HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have you ever gotten a puck off the ice?

Old
10-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Smerri

vCash: 500
Have you ever gotten a puck off the ice?

Im 18, and I got a warm-up puck at one game before.
My dad's 54 and he got the puck when it came into the stands on Ray Bourque nght (he was 50 or so at the time, and had been going to games and following the B's all his life so I was glad to see him get that). This was before they put netting up behind the goals.

Those are the only 2 times my family has a gotten a puck off the ice. Have any of you guys/your family members been lucky enough to snag a puck when it came into the stands?

Smerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
I got one for my GF at a New Mexico Scorpions game of the CHL. That's about it.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:53 PM
wevegotalotoflosses

when I clicked on the thread I thought it was going to be about shooting/passing the puck. Now I get it. No.

wevegotalotoflosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Smerri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevegotalotoflosses View Post
when I clicked on the thread I thought it was going to be about shooting/passing the puck. Now I get it. No.
Oh, after thinking about it, yes, I understand why. Guess I should have worded it better,

Smerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

I've got 4 pucks at bruins games before i got them all by standing by the glass during warmups and the players would slip them through the camera hole to me

13Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
BruinAddict

When I was in tyke, I would take slapshots with my blade angled underneath the puck so that it would come off the ice. Those were some special days!

Errr.. oh! Nope, I've never had the opportunity to fetch an errant puck.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
dabid

Too poor to sit close enough.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:24 PM
EmptyNetter

I haven't, but last season I saw a ref at a Bruins game toss a puck over the glass to a little kid. About 15 minutes later in the game he came back and pretended like he was out of pucks, and could he have the puck back. It was good to see that level of interaction with the fans.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I've gotten a couple pucks at practices, when they were shot into the netting or handed over the glass to me by players.

I've missed out on quite a few at warm-ups, as I'm not usually paying attention and have a camera in my hands. Once a puck came close to whacking me off the head.

I've had pucks "shot" at me, technically at the glass where I was sitting, during warmups. Dallman was infamous for doing it every single game, both in Providence during the lockout and in Boston.

Never gotten one during game-play and never been hit by a puck. I'd like that streak to continue.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

My father got a puck from the game between Sweden and Soviet in the 1987 World Championships. He gave it to me and now it sits on my shelf next to an Emperor Palpatine figure

Dr Seldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Slightly off topic here, but this is my favorite souveneir-at-a-game story:

I was at a PawSox game about three years ago. The Sox ended the inning on a ground out. As the opposing first baseman was heading to the dugout, he tossed the ball into the box seats on the first base side. About 100 kids put their arms up to catch the ball. The ball evaded all 100 hands, and landed squarely on the top of the head of the one kid who wasn't paying attention. It bounced off his head about 15 feet up and back, and some other kid caught the ball on the fly. Fortunately, the kid's noggin was ok, although I don't think he heard the end of it from his buddies.

I've never caught a puck at a game.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
BoyntBergie

When I was a lad, my grandfather knew someone in the Bull Gang at the Garden. I got to go watch a pre-game skate down by the bench area. Doug Keans handed me a puck, and his stick cause he had chipped it up during the warm up. Still have both.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:54 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
When I was a lad, my grandfather knew someone in the Bull Gang at the Garden. I got to go watch a pre-game skate down by the bench area. Doug Keans handed me a puck, and his stick cause he had chipped it up during the warm up. Still have both.
sweet...i have daniel berthiaume's stick from warm-ups (don't recall exact season). the stick was actually part of andy moog's collection though, and if any casual fans ask, i just say it is moog's stick

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Ogie Ogilthorpe

I got one years back. My girlfriend was sitting in the aisle, and I was in the second seat. The puck cam over the glass, bounced off a couple people, and landed two steps behind my girlfriend. She looked at me and said " Hey, the puck" as matter of factly as you could get. I proceeded to push her out of the way and grab the puck just before anyone else located it. She was mad at me for pushing her out of my way but hockey is a physical sport...

Ogie Ogilthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
ez42x10

vCash: 50
got one from ken hodge jr. (sr. was standing right next to him) at the B's skills competiton one year. it was a NHL 75th anniversary puck.

edit: this one...

Last edited by ez42x10: 10-06-2006 at 02:25 PM.
ez42x10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
sweet...i have daniel berthiaume's stick from warm-ups (don't recall exact season). the stick was actually part of andy moog's collection though, and if any casual fans ask, i just say it is moog's stick
Nice, and hey, if it was one of Moog's sticks, technically, you're telling the truth. DB is just the one who gave it to you.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. I'll never forget all the drunken oafs trying to get it from me throughout the game too. Sadly, being the knucklehead I was (and some will tell you still am), I did use the stick in a few street hockey games. Not much damage done though. No curve on it whatsoever either, which you don't find much anymore.

Old
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
hutch22

My brother and I were at the "Last Hurrah" (last game played at the old Boston Garden) and we were standing near the gate where the B's exit, and Brent Hughes flipped a puck to us. Brent Hughes...you da man...also I was at BU hockey game when I was 10 (pre Jack Parker) and Coach Jack Kelley called me over to the BU bench (right in the middle of the game) and gave me a brand spanking new hockey stick. How cool was that for a 10 year old? Last game ever between BU and Colby. BU won 9-3. (1963)

hutch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
BBruin66

Send a message via AIM to BBruin66
There's nothing as excting as sitting at UMaine home game in the student section right over the back of the away net for warmups. Shots of the crossbar whizzing by your face, bouncing around and taking out tubas... its priceless...

BBruin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Nice, and hey, if it was one of Moog's sticks, technically, you're telling the truth. DB is just the one who gave it to you.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. I'll never forget all the drunken oafs trying to get it from me throughout the game too. Sadly, being the knucklehead I was (and some will tell you still am), I did use the stick in a few street hockey games. Not much damage done though. No curve on it whatsoever either, which you don't find much anymore.
i usually say it exactly like that...

i couldn't use it in road hockey games though, b/c it was partially broken...prolly a good thing

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
CaptainChara

Send a message via AIM to CaptainChara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
About 100 kids put their arms up to catch the ball. The ball evaded all 100 hands,
200 hands....

I've never gotten anything at games. Sucks.

CaptainChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
TerrieRizer*

Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat8 View Post
200 hands....
You never know if they all had a degenerative growth disorder where they only grow one arm

The only pucks that I've ever gotten were in the same Lowell Lock Monsters game. I went with my friend and got 3 pucks that were sent out of play(during the game). I gave one to the little girl in front of us, gave one to my friend, and kept one for myself. My puck has long since been destroyed by my German Shephard who thought it'd be cool to jump on the couch and then onto the mantle to get a new round rubber playtoy.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:

I believe Crosby uses a perfectly straight stick.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:55 PM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Ogilthorpe View Post
I got one years back. My girlfriend was sitting in the aisle, and I was in the second seat. The puck cam over the glass, bounced off a couple people, and landed two steps behind my girlfriend. She looked at me and said " Hey, the puck" as matter of factly as you could get. I proceeded to push her out of the way and grab the puck just before anyone else located it. She was mad at me for pushing her out of my way but hockey is a physical sport...
Reminds me of that scene in FeverPitch, where the girl, forget her name, takes one off the noggin while she's on the computer. They guy doesn't even checks on her, just Hi Fives his buddy who got the foul ball.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
GetPucksDeep

My kid got a practice puck from Kovalchuk. He slips one through the glass at most home games.

I had a game puck bounce off the heel of my hand - my daughter was on my lap, so I couldn't two hand it - the guy next to me got it.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict View Post
I believe Crosby uses a perfectly straight stick.
Perhaps. I was referring more to goalie sticks, though maybe some use straight ones still too.