HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes (3rd Pairing D/Useless Forwards/Backup Goaltender)

Old
10-10-2006, 12:17 AM
silver_made*

vCash: 500
Changes (3rd Pairing D/Useless Forwards/Backup Goaltender)

Out: Montador, Mezei
In: Jackman, Kwiatkowski

Martin needs to stop jerking around the 3rd pairing. Confidence can't be built by any of these guys if they are being shuffled in and out of the lineup. Mezei is a big slug of a tree. Trade him, demote him, waive him. He's useless in the faster NHL. Montador is barely a #6, has zero offensive upside, and is sort of tough. Jackman and Kwiatkowski are not only no worse on D than Mezei and Montador, but bring alot more on offense. Both have the speed to stay with the play and can even be used from time to time on the PP.

Out: Gelinas, Roberts, Olesz, Campbell
In: ?

There will be no more laughing at the likes of Jason Allison and Bobby Ryan: Gary Roberts is the slowest player in the league today. He is 40 years old. Aside from being Nieuwendyk's security blanket, I can't believe this organization couldn't upgrade the spot he occupies. Martin Gelinas isn't too far off. He isn't as dreadfully slow, but he doesn't really do anything well either.

The fact that Olesz is a regular and Campbell is the first called up on most occasions speaks less to their abilities and more to how low-quality our organizational depth is at the minor league levels and collection of prospects. Olesz and Campbell wouldn't even be ppg players in the AHL, but the fact is there is nothing keeping them OFF the NHL squad. Looking at our affiliates in the AHL, ECHL, and everyone we have drafted makes a fan sad. Frolik and Stewart are still a ways away from being regular NHL contributors, and that says alot about them as Panther prospects.

Out: Belfour
In: Anderson

The way Auld played against Toronto, in response to Martin's refusal to play Belfour against his old club despite cries from the Eagle, has me worried: Alex played so well that Jacques may well run him into the ground knowing that a worn out Auld is more effective than Belfour in any condition. Almost all teams today have a 2nd goalie who takes around 25-30 games minimum. With the explosion of quality goatending running 3-4 players deep in most organizations, the days of the 70-75 starts goaltender are going by the wayside. Craig Anderson, former OHL goaltender of the year, actually put up half-way decent numbers on some of the most putrid Chicago teams the NHL has even seen. Florida needs a goalie in here who can be relied on to make 20+ quality starts to help Auld make it through the season (and HOPEFULLY the playoffs). Anderson at 25 years of age, same as Auld and 16 years Belfour's junior, should at least be given a shot. He can certainly do no worse in his debut than the Eagle.

On a side note, anyone else find jokinen's play underwhelming? It's almost like he has handed the team over to bertuzzi and is gladly riding shotgun. He is our longterm forward centerpiece and is not playing like it.

silver_made* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Panthers_Fan

Gelinas, Roberts, Olesz out? This better be a joke? Your trashing of Olesz in the post is really annoying me right now. He was awesome last season and is only in his second year. Give the guy a break. He is a solid NHLer. I do agree with your defense, but I wanted that third pairing from the beginning of the season.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:49 AM
silver_made*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
Gelinas, Roberts, Olesz out? This better be a joke? Your trashing of Olesz in the post is really annoying me right now. He was awesome last season and is only in his second year. Give the guy a break. He is a solid NHLer. I do agree with your defense, but I wanted that third pairing from the beginning of the season.
Why the staunch defense of Olesz? Just about every prospect (Weiss, Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Kolnik, Stewart, Horton, Krajicek) has had to prove themselves in the AHL before earning an NHL spot. Olesz is on the big team not because he deserves it, because he sure as hell could benefit from boosting his ego with greater offensive responsibility in the AHL, but because we have no other options (blame Keenan and Martin).

Old
10-10-2006, 01:20 AM
pantherpaws

Anderson has had plenty of opportunities to make it in the NHL. He was waived by three teams last season. He is a great AHL goalie, but not an NHL goalie.

pantherpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925 View Post
Why the staunch defense of Olesz? Just about every prospect (Weiss, Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Kolnik, Stewart, Horton, Krajicek) has had to prove themselves in the AHL before earning an NHL spot. Olesz is on the big team not because he deserves it, because he sure as hell could benefit from boosting his ego with greater offensive responsibility in the AHL, but because we have no other options (blame Keenan and Martin).
And my point is he proved himself last year, not to mention THIS season he has 2 points in 3 games. Are you telling me players with 2 points in three games should be demoted?

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:30 AM
silver_made*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
And my point is he proved himself last year, not to mention THIS season he has 2 points in 3 games. Are you telling me players with 2 points in three games should be demoted?
who DIDN'T score in that Boston game?

Olesz is a 40-45 point 2rd line player at his peak. A poor man's Lehtinen. An asset? Absolutely. A cornerstone piece who needs to be tried, and tried, and re-tried on top lines? Absolutely not. If he goes down to Rochester a explodes, he deserves his NHL spot. Right now, though, I see no necessity in rushing him into big responsibilities at the NHL level. Will we make a deal for a more established NHLer so Olesz can hone his offensive game in the AHL like the Hudlers, Parises, and O'Sullivan's of the world have done in recent season's? Probably not, and it is unfortunate for his development. He will stay with Florida because the organization has no choice.

BTW, if 21 points in 59 games is "awesome," then what the hell did Ovechkin accomplish?

Old
10-10-2006, 01:34 AM
silver_made*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherpaws View Post
Anderson has had plenty of opportunities to make it in the NHL. He was waived by three teams last season. He is a great AHL goalie, but not an NHL goalie.
worse than 4 goals on 9 shots? we signed the guy; why not use him? the guy had a shutout for chicago last saeason; pretty amazing feat if you think about it. he is still young and looking to deal picks/prospects/spare parts for a an upgrade at backup goalie is not really the greatest priority right now.

just call up anderson and give him a shot.

Old
10-10-2006, 01:57 AM
pantherpaws

Belfour will bounce back. Stop pressing the panic button.

pantherpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 07:15 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:

Martin needs to stop jerking around the 3rd pairing. Confidence can't be built by any of these guys if they are being shuffled in and out of the lineup. Mezei is a big slug of a tree. Trade him, demote him, waive him. He's useless in the faster NHL. Montador is barely a #6, has zero offensive upside, and is sort of tough. Jackman and Kwiatkowski are not only no worse on D than Mezei and Montador, but bring alot more on offense. Both have the speed to stay with the play and can even be used from time to time on the PP.

There will be no more laughing at the likes of Jason Allison and Bobby Ryan: Gary Roberts is the slowest player in the league today. He is 40 years old. Aside from being Nieuwendyk's security blanket, I can't believe this organization couldn't upgrade the spot he occupies. Martin Gelinas isn't too far off. He isn't as dreadfully slow, but he doesn't really do anything well either.

The fact that Olesz is a regular and Campbell is the first called up on most occasions speaks less to their abilities and more to how low-quality our organizational depth is at the minor league levels and collection of prospects. Olesz and Campbell wouldn't even be ppg players in the AHL, but the fact is there is nothing keeping them OFF the NHL squad. Looking at our affiliates in the AHL, ECHL, and everyone we have drafted makes a fan sad. Frolik and Stewart are still a ways away from being regular NHL contributors, and that says alot about them as Panther prospects.

Out: Belfour
In: Anderson

The way Auld played against Toronto, in response to Martin's refusal to play Belfour against his old club despite cries from the Eagle, has me worried: Alex played so well that Jacques may well run him into the ground knowing that a worn out Auld is more effective than Belfour in any condition. Almost all teams today have a 2nd goalie who takes around 25-30 games minimum. With the explosion of quality goatending running 3-4 players deep in most organizations, the days of the 70-75 starts goaltender are going by the wayside. Craig Anderson, former OHL goaltender of the year, actually put up half-way decent numbers on some of the most putrid Chicago teams the NHL has even seen. Florida needs a goalie in here who can be relied on to make 20+ quality starts to help Auld make it through the season (and HOPEFULLY the playoffs). Anderson at 25 years of age, same as Auld and 16 years Belfour's junior, should at least be given a shot. He can certainly do no worse in his debut than the Eagle.

On a side note, anyone else find jokinen's play underwhelming? It's almost like he has handed the team over to bertuzzi and is gladly riding shotgun. He is our longterm forward centerpiece and is not playing like it.

Am I the only one who thinks Roberts looks a lot faster and is flying out there on the ice? I've watched hockey for years upon years and played it for as long as that, but maybe I'm just enamoured by those NikeBauer Supreme One90 Skates he has on, I have the same ones, maybe I subliminally think that they make him faster and I don't realize it because I want those skates to make people faster since I have them, I dunno, whatever, but I really think Roberts has been fast in on the forecheck for us and looks quicker.

Jokinen will wake up, he started slowly last season, he usually doesn't start really exploding up front for a little while. If we get a few months in and he's not doing anything, then we'll see but for now, relax.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

The only thing you're right about is Belfour out. Gelinas and Roberts have been very good on the ice this year - Roberts got a number of chances last night, so I don't know where you're getting the idea he's the slowest in the league. Olesz is a good young player who could be a great player when he reaches his prime, and Mezei's made a few mistakes, but that's to be expected when he hasn't played much the past few years, and overall he doesn't make too many and gives us another physical presence on the ice and also isn't as slow as you suggest. He's a very satisfactory #5 guy (though I wouldn't want him to see #2-3 minutes). Montador's a bit iffy, but Jackman was playing last night, and did well. But I wouldn't want Kiwi and Jackman paired together - both have a bit of an offensive mindset and could leave the defensive end abandoned on occasion.

I luckily missed the Atlanta game, but overall the performance opening night and last night weren't bad. If the team can keep it up, they'll end up ahead in the long run.

My only concern now is the fact Olesz might be out with another injury anyway, and Nieuwendyk too. Gives a couple rookies a shot (Booth and Stew?), but I'd prefer they get AHL minutes and Joe and Rostislav come back soon.

10-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
First off you named 4 forwards who have played great games (I'm discounting Atlanta game because EVERYONE was horrible in that). Gelinas and Roberts are older but certainly not done, Roberts did assist on that only goal last night and if you want to see slow, try Jason Allison. Roberts may not be very fast anymore, but he still brings the hurt to the other team, just standing in front of that net caused a goal on Friday by Van Ryn, and not many players are willing to take that punishment. Campbell and Olesz are young strong players, Campbell is only the team because Peltonen is injured anyway, he's actually a healthy scratch when everyone is healthy, but he's useful for the PK and 4th line minutes, cheap too. Olesz, c'mon if you can't see Olesz's talent, drive, determination, the guy tried to hit Chara, there is no doubt that the Olesz-Nieuwendyk-Bertuzzi line has been the best so far. The 3rd D pairing is frightfully up in the air. As for Belfour, I find it hard to believe Anderson would be any better, "maybe" Pelletier, but you've got a better chance of getting an on night from Belfour than wanting to see the Chicago influenced Anderson.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Aside from being Nieuwendyk's security blanket, I can't believe this organization couldn't upgrade the spot he occupies.
How is he Joe's security blanket? Joe doesn't need a security blanket. He's won 2 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe trophy without Gary. Joe is an amazing player who is capable of defending himself. Also, the majority of his accomplishments have been done without Gary on his team. They rarely even play on the same line, usually only on the PP. Security blanket my arse.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 07:56 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
who DIDN'T score in that Boston game?
It's pretty pointless to make that argument. The 2nd line was the best and most dominant line in that game. Olesz-Niewy-Bert had a collective 3 goals and 6 assists, no other line came close to that. The kid can handle his own and did so last year. He proved he belonged from the beginning of camp.

Keenan isn't a fan of rookies either, but when Keenan signed Olesz he did so with the intention of playing him right away based on his talent and experience playing against other pros in the Czech league. Olesz has done nothing to warrant being sent down. He's already developed his game against the big boyz so he should continue to develop at the NHL level.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherpaws View Post
He also cleared waivers again this season.

The Panthers better hope that they don't have to rely on Anderson to backup Auld.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Madhatter73

As I said in the other thread...

It was the 3rd game in 4 nights...
It's the start of the season...

We have 3 Points in 3 games...

Right now we're tied for 5th in the east... We're 2nd in our division...

It's not the end of the world yet... Give them a chance to get their feet under them...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:16 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
As I said in the other thread...

It was the 3rd game in 4 nights...
It's the start of the season...

We have 3 Points in 3 games...

Right now we're tied for 5th in the east... We're 2nd in our division...

It's not the end of the world yet... Give them a chance to get their feet under them...
Right, and don't forget the d-men have only had 5 actual games together as a unit since the final roster was set.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Right, and don't forget the d-men have only had 5 actual games together as a unit since the final roster was set.
For the most part, because consider the fact that the 3rd pairing has been changed for every game this regular season, he's switched out Montador, Kiwi, and Jackman so far, cause he's not sure who to use. Each has their ups and downs but none stand out as a clear choice yet.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I dont think anyone is hitting the panic button here. From what I read / hear it seems like the team is looking like the years before flat no motivation team. I cant believe these shot counts against us

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Laus723
Future Now

The only thing you're right on is maybe Belfour. It's 3 games in, RELAX!

10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Rotang

I can think of a few teams who would take Olesz off your hands

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote