HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

fastest and most electrifying player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
  #51
slade
Registered User
 
slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 18 Winspear Ltd.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
bure in game was an absolute beast.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
  #52
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
You can be fast and not electrifying, and by electrifying without being fast.

I'll use my definition of, "fear factor". If a guy can have he puck at his own blue line and begin to scare you or make you nervous, he qualifies:

In no particular order:

D. Savard
P. Coffey
P. Bure
I. Kovalchuk
J. Jagr
M. Lemieux
W. Gretzky
S. Crosby
B. Leetch (best stickhander of any defenseman I've seen, and he just killed the Flyers)

Lindros was electifying, but in a different way. Probably the most electrifying without the puck I've ever seen. Lindros on the forecheck chasing down a defenseman, ready to lay a devastating hit, was as scary as it got for defenseman.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
  #53
bigsick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: yk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Bure.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
  #54
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,183
vCash: 500
Kharlamov should be right up there, though my viewing experience to date is limited to the Summit Series.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
  #55
toastman344*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Robbie Ftorek was an excellent skater...although electrifying he wasn't...that'd be Orr

Kharlamov yeah...that's another great choice...fast and electrifying...D. Savard and Paul Coffey are good choices as well...

Nobody mentioned Gilbert Perreault ...I always loved that guy...He was a fine skater, smooth as silk and absolutely electrifying ...

None were in Orr's class though...


Last edited by toastman344*: 03-28-2007 at 08:23 AM.
toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
  #56
J0e Th0rnton*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Bobby Orr easily. Bure was good, but he pales in comparison to Orr.

Orr was so fast that he could lead the charge up ice, but still be the first one back behind his own blueline if it didn't go in the opposing net.

He also had unbelievable puck control at top speed.

Valery Kharlamov is another who is pretty much up ahead of Bure.

J0e Th0rnton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
  #57
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
Bobby Orr easily. Bure was good, but he pales in comparison to Orr.

Orr was so fast that he could lead the charge up ice, but still be the first one back behind his own blueline if it didn't go in the opposing net.

He also had unbelievable puck control at top speed.

Valery Kharlamov is another who is pretty much up ahead of Bure.
Its Orr & close behind is Bobby Hull. Both could go end to end. Hull was faster on the straightway & had the better shot. Orr had more high speed moves & could pick up speed quicker. Bure is quite a bit below these two.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
  #58
Crazyhorse
Registered User
 
Crazyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Bure. He made highlight reels on a nightly basis.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
  #59
slade
Registered User
 
slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 18 Winspear Ltd.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
why are people bringing up skills competitions? brashear skated the rink in 15 seconds, who cares? skating fast in a timed situation is completely different.

wes walz consistently killed gaborik in his timed lap....who would be considered the faster skater?

bure was and still is the fastest player ive ever seen puck or no puck.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
  #60
alrusso
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
I guess you didn't see any Bobby Orr highlights.

alrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
  #61
J0e Th0rnton*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrusso View Post
I guess you didn't see any Bobby Orr highlights.
Exactly. Anyone who thinks Bure was the best needs to get some Orr footage.

Heck. Bobby hull is on record for asking a ref to drop a second puck so he could play a bit after his first game against Orr.

Orr used to kill penalties just by sheer puck possession and speed. He would skate behind his own net, fly out when someone came to get him, and fly back after deking by 2 other guys so fast they almost fell over.

Orr flying into the offensive zone was a thing of Beauty. The guy had Vision like Gretzky, but wheels beyond anything I have seen since and the stickhandling of Lemieux at top speed.

J0e Th0rnton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
  #62
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Orr was my hero as a boy, and is still my #1 best player ever, but Bure was faster. Orr had more of a sense of controling the game, but in a race for the net, Bure would beat him by 2 strides from the red line in. I hate to say that, but after watching hockey for 37 years, it is a fact.

Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest skaters I've ever seen, fast as Cournoyer but had trouble carrying the puck at that speed. Marien Gaborik is a rocket when he accelerates, and the puck doesn't slow him down a bit.

Bobby Hull was probably the fastest of all-time, though. He was timed in the late 60's as skating at 29 MPH, which is unbelievable! Think about it, right now the fastest skaters are timed at around 23 MPH. Even if the equipment was a bit off, Hull was still going faster thatn anyone today can match. And he could shoot the puck harder than anyone in history, too! Scary!

Today's electrifying players for me include:

Afinigin-whatever from Buffalo...man, he's got moves and speed!
Gaborik
Ovechkin
Datsyuk...again, what moves!
...many others from night to night, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
  #63
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael3d View Post
fastest Player
Fedorov or Bure

most electrifying player
Bure and now Ovechkin


still cant forget the 5 goals Bure scored in Olympic games in one game against finland
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jL_p_kMMc5E
Bure and Bure.

I still have the highlights of his first two NHL games. It was amazing!

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  #64
J0e Th0rnton*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
Orr was my hero as a boy, and is still my #1 best player ever, but Bure was faster. Orr had more of a sense of controling the game, but in a race for the net, Bure would beat him by 2 strides from the red line in. I hate to say that, but after watching hockey for 37 years, it is a fact.

Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest skaters I've ever seen, fast as Cournoyer but had trouble carrying the puck at that speed. Marien Gaborik is a rocket when he accelerates, and the puck doesn't slow him down a bit.

Bobby Hull was probably the fastest of all-time, though. He was timed in the late 60's as skating at 29 MPH, which is unbelievable! Think about it, right now the fastest skaters are timed at around 23 MPH. Even if the equipment was a bit off, Hull was still going faster thatn anyone today can match. And he could shoot the puck harder than anyone in history, too! Scary!

Today's electrifying players for me include:

Afinigin-whatever from Buffalo...man, he's got moves and speed!
Gaborik
Ovechkin
Datsyuk...again, what moves!
...many others from night to night, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.
Having seen all 3, I still say Orr was faster than any of them.

Bure was flashier, Hull good, but not Orr.

Orr was faster than Bure from all I remember.

J0e Th0rnton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
  #65
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
Having seen all 3, I still say Orr was faster than any of them.

Bure was flashier, Hull good, but not Orr.

Orr was faster than Bure from all I remember.
Having also seen all three in their prime, Orr was the best skater but Hull was the fastest.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
  #66
Bure1096
Registered User
 
Bure1096's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Bure with out question. First saw him play back in either 93-94 when i was 8 and for some reason whenever he had the puck something would happen. Since seeing him play everytime he had the puck i got goosebumps. Everytime in the offensive zone just holding, Holding, HOLDING. Then he takes a blistering shot either putting it past the tender or creating a chance for someone else. The most fluid skater the game has seen.

Bure1096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
  #67
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 500
I think we've seen faster skaters than Bure in terms of pure speed, and better skaters in terms of combining speed, agility, balance, strength on skates, etc. But I would say that Bure was the fastest with the puck. Now, there might be various reasons for that (his work ethic when the puck wasn't on his stick), but the puck didn't slow him down one bit. Very, very few players can say that.

BTW, I very rarely saw Bure create a chance for someone else. He was a puck hog who showed little interest in making his teammates better players, except for Gino Odjick.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
  #68
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
Having seen all 3, I still say Orr was faster than any of them.

Bure was flashier, Hull good, but not Orr.

Orr was faster than Bure from all I remember.
I'm certain both Orr and Hull had better top speed than Bure, but Bure was the one with better acceleration.

Bure was a fast skater but what made him special was that he could hit top speed in just a few strides. There were many players faster than Pavel, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anybody in the history of the game with Bure's acceleration (with the puck of course).

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
  #69
Bure1096
Registered User
 
Bure1096's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I think we've seen faster skaters than Bure in terms of pure speed, and better skaters in terms of combining speed, agility, balance, strength on skates, etc. But I would say that Bure was the fastest with the puck. Now, there might be various reasons for that (his work ethic when the puck wasn't on his stick), but the puck didn't slow him down one bit. Very, very few players can say that.

BTW, I very rarely saw Bure create a chance for someone else. He was a puck hog who showed little interest in making his teammates better players, except for Gino Odjick.
what i meant by creating chances for teamtes was after he took a shot... a rebound would come popping out waiting to be banged home. i know he was a hog with the puck but you couldn't blame him.

Bure1096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
  #70
J0e Th0rnton*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I'm certain both Orr and Hull had better top speed than Bure, but Bure was the one with better acceleration.

Bure was a fast skater but what made him special was that he could hit top speed in just a few strides. There were many players faster than Pavel, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anybody in the history of the game with Bure's acceleration (with the puck of course).
Maybe acceleration. But its really not what this discussion is about. Im not sold on him accelerating faster having seen both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9...elated&search=

Don't get me wrong. I thought Bure was among the most exciting since Orr, but he wasn;t Orr. Orr was more electrifying. Orr combined
Mario Lemieux stickhandling and hands with Wayne Gretzky vision and Bure's speed, also god given defensive talent and ridiculous puck possession skills.

He was the best most complete player I have ever seen play. Lemieux and Gretzky included.

J0e Th0rnton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
  #71
XploD
Registered User
 
XploD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
Maybe acceleration. But its really not what this discussion is about. Im not sold on him accelerating faster having seen both.
My take on fastest is mostly acceleration. Top speed isn't as vital as acceleration in game, you don't really hit top speed that often. I've seen some Orr highlights and some old game tapes and while he was the most dominant player to ever play the game I don't see him having better acceleration than Bure. Quite frankly I don't think it's even possible, might have been the perfect first three strides.

I guess it's kinda hard comparing players from different eras here though, given the changes in equipment.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
  #72
IlyaAlexanderMalkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coeur d'Alene
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
I think that Gaborik's acceleration has to be up there with the likes of Bure. But Pavel is the most explosive skater and player I have ever witnessed live.

I wish I could have seen Hull and Orr live, but I will just have to live with old video.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:50 PM
  #73
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Neither can Janne Niinimaa and Jarmo Myllys.
I am pretty convinced the heads of Finnish Hockey started to seriously develop goaltenders after seeing that game.

Myllys would have been approximatively the 15th choice for Finland in Torino.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:55 AM
  #74
slade
Registered User
 
slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 18 Winspear Ltd.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
My take on fastest is mostly acceleration. Top speed isn't as vital as acceleration in game, you don't really hit top speed that often. I've seen some Orr highlights and some old game tapes and while he was the most dominant player to ever play the game I don't see him having better acceleration than Bure. Quite frankly I don't think it's even possible, might have been the perfect first three strides.

I guess it's kinda hard comparing players from different eras here though, given the changes in equipment.
wait- we actually agree on something?

in all seriousness- i really dont see how orr was faster then bure. theres definitely nostalgia fogging up peoples glasses around these parts.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:00 AM
  #75
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
wait- we actually agree on something?

in all seriousness- i really dont see how orr was faster then bure. theres definitely nostalgia fogging up peoples glasses around these parts.
Its not necessarily nostalgia. It is very possible that Orr & Hull were faster than Bure. The documented fact is that Hull was measured at 29mph.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.