HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French Hockey night in Canada ELIMINATED

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2006, 09:58 AM
  #26
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Yeah, and be FORCED to watch it in french. Personally I find the French commentators way better then the English one. I Prefer watching it on RDS, so I really don't c your point, honestly TO tookover CBS's broadcast, u still have RDS every night. What's the big deal... Fact is the game isn't ever on in English, but your complaining cuz you'd rather watch it on french CBS then RDS? What sense is there in that?
Exactly.

It's just Kafka and his anti-english crusade once again. Same old from him.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:00 AM
  #27
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ah I didn't know you had to pay for RDS. I've always got it for free so I figured everyone did, since I also get TSN for free.



But you can watch the Habs play on CBC...They were on just last Saturday!



Ok I agree with you there but then what's the justification in the OP's demand that HNIC be abolished all together?
YOU CAN ONLY WATCH THEM ON CBC WHEN THEY PLAY TORONTO, THATS LAME

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:03 AM
  #28
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Exactly.

It's just Kafka and his anti-english crusade once again. Same old from him.
Was just about to say. Cause honestly "equality" is something that Quebec will never achieve. I hope everyone's happy with signs being 60% bigger in french and such, that's completely "equal". Games only being on in French on the French channel which u have to pay more for on ExpressVu just to even see the games. Wanna see saturday night games guys? Either get RDS or you won't get nothing unless habs vs to on a saturday. Only games you'll get this season without either RDS(french) or ExpressVu(Hockey Package (only outside quebec or it's blacked out!! WHICH MAKES NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER) are TO vs Habs on CBS.

Why is it the Team that hasn't won a stanley cup in like 40 years gets the 100% of the anglo broadcast.

As I said above, RDS > CBS for commentary so I prefer it, but fact is that you wanna CRY about equality in Quebec being a French person?

Don't make me laugh.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:04 AM
  #29
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Simple solution: people who want to watch the game in french but don't want to pay for RDS can turn on CBC, put it on mute, and turn on a french radio broadcast.
Simple solution if the games were actually broadcasted genius. Fact is 8 games vs Toronto this year... 8 games on CBC

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:05 AM
  #30
ranold26
Registered Loser
 
ranold26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,804
vCash: 500
To Kafka, you'll get a YES seperation vote by Canadians not in Quebec, before the rest of Canada allows HNIC to be taken off because you don't get HNIC on SRC.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:05 AM
  #31
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
The problem with RDS is that it is *not* available everywhere in Canada where cable is available. I used to live in Sault Sainte Marie, and the SRC broadcasts Saturday night's were the only time I could watch the Habs, outside of a relatively rare TSN appearance or even rarer CBC english appearance. In the Sault, RDS is not available through their only cable company, Shaw Cable.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
  #32
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Simple solution if the games were actually broadcasted genius. Fact is 8 games vs Toronto this year... 8 games on CBC
I was under the impression this discussion had to do with SRC, which only showed games on Saturday night. Am I wrong on that?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:10 AM
  #33
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Fact is, you don't NEED SRC. RDS is in french and shows every single game. It's like some people can't ever stop complaining.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:11 AM
  #34
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
The problem with RDS is that it is *not* available everywhere in Canada where cable is available. I used to live in Sault Sainte Marie, and the SRC broadcasts Saturday night's were the only time I could watch the Habs, outside of a relatively rare TSN appearance or even rarer CBC english appearance. In the Sault, RDS is not available through their only cable company, Shaw Cable.
How about satellite?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:16 AM
  #35
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Watching Habs Games - French/English

Okay. First of all. For the past few years I have been watching habs games on RDS in French(of course). Either be it on Channel 33 (CABLE) or on Channel 123 (ExpressVu). I have yet to see a game in English or a game on SRC(french) in quite a long time now though. I don't mind watching the games in French, but why is it that Bell ExpressVu feels the need to charge Quebecers for the Hockey package but then they black out the Habs games. What kind of Quebecer who orders the hockey package from ExpressVu wouldn't want the habs games? The whole point of it (if your English) would be to avoid ordering the French channels (in order to get RDS), and just order the hockey package (to see all the games). One would think that would be the general idea. So why do they black out the games in English. Someone else in another thread was speaking of "equality" and how SRC should play habs games in French on Saturday. Well at least French watchers have the choice to watch it on RDS, why can't we have the choice of watching it in English?

Second of all, does anybody here actually know a way I can get every habs game in English in Quebec either via Internet or Channel I could order?

It's not that I don't like RDS, but fact is I want to know if there actually is a choice or are we just being forced into watching it on RDS, or If there was and English (or even a french) HD channel I could order.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
  #36
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
How about satellite?
That's what my main question is now. Are there any less mainstream satelite cable etc providers that provide either choice of english/french Habs with or without HDTV.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
  #37
CaptCrunch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Lets see you what you guys say when CTV buys the right for all the canadian teams and puts them on cable.

HNIC is going to be canned anyways. The RDS experiment worked well, there are a ton of people with RDS subscription only to watch Habs games, why would one think the model will never apply to ROC? Because hockey is a tradition in Toronto? And it wasn't in Montreal? Don't make me laugh.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:50 AM
  #38
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 500
There's no way i'm paying for cable only to watch hockey. Actually the only reason I watch TV is for the news. And since I was only able to buy one pair of tickets for the Habs this year (vs 15 last year), that pretty much means no hockey for me except the Leafs on CBC...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:00 AM
  #39
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Fact is, you don't NEED SRC. RDS is in french and shows every single game. It's like some people can't ever stop complaining.
There's still some people I know that doesn't get cable you know...
What pissed me off is that I still pay somewhat for HNIC, Don Cherry and the Maple Leafs...

Why exactly CBC do have the money to outbid TSN but SRC doesn't have it to outbid RDS?

Anyway, Leafs TV probably gonna kill HNIC after a while..

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
  #40
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Thanks for your support guys, I see that most if not all of you understand there is something not right there. I will come back with an e-mail adress... I wrote a few months ago to Liza Frulla-Hebert and she replied me I needed to write to an other place. If no one ask, we won't get anything. And Anglos would be winners too here: they would be allowed to watch the Habs and not the Leafs each saturday night.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
  #41
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Thanks for your support guys, I see that most if not all of you understand there is something not right there. I will come back with an e-mail adress... I wrote a few months ago to Liza Frulla-Hebert and she replied me I needed to write to an other place. If no one ask, we won't get anything. And Anglos would be winners too here: they would be allowed to watch the Habs and not the Leafs each saturday night.
In French though. Which is what we do already. How are we winners here in any way?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
  #42
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
The CBC and SRC....

Ok... here we go.. the Canadian Broadcasting Company/Societe Radio Canada. I have had a HUGE beef with them for a long time.

Here is one aspect of my beef.

These are publicly funded broadcasting companies. 30 years ago, there was a need for a broadcaster to broadcast PROFESSIONAL hockey games. The need- there were no private networks capable of televising PROFESSIONAL hockey from coast to coast.

Now there is. TSN, RDS, RIS, The Score, Sportsnet, and even CTV.

So, why are we spending public money (your tax dollars) to televise Pro hockey. I am all for them broadcasting Olympic/International hockey games, but Pro CLUB games.... it just doesn't make sense for a publicly funded network.

The fact that TSN (or one of the others) does not have multiple feeds that a cable subscriber can choose from is beyond me. The infrastructure is there.... just do it!

But... I do not believe that all Canadians should be paying so that the Leafs or the Habs get their games televised... and get paid for it. What about the other teams?

Freaking bogus.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
  #43
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Thanks for your support guys, I see that most if not all of you understand there is something not right there. I will come back with an e-mail adress... I wrote a few months ago to Liza Frulla-Hebert and she replied me I needed to write to an other place. If no one ask, we won't get anything. And Anglos would be winners too here: they would be allowed to watch the Habs and not the Leafs each saturday night.
So again I ask; what's your goal?

-Force RDS to give up Saturday nights?
-Force SRC to simulcast RDS on Saturday nights?
-Nationalise RDS?
-One of the above and free TVs for all?

Look, if Habs fans want to watch the Habs, they need RDS. That's because the Habs sold the rights to RDS, not to SRC. There are multitudes of ways to get RDS no matter where you live (satellite being available to everyone in the country); I don't understand why it matters that some people are unable or unwilling to pay for it.

Watching hockey, last I checked, is not a constitutional right.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
  #44
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 11,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I don't understand why it matters that some people are unable or unwilling to pay for it.
Well, for one many apartment buildings forbid installation of satellite dishes. Yes, there is a mention of this in your rental lease, and consequences will follow if you choose to ignore this restriction. The reason I say this is because I was exactly one of those who wasn't allowed to have a satellite for several years. Eventually I had to move out of a perfectly fine apartment building just to have a chance of watching Habs play. Extreme? Perhaps, as I was told by most of my friends at the time. But definitely the only option available to me back then. If someone else is stuck in the same position currently, just know that I really feel your pain.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
  #45
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,760
vCash: 500
You could go to le Cage and watch the games there too...Or any bar for that matter.

Look, what would you tell me if I was a Vancouver fan living in Quebec City and I was complaining that I couldn't watch my Vancouver games? Like the guy above says...It's not your right to watch hockey

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
  #46
PERPETUALSMILEZ
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
Boy oh boy am I ever glad I got a digital box this year, I would be soooo pissed off being a BC resident not being able to watch the habs play. This is still outrageous though that's absolute crap, the fact that I need to get a digital box to watch my favourite hockey team play is a little absurd, even more absurd that it's a canadian team. I would understand a little more if it where an american team, but that's bs that you need to spend the extra money to get RDS and now the option of watching it once a week is now cut...that is quite outrageous.
I live in Vancouver and I personally went and bought a digital cable box just so I could get RDS so I wouldn't miss a habs game...so I know what your sayin, but must say the money is worth it for RDS...I find it much more entertaining, the announcers are hilarious. And even tho I'm not a Canucks fan I think it's absurd that they show half the games on Pay-Per-View. However on reg cable get all the damn American football games but can't get the canadian hockey games????

I think we should all band together and protest this

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
  #47
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
There's no way i'm paying for cable only to watch hockey. Actually the only reason I watch TV is for the news. And since I was only able to buy one pair of tickets for the Habs this year (vs 15 last year), that pretty much means no hockey for me except the Leafs on CBC...
Goes a long way to explaining your puzzling opinions on the Habs.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
  #48
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,083
vCash: 500
Well being someone who only gets basic cable this will suck for me. My only chance to watch the habs was on Saturday nights. Guess I'll just have to settle for the few nights we play the Leafs...

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
  #49
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Exactly.

It's just Kafka and his anti-english crusade once again. Same old from him.
blablabla... if only I was anti-english.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:41 PM
  #50
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Take it up with the Canadiens/NHL they own and sell the broadcast rights.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.