HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gretzky and Kurri vs Lemieux and Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Erngueva

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Beat me to it.

Mario and Jagr's supporting cast was as rich as the Oilers.
So Pittsburgh of the 90's are as good than the Oilers of the 80's ?

Old
11-23-2003, 01:35 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Gretzky and Kurri....I think a lot of people here are underrating Kurri in his hayday

Old
11-23-2003, 01:37 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Exactly, the goalies sucked in the 80's...boy did they suck, a wrister from center ice would look like a MacInnis shot against them.

I'll always pick Mario and Jagr over Gretz and Kurri, cuz i really really dislike Gretz anyways.
So you are biased? Good, we don't need to count your opinion anymore.

Old
11-23-2003, 02:18 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
So Pittsburgh of the 90's are as good than the Oilers of the 80's ?
Not as good, but close too it.

The list of HOFers and elite players that were on those Cup teams is enormous: Coffey, Barrasso, Murphy, Francis, Recchi, Tocchett, Stevens, Joe Mullen. Heck, even Bryan Trottier closed out his career on that squad.

Old
11-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

The list of HOFers and elite players that were on those Cup teams is enormous: Coffey, Barrasso, Murphy, Francis, Recchi, Tocchett, Stevens, Joe Mullen. Heck, even Bryan Trottier closed out his career on that squad.
Good, i cant compare cause im too young, but i always heard how much this Oilers team was superior and i was surprised by your comment...

Old
11-23-2003, 03:58 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

Yup. The myth that Mario was palying with 16 Rob Browns is completely false.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

Slap yourself for calling Barrasso and Murphy elite talents dammit :p

Old
11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
Good, i cant compare cause im too young, but i always heard how much this Oilers team was superior and i was surprised by your comment...
That Oiler team was phenominal, a hoard of HOFers there too. I would call it better, but I don't think the margin is all that great.

Most of the players from the Pens run are still playing. When all is said and done, a good chunk of them will make the HOF was well.

Francis, Jagr, Mario, Coffey and Murphy are locks. Trottier is alreayd in. Mullen and Barrasso are already in the US HOF, I would give them a decent shot at the Hockey HOF. Recchi has the numbers of a HOFer, not sure if he has had the career though. Samuelson was one of the best stay-at-home defenders of his era, but not neccesarily HOF bound. Tocchet should make it as one of the best Power Forwards of his generation. Stevens is not likely to go, but he too was a benchmark for power forwards. Even some of the players that were mearly depth in the Cup runs have gone on to have notable careers (McEachern, Straka).

IMO, that the Pens run of excellence was considerably shorter had more to do with the changing of the NHL environment and not the foundation of talent. Back in the Oilers run, a million dollar player was a superstar. Now that is a 4th liner. The Oilers played in an era where it was financially possible to have 10 HOFers in their prime under contract. The modern era has made that a fiscal impossibility.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Mullen and Barrasso are already in the US HOF, I would give them a decent shot at the Hockey HOF.
I believe Joey is already in. He made it largely because he was the first US born player over 1000pts.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Slap yourself for calling Barrasso and Murphy elite talents dammit :p
Come on, Murphy was one of the best d-men of his eras. I would put him as one of the top-10 of his era.

Barrasso is the most successful American born goalie of all time. The guy was like Fuhr in that he just found ways to win. How many 18 year olf goalies come into the league and not only win the Calder, but the Vezina as well? People always note how critical the Francis trade was for the Pens Cups, but acquiring Barrasso wasn't far behind.

While I don't think Barrasso will make the hockey HOF (he could, but he is on the bubble), he was certainly an elite goalie in his day. Too bad he stuck around a week past that day and was such an A-hole...

Old
11-23-2003, 04:18 PM
JCD

Quote:
I believe Joey is already in. He made it largely because he was the first US born player over 1000pts.
You could be right, I wasn't sure.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Come on, Murphy was one of the best d-men of his eras. I would put him as one of the top-10 of his era.

Barrasso is the most successful American born goalie of all time. The guy was like Fuhr in that he just found ways to win. How many 18 year olf goalies come into the league and not only win the Calder, but the Vezina as well? People always note how critical the Francis trade was for the Pens Cups, but acquiring Barrasso wasn't far behind.

While I don't think Barrasso will make the hockey HOF (he could, but he is on the bubble), he was certainly an elite goalie in his day. Too bad he stuck around a week past that day and was such an A-hole...
I think it was obvious that I was kidding around. Murphy and Barrasso are two of the most underappreciated stars of the last 20 years, Murphy in particular. I was poking fun at the fact people never really gave them their due.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
JCD

Quote:
I think it was obvious that I was kidding around. Murphy and Barrasso are two of the most underappreciated stars of the last 20 years, Murphy in particular. I was poking fun at the fact people never really gave them their due.
My bad.

I was so used to hearing people belittle them that the sarcasm was lost.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps
Oh really now. I guess that's why Kurri had 102 pts in 88-89 in 76 games, 93 pts in 89-90 in 78 games without Gretzky, and 87 pts in 92-93 in 82 games when Gretzky only played 16 games because of his back injury.
Do some research before posting such comments.
Actually, I've said later I was a bit harsh and meant as an NHL STAR.
Please read the whole thread.

Closed Thread