he was poised in the corners and showed nice open ice skill.

- Kariya missed several oportunities on open shots for the slot during the PP, not even on net. I expect Sully to make something happen every shift, he is exciting, but last night he just created turnovers.

- We used to be a team that consisted of mostly just good penalty killers...now w/out Walker, Johnson, Eaton and Markov....we are suspect in the PK. It will need to improve in a hurry... Legwand, Smithson and Timonen on the 1st PK makes me nervous.

- Arnott made a couple nice down low passes that guys were not ready for....wish he would get back on D like Legwand.
- Legwand...save for the faceoffs he looked really good tonight.
- Agreee with everyone....would rather of seen Upshall tonight than Nichol or Hordi (who took an awful penalty)..

- the crowd was good early, but man did that 3rd goal for the Hawks suck the life out of that place. And for those that left early ...... with as much offense being played it was a shame to see people flock to the exits with 7 minutes left. With a minute left the crowd was certainly back into the game.

It's just 1 game...and this team has loads of skill and will put a lot of pressure on opposing teams, it is nice to be able to cycle the puck for a change.. 40 shots plus another 14 missed shots....6 goals....If Vokoun plays anything close to his usual self this is an easy win. Matter of fact I can't think of any real big save from Vokoun last night..

And the ice was bad....lots of bouncing and several guys falling.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except about Arnott getting back. From what I saw, Arnott was getting back alot and made some good defensive plays. Maybe I missed a few. I did notice one time where he even beat Zanon back to the defensive zone.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:34 PM
5major

I know one game doesnt mean much, but you have to think the coaches arent happy about this one...Anytime you give up 8 goals in a game is a big problem. I know its the new NHL, but 8 goals in pewee hockey is way too many....Hope we can turn it around on Saturday night by paying a little more attention to defense (forwards and d-men included).

5major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

It is just one game, and maybe the team had read too many press clippings. I expected the D to be rough around the edges for at least a month. We are expecting young guys to play BIG roles now.

Chicago is better than I thought they would be, but I knew they would be better than last year. I knew Havlat would be hard to contain but he played like a guy out to prove himself.

The crew gets a few days to work on the ice in the 'barn on Broadway', Home of the Preds, etc. Guess management is determined not to give Gaylord any more freebies. I thought I heard a rumor a new sponsorship was possible, maybe that is a factor as well...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 14200
well say what you will about the D, but I am going to stick by may remark that Suter needs alot of work to round out his game. I was never impressed with him at any point last year and I didnt see too much to get excited about last night.

Having said that, I realize that he is still very green so Im not going to write him off yet.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:23 PM
HellsBells

How did Martin Erat play?? I saw he played 24:12 and picked up two assists. He's someone that always looked ready to break out when I saw him play. Hope he keeps getting icetime like that, he's fun to watch IMO.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
How did Martin Erat play?? I saw he played 24:12 and picked up two assists. He's someone that always looked ready to break out when I saw him play. Hope he keeps getting icetime like that, he's fun to watch IMO.
Erat is a very good offensive player. His biggest strength, is also his biggest weakness (and this isn't a cliche.) This strength is that he is very very hard to take the puck away from, both physically or positionally. On the flip side, his tenacity with the puck sees him underutilize his teammates. Still, last night he did well picking up two assists, although one of them came off about a minute straight of solitary puck possession.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Erat is a very good offensive player. His biggest strength, is also his biggest weakness (and this isn't a cliche.) This strength is that he is very very hard to take the puck away from, both physically or positionally. On the flip side, his tenacity with the puck sees him underutilize his teammates. Still, last night he did well picking up two assists, although one of them came off about a minute straight of solitary puck possession.
I thought I was gonna get caught on the house mics for yelling out "Pick your head up and pass the Puck Erat" during that minute of solitary puck confinement

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Pred303

late, but here goes anyway;

* WARNING.. long rambling post to follow, parts of which may be unsuitable for minors and defensive-oriented hockey fans*

Well... first let's look on the bright side, we're second in the league in scoring. The crowd was good. No one got hurt. We still have 81 more games to play. Detroit lost. The new uniforms for the ice girls are very form fitting. Our offense is going to be just as good as most of us thought it would be. Games are going to be more exciting (cough) than ever before. Upshall will be well rested for Saturday's game.

Very tough game to summarize and recap in a coherent manner honestly, because so much happened, or didn't happen. Basically, it was a rehash of what most of us have been saying, both the areas most of us were worried about or confident of. The penalty kill worries remain. The defensive experience worries remain. The defensive mind-set of icing many "two-way" defensemen remain. The worry about chemistry of so many new faces remains. Some worries about the sharpness of vokoun after such a long layoff remain. Our ability to score goals in bunches on the offensive end is going to be just as great as we thought it would be. About the only thing that didn't click, that most of us expect to, was our first unit powerplay.

A few general random observations from a tired hockey fan;

...trotz slept poorly last night i guarantee. A guy who has always been a defense first type of coach, had to have been sick at his stomach after that game. Of course, we don't really know, since the stupid post game show doesn't cover his after game comments! come on guys, i'd 100 times rather hear him than willy whitewashing our performance or idiots calling in.
...vokoun was shakey all night of course, despite the excuses they gave in the wrapup. He never looked settled in, always in motion, drifted off the near post twice on hard angle shots. Fumbling pucks, not crisp at all in any aspect. In retrospect he should have been pulled for confidence sakes after the shorthanded goal at least. Admittedly a tough call in game one, when you just keep waiting and waiting for him to settle in.
...this team could well lead the league in scoring, not nessarily a great thing when it's because all 18 skaters are thinking offense. Let's try letting the forwards play offense, and the d-men play defense next game. The forward lines we are putting out there are something else to be honest. We simply now have to think defense first, and we still have enough offensive talent to score plenty of goals.
...Let me get this straight. We send radulov down because scotty upshall has played too well. we then proceed to sit upshall down because scott nichol needs to be on a scoring line?.. i don't get it, surely upshall was sick, or something.
...Sullivan and kariya actually had the two worse games among our forwards. both were soft on the puck all night, both tried to stickhandle in traffic too much, both were a little too 'cute',both had pass after pass deflected into scoring chances at the other end. sully had far too many soft touch pass attempts way out at the blueline in dangerous territory, and we payed for that twice.
...watching this game last night, Chicago reminded me of us on defense last year.. a team relying almost totally on counterattacking with speed out of their defensive zone on any mistakes made by the offensive team, after watching the other team totally dominate them in zonetime and shot attempt wise. and then taking a turnover and headmaning a pass for an odd man rush the other way.
...i tried to tell people that havlat, handzus, and smolinski made chicago a more dangerous team. someone appears to have failed to mention this to our players too unfortunately. Havlat is a heck of a player. that powerplay move was a thing of beauty as well as was the breakaway. he alone will make chicago an improved team, much less adding in a handzus who is a solid player himself.
...Defensively, last night was what i would classify as a pure team effort by our defensemen. pretty much everyone can have a finger pointed at him and say "he contributed to that goal allowed".
...We have too many good offensive forwards to fit into our pp. while you would think this was a good problem (and it is of course), it is a problem if it forces us to make unwise personnel choices on the pp units. In my honest opinion, playing sullivan on the point on the first unit pp in order to 'crowd' erat into the pp is a mistake. Just like last year, if we insist on doing this, it will cause us to give up far too many backbreaking shorthanded goals. Last night, that shorthanded goal beginning the 3rd was the goal that beat us. Shorthanded goals simply have a way of being goals that lose you a game. 1 for frigging 9 on the pp with this much talent will also get you beat many nights. 16 minutes to 2 minutes of pp time, and they score 3 special team goals and we score 1. We lost the game on special teams. And yes our first unit looked good on the first 3 pp's, but the fact is is that in over 10 minutes of pp time, the first unit didn't score a goal.
...If you would have told me before the game we would have 9 pp's and they would have 2, i'd have bet money we beat them by 5 goals.
...On a very positive note, us only taking two penalties was phenominal. Which after looking at our pk last night, is probably about 1 more than we can afford per game. To be honest, the first pp goal was simply a great play by havlat, and then on the second one, it was a horrible change with 10 seconds remaining after what had been a good attempt right until then. The pk continues to worry me more than any one single area however, and it will until we show some ability here
...the game length. about 15 minutes longer than normal because of the new 45 second rule in between goals and the extra 2 minutes between periods. of course 14 one minute breaks after each goal adds up when it's 8-6.

Now, goal-by-goal

1-0 ... what a move by dumont. this guy can play one-on-one hockey. he's going to score some goals this year. great move on the between the legs of the dman and nice little backhand poke. khabibulin should have had this one, but it was a great effort that made the play.
2-0 ... great last 30 seconds of a pp by the second unit. nice passing by weber and legwand to sit timonen up. fine shot from the point, pretty pp goal. i actually thought the puck deflected off hartnell, even looking at it again at home on replay.
2-1 .. timonen caught in between pinching. puck hops over his stick in the mid slot. his fault. havlat with a pretty breakaway, ate vokoun up. a goal that typifies the risk when a d-man gets caught thinking offense. bad ice? possibly.
2-2 ...zanon caught in a rookie mistake pinched off the puck by the net. suter trying to react to cover up for zanon leaves his man. nice crosscrease pass to sharp, whose shot hits vokoun in the glove and goes in. a shot i've seen vokoun glove more times than not in the past. No help down low from smithson.
2-3 ...weber trips in open ice and turns the puck over at our own blueline. great little droppass by holmqvist creating space. hard shot by handzus from a tough angle to beat vokoun at the near post. not sure, despite claims from the announcers whether the puck deflected off weber or whether weber simply screened vokoun or whether vokoun left the near post too soon.. probably all three combined
3-3 ...preds with a picture-perfect three on two break. legwand with a give and go pass to hartnell, hartnell with a pretty return to legwand. sullivan spliting the middle and causing chaos driving to the net. legwand with a beauty of a one timer.
4-3 ... erat doing his skating around with the puck thing. notice as soon as he gives the puck up he gets open and suter gets it back to him for a nice open point shot. vasicek with a nice tip. thought at the time that this would prove to be a huge goal.
4-4 ... wrong. we take our first penalty and havlat kills us twenty seconds into the pp. letting havlat walk in off the halfboards splits legwand and timonen, hamhuis leaves his man on the far post to help. goal chicago. sometimes you just have to hand it to the other guy, havlat simply made this happen with a truly great play.
4-5 ... the difference maker in this game... us on the pp, sullivan ont he point with a weak,weak crossice backhand pass attempt in territory where you cann't make this try. zidlicky caught lazily skating in to try a onetimer off this weak pass, when he should have been bailing to cover defensively. to top it off bourque with a bad angle, unscreened shot, that catches vokoun with an open 5 hole on a shot he has to stop.
4-6 ... pk number two. we look good for 1:45. an absolutely awful change of pk'ers as time is running out allows bourque and smolinski to beat us back... everyone automatically blames zanon here because he's trailing smolinski in, but the true culprit was the god-awful change on the fly that allowed it.
4-7 ... right about now i'm really mad at the world... vrbata makes it worse. we turn the puck over in the neutral zone on a little touch pass attempt by weber, which was bad in a high risk area of the ice. of course to be honest sully has made a difficult pass to an outnumbered weber to put him in this situation to begin with (of course you could say this is what you see when you're down by two goals late and pressing to make plays).. still a bad turnover, at a bad time.. vrbata gets hamhuis to go down and in doing so hamhuis screens vokoun. vokoun caught overreacting and leaves the near post too soon and bam.
5-7 ... legwand with a nice hard centering pass to a breaking kariya. i still thought kariya got a stick on it to deflect it in, but no matter, a good play by legwand.
6-7 ... sullivan with a nice rising point shot right after the pp expires, (hope this doesn't cause trotz to decide that sully needs to be on the pp point still, but i know we'll still keep doing it).. some retribution for sully who otherwise didn't have a good game
6-8 ... havlat with what has to be said was a beautiful empty netter. about as pretty and hard working an empty net goal as you'll ever see, with timonen doing everything illegal he could think of to hold him off.. it's what we know as the proverbial nail in the coffin..

ok, time to forget this one and move on... only if the same problems continue is there a cause for worry... one thing i absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that anyone that loves offense is going to love this team... i hope my nerves can take this

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:45 PM
lstcyr

pred303 - thanks for the review. I really enjoy your comments after every game.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:14 PM
handtrick

A little late, but after getting a chance to watch the tape, our defense didn't play as overall a bad game, and Vokoun wasn't as bad as I initially thought, having watched it live.
Admittedly there were defensive mistakes, and un-Vokoun like soft goals, but this is the breakdown of our goals against, as I saw it:

Goal 1 - Havlat breakaway.....Kimmo's fault...he let Havlat get behind him, nice move on Vokoun....he really had no chance, as he went for the deke and Havlat with a skilled backhand winner.

Goal 2 - Vokoun with that fluttering kickpass along the boards that Suter can't handle....Sharp takes it away from Suter....passes to Borque down low.....Borque drives behind the net as Zanon comes over from the weak side to seal off the right post....Borque passes cross crease to Sharp still at left circle.....Suter had followed Lapointe across the front of the crease, as he drove to the net to tie him up......Tootoo didn't pick up Sharp [didn't pick up anybody for that matter and was just skating around aimlessly around the left circle during the rubarb] and left him alone for the nice shot, off Vokoun's glove and in.....multiple problems, but Tootoo most of the blame for not picking up Sharp at all.

Goal 3 - Nice drop pass by Holmquist to Handzus......Weber takes Handzus, and Handzus gets off nice shot using Weber as screen from right circle putting it stick side over shoulder of Vokoun.....Vokoun didn't have much of a chance.....Weber played it as well as he could....just a good offensive play.

Goal 4 - On the PP, Havlat off the halfboards with some unbelievable stick handling....sold Kimmo on the fake pass to Handzus in the corner, getting him to bite and drive around him.....Hamhuis and Smithson both collapse on Havlat as he drives leaving Lapointe at the right point for a nice back hand pass, beating Vokoun on a nice play....Vokoun came close to getting over to get it........main fault were Kimmo > Hamhuis, but overall a pretty play by Havlat.

Goal 5 - Preds on PP....VERY weak backhand pass from Sullivan on left point over to Zidlicky who doesn't go strong to the puck....Borque kicks it out and races down left wing .......Vokoun comes out to take away the angle, but leaves fivehole open as he backs in from Borque's shot from the left circle....Vokoun could have had this one...... Multiple blame to go around on this one....but I would say fault Sullivan > Vokoun > Zidlicky

Goal 6 - Hawks on PP.....forwards are changing, but Zanon and Suter stay out on ice.....we clear and Aucoin passes two line pass up to Borque who is at our blueline, inexplicably behind Suter and Smolinski breaks behind Zanon. Both Zanon and Suter were at the redline for some unknown reason on a forward change.....
Borque passes to Smolinski....Smolinski bobbles the puck giving Vokoun to react to the cross ice pass, but Smolinski beats him over the shoulder stick side.....usually Vokoun would have stopped it, but not tonite....blame Suter >= Zanon >> Vokoun

Goal 7- Zids drives in deep to carry puck across blueline and deep into corner, but it gets taken off his stick.....Hamhuis stays back, but nobody rotates back for Zidlicky as Dumont, Arnott, and Sully all drive to the net....Vrbata goes pushing it up the left wing....Arnott races back to cover the pass to Smolinski and ends up covering it well.....Hamhuis is patient, he goes into a crouch to take away the pass, but Vrbata delays and then as Hamhuis is coming out of the crouch....vrbata shoots and the puck deflects off Hamhuis's left inside skateblade, deflecting it back to the right post that Vokoun was off about a foot......blame....nobody really...lucky deflection.....Hamhuis played it as well as he could, Arnott hustled back to tie up Smolinski.

So as I see it, there is a lot of blame to go around......Suter and Zanon with a couple rookie mistakes.....Tootoo misses a pick up.....Kimmo with two bad plays with Havlat making him look like a rookie.....Sullivan with a very weak play at the point [did I ever say, that I can't stand Sully at the point ].....Vokoun plays human and could have had a couple of those, but he was let out to dry on a few of those, but these are the ones he has to stop to be considered elite.

Legwand played a tremendous game.....he is looking to shoot, beautiful one-timer goal, skating hard...nice passes and play making, and digging in the corners....good chemistry with Hartnell

Hartnell was a force around the net....could have had 2-3 goals.....this is the way Hartnell is effective....keep it up and the numbers will come.

Arnott snakebit around the net, but his widebody and hands will get his share of goals, I have no doubt. 4 key draw wins at the end of the game to keep us in it.

I have read all the uproar about Nichol playing on the third line wing and scratching Upshall, and I got to agree that it is a big head scratcher, and make you think a deal for him may be in the works, but Nichol was involved in a number of nice scoring chances with Legwand and Hartnell....he just didn't finish.....and therein lies the rap against Nichol....whereas Upshall plays the same gritty game, but can finish. I think Trotz has a mancrush on Nichol, as well as Fiddler, with his remarks about Nichol being one of the leaders and being such a smart player.
All that being said, Nichol played a decent game.

All in all, we didn't play as bad as the score indicated....it is almost nice to have a wake up call early, that we can't win by offense alone.....the defense does not have to pinch very often, as we have the offensive talent up front to put up big numbers by themselves.....and Vokoun will return as the Vokoun we all know and love, I have no doubts.....shake it off and go concentrate on a road win in Minnesota.....I am not really that worried yet.

Last edited by handtrick: 10-06-2006 at 10:20 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:23 PM
C-J Carlson

Exciting game, if difficult to listen to. Havlat and Legwand were both great. Legwand looks like he's fully recovered from the knee surgery. And he showed up his naysayers last night.

Vokoun looked very rusty. He's hard on himself, so he'll likely personally take a lot of the blame for the loss. He'll be much better against Minnesota. Unless Mason gets the call. Unlikely.

Like burnlikestars, I wasn't impressed with Suter last year either. IMO, he should have spent last season with AHL Milwaukee. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down this year, much like Erat was sent down for a year after a full season in Nashville. Klein looked like a vet in the couple of games he played in Nashville. It'd be nice to see him play at least a half-dozen games with the Predators. It's not like we have anybody else to bring up. Not Yonkman; that's for sure.

Zanon looked terrible. IMO, Lehtonen will impress everybody when he gets his chance. He hasn't played in the NHL yet, but he's older and experienced enough from playing in an elite league in Finland. He'll play very well. Send Zanon back to AHL Milwaukee as soon as Henry is healthy.

I was very surprised that Upshall was scratched in place of Nichol. That said, IMO, Nichol played a good game. Upshall provides more offense, but that sure wasn't our problem last night, so...

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Good analysis Handtrick, but regardless of the circumstances, Vokoun has a lot of the blame to share. For example, the Vrbata goal, regardless of deflection should have been all but impossible. Vrbata had no angle. Hamhuis scooted him out, took away the pass, and the goal still went in. Tomas was a bit overzealous all night long, and I think that was obvious in both the way he was making saves and in the way he handled the puck away from the net. I do agree, though, that this will be an anamoly, and Vokoun will be fine.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:35 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
So we only go 81-1, is it really that bad?

Well we definitely have an offense. D and Vokoun we didn't have too much of.

Leggy played great!

If Vokoun plays like his regular self, then we would have had no problem.

I did like the way we battled back though, not just mailing in the last 8 minutes or so.

Havlat is great. He's a lot faster than I knew.

We had Khabby shaken after the 2nd goal. The puck went in and he kind of shook his hands like cursing at himself. But then he came back with some good saves. And Vokoun let in some bad goals to give Khabby some life back.

Lots of shots. They don't look afraid to shoot this year.

Arnott takes up so much room just standing in front of the net. And he had a nice backhand chance too.

Just couldn't capitalize on our lots of good chances. I'm hopeful that it'll be corrected in Minny, and we'll get our first win.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:44 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Speaking of Legwand I saw some hilights from the game and man, he looks good

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
braindead

From seeing it live I would say the culprits were the following:

1. Cute, high risk passes on slow ice.
2. Pinching defensemen.
3. Very, very soft outing by Vokoun.

The first two will be solved quickly IMO. The last worries me that it may take some games for TV to shake out the cobwebs. Either way, this looks like a defense that will be solid after 20 games or so to sort it out. I definitely agree that Zanon was the weakest-- I'd be amazed if Lehtonen doesn't see action tonight and agree with BP that he will impress on both ends of the ice. Henry will add some stability if not high end talent when he comes back. Not too worried about that first game (other than hoping TV is not way out of his groove).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:16 AM
C-J Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
From seeing it live I would say the culprits were the following:

1. Cute, high risk passes on slow ice
That's been a major problem for a long time, no matter the condition of the ice. I'm frustrated that Trotz or one of the more responsible players on the team hasn't torn into the rest of the team for this. This should be addressed aggressively at the beginning of every training camp. K.I.S.S. and win!

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote