HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartford-Springfield

Old
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Hartford-Springfield

Hartford loses 3-2 tonight. Montoya in net. Degon and Jessiman get the goals.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Levitate

I posted a little bit in the Prospects thread. I knew someone at the game and she was giving me updates. When she gets home, I'll ask her for any more info she has

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
eco's bones

One encouraging thing Levitate is to see Hugh get a goal in the first game.

Old
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
One encouraging thing Levitate is to see Hugh get a goal in the first game.
By all accounts, he seems to have taken that step forward this year that we've been looking for and is living up to the ol' "power forwards take longer to develop" axiom. I still have really high hopes for this kid. Here's hoping he keeps it up.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I hope Jessiman has a monster year....

If Jessiman becomes any thing close to his potential a ton of people are going to be eating crow..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Levitate

him turning into a strong powerforward would be huge for the rangers future...

I'm thinking the future for the Rangers, barring a trade for a true superstar, is going to be a lineup a lot like Buffalos. Lots of good players, stars but not super stars. Jessiman could be one of those and it'd really help.

Old
10-07-2006, 10:40 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

If Jessiman becomes any thing close to his potential a ton of people are going to be eating crow..
Yes, but, I think quite a few of them will do it happily.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
is going to be a lineup a lot like Buffalos.
Imagine someone saying that with a Russian accent and maybe you'll have a chuckle like I just did.

strong like bull

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

I'd be one of them, and I'd definitely love to do it. Although I'm not sure I ever stated it here, I did say a couple of times on the MSG boards that I don't believe Jessiman would ever fulfill his potential.

I'm still rooting for him to do it though. After all, at the end of the day I don't care which players make it and stay, I just want them to be of good skills, good character, and with a passion for the success of the Rangers.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I watched the game last night, and here are a few notes.

The top line was Dubinsky centering Jessiman and Callahan.

Springfield dominated the first half of the game, and went up 3-0, but after the Wolf Pack scored late in the second, Hartford took over the game.

Montoya was very shaky early in the game, and luckily had fewer and fewer shots to handle as the game went along. The only good thing to say about him in this game was that he launched a very good two-line pass to Degon up on the left side to set up the Wolf Pack's first goal.

Although they got no mention in the star category, Jessiman, Girardi, and Dubinsky were the best Wolf Pack payers on the ice. Early in the game, when almost all the play was in Hartford's zone, only Dubinsky could get control of the puck and get it out. His stickhandling and general poise are way above the rest of his teammates.

Girardi played an excellent game. He was the quarterback on the power play, and played well on the PK too. Girardi made one bad play all game that led to a Falcon scoring chance, but otherwise, he was solid.

Jessiman started slow in this game, and frankly I thought that I might have to eat my recent words about him. But he really got going in the second period, making excellent touch passes on the power play. Then in the third period, he became a force on the ice too. The Wolf Pack second goal (which he scored) started with a huge forecheck Jessiman put on one of the Sprngfield players (I could not see who it was). Then the puck came out into the slot and so did Jessiman. He took a pass from Immonen (who played okay last night but nothing special) off to Sean Burke's left, and buried the goal into the Falcons' net. I must say, it was the Hartford highlight of the night, and I am sure one of the highlights thus far of Jessiman's career. Its my guess (after speaking to him at length at the Rangers' training camp) that his fist pump after the goal was as much about letting go of the demons of a horrible season last year, as it was about his perfect execution on the play.

Other players of note, Petruzalek, Korpikoski, and Degon. Degon had an up and down game. At times, he really played well (and he did get the first Wolf Pack goal on a fiine shot), but defensively he needs a lot more consistency. Petruzalek was on the ice with Korpikoski and boy can the two of them fly. We shall see if the coaching staff can find a third that can help defensively on the line, as several times Wolf Pack fans had to hold their breath when one or the other (usually Korpikoski) lost the puck to Springfield.

BTW, Helminen, who was centering the "goon line", had an okay night too, but not the kind of night that says to the coaching staff, "I really should be in Philadelphia with the big boys tonight."

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 06:35 AM
eco's bones

Speaking of finding a defensive anchor for Korpikoski and Petruzalek Leslie--how about Helminen? Anyway very encouraging on Dubinsky and Jessiman. I don't know if I looked at Hugh's season last year as horrible but it was somewhat disappointing. I factored in the weak college league he played in and also having missed almost the whole season there previous to turning pro. To me he'd never really played anywhere near the level of competition that most players entering the AHL have. Anyway how did Baranka do?

Old
10-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Levitate

I think the guys at Blueshirt Bulletin mentioned something like about Jessiman, eco.

up until now, he's never really been challenged by the level of play because he's never put himself in the position to be challenged.

Now he's playing pro and is being forced to up his game, so there's some level of adjustment that's bigger for him.

Hopefully he keeps it up

Old
10-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Jessiman is the one who actually called his own season last year horrible (I have it on tape). There were lots of reasons for this, level of play, a year basically off the ice, as well as adjustment to what was being asked for him. I agree that Helminen shoud be tried between Petruzalek and Korpikoski; we shall see if the coaching staff wants to try it.

Baranka had a good game; up and down in spots, but he really is moving along in his development.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:01 AM
eco's bones

Leslie--it's probably a good thing that Hugh is willing to analyze himself critically. It at least shows he cares and he's willing to work harder. In some respect I think how well Hartford does this season is going to depend a lot on Montoya. I'm not putting down the team as a whole but I think that despite there being a number of very good and a few excellent prospects--there is not a lot of veteran leadership and I'm not so sure that we're going to have one of the better AHL teams. If we do Montoya will have to have a huge season.

Old
10-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Levitate

I think the Pack will start out slow as a lot of the new guys get used to the AHL, but they have the potential to turn it on in the second half of the season

Old
10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
JerseyRangers

I think the Packs biggest problem will be in the defensive zone. Haven't seen most of the d-men play that are in Hartford but from what I've read its not exactly a jaw dropping group. Offensively I think the Pack is going to put up some big numbers -- too much talent and size not to.

Also, glad to hear that Jessiman is coming into his own. I wrote last year that we need to be really patient with him and used the Knuble comparison. It took Knuble a long time to figure out how to use his size to become effective in the NHL (playing with Thornton never hurt). He went from a 3rd line grinder in Detroit and NY to a first line player in Boston and Philly. A player Jessimans size that can skate will always have a place in the NHL. If Huge plays well in Hartford this season I'd love for him to get a chance to play with Jagr and Nylander. I think he'd create loads of room on the ice for those two.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:56 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Speaking of finding a defensive anchor for Korpikoski and Petruzalek Leslie--how about Helminen?
I was thinking the same thing. He both adds a defensive presance to the line and, like the other two, can also fly. It's intruiging at the very least.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:49 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I think the Packs biggest problem will be in the defensive zone. Haven't seen most of the d-men play that are in Hartford but from what I've read its not exactly a jaw dropping group. Offensively I think the Pack is going to put up some big numbers -- too much talent and size not to.

Also, glad to hear that Jessiman is coming into his own. I wrote last year that we need to be really patient with him and used the Knuble comparison. It took Knuble a long time to figure out how to use his size to become effective in the NHL (playing with Thornton never hurt). He went from a 3rd line grinder in Detroit and NY to a first line player in Boston and Philly. A player Jessimans size that can skate will always have a place in the NHL. If Huge plays well in Hartford this season I'd love for him to get a chance to play with Jagr and Nylander. I think he'd create loads of room on the ice for those two.
That is key. Jessiman has the tools to be a great player it's just a matter of him learning how to use them and maybe a little dose of confidence. I never got how people could write him off after one year pro. We knew he was a project.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yes, but, I think quite a few of them will do it happily.
I think that gets lost sometimes on these boards. People love to flaunt the "I told you so" arguments the second that discusses players/prospects show something. It's like there is a belief that the cynics do not want to see people like Jessiman and Hossa succeed. I would LOVE to eat crow on players that I have been wrong about. Actually, nothing would make me happier as it would mean that the Rangers are a better team.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Imagine someone saying that with a Russian accent and maybe you'll have a chuckle like I just did.

strong like bull

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I think that gets lost sometimes on these boards. People love to flaunt the "I told you so" arguments the second that discusses players/prospects show something. It's like there is a belief that the cynics do not want to see people like Jessiman and Hossa succeed. I would LOVE to eat crow on players that I have been wrong about. Actually, nothing would make me happier as it would mean that the Rangers are a better team.
Yup, I was willing to give Rozsival a pass after game 1, with how solid he looked. The only player in recent memory whose exhausted all of my patience is Poti...and look what he's doing for the IceHoles so far!!!

jas is offline   Reply With Quote