Notices

Classic Bruins Marathon on NESN right now

Old
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
BackBringCam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
It was cool seeing Belanger light up Dale Hunter. I seriously hate Dale Hunter, one of the biggest cheap shot artists of all time.

This from a guy with Tim Dr Hook McKracken for an Avatar hahahahahaha

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
The only thing that made '97 even remotely entertaining was that we iced unmatched toughness that season. Tocchet, Odgers, Mallette, Chynoweth, Staios, Malkoc, Payne, Andre Roy and Sawyer all took the ice for the Bruins that season.

They even had a guy to actually start fights in Trent Mcleary (gutless puke) centering Odgers and Mallette.

Terrible season, but at least they played with some grit which they haven't (other than '97) since '88.

Great to hear the legendary Fred on NESN from time to time!
I wouldn't say 1988. More like late 1991 early 1992 when the B's let go of both Nilan and Byers within a couple months of each other. I think 1991 was the last year the Bruins had nightly dustups and still won the games too. That Detroit post-game brawl in the fall of 1991 was the absolute last thing resembling a donnybrook.
Unfortunately for the goon lovers, that 1997 debacle only strenghtens the argument that there is such a thing as being "too tough" in the modern NHL because that team was one of the worst non-expansion teams to take the ice in the last 15-20 years.
I did love Mallette though and wished they'd hung on to him despite his injuries. He was a tough dude and a good fighter. An aging Baumgartner wasn't much of an upgrade. In that era no one tops Ken Belanger in my book though. That guy could have had a Probert-like career (on ice) if not for that one bad concussion. He was huge, he could move well, always hit, and he fought angrily. I'll never forget the B's signing Randy Robitaille in 1997 after he finished school. Robitaille stepped onto the ice against the Islanders, took about 10 strides into his NHL career and Belanger pasted him onto the IR with a huge, clean hit. I think Harry made a decision to trade for Belanger that day.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
I wouldn't say 1988. More like late 1991 early 1992 when the B's let go of both Nilan and Byers within a couple months of each other. I think 1991 was the last year the Bruins had nightly dustups and still won the games too. That Detroit post-game brawl in the fall of 1991 was the absolute last thing resembling a donnybrook.
Unfortunately for the goon lovers, that 1997 debacle only strenghtens the argument that there is such a thing as being "too tough" in the modern NHL because that team was one of the worst non-expansion teams to take the ice in the last 15-20 years.
I did love Mallette though and wished they'd hung on to him despite his injuries. He was a tough dude and a good fighter. An aging Baumgartner wasn't much of an upgrade. In that era no one tops Ken Belanger in my book though. That guy could have had a Probert-like career (on ice) if not for that one bad concussion. He was huge, he could move well, always hit, and he fought angrily. I'll never forget the B's signing Randy Robitaille in 1997 after he finished school. Robitaille stepped onto the ice against the Islanders, took about 10 strides into his NHL career and Belanger pasted him onto the IR with a huge, clean hit. I think Harry made a decision to trade for Belanger that day.
I think Mike O'Connell actually made the trade for Belanger trading Ted "Skate Fightin' Man" Donato for him.

Come to think of it, we may have dressed Belanger, McSorley and Baumgartner a few times under Pat Burns. Pretty tough trio.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Cusick-n-Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I loved Fred and Derek, but there's no way Derek was a better color guy than Brick. More entertaining perhaps, but not better.

Even setting aside the fact that my obvious personal bias
(ie my name and avatar) made reading these words painful,
I have to disagree in a purely objective sense - I personally think
Brick OVER analyzes the play, to the point of just droning on about
one small play for far too long. A common phrase you will hear Brick
say is "...to get back to my point" because even after his broadcast
partner has tried to move on, Brick is still determined to find a 12th
way to say that standing up at your own blue line is essential to
stopping the attacking speed of TEAM X. I don't dislike Brick - in fact,
I really appreciated him during the playoffs on OLN last year, when he
seemed to rein in his rambling tendencies a bit and be more concise - but
I think a color man needs to bring a little more to the booth than a chalkboard.

Derek was the most entertaining color man I've ever heard, yet he was also
almost always correct in what he saw, and knew the game as well as anyone
you can put put out there. His combination of personality & knowledge was the
best the game has ever seen, IMO.

Cusick-n-Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick-n-Sanderson View Post
Even setting aside the fact that my obvious personal bias
(ie my name and avatar) made reading these words painful,
I have to disagree in a purely objective sense - I personally think
Brick OVER analyzes the play, to the point of just droning on about
one small play for far too long. A common phrase you will hear Brick
say is "...to get back to my point" because even after his broadcast
partner has tried to move on, Brick is still determined to find a 12th
way to say that standing up at your own blue line is essential to
stopping the attacking speed of TEAM X. I don't dislike Brick - in fact,
I really appreciated him during the playoffs on OLN last year, when he
seemed to rein in his rambling tendencies a bit and be more concise - but
I think a color man needs to bring a little more to the booth than a chalkboard.

Derek was the most entertaining color man I've ever heard, yet he was also
almost always correct in what he saw, and knew the game as well as anyone
you can put put out there. His combination of personality & knowledge was the
best the game has ever seen, IMO.
While I like Brick, I agree that Derek was much more entertaining to listen to. He did his job like a fan and didn't over-analyze.

I liked the "hey, hey" when a Bruin would steal the puck. The classics were "long-in-the-tooth, "bisquit in the basket", "lost a few chicklets" which simply meant "no salt on the steak for a few days".

He also had a few on-air disputes with Dave Shea that were funny.

I think what made Derek great is that he was a fan first and an analyst second.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
"He had him dead to rights!!" - F. Cusick

One of my favorite taglines.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick-n-Sanderson View Post
Even setting aside the fact that my obvious personal bias...

Derek was the most entertaining color man I've ever heard, yet he was also almost always correct in what he saw, .
Well, I agree with you and DC from an entertainment perspective...Derek wins hands down. But, I stand by my previous comment...I like that Brick analyses the plays to death, I dig the minutia, and that's actually why I said he is better than Derek.

Now to quibble with you statements quoted above...you can't set aside your personal bias (no one can) it's simply not possible.

Derek almost always correct? The Bruins NEVER lost a fight when Derek was the color man, right? I loved Derek, in part, because he was such a homer he would often miss the obvious.

But hey, it's no biggie. I really enjoy Brick and always loved Derek. And yes, DC, "spittin' out chicklets" was classic.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote