HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rathje out Indefinitely

Old
10-07-2006, 05:23 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
I guess it depends on if the glass is half empty or half full

The bad news is that he's injured.

If your an optimist, the good news he's not playing injured.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Steve L*

This is both bad news and good news.

Its bad that an effective player is injured and the fact that he has a probable long term injury that may effect his life outside hockey.

Good news is we wont have a badly affected player in the line up and have loads of salary space to acquire a D man and maybe even a goalie.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yes, it is good news for the Flyers defensive corps.

He is injured and clearly can't play at 100%. How would an injured Rathje EVER be more beneficial than a young, healthy player that can skate twice as fast as him?
a healthy Rathje is better than any of the options we have coming from the minors... more ice time for Gauthier, Baumgartner, etc.

this isn't good news... everyone is so enamoured with the idea of the grass being greener on the other side around here, that perspective has been completely lost.

a healthy Rathje was part of a very effective pairing with Pitkanen... we don't have that now... and won't for a while (even if it's a mystery why they weren't together anyway).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
No. As Jester stated, the issue with Mogliny was the 35+ clause. If Rathje's health deteriorates to the point where he is no longer a productive player, the Flyers could just send him to the minors (he'd have to clear waivers but that shouldn't be a problem) for the rest of his contract and there wouldn't be a problem.
Looks a lot better on Clarke if he can dump a guy for an injury reason rather than publicly admitting he signed a guy to a bad contract, don't you think.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
a healthy Rathje was part of a very effective pairing with Pitkanen... we don't have that now... and won't for a while (even if it's a mystery why they weren't together anyway).
I never felt this way. I've always felt he was a slow, non-physical, poke-checking defensemen that was lucky to ever knock the puck away from someone because most players in this league can skate right around him.

Because I never felt that way, it's not an issue of the grass being greener.

Rathje at 100% is still SLOW. I don't care how "positionally sound" he apparently is, because he gets made to look a fool a lot due to his foot speed. Position alone cannot stop a small and quick player from putting the puck through your skates and ducking around you. I'd rather have smooth skating players back there. As I said in another thread, guys like Picard have to learn some time. I'm willing to put up with growing pains as long as they can skate.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Looks a lot better on Clarke if he can dump a guy for an injury reason rather than publicly admitting he signed a guy to a bad contract, don't you think.
LTIR is not dumping a guy... you need to go read what happens with that rule.

Old
10-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
It isn't a bad contract, look at what other d-men has gotten since.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Rex88

Quote:
The answer to your question is yes.

Although I think BC said he made an error when signing the trees to long contracts thinking the NHL would revert back to the rule enforcement of old at the end of last year. I cannot find the quote but it was in a press mtg.

Against the Rags, I thought the D was better than the night before. They were quicker and covered the play better. Is this a lack of a hobbled Rat or otherwise? Joni got alot of time and looked solid, Hatcher was not scrambling, Meyer and Baum held their own, and Jones only made two gaffs that I recall.

Rat was pretty solid for about 6-7 weeks and that is about it - his body is a wreck and I don't see him regaining previous form in the next year or two.

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
If he wanted to just dump him, he could release him and there would be no hangup, other than all the money they'd owe him. The Devils couldn't just release Mogilny, becuase then they would not be able to replace his cap space, but by putting him on LTIR, they could. That's what all the complaining was about.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Beastieboy

Winnipeg Free Press today said with surgery he would be out about 4 weeks. Without surgery would likely be about 2 weeks. I say get the surgery and see if that helps. Now is the time to do it and it'll give a young d-man a chance to play and get some experience and that can only benefit them down the road in the event of more injuries which are no doubt inevitable. Rathje can't keep soldiering on for the next 80 games being crippled and unable to skate or shoot.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 06:43 AM
panayiotis

lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre_Daigle View Post
With a herniated disc in his back.
maybe clarke can use his doc and get fatche declared unfit.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Winnipeg Free Press today said with surgery he would be out about 4 weeks. Without surgery would likely be about 2 weeks. I say get the surgery and see if that helps. Now is the time to do it and it'll give a young d-man a chance to play and get some experience and that can only benefit them down the road in the event of more injuries which are no doubt inevitable. Rathje can't keep soldiering on for the next 80 games being crippled and unable to skate or shoot.
What will end up happening is Rathje will go with the rest route for 2 weeks and then have the surgery so he's out another 4 weeks for a total of six weeks. That's what always happens if you don't tell the players flat out they have to have surgery, they usually end up having the surgery anyway, only later and end up being out much longer.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:
I think if Clarke was trying to get out of a "bad contract" by having a fake injury to Rathje as you are implying, he would've had a more significant injury faked, such as a concussion.

Arastiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguay40 View Post
I think if Clarke was trying to get out of a "bad contract" by having a fake injury to Rathje as you are implying, he would've had a more significant injury faked, such as a concussion.
which ignores the fact that the Flyers could get out of this contract without having to fake anything. they would just waive Rathje and move on with their lives... it's really not a big deal.

Old
10-10-2006, 04:01 PM
FoppaArGud

Could this open the door for a goalie move?

I think it's reasonable to expect San Jose to want to move a goalie at some point and they'd probably prefer to move Nabby's huge contract. Rathje's exception could give us the room to pick up his contract in exchange for a pick (I doubt many other teams will be in a rush to pick up his money). I like our chances with him in net better than with Chico, that's for sure.

FoppaArGud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Kaktus*

Per TSN...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=180493&hubname=nhl

Notes: Flyers D Mike Rathje was tentatively diagnosed with piriformis syndrome on Wednesday, and not a herniated disk as originally thought, trainer Jim McCrossin said. Rathje, sidelined since playing in the opener, will be examined again in the next two days to confirm the diagnosis. McCrossin said Rathje will only need an injection and not surgery. ''In a best-case scenario, we are hoping Mike can be back on the ice late next week,'' McCrossin said. The Piriformis is one of the small muscles deep in the buttocks that rotates the leg outwards.

Last line really made me laugh. So wait... he is out because.....?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:27 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
So wait... he is out because.....?
He's got a pulled muscle in his arse......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Jester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

Quote:
Piriformis syndrome is a neuromuscular disorder that occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed or otherwise irritated by the piriformis muscle. This causes pain, tingling and numbness in the buttocks and along the course of the sciatic nerve. The syndrome may result from anatomical variations in the muscle-nerve relationship, or from overuse or strain.
Quote:
Treatment begins with stretching exercises and massage, and the avoidance of contributary activities such as running and bicycling. Some clinicians recommend formal physical therapy, including the teaching of stretching techniques, manual massage, and strengthening of the core muscles (abs, back, etc.) to reduce strain on the piriformis muscle. Anti-inflammatory drugs, Botox, and/or corticosteroid injections can be used. Occasionally surgery may be recommended. The prognosis with treatment is generally good.

Old
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Great, another player taking injections to play.

At least the apologists have an excuse for when he sucks it up.

Old
10-13-2006, 12:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Great, another player taking injections to play.

At least the apologists have an excuse for when he sucks it up.
Actually, it's one of the funnier injuries. He has a pulled muscle in his arse. What's not funny about that? And to think, someone is going to have to massage his backside every day as part of the treatment. Tell me that that doesn't make up for last years groinapalooza that this team went through. Tell me that McCrossin isn't getting what he deserves........

Old
10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Actually, it's one of the funnier injuries. He has a pulled muscle in his arse. What's not funny about that? And to think, someone is going to have to massage his backside every day as part of the treatment. Tell me that that doesn't make up for last years groinapalooza that this team went through. Tell me that McCrossin isn't getting what he deserves........
No doubt it's funny, but it's still going to result in his slow *** back in the lineup whether he's healthy or not. Nothing funny about that.

Well, I guess it's funny if you're the opposition and you know you can fly right around 1/6th of our defense while eating a cheesesteak in one hand.

Old
10-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
go read the wiki article... it's not a pulled muscle... the muscle is applying pressure/whatever to the sciatic nerve. 15% of the population are somewhat more likely to have this condition, so it's not all that common... thus why i've never heard of anyone having it before.

Old
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
mercury

I pulled a muscle in my *** before. One of the dumbest injuries I can remember anyone having. I will not disclose how it occurred. LOL

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I pulled a muscle in my *** before. One of the dumbest injuries I can remember anyone having. I will not disclose how it occurred. LOL
a pulled muscle is better than what he has... this thing isn't going away... the treatment is to stem the pain from happening, but the issue doesn't sound like it's permanently resolvable. therapy simply removes it from being a problem. hopefully.

Old
10-13-2006, 04:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
go read the wiki article... it's not a pulled muscle... the muscle is applying pressure/whatever to the sciatic nerve. 15% of the population are somewhat more likely to have this condition, so it's not all that common... thus why i've never heard of anyone having it before.
OK Mr. Wet Blanket, you've made your point. You've taken the fun out of this post. Let me ask you a question. Were you one of those kids that used to get picked on frequently in high school and get swirlies on regular occasions?