HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

All Star Rant (Nash plug)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 06:16 AM
Del Griffith

vCash: 500
All Star Rant (Nash plug)

I just wanted to throw it out there (again) that the all star ballot stuff is total crap. Last night at the Blue Jackets game the CBJ promotions concerning the all star ballots were something along the lines of "Check out our boys, fans! Yeeee HA! The nominees - CASSELS! SANDERSON! DENIS!"

These three guys are not all-stars. Not this year, anyway - Not even close. What a farce. Nash is our all star and the one we should be promoting. I know this topic has been killed in the past, but what needs to happen to get the best players (not simply the recognizable names) to the all-star game? Certainly this problem isn't confined to Columbus.

Finally, is Nash an all-star? I think there's no question that he is. Unfortunately, he's probably going to be watching that one on TV.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:19 AM
Douggy

He doesn't need to be on the ballot to be sent to the game. I doubt Nash would make it to the starting line-up even if he was on the ballot.

Ultimately, the coaches decide who goes, and Nash will end up going. (baring injury)

Old
11-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Hecht

rats...I was hoping this would be a topic dedicated to get Tyson Nash into the all-star game

Old
11-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griffith
I just wanted to throw it out there (again) that the all star ballot stuff is total crap. Last night at the Blue Jackets game the CBJ promotions concerning the all star ballots were something along the lines of "Check out our boys, fans! Yeeee HA! The nominees - CASSELS! SANDERSON! DENIS!"

These three guys are not all-stars. Not this year, anyway - Not even close. What a farce. Nash is our all star and the one we should be promoting. I know this topic has been killed in the past, but what needs to happen to get the best players (not simply the recognizable names) to the all-star game? Certainly this problem isn't confined to Columbus.

Finally, is Nash an all-star? I think there's no question that he is. Unfortunately, he's probably going to be watching that one on TV.
maybe you dont know this.......but the ballots are for the starters...not the whole team

and there would be no chance he gets voted in the starting lineup....not at this point of his career

Old
11-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Blatny Spears

Relax, BJ fans. There's always a one-year lag in a young player's development between when he breaks out and when his name gets on the All-Star ballot. It's not a big deal. The flip side is that in 2023 when he is washed up and a shell of his former self, his name will still be on the ballot while fans of the Roanoke Roadkill are complaining about how their young buck isn't on there.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Del Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
Relax, BJ fans. There's always a one-year lag in a young player's development between when he breaks out and when his name gets on the All-Star ballot.
You kind of proved my point. In the NFL, when a rookie tears it up - or a 2nd year player has a breakout year - he's on the ballot and in the game (it didn't take Randy Moss very long to get to Hawaii). The NHL system of "it takes time to get your name out there before people notice and give you recogntion" is bogus.

I understand that the ballots are just for the starters. It's the propaganda machine that follows the "ballot guys" that bugs me. Why would the CBJ brass promote CASSELS, SANDERSON, and DENIS when the deserving one is Nash? (They had some sort of contest during the Wings game that if the potential ALL STAR scores or whatever ... oooh boy (!) ... some chosen fan gets a prize). That's my point. It's a completely flawed system and I just wanted to b*tch about it.

By the way - I love Tyson Nash. Maybe not an all star, but he'd look great in our new 3rd jersey ...

Old
11-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Impossibles

I like what the NFL does for all-star (pro bowl) voting.

The vote is 33% from fan ballots, 33% from the coaches/managers, and 33% from the players. (you're not allowed to vote on somebody from your team)

This way, being selected is an honor, not a farce.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:37 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
after this season he'll be on there, for sure, but its too old, heatley and mcinnis are on there, i mean they wont be ready.

i hope satan and drury gets on there.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:41 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griffith
You kind of proved my point. In the NFL, when a rookie tears it up - or a 2nd year player has a breakout year - he's on the ballot and in the game (it didn't take Randy Moss very long to get to Hawaii). The NHL system of "it takes time to get your name out there before people notice and give you recogntion" is bogus.

The only reason for it being that way is because the NHL all-star game takes place in the middle of the season. The Pro-bowl takes place at the end of the season making it much easier to look back and decide who's had good seasons, and who deserves to go.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:43 AM
nathan

Nash will probably play in the YoungStars game, so that may be the reason.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Nash will probably play in the YoungStars game, so that may be the reason.
Nash dominated the young stars game last year. 1 goal 2 assists, I believe. He was in on every goal for the West. He should have had the MVP of it, but they gave to someone on the Easter Squad, since they won and had similar stats to Nash's

Old
11-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejh18
Nash dominated the young stars game last year. 1 goal 2 assists, I believe. He was in on every goal for the West. He should have had the MVP of it, but they gave to someone on the Easter Squad, since they won and had similar stats to Nash's
Sutherby, I think. Nash played with the Preds Adamn Hall and they looked great out there together.

Closed Thread