HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How was Janne?

Old
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Streit would have been much better than Niniimaa was yesterday, but we just can't expect miracles from a player who NEVER played with his partners... He didn't even have a training before yesterday. Well, maybe one, that's it.

Janne did 2 absolute brain dead moves and I felt uneasy ever time I saw him trying to get away with the puck in any possible way (either, pass or clearance). Didn't saw him to control it at all, and at some point, it could'nt have been worse. Plus, he seems to have nice wheels.
Streit would have been knocked off the puck more and thrown the puck away just as much imo. Aside from those two turnovers, Niinimaa was solid. It's only the third pairing and they are playing against the lower lines...we don't need much.

But what we really needed was a legit #2 Dman, and Gainey decided we needed another midget (Samsonov). Too bad.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
But what we really needed was a legit #2 Dman, and Gainey decided we needed another midget (Samsonov). Too bad.
Haven't you ever listened to TSN's hockey analysts? SPEED KILLS IN THE NEW MY NHL

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Why, do you want him back? I wasn't impressed, but that's because of the giveaways. Like others have said, Rivet and Souray weren't great either. So we'll give all 3 a chance to smarten up. I'm not too surprised, it's not the first time we complain about Rivet and Souray at the beginning of the season.

Umm, you spelled Dallas incorrectly!
Holly potatoes

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
What can we expect the guy passed his prime 5 years ago
2003-2004
GP 82
G 9
A 19
P 28
+/- +12

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:37 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm

Janne?

Nothing great, but nothing horrible either

Cut the man some slack.

Last night he put in 17+ minutes on 27 shifts. And he was an EVEN on +/-. One giveaway

Tonite: 21 minutes on 26 shifts. A +1 on +/-. 2 giveaways

43 + minutes played in two games. He is a +1. 3 giveaways

markov has 4 giveaways in two games ( I looked at the wrong column last time around) and is a -1

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 10-07-2006 at 09:58 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:48 PM
zx81

He's not bad. He's a good skater and is more intense that I thought.
Some bad giveaways but pretty much all our players were guilty of some tonight.

His shots were laughable though tonight.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Traitor8

I like what I see from him

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
marvelousmotion

I'm not liking what I see from him so far.. His play does not justify his salary at all, period. If he was truely a no.6 or 7 defenceman, with a salary of around 1M, I would not complain. But fact shows the otherwise..

I did not expect great things from him defensively, but at least thought he could bring something more than Streit on the PP, but so far, nope. His shots were terrible.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 01:42 AM
saskhab

Because Janne couldn't handle Samsonov's pass, Sammy took the hooking penalty in OT. It was really the only error for Janne on the night, but I'm just not confident seeing him with the puck. I do like that he was pinching on that play, but he absolutely has to handle that pass cleanly or one-time it.

I've made no secret of the fact that I think Streit could handle every day duties, but if one of our guys got injured we'd be putting too much pressure on the rest of the defenders as a whole. I also don't know if Janne's a good fit as a d partner for any of our blueliners, although the Janne-Rivet pairing might work better (was used on 2nd PP unit).

As far as finding a #2 d-man, we've found one. His name is Mike Komisarek. His learning curve has gone from very slow under Julien and Green to near warp speed under Gainey and Carbonneau.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Niinima played better today, last night i really start worrying about the sharp decline TSN said about him the last 3 seasons or so... he wasnt incredible, but i dont know its just that sometimes he seem to be doing some plays that dont make sense.. but yesterday he seemed faster and more focus, hopefully he is still unconfortable and we see him being a very reliable defenseman by the next few weeks.

keep it up Janne, your only 31!

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:07 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
i thought he had a much better second game... also like that he is playing with dandenault, i find they compliment each others styles.

go janne go

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:16 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Personally, I'm getting nervous everytime he touches the puck.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Darz

Well although 2 games is hard to do too much of an indepth evaluation, after his first two games I would say I'm not either impressed or disappointed by Niniimaa's game to date. IMO, he is that solid 'C' student. Nothing too impressive, but when working hard can still achieve his passing grade.

He looks far from the player that some people were saying was one of the worst dmen in the game, but I definately think if Niniimaa is one of your top 4 dmen on a game in game out basis, he would defiantely have to be considered a weaker link.

He seems to have some decent size, and works hard in the defensive zone (when in position he seems hard to get past), but I would say he has a low hockey IQ. He tends to on occasion make the wrong read, in the offensive zone he doesn't seem to make the best decisions, and looks like he panics a bit when forced to make quick decisions, but like I said, if he keeps his game simple and we are not forced to overplay him, I think he could be a valuable #6 dman for us this year.

10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Duster

He seems to be gradually fitting in every time he is out there. I think that he is being a little tentative since he doesn't know his new team well. As the last game went on, he started finding people on the ice and reading the play better. One play late in the game comes to mind, in particular, where he just simply broke up a potential Toronto scoring play with relative ease, took the puck and passed it accurately to his winger (not sure who...) at the red line resulting, subsequently,in a scoring chance. Very smoothly done and good enough for a No 6 defenseman. It's too early to say.

The shift or two I saw him play with Rivet gave me the impression that Dandenault is not his ideal partner.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 02:35 PM
MM425

He had a much better game against Toronto than Buffalo... I think the guy is still more than capable of playing in the NHL.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
keemo905

Did you notice how many times he had the puck without any pressure and ended up sending the puck on the glass/board??? That is not counting the many brain farts so far... Hopefully he picks it up because so far i am not impressed...

keemo905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Artyukhin*

he's been now worse than markov or anyone else on the blueline for that matter .

only 2 games talk to me after 20

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
he's been now worse than markov or anyone else on the blueline for that matter .

only 2 games talk to me after 20
IMO, Rivet, Markov, and Souray have all been on par, or worse than Dandenault. So far Komisarek is the only bright spot on that core.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Janne is very much like brisebois on the PP in the sense that he rarely uses his slapshot. He usually wrists it at the net. Its fine for deflections but he's gotta keep those shots low.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905 View Post
Did you notice how many times he had the puck without any pressure and ended up sending the puck on the glass/board??? That is not counting the many brain farts so far... Hopefully he picks it up because so far i am not impressed...
I have noticed this. I'm hoping that its just a communication issue because that can be solved with time. In that case, I can forgive him because he's barely played with the team

But when guys like souray are having communication issues, thats discouraging.

I'm not looking for anythiong special from janne. He'll likely be gone after this season. I just hope he quietly goes on doing his job because much like breezer, if we hear about him, it likely means that he's playing poorly.

Old
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
FisherKing

!!

Found Janne's play a bit "ragged" which I expected. He appeared to me just what he was...a guy who was playing his very first 2 games with a new team, new system and new team-mates. He in no way reminds me of Breezer, as some have suggested. He is much stronger, skates well and over-all I thought his play was pretty solid, and a sign of better things to come. I think he will ultimately add more to the Habs than Ribs did. As the more sensible posters on here point out though, it's only 2 games and it will take 15-20 games to get a real read on this guy, but I like what I saw, which is more than I can say for Samsonov who reminds me of Petrov - skates like the wind with the puck...until he loses it. Personally, Janne has impressed me much more than Sammy has so far. Hopefully, Sammy gets better, but when Sammy gets the puck, he looks to me like the proverbial "dog that chased the car and caught it"...NOW WHAT DO I DO???!!!

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Better With Age*

Janne was better than what Ribeiro brought to the team on Saturday night. If he plays at that level all year we won that trade, and I like Ribeiro.

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Mike8

Yeah, I really don't get the comparisons to Brisebois.

Brisebois had two major weaknesses:

1) penchant for errant passes up the middle of the ice
2) very, very thin.

Niinimaa's far thicker, and while he has some lousy giveaways, he's a pretty fierce competitor down low and along the boards. He's a big body. I like that.

He's also got better mobility than Brisebois. People often thought Brisebois was a good skater, and he was alright, but he lacked mobility. He could be beaten wide, and the worst of it all is that he didn't have the size or upper body strength to compensate for it. Niinimaa doesn't get beaten wide, and if he does, he has the strength to drive the guy away from the net.

Anyway, I like the guy so far. Only problem other than the giveaways that I have is that he falls too much. Komisarek falls sometimes too. It's not just normal falls, they fall awkwardly and look confused as to how to get up.

I suppose it's because a player like Koivu got pushed around all the way through the ranks so he's accustomed to bouncing right back up, but these bigger guys fall and it still catches them by surprise.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, I really don't get the comparisons to Brisebois.

Brisebois had two major weaknesses:

1) penchant for errant passes up the middle of the ice
2) very, very thin.

Niinimaa's far thicker, and while he has some lousy giveaways, he's a pretty fierce competitor down low and along the boards. He's a big body. I like that.

He's also got better mobility than Brisebois. People often thought Brisebois was a good skater, and he was alright, but he lacked mobility. He could be beaten wide, and the worst of it all is that he didn't have the size or upper body strength to compensate for it. Niinimaa doesn't get beaten wide, and if he does, he has the strength to drive the guy away from the net.

Anyway, I like the guy so far. Only problem other than the giveaways that I have is that he falls too much. Komisarek falls sometimes too. It's not just normal falls, they fall awkwardly and look confused as to how to get up.

I suppose it's because a player like Koivu got pushed around all the way through the ranks so he's accustomed to bouncing right back up, but these bigger guys fall and it still catches them by surprise.
I only compare him to brisebois in terms of his wrist shot and his occasional defensive zone turnover. I never mentioned any other comaprison with breezer

Old
10-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I only compare him to brisebois in terms of his wrist shot and his occasional defensive zone turnover. I never mentioned any other comaprison with breezer
You're also not the only person comparing him to Brisebois.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote