HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Another rumour as per CNNSI.com

Old
10-09-2006, 04:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Another rumour as per CNNSI.com

So, I was on the CNNSI.com site and was checking out the truth and rumours (it's how us Canadians spell it) section and saw a rather interesting rumour. While Brian Burke denied it (which he clearly does whenever he's got something in the works), there was talk that Clarke did indeed contact Anaheim to see about the possibility of acquiring Ilya Bryzgalov.

Anyone else think that maybe Bobby is not too confident with the goaltending right now and is looking at really shoring up the position? Personally, I think it's a great move, especially if Niittymaki's hip doesn't hold up. The only thing I worry about is that the cost is going to be high for Bryzgalov.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
BringBackStevens

i think toskala and bryzgalov are going to cost way too much. i liked nittys game last night, just wish we could ditch rebound rob

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 05:41 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
i think toskala and bryzgalov are going to cost way too much. i liked nittys game last night, just wish we could ditch rebound rob
Speaking of awful rebounds they don't come any worse than the Rangers first goal. Thaat was a horrific rebound off a nothing shot from the point.

The tying goal wasn't all that much better, backhander from a bad angle that he put right up the slot.

If Esche gave up either of those two goals he'd be getting crucified.

Yes, Niitty was excellent during the shooout, but if he played better earlier the game ends during regulation.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
chthonic

trade esche and calder for either goalie. i dont know if that makes logistical sense, but id be fine with it. anything more, eh not worth giving up so much for unproven tenders.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Speaking of awful rebounds they don't come any worse than the Rangers first goal. Thaat was a horrific rebound off a nothing shot from the point.

The tying goal wasn't all that much better, backhander from a bad angle that he put right up the slot.

Yes, Niitty was excellent during the shooout, but if he played better earlier the game ends during regulation.
It also ends in regulation if the puck doesn't hit a seam in the glass.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
trade esche and calder for either goalie. i dont know if that makes logistical sense, but id be fine with it. anything more, eh not worth giving up so much for unproven tenders.
Calder? You're giving up already?

I would be furious if we traded Handzus to get 2 games out of Calder.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

well to me the difference was nitty was able to make some other big saves whereas rob was stuck with 3 goals on 11 shots or whatever it was after 2

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Calder? You're giving up already?

I would be furious if we traded Handzus to get 2 games out of Calder.
Yes, definitely, especially since Handzus has 5 points in the first 2 games over in Chicago. If he stays healthy, I bet he has 60+ points this year.

I never wanted to trade Handzus but I will admit that I was not against getting Calder, only because I thought we finally got the winger Umberger/Carter needed, but not if he is going to be used this way. Just give Umberger Carter Calder a try. I bet it would work! Let Richards use his playmaking skills with Sanderson.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yes, definitely, especially since Handzus has 5 points in the first 2 games over in Chicago. If he stays healthy, I bet he has 60+ points this year.
I'm not going to fret over Handzus' numbers in Chicago. He's playing on the top line with Havlat, so he's going to get points. As well, they play offensive hockey in Chicago, so everyone's numbers will always be better when compared to a defensive hockey team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I never wanted to trade Handzus but I will admit that I was not against getting Calder, only because I thought we finally got the winger Umberger/Carter needed, but not if he is going to be used this way. Just give Umberger Carter Calder a try. I bet it would work! Let Richards use his playmaking skills with Sanderson.
What's disappointing about it all is that Calder is being used on the checking line with Nedved and Kapanen. Once again, another example of talent being wasted in Philadelphia. I'm sorry, but Hitch needs to be blamed for that one. Why would you put a 30 goal scorer on the checking line with Nedved and Kapanen, especially when the goal of the checking line is to shut down the opposition's scoring line?

I can honestly say that Robitaille's spot on the Richards-Sanderson line needs to come to an end so that Calder can play there. I'm sorry, but Robitaille is nowhere near the player that Calder is and to waste Calder on playing with Nedved and Kapanen, two players who are on the decline of their career is a waste any way you look at it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What's disappointing about it all is that Calder is being used on the checking line with Nedved and Kapanen. Once again, another example of talent being wasted in Philadelphia. I'm sorry, but Hitch needs to be blamed for that one. Why would you put a 30 goal scorer on the checking line with Nedved and Kapanen, especially when the goal of the checking line is to shut down the opposition's scoring line?

I can honestly say that Robitaille's spot on the Richards-Sanderson line needs to come to an end so that Calder can play there. I'm sorry, but Robitaille is nowhere near the player that Calder is and to waste Calder on playing with Nedved and Kapanen, two players who are on the decline of their career is a waste any way you look at it.
I'm all aboard the Hitch blame train when it comes to this one. You're right. The guy is dreadful at putting lines together.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Jester

Quote:

cuz it's not actually a checking line... Forsberg v. Jagr was the match-up all night. with Carter moving back to center Calder will end up with one of Carter and Richards in the not too distant future. Dimitrakos doesn't have a long shelf life here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:

If your gonna blame anyone, blame the fowards during the shootout, It looked like they were passing the puck to Lundqvist

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:

That's all a fair assessment, and I'm one of Niitty's biggest fans. I think it can be attributed to the layoff he had. I don't think he had as good of a game as people say, but he was still better than Esche, at least Niitty also made saves to stay in the game.

That said...score in the shootout. Yes both goalies were excellent, but this is the NHL, that's nothing short of pathetic if you can't score once on 12 tries, and it was equally pathetic that the Rangers couldn't do it either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
brownhornet

Go and get Ilya already! I picked him in my pool and need the points

brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
I'd hate to see an asset like Calder wasted like that, but now that you mentioned it, it really wouldn't surprise me if Calder quickly ended up being trade bait.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 09:21 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

That is a fact.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not going to fret over Handzus' numbers in Chicago. He's playing on the top line with Havlat, so he's going to get points. As well, they play offensive hockey in Chicago, so everyone's numbers will always be better when compared to a defensive hockey team.

In all honesty I say we name you head coach
see how you do.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote