HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Looking at Brian Leetch

Old
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Dawit49

vCash: 500
How much is he asking for ?

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
I'm somewhat ambivalent about Leetch but if he is in shape and the salary is cost-effective then by all means do it. The PP needs a booster shot in more ways than one.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Kaktus*

I do not mind. 500K plus 500K bonus if he plays and contribute.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Fine with me. More like how Paul Coffey was used at the end of his carreer so long as he is willing to do it. He's someone that knows what he's doing.
My exact same thought, that this would be similar to when Coffey was a Flyer. I'd be fine with him if he took a huge pay cut from what he made in Boston ($4M).

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
My exact same thought, that this would be similar to when Coffey was a Flyer. I'd be fine with him if he took a huge pay cut from what he made in Boston ($4M).
my question would be... do you really carry Jonsson AND Leetch on this roster? if you're looking at 10ish minutes of PP time a night in a normal game, btwn Leetch and Pitkanen you're going to eat up a lot of the point time on the PP right there. Jonsson almost becomes a hole in the roster if they're not really interested in putting him out there at 5 on 5 in a regular shift (which is what it sounds like their intention is for the time being).

i guess we'll see if it happens.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
my question would be... do you really carry Jonsson AND Leetch on this roster? if you're looking at 10ish minutes of PP time a night in a normal game, btwn Leetch and Pitkanen you're going to eat up a lot of the point time on the PP right there. Jonsson almost becomes a hole in the roster if they're not really interested in putting him out there at 5 on 5 in a regular shift (which is what it sounds like their intention is for the time being).

i guess we'll see if it happens.
Leetch is on the number one PP unit with Pitkanen. Jonsson and Meyer goes on number unit two.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
A Flock Of Seguins

Works for me, Leetch looked out of place last year with my B's, but he was used wrong. 1st D-man minutes? No way, but 3rd/4th he should be capable of. Paired curiously with David Tanabe, Leetch found himself in far too many one-on-ones last year which, as an offensive D-man, he shouldn't have. Quite why both the D-men who were pretty much all-attack were paired together, i've still no idea. Understandably, he handled those moments badly, but still showed enough speed and offensive flair to be serviceable. He still looked good on the powerplay until he was tracking back down the ice to make up for his partner's mistakes. I'm not pinning all his +/- on his linemates, he made some sucky moves himself, but he's done that often when overused in the last few years. For a year at 4th D-man wage, he's worth it indeed, I think. Most of the criticism levelled at him last year was a result of his sizeable contract and expectations of him being the No-1 guy, he'd be great for what we want him for.

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Gert B Frobe

I think it's a great idea

why the heck not???

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, the big thing is that once Rathje is healthy (they said he'd be out of the lineup for 4 weeks if he has surgery, so his back can't be that bad), the Leetch signing gives us some real flexibility if we decide to move an extra body. Say if a deal comes along for a goalie (I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not comfortable resting our goaltending on the shoulders of one player who has a bad hip and is going to need an operation and the other who couldn't stop a beach ball if his life depended on it), we might be able to package someone like Meyer or Jonsson if it means landing someone who can shore up the position. People might not like it, but can we really trust Niittymaki's hip to hold up over the rigors of a season? I don't think we can.

Signing Leetch would be beneficial all the way around. He can still play some minutes and paired with a guy like a Hatcher or a Rathje, he could still be real effective.

Old
10-09-2006, 09:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Is Lars a power play guy only?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:58 PM
wheeler1*

What about Morris for Umberger? The yotes need a foward with potential and could spare a defencmen, with Yandle close to being NHL ready. Morris has played well for us and is still under 30 years of age.

wheeler1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellerfan View Post
What about Morris for Umberger? The yotes need a foward with potential and could spare a defencmen, with Yandle close to being NHL ready. Morris has played well for us and is still under 30 years of age.
Don't think the Coyotes would do it but I sure would.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I would not do that. Maybe one of our prospects in the AHL and picks or some combination. Unfortunately, I think Umberger is heading down the same path as Gagne for the first few years of his career, being moved around and not used properly. He and Carter should not have been separated.

I am all for signing Leetch if he is playing on the 3rd pairing, #1 powerplay and then spot duty when needed. He would be an EXCELLENT mentor to Pitkanen, and may give him the confidence to get over the hump and be more consistent. Pitkanen is on the verge of becoming a star, I think Leetch would give him that kick in the butt he needs to finally do it. What Leetch may now lack in footspeed, I would think he still has the awareness and passing skills to get it out of the zone.

As for Gauthier, like him or not, I think we need him in the lineup cause he gives us the one thing that no one else on the back end does and that is nasty physical play. Hatcher is too slow at this point. Someone needs to be physical back there.

I say we hang in there for right now and then try to pick someone up a month or so into the season. Someone like Vaanenen in Colorado or Staios in Edmonton who appear to be on the way out.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think the one thing the Leetch signing might do is create some much needed chemistry on this team. Funny thing happens with chemistry. It's a lot like the flu in that it can be contagious. If we sign Leetch and pair him with Pitkanen on the power play and if the youngsters like Meyer and Jonsson are mentored by Leetch, it might create a synergistic effect. It might spread to the forwards, who looked kind of lethargic. The Leetch signing might just be the shot in the arm this team needs more than anything. Yeah, he might be old, but some players just have a funny way of working in certain environments. I think this would be one environment that would work very well for Leetch.

Now, someone on here was talking about a Morris/Umberger trade, but I'd hold off on that right now. We don't want to make too many changes because then it looks like we're desperate and teams will take us to the woodshed in deals. Right now, the only deals I'd make would be to sign Leetch to help shore up the blueline and deal for a goalie like Bryzgalov, Nabokov or Giguere. I know people are going to flame because we've got Niittymaki, but I'm just not confident about resting our goaltending hopes on a player with a bad hip and is going to require surgery. They say it won't get any worse than what it is, but it won't get any better either.

Like I mentioned previously, the Leetch signing really gives us some flexibility too in terms of what players we could possibly move in a deal for a goaltender. For instance, we could move a Freddy Meyer or a Lars Jonsson and replace them with someone like Alex Picard or David Printz and we wouldn't be worse off for it. It's kind of nice to have options available like that.

Old
10-10-2006, 12:29 AM
watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Leetch is on the number one PP unit with Pitkanen. Jonsson and Meyer goes on number unit two.
I would see Leetch as a mentor for Jonsson

do it would be

Pitkanen Meyer
Leetch Jonsson

But this is really off specualtion, and he still has to decide if he wants to play this season, is he in shape and does he want to be away from his family who I think live in the boston area at this point in his career

lots of IF's and I am sure there are other offers out there giving him a better offer or building up the cost to sign him

reminds me of the offseason Chris Pronger sweepstakes, except for an experienced D man who is yet unsigned after the start of the season

I thought Leetch would retire, to deal with family issues and look back on a hall of fame career... maybe he can give it another go... time will tell

tick tick tick

watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 04:19 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I would think about it. Morris is pretty good. I wonder if Flyers can trade for Kasper and give up less then Umberger Geroux or Downie?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-10-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old
10-10-2006, 05:45 AM
panayiotis

oh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower View Post
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/15717428.htm

Very sorry if this has been discussed. Could be interesting, though can Leetch provide that which Rathje and Hatcher supposedly cannot?
wow! he is not passed his prime! Terrible in boston last year.....come on clarke...

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
wow! he is not passed his prime! Terrible in boston last year.....come on clarke...
He is still better then Jones and we do not have to give up anyone.

Old
10-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Mythology

What about Radoslav Suchy as an unsigned possibility?

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
leetch could also help with the transition game, but does he even want to play?

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
not really smart guy we'd be over the cap, and leetch aint gonna cost anything near that
Yeah, and the guys Clarke chose to keep sure are a whole lot better than Kim was.
Now you're stuck digging into the ranks of washed-up defensemen.

Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
Yeah, and the guys Clarke chose to keep sure are a whole lot better than Kim was.
Now you're stuck digging into the ranks of washed-up defensemen.
We couldn't afford to keep Kim at his asking price. Would we be better off if we kept Kim? I don't know. He didn't play well last season and I haven't heard anything positive about his play so far this season. I've heard about costly turnovers so far in his season with Minnesota. Granted, it's early in the season, but none the less, he's starting out this year the same as he did last year.

Old
10-10-2006, 03:04 PM
FoppaArGud

if the price is right

last year the bs were expecting too much from him, he is a second or third pair guy who gets time on the pp, not a top pair d man anymore. he really couldnt handle the minutes and looked out of sorts in ways he hasnt before in his career. a guy like that can only help a team with young players, if he isnt demanding big money (cant imagine he is), great, we need another d man or two.

FoppaArGud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I would think about it. Morris is pretty good. I wonder if Flyers can trade for Kasper and give up less then Umberger Geroux or Downie?
I hope you aren't referring to Kasparitis, the same guy who is still recovering from a shoulder and sports hernia operations. The same guy who also has ongoing problems with his knees. We don't need him. We need puck movers to keep the heat of guys like Hatcher and Gauthier.

Old
10-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I hope you aren't referring to Kasparitis, the same guy who is still recovering from a shoulder and sports hernia operations. The same guy who also has ongoing problems with his knees. We don't need him. We need puck movers to keep the heat of guys like Hatcher and Gauthier.
Not to mention we don't need another dirty hit throwing turtler on our back end.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote