HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going to the game Sat - Few Questions

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
ThorntoNeely198

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Going to the game Sat - Few Questions

Hi there,

My wife and I are going to be in town for the weekend, and we noticed that the Flyers have the Bruins in town on Saturday night. I've never been to a game in Philadelphia, so I had a few questions I was hoping you guys might be able to answer.

Is there public transportation to/from the stadium? If not, are there usually taxis nearby?

What's a good area/hotel for a tourist to stay in Philly?

Are there usually people selling extra tickets around the stadium, or should I expect ripoff artist scalpers? If so, have you been selling out the early games?

Thanks in advance...

TN198

Old
11-20-2003, 06:51 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198

Is there public transportation to/from the stadium? If not, are there usually taxis nearby?

What's a good area/hotel for a tourist to stay in Philly?

Are there usually people selling extra tickets around the stadium, or should I expect ripoff artist scalpers? If so, have you been selling out the early games?

Thanks in advance...

TN198

Yes, the subway drop you off right at the corner, and you can walk from there in 5 minutes.

Depends on how much money you want to spend. If you're looking to stay in center city there is a Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Wyndam, Omni, The Rittenhouse. They are your highend hotels in center city.

Yes, usually people selling tickets around the stadium, usually also about 500 tickets available at the boxoffice. Being a Saturday night you may want to call ahead to make sure you can still get tickets.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Don't buy off scalpers, it's not worth it, and you won't know for sure if they're even real.

There's also a Holiday Inn that's about a 15 minute walk from the Center. Right across from the Vet.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Flyers26

Check out this site: www.gophila.com
They have deals on hotel rooms.
I suggest you call ticketmaster, or go online, and check for tickets. There are usually some available. Any seat is a good one at the big bank bldg.
We always seem to get a bunch of B's fans at the game.
I'm going w/ my brother & sisiter in law, from Boston. We are in Sec. 109, row 20.
If you have any questions, or need help, feel free to PM me, and I can give you some Philly tour advice.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Quellet The Dogs Out

I'd be happy to help as well, but the guys mostly answered any questions you had. If you need anything else, feel free to PM me.

Enjoy yourself, i'm sure you'll have a great time.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:23 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Thanks a ton for the info guys, big time help.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the info guys, big time help.
So did you get to the game?

Old
11-24-2003, 09:58 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
So did you get to the game?
Yes, we did get to the game. First of all, we absolutely loved your city. It ranks up there among the friendliest places we've been, and we travel quite a bit.

As far as the game went...

The facility is much nicer than the Fleet. We loved all of the interactive fan areas and nods to Flyer history around the entire building. In Boston, everything good is on the luxury box level (where the Sports Museum lives), inaccessible to anyone without a luxury box or club seat ticket.

Another stark contrast that pops right out is that the Flyers treat their fans much, much better than the Bruins do. I got the general impression that the fans cared about the team, and that the team made a genuine effort to give it back. Everything you bought at the arena had some value-add attached to it for something that would appeal to a hockey fan. Discounts, coupons, freebies, etc. Little stuff, but nice. You guys may take that for granted, but you have to compare it with Boston. I've had two season tickets since 1995 (we spend about $7500 per year on the Bruins), and only once in 8+ years have I *won* something. It was a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee, and someone in my row had to correctly answer a trivia question for us to win.

A direct result of the Flyers treating their fans well that we noticed, and of the fans actually caring, is that the Flyers are able to get incredible overachieving from a bunch of mid-level players. With that kind of energy, who wouldn't be able to play at the top of their game? Seriously, Simon Gagne is the only player on the Flyers that might crack a playoff-calibur team's first line in any other city. Philly fans even get Keith Primeau (tell me you saw him on Carolina) busting his butt. It was great to see. I can only imagine what some of the Bruins would play like if they were able to feed off that kind of energy. I'm very jealous. I'm guessing the Flyers' fans are good for SEVERAL points a year to their team. We get a lively crowd maybe half a dozen times a season.

We took a hard time because of our Bruins jerseys, but the bulk of the unacceptable stuff came from a few very drunk, very vocal fans. In a stadium full of 17,000+, I think you'd find that anywhere. Most fans were knowledgable and came to the arena to have a good time. In Boston, since we got our new building (and the insane parking prices, ticket prices, concessions, etc.) we tend to have a much more "gentile" crowd of business-types who won't even stand when the Bruins score. My wife and I were both overwhelmed at the number of Flyers jerseys in the crowd. You don't see that in Boston.

We had a great weekend, and a great time at the game. Thanks to you guys for your advice! It came in very handy.

Old
11-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
My wife and I were both overwhelmed at the number of Flyers jerseys in the crowd. You don't see that in Boston.
Actually, the times I've gone to Flyers-Bruins games at the Fleet, you certainly get lots of Flyers' jerseys there. Mine and my fiancee's included.

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing...I'll have to disagree with your assesment of the Flyers' talent level. I certainly think Mark Recchi or Jeremy Roenick could be playing on other teams' first lines, especially with the tear they're on this season. But then again, I'm a pretty diehard fan of this team, so take that as you will.

Old
11-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Gags1288

It's funny because until this year I'd say that the Flyers have had little home ice advantage, if any. Also, this year happens to be one of the worst attendence years thus far since the new building, if not the worst. I also disagree with the assessment about the Flyers talent level. I'd say the Flyers are as talented at forward as any team in the league and Recchi, Roenick, or Amonte (plus Gags) would play on nearly every playoff teams 1st line, including Boston's. I can name a ton of teams that don't have 3 better forwards then them: Jersey, Ottawa (JR would play 1st line center), Detroit, Tampa, Vancouver (again, center), pretty much every team outside of Colorada and Dallas probably.

Old
11-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
The Flyers are playing well at home for 3 reasons:

(1) They play exciting hockey which gets the fans involved

(2) They have a powerplay for the first time in 5 or 6 years

(3) The availability of tickets allows the real fan to get back into the building

Old
11-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne2433
The Flyers are playing well at home for 3 reasons:

(1) They play exciting hockey which gets the fans involved

(2) They have a powerplay for the first time in 5 or 6 years

(3) The availability of tickets allows the real fan to get back into the building
I disagree with comments 1 and 3, but i'll start with 3. Many of the "real fans" have had season tickets forever and haven't been kept out of the stadium. Also, those real fans kept out has more been a product of high ticket prices then ticket availability, tickets have always been possible to get. Also, I've been to quite a few games this year and I don't think the atmosphere has improved at all. If anything, It's not as good as it has been in the past years.

Closed Thread