HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why is there so many Left Handers

Old
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

vCash: 500
Why is there so many Left Handers

I read that 10 percent of people are left-handed.

Whenever i watch or play people are usually Left Handed.

Anyone notice this

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Brodeur

That's just how it goes with how you're "supposed" to hold a hockey stick. A good chuck of the players who shoot RH, write left handed.

The working theory is that you have your power hand on top of the stick to generate harder shots/passes. When you're poke checking, you typically only have one hand on the stick, so if you're right handed.....that means your right hand is on top which means you shoot "left".

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

i'm left handed and shoot right. one handed things (tennis/throwing etc.) i tend to do left. and two handed things (hockey/sweeping) i tend to do right. Also oddly enough my right arm is stornger than my left.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM

I'm right handed in everything I do. Hockey I shoot right, tennis, writting, baseball, golf, soccer (feet), everything..

Only thing I do with my left hand is catching (baseball, hockey goalie). Than again, I remember when I was young and playing some kind of mini-hockey with no equipement with some friends and when I was the goaltender, I was catching with my right hand. When one of my friend bought a real street goalie equipment it was left glove though and I got use to it, since I was young and all..

So I'm not sure what would have happened if that goalie equipment would have had a righty glove.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Skyblaze

While I really like Brodeur's explanation, I think that most people just go with what they're most comfy with despite all logic. For example :

Me : Right-handed writing, hockey lefty, golf righty, throw righty, bat both sides, and I've played both sides as a goalie as well with no noticeable difference.

A friend : Right-handed writing, hockey righty, golf lefty, throw righty, bat lefty.

I have this other friend who's left-handed and plays every sport as upper-body lefty BUT lower-body righty. It hurts just to watch him do any sport.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I'm a righty, shoot righty, but when I hold a pool cue, I hold it lefty

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:14 PM
santiclaws

Brodeur has it right. If you're right handed, you are generally going to shoot left and vice versa for the simple reason that you will use your dominant hand to reach for an object with a stick. I once played on a team where we did not have a single right-hand shot (23 players). Actually, you would expect all righties in the NHL to shoot left and have 90% lefty shooters as a result, but for some reason that is not the case.

How you hold your hockey stick also depends to some extent on what sport you started playing in which you held any kind of a stick. Since I started with hockey and shoot left, I bat lefty and I hold a golf club lefty despite the fact that I'm exclusively right-handed in everything else.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Orthodox Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by #21 View Post
i'm left handed and shoot right. one handed things (tennis/throwing etc.) i tend to do left. and two handed things (hockey/sweeping) i tend to do right. Also oddly enough my right arm is stornger than my left.
Same here, except my left arm is stronger than my right.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Depends on what you start out with in terms of sports I guess. I started out with lacrosse, so I was already used to using my dominant hand as the top hand (righty in my case), so when I started playing hockey, I was a righty shot. I'm right handed and right footed, but I also surf/skate 'goofy foot' (right foot forward) which is also counter to what is usual for right footed people.

Honestly, it's whatever you're most comfortable with.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
UserName

throw, catch, kick shoot golf everything for me is right handed. i snowboard gooft as well weird

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
ModSquad

Dominant hand guides the stick while stickhandling/pokechecking. When you shoot, there is a push/pull action...you push with your lower hand and pull with your upper hand. The dominant hand should be on the top of the stick.

In the US you see most players as RH, because they are told that since they are RH in life, they should shoot RH.

The ratio between LH:RH shooters in the NHL is about 70:30 LH to RH.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
speedway

I believe that you are hard-wired, not taught to shoot either right or left.We all have a dominant eye as well.I think that most right handed people shoot left naturally.I am right handed and play all sports "right".

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
I do everything Left handed. EVERYTHING. Even when I put a checkmark on a piece of paper, it's backwards because I'm left handed.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Drewr15

I'm right handed but I play hockey lefthanded. I think its because I started out as goalie and then went to defenseman so with poke checking and having one hand on the stick alot my right hand was the natural fit. I find the forwards I play with that are right handed shots its because they use the lower hand for stick handling alot more than a Dman who has one hand on the stick.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSquad View Post
In the US you see most players as RH, because they are told that since they are RH in life, they should shoot RH.
Really interesting that you said that. I'm mostly self-taught when it comes to hockey and the first stick I bought for myself is a righty. It just didn't feel right and I had very little control over the puck so I tried switching hands and it worked much better. The thing is, I immediately thought that I was a closet leftie and my life as a rightie had been a lie. I know it sounds bizarre but in some circles being left handed is akin to being handicapped. You need special scissors, etc. No offense intended -- as a child I favored my left until my parents trained me to favor my right. I can see where some players might go the extra mile to convert to playing as a right handed shot.

BTW, I still write, throw and do most things right handed.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 11:15 AM
dagr81

It's weird, I shoot right handed in hockey and I shoot right handed in golf, but I do everyting else left handed and I putt left handed....weird I know

dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Gino 14

We have horses and since I started playing hockey long after I learned how to shovel crap, I do it the same way. I shoot left-handed.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
Depends on what you start out with in terms of sports I guess. I started out with lacrosse, so I was already used to using my dominant hand as the top hand (righty in my case), so when I started playing hockey, I was a righty shot. I'm right handed and right footed, but I also surf/skate 'goofy foot' (right foot forward) which is also counter to what is usual for right footed people.

Honestly, it's whatever you're most comfortable with.
That's how I started. I began playing baseball when I was 3 and I batted righty so when I picked up hockey at 11 my hands felt natural with my right hand on top.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Hyack57

I write: Right
Shoot: Left
Bat: Right
Throw: Left
Scissors: Right
Kick: Right

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Jacob

I do everything left-handed. I even think my left leg is stronger than my right.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 02:13 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I shoot lefty, throw righty, hit lefty, play tennis righty, write righty...idk, just felt comfortable that way.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 02:33 AM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
I'm pretty sure I could be RH if I chose to at the very beginning when I was introduced to hockey.

When I was a noob I did both hands but it didn't matter because I had hands of stone, just decided to use LH because it seemed cool.

Last edited by nikebauer: 10-14-2006 at 02:47 AM.
nikebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 02:43 AM
Transported Upstater

I tried playing hockey right-handed a few times...my shot was actually better, but I absolutely was lost with the puck. I couldn't handle, pass, control...anything.

And my left hand is basically useless for everything else.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 03:42 AM
Happy Pony

Lefty all the way in hockey. Everything else righty. The guy who introduced me to the game played lefty so that's the sticks I began with and it just works.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
That's just how it goes with how you're "supposed" to hold a hockey stick. A good chuck of the players who shoot RH, write left handed.

The working theory is that you have your power hand on top of the stick to generate harder shots/passes. When you're poke checking, you typically only have one hand on the stick, so if you're right handed.....that means your right hand is on top which means you shoot "left".
Why do all field hockey players shoot right handed then? I'm not sure about this.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote