Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Gill

Old
10-05-2006, 06:27 AM
MaCam

vCash: 500
Gill

I was watching the Ottawa Toronto game from time to time and it seemed like Gill had a pretty good game. Like I said I didn't watch the whole game, but whenever I had it on Gill seemed to be making some good defensive plays. What do you guys think?

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 06:28 AM
ap3lovr

I thought he did quite well. Kinda funny, he looked like the best Defenseman out on the ice for Toronto...

Couldn't help but notice that the Sens looked weak as hell on D in that first period

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 06:32 AM
MaCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
I thought he did quite well. Kinda funny, he looked like the best Defenseman out on the ice for Toronto...

Couldn't help but notice that the Sens looked weak as hell on D in that first period

He never played that well with us lol. Maybe the change in teams helped him out a lot and got him off to a fresh start.

Old
10-05-2006, 06:43 AM
1 of the 14448

You're kidding, right?

He got beat like a rental car by Neil on the goal and was his usual plodding self for most of the game.

I'm seriously considering getting the Center Ice package just to 1) Watch the TSN broadcasts and 2) Watch Gill underperform for the Leafs fans.

Last edited by 1 of the 14448: 10-05-2006 at 07:30 AM.
1 of the 14448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1927 View Post
I was watching the Ottawa Toronto game from time to time and it seemed like Gill had a pretty good game. Like I said I didn't watch the whole game, but whenever I had it on Gill seemed to be making some good defensive plays. What do you guys think?
He was OK until he got completely turned around on Chris Neil's goal. Way out of position and could not recover.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Ch 4 Action News

I hate to harp on Gill, being on another team now and all...thank god, but did watch the game yesterday and saw the same old Gill. Passing to absolutely nobody most of the time, slow as hell, getting burnt to the outside, and jumping into the offense for god knows why. If I was Maurice I would tell Gill that there was a certain spot on the ice I never want to see him past...the red line. Yes he had his occasional good play here and there, and going to the Leafs forum I saw the same old posts I used to see here all the time, "If he plays fewer minutes he can be a useful player". ROFLOL...thats akin to saying "If I drink 6 beers instead of 12 I might be able to drive home tonight without wrapping my car around a telephone pole."

I do hope he plays all 82 for the Leafs, and 20 minutes of ice time a night.

Ch 4 Action News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Duguay2

I thought Hal was solid, but he's got to learn not to let other teams 4th liners beat him on the outside! In that; I see the same Hal Gill. A guy who looks bad if you're watching only highlights, but solid 4-5ths of the time otherwise. Foot speed will always cost him, but it cannot be from 3 & 4th line players -- or Toronto will remind him of Boston. Also, Toronto is using him as the 4th man. Too many minutes if you ask me. Play him in the last set, and on PK, and this guy (although overpaid) will be fine, just as he would have been here (for 1.5 mil IMO).

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Charge_Seven

Gill was playing the 3rd/4th D man role, when in reality, he's our 6th Dman. Once our second pairing (Kubina and Wozniewski for now, Kubina and Colaiacovo once he's playing) takes to the ice, Gill will be playing the limited minutes expected of him.

He's looked fairly solid in preseason, and last night he was the victim of his poor skating, but once our full D is in, he'll look a little bit better.

Charge_Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Dueman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack View Post
Gill was playing the 3rd/4th D man role, when in reality, he's our 6th Dman. Once our second pairing (Kubina and Wozniewski for now, Kubina and Colaiacovo once he's playing) takes to the ice, Gill will be playing the limited minutes expected of him.

He's looked fairly solid in preseason, and last night he was the victim of his poor skating, but once our full D is in, he'll look a little bit better.

He'll look better when he plays less. Now that's someone I'd be excited about having on my team. I won't miss him one second not wearing a B's sweater.

Dueman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
ap3lovr

he played better the McCabe

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
He was OK until he got completely turned around on Chris Neil's goal. Way out of position and could not recover.
Yup, and echo your sentiments Duguay about him not being well suited as their #4, which is what he currently is.

Also, how are you gonna have him and Belak out there at the same time. The Sens must have started drooling every time they saw that. Maybe it was just uneven line changes, but I saw them out there together at least twice.

I did think Rayzor looked ok, but I only caught the first 2 periods. I still think he'll end up being fine and rebounding. He won't be an elite goalie, but I can see him being a solid starter for most of his career.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Gill played an OK game. Obviously he's getting a lot more attention now that he's a Leaf. Analysts are all keying in on his immobility. Chris Neil made him look pretty bad but Neil did drop a few pounds (lighter than Fisher now) and was absolutely flying on that play. Gill did break up a few plays and had some good scoring chances (which he blew with weak shots).

Ottawa's defense looked very weak imo. They seemed to be missing something all game. A stabilizer. Someone to go out there and just take control. Redden didn't do it last night and obviously, they don't have Chara anymore. Mezsaros looked pretty good, as did Preissing before he got injured. Phillips and Volchenkov looked horrible. Poor Phillips played most of the last few seasons next to Chara. Now he is playing on his wrong side and with Volchenkov. That pairing could be problematic for the Sens.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:07 AM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Was that Gretzky?

Oh wait...just Hal Gill making Neil look like Gretz!

-Murph

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Puckboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 of the 14448 View Post
You're kidding, right?

He got beat like a rental car by Neil on the goal and was his usual plodding self for most of the game.

I'm seriously considering getting the Center Ice package just to 1) Watch the TSN broadcasts and 2) Watch Gill underperform for the Leafs fans.
I was waiting for someone to say it. He gets spun like a record. I do not think he made one pass. He just used his elastic man reach to get the puck and if he could handle it for a second he just fired it out of the zone. He is a player that has never shown me anything except size.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Gill played an OK game. Obviously he's getting a lot more attention now that he's a Leaf. Analysts are all keying in on his immobility. Chris Neil made him look pretty bad but Neil did drop a few pounds (lighter than Fisher now) and was absolutely flying on that play. Gill did break up a few plays and had some good scoring chances (which he blew with weak shots).

Ottawa's defense looked very weak imo. They seemed to be missing something all game. A stabilizer. Someone to go out there and just take control. Redden didn't do it last night and obviously, they don't have Chara anymore. Mezsaros looked pretty good, as did Preissing before he got injured. Phillips and Volchenkov looked horrible. Poor Phillips played most of the last few seasons next to Chara. Now he is playing on his wrong side and with Volchenkov. That pairing could be problematic for the Sens.

Phillips really was bad last night. He looked lost. Maybe he was looking for Zee in the corners, cos he had the look of a lost boy at a shopping mall all night.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Ortdogg

on sportscenter last night, they reveiwed the Ottawa Toronto game, and the pannel agreed that outside of wade belak, gill was the toronto's worst player. they said he is not worth the money in the "new" NHL.

sound familiar?

Ortdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack View Post

Playing limited mins is worth $2M a year? How limited?

Beezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
MaCam

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Like I said, I didn't watch the whole game and didn't see Neil's goal.

Old
10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Roo

Hal Gill played a pretty good game last night, especially considering he was our #3/4D with Colaiacovo and Kubina out.

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
The one goal the sens scored with Neil going around him wasnt due to his lack of speed (well, it was but not completely), he was playing between 2 forwards on a 3 on 2 rush. You cant just play one man or he'll just pass it. The Sens were coming with a head of steam and if he stayed in front of Neil he would of been out of position for the other Sen forward. That should of never happend to begin with, so the blame certainly isnt all on his hands.

On the PK he was very good, and overall played a good game defensively against a potent sens offense. My only knock on him is, for a big guy, he really isnt very physical. He doesnt seem to play with an edge, which is a shame, because he definately has the size and strength.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1927 View Post
He got pwn3d on Chris Neil's goal

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 11:40 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
On the PK he was very good,.
always liked gill's play on the PK - when he wasn't in the lineup, the PK suffered. what's funny is when certain posters lambaste the guy, and they themselves would get turned inside out by the fat kid in gym class deck hockey

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Phillips really was bad last night. He looked lost. Maybe he was looking for Zee in the corners, cos he had the look of a lost boy at a shopping mall all night.
Glad someone else noticed it. He was the worst player on the ice IMO. Funny, someone thought he was better than Brad Stuart a couple weeks ago. Not even close.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:49 PM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
always liked gill's play on the PK - when he wasn't in the lineup, the PK suffered. what's funny is when certain posters lambaste the guy, and they themselves would get turned inside out by the fat kid in gym class deck hockey
Really? It seemed to me that the PK suffered when Gill couldn't get the puck out of the defensive zone on the third try.

But maybe I'm just focusing on the bad things from last season. I liked Gill off-the-ice, he was a nice guy, and on the ice, he had his good and bad moments, as did everybody else.

10-05-2006, 02:32 PM
SPICOLI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
I thought Hal was solid

Hal Gill is about as solid as pudding.

It's the same old story for Gill (and Raycroft for that matter), just new uniforms. Forward gets puck, blows by Gill and beats Raycroft. I can't believe the Leafs were dumb (or desperate?) enough to sign this dynamic duo. There's gonna be a lot of unhappy season ticket holders in Toronto this season.

SPICOLI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
Playing limited mins is worth $2M a year? How limited?
I am not defending the signing, just saying that he's supposed to be our #5/6 guy, not 3/4 guy.

Charge_Seven is offline   Reply With Quote