HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Joe Nieuwendyk, first ballot HOF'er?

View Poll Results: Is Joe Nieuwendyk a first ballot HOF'er?
yes 16 24.62%
no 49 75.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
Okay, here's the last time (hopefully I get it right this time). There are players who have elevated their play in the playoffs and still are not in the HOF. There are players who may have not been the best playoff performers and are in the HOF. While I agree that a HOF election should more heavily weigh a player's playoff performance, that does not seem to be a deciding factor in some cases. Hence, the conclusion that Nieuwendyk may not be a certain hall of famer can be brought forward.

I hope he gets in because he is a quality character and has always been a model hockey player on and off the ice. However, I don't think it's a lock like most here are suggesting...
Niewendyk is nearly a lock in the sense that HE WILL GET IN eventually almost certainly. Even if it is 25 years form now. I think he will need to wait out 3-5 election years to get in. I won't be surprised if he gets passed over for several elections though. !st ballot is very unlikely. It also depends on who is on the selection committee at the time. It is a very small group and who is voting really does matter. The baseball Hall of Fame has a much larger voting group and being the favorites of a few or being hated by a few voters doesn't matter as much.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Sens Rule

I really don't think Claude Lemieux has a chance at the Hall of Fame. Aside from the playoffs his resume is very iffy. He just wasn't a great player in the regular season. And he certainly is not loved by many, likely even the teams and players he won the champions with.

Not only do I personally think Lemieux should not make the HHOf I really think that he has almost no chance with the voters of getting in.

I think Glenn Anderson has a far better chance, as does Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Recchi, Mark Howe even Housley and Turgeon. Propp and Kerr also have a better chance of getting in. There is probably a list of 50 borderline candidates I could list that has a better chance than Lemieux at the HHOF. I don't even see it as a tough choice by the HHOF voters.

Old
10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Hyped

I think Glenn Anderson's career is similar hockey-wise (both regular season and playoffs) to Nieuwendyk's career. When Anderson retired in '96 (or '97??) I don't think anyone would have believed someone who said he wouldn't be in the HOF by 2006. I think Anderson will get in eventually too, but he's coming up against some stiff competition for the next few years. I think Nieuwendyk's path to the HOF may follow that of Anderson's because he was never really a superstar in the league. There was always a few players better than him. Here's to hoping both guys make it...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
I really don't think Claude Lemieux has a chance at the Hall of Fame. Aside from the playoffs his resume is very iffy. He just wasn't a great player in the regular season. And he certainly is not loved by many, likely even the teams and players he won the champions with.

Not only do I personally think Lemieux should not make the HHOf I really think that he has almost no chance with the voters of getting in.

I think Glenn Anderson has a far better chance, as does Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Recchi, Mark Howe even Housley and Turgeon. Propp and Kerr also have a better chance of getting in. There is probably a list of 50 borderline candidates I could list that has a better chance than Lemieux at the HHOF. I don't even see it as a tough choice by the HHOF voters.
Agreed...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
Not a first ballot but going in Hall for sure.
I agree. Hes a 1st ballot in the Hall of Very good no doubt.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19 View Post
Just out of curiosity who would you not vote out of the 5 possible inductees for 2009 (Andreychuk, Hull, Robitaille, Yzerman, and Leetch) since only 4 at the most are allowed in?
Andreychuk would be the one left out, my impression was GBC would not vote for Andreychuk to get in at all period. Andreychuk didn't have the elite-elite seasons but he maintained consistancy.

From 84 to the lockout shortend season of 94/95 he scored 434 goals in 918 games. That's 39 goals per 82 games. The Second half of his career wasn't nearly as impressive as his goals per 82 went to 21.

No 100 point seasons

He had 909 points in those 918 games. He was basically a PPG player for a decade and he had some intangibles that should go in his favor.

I wouldn't vote him in for 2009 but in a year without many legitimate candidates, I would.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:41 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Andreychuk would be the one left out, my impression was GBC would not vote for Andreychuk to get in at all period. Andreychuk didn't have the elite-elite seasons but he maintained consistancy.

From 84 to the lockout shortend season of 94/95 he scored 434 goals in 918 games. That's 39 goals per 82 games. The Second half of his career wasn't nearly as impressive as his goals per 82 went to 21.

No 100 point seasons

He had 909 points in those 918 games. He was basically a PPG player for a decade and he had some intangibles that should go in his favor.

I wouldn't vote him in for 2009 but in a year without many legitimate candidates, I would.
Andreychuk could be the one that is left out, but really any of those 5 players (Hull, Andreychuk, Robitaille, Yzerman, and Leetch) could possibly be the one that is left out in 2009.

SGY19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Andreychuk could be the one that is left out, but really any of those 5 players (Hull, Andreychuk, Robitaille, Yzerman, and Leetch) could possibly be the one that is left out in 2009.
Finally the Yzerman Martyr bit....... I was waiting for it.

Of those 2009 possible candidate chances they get in that year:

Yzerman 100%
Hull 95%
Leetch 60% (if he actually retires)
Robitaille 60%
Andreychuk 15%

Yzerman is an absolute mortal lock to get in 2009 unless he attempts a come back before then.

Old
10-17-2006, 07:26 AM
SGY19

Nieuwendyk's regular season numbers aren't the best, but he has won 3 Stanley Cups, a conn smythe trophy, and a gold medal in the olympics. He could get in on the first ballot, but it will probably take a couple tries for him to get in.

SGY19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:22 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Yzerman and Hull are 100% in on first ballot.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Career achievements:
3 stanley cups
1 conn smythe trophy
won the calder trophy