HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tips for first timer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2006, 03:22 PM
  #1
Sicilian
Registered User
 
Sicilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Tips for first timer

Hey guys!

I'm planning my first trip to a Rangers game at MSG in January! Any tips for what sections I should be looking for, or anything like that? Any sections I should try to stay away from?

They have a pretty good record when I get to see them in Boston, hopefully I can bring that luck with me.

Thanks!

Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
  #2
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
is money no object? how many tickets will you need? who are the Rangers playing?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
  #3
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,444
vCash: 500
This seating chart...

should help a bit: http://www.thegarden.com/msg_seating.html

As for as spots to stay away from...generally the Garden's good for viewing in most spaces. I stated in another thread that in the 300s I don't like to sit in the first several rows (call it 5 or 6) because of the occasional traffic in front. I believe the 100s have a similar scenario, but the 200s do not. If my memory's correct, the right side is where the Rangers start and finish the game, so in those seats you'd be watching Lundqvist a lot. If you want to see the Rangers on the attach, choose the left side. [Rangers' bench is on the right side of the map]

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:15 PM
  #4
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
as much as people bash the 300s for occasional obstructions, after the first 3 rows in the 400s, sections w/ the overhang can obstruct quite a bit...but compared to many arenas, the sightlines in MSG are quite good.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:48 PM
  #5
Sicilian
Registered User
 
Sicilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
is money no object? how many tickets will you need? who are the Rangers playing?
Money is a partial object because I'm always paying for two nights in a hotel in NY, but I'm looking around $100 a piece max if I can help it. I'll need two tickets, and they're playing the Bruins. I wanted to catch a game where they were playing somebody else (as I've seen the bruins play them quite a bit in beantown) but this was the only time I could get some significant time off of work around a weekend.

From the chart posted I think I might shoot for something between 313 and 331. If you're right and they shoot on the left side two out of three, I'd rather see more ranger offense, just in case I happen to catch a game where weekes makes the start.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been a Ranger fan for about 14 years now (I know, I know, short compared to some of you) and I felt like it was finally time to make the pilgrimage. I'm looking forward to it!

Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
  #6
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,444
vCash: 500
I think I'm right...

I sat in 343 for years and saw the Rangers get shot on twice a game. And I'm sure the Rangers' bench is on that side too, and with line changes, I think it's better to be closer to your defensive zone twice a game.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
  #7
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
Money is a partial object because I'm always paying for two nights in a hotel in NY, but I'm looking around $100 a piece max if I can help it. I'll need two tickets, and they're playing the Bruins. I wanted to catch a game where they were playing somebody else (as I've seen the bruins play them quite a bit in beantown) but this was the only time I could get some significant time off of work around a weekend.

From the chart posted I think I might shoot for something between 313 and 331. If you're right and they shoot on the left side two out of three, I'd rather see more ranger offense, just in case I happen to catch a game where weekes makes the start.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been a Ranger fan for about 14 years now (I know, I know, short compared to some of you) and I felt like it was finally time to make the pilgrimage. I'm looking forward to it!

I'd suggest trying for seats somewhere around section 109/110 or 120/121. For this game you should be able to find them at face ($70/each.) Close to the end the Rangers attack twice, but also not too far from center ice...and pretty close to the ice too. Great seats and well within your budget. Check our ticket for sale thread (stickied at the top) or craigslist. If you don't find anything post an add there stating what your're looking for and someone might email you.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
  #8
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
Well, I hope you weren't planning to get tickets through Ticketmaster or any other face value route because the Rangers are in some pretty serious demand this season. Leave some extra room in your budget because you will most likely have to pay significantly more through Stub Hub or some other auction site.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
  #9
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Well, I hope you weren't planning to get tickets through Ticketmaster or any other face value route because the Rangers are in some pretty serious demand this season. Leave some extra room in your budget because you will most likely have to pay significantly more through Stub Hub or some other auction site.
While you are right about demand being up...you can still get tickets for face value to nearly every game from places like craigslist. The closer it is to the day of the game the lower the prices go as sellers are looking to get rid of them at any cost. Obviously that doesn't work for someone who wants to have the tickets ahead of time...but unless it's a marquee matchup (Rangers/Red Wings, Opening Night, Retirement Ceremony, or similar) tickets will be readily available.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
  #10
VEGASRANGERFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
I use to have access to season tickets in sec. 206. Pretty much perfect seats, but good luck trying to find available seats.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
  #11
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,062
vCash: 500
I sat in the 400's on Opening Night... My first time up there...

I agree the view can be somewhat limited (from 412-414)... However my friend and I stood up on the walkway behind the railing and had a much better view of the ice... We both actually preferred to stand and just hung out up there drinking our beers and watching the game...

As long as the ushers don't care, I think in the future if I can't find 2 seats together, we'll just buy random single seats and then just pick our section in the 400's and probably do the same thing, stand up in the back where there view is still pretty good....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:30 PM
  #12
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

As long as the ushers don't care, I think in the future if I can't find 2 seats together, we'll just buy random single seats and then just pick our section in the 400's and probably do the same thing, stand up in the back where there view is still pretty good....
Great idea, so good I think I might use it myself. Your not impeding anyones view or path up there, are you?

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:35 PM
  #13
Sicilian
Registered User
 
Sicilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
This has all been great info guys, thanks again!

Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:05 AM
  #14
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
Money is a partial object because I'm always paying for two nights in a hotel in NY, but I'm looking around $100 a piece max if I can help it. I'll need two tickets, and they're playing the Bruins. I wanted to catch a game where they were playing somebody else (as I've seen the bruins play them quite a bit in beantown) but this was the only time I could get some significant time off of work around a weekend.

From the chart posted I think I might shoot for something between 313 and 331. If you're right and they shoot on the left side two out of three, I'd rather see more ranger offense, just in case I happen to catch a game where weekes makes the start.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been a Ranger fan for about 14 years now (I know, I know, short compared to some of you) and I felt like it was finally time to make the pilgrimage. I'm looking forward to it!
You're correct--the area you're talking about (which actually runs from about the faceoff circle around the back of the goal when you're heading clockwise from sect313) is the side where the Rangers shoot twice. Fletch's old section 343 is on the other side of the rink where the Rangers defend twice. I sit in sect312 to I can vouch for at least some of those sections...

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 04:10 AM
  #15
kickice
Registered User
 
kickice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange County, NY
Country: Wales
Posts: 537
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
Hey guys!

I'm planning my first trip to a Rangers game at MSG in January! Any tips for what sections I should be looking for, or anything like that? Any sections I should try to stay away from?

They have a pretty good record when I get to see them in Boston, hopefully I can bring that luck with me.

Thanks!

are you at MSG for the game against Boston on Jan 13? If you are, there is a load of us from the 'other' Rangers board (one on the official site), that are having a get together before and after the game, you are welcome to come along if you fancy a beer or 10 Just send me a PM if you want.

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.