HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French Hockey night in Canada ELIMINATED

Old
10-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
So again I ask; what's your goal?

-Force RDS to give up Saturday nights?
-Force SRC to simulcast RDS on Saturday nights?
-Nationalise RDS?
-One of the above and free TVs for all?

Look, if Habs fans want to watch the Habs, they need RDS. That's because the Habs sold the rights to RDS, not to SRC. There are multitudes of ways to get RDS no matter where you live (satellite being available to everyone in the country); I don't understand why it matters that some people are unable or unwilling to pay for it.

Watching hockey, last I checked, is not a constitutional right.
Each canadian pays taxes for SRC and CBC. Therefore, we could expect the same services. I expect SRC to present the games each Saturday. I don't want CBC to stop because CBC would therefore because totally useless for Canadians. If at least we could watch the MTL games here in MTL instead of the Tor games... I am sure Ottawa fans think the same. It should be something like 33-33-33 for Tor-Ott-Mtl....... not 100% tor with 6 games Tor-Mtl. As mentioned, it's not an anti-english thing, its a pro french (and Habs) thing. As you will read here, there are even a lot of englos that were watching it on SRC each satruday night. I was in Edmunston this week-end and was surprised I could only see the game at CBC... and I read the confirmation of my toughts this morning. Please leave your hates aside and help every canadian citizen to be equal in front of their tv .

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Each canadian pays taxes for SRC and CBC. Therefore, we could expect the same services. I expect SRC to present the games each Saturday. I don't want CBC to stop because CBC would therefore because totally useless for Canadians. If at least we could watch the MTL games here in MTL instead of the Tor games... I am sure Ottawa fans think the same. It should be something like 33-33-33 for Tor-Ott-Mtl....... not 100% tor with 6 games Tor-Mtl. As mentioned, it's not an anti-english thing, its a pro french (and Habs) thing. As you will read here, there are even a lot of englos that were watching it on SRC each satruday night. I was in Edmunston this week-end and was surprised I could only see the game at CBC... and I read the confirmation of my toughts this morning. Please leave your hates aside and help every canadian citizen to be equal in front of their tv .
So what about Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver fans?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
So what about Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver fans?
It is clear that those aren't considered Canadians by Kafka.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Well, for one many apartment buildings forbid installation of satellite dishes. Yes, there is a mention of this in your rental lease, and consequences will follow if you choose to ignore this restriction. The reason I say this is because I was exactly one of those who wasn't allowed to have a satellite for several years. Eventually I had to move out of a perfectly fine apartment building just to have a chance of watching Habs play. Extreme? Perhaps, as I was told by most of my friends at the time. But definitely the only option available to me back then. If someone else is stuck in the same position currently, just know that I really feel your pain.
I'm with you man. Fact is if you like the habs so much and they dont have it on SRC anymore, get off of your cheap ***** and get cable or find a way. (not you saying this to P1x44r, but to the thread starter).

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone know if Centre Ice picks up the RDS feed, or the english opposing feed? I live in Ontario, so the games aren't blacked out. I'm just wondering.. the first game that I would use Centre Ice for will be Saturday.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Does anyone know if Centre Ice picks up the RDS feed, or the english opposing feed? I live in Ontario, so the games aren't blacked out. I'm just wondering.. the first game that I would use Centre Ice for will be Saturday.
I've had Center Ice for two years now and I have seen them pick RDS feed only once so far. I think this is done only when there is no alternate English feed available. So, the vast majority of time it's in English.

Old
10-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Mike8

BTW, for people unable to get satellite and don't live in an area they can get RDS: you can actually download Hab games online.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
I couldn't watch the game saturday. I live in Ottawa and the CBC was showing the Ottawa game, and SRC was showing ****.

I was really pissed off...

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:02 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I've had Center Ice for two years now and I have seen them pick RDS feed only once so far. I think this is done only when there is no alternate English feed available. So, the vast majority of time it's in English.
Thanks. I'm kind of neutral about it, because MSG and FSN coverage is pretty awful most of the time, but I can't really understand what they say in French. However, Canadian feeds are usually much, much clearer, brighter, and easier to follow the puck. Maybe American rinks are dark, but I was watching the Nashville-Chicago game and could barely see the corners!

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Squeaky

Unless the SRC is just showing static, this argument doesn't hold any water. Look, English-speaking Canadians get HNIC, French-speaking Canadians get something else on SRC instead. Whatever the SRC is showing instead we don't get on the CBC, do we? So it's unfair to both sides, because (gasp) networks that run in different languages have different programming.

The only way you can make an argument based on inequality here is if you make the generalization that everyone in the country shares your specific values, which appear to assert that Hockey is better than whatever has replaced hockey. Someone in English Canada who doesn't like hockey could use a simillar argument to the one found in this thread, complaining that it isn't fair that SRC shows movies or something every Saturday, but the CBC only gives them crummy old hockey.

Further to the point, while the CBC/SRC is a public institution, it plays in what is very much a private market. That's a core part of the capitalist society that we enjoy in Canada, and the way the market has worked out RDS has the rights for the habs, and SRC doesn't. Could be that it's worth it for a private station like RDS to pony up for every habs game, because of the large market in Quebec. Could be that the SRC has different priorities. I don't know how the different networks have set their priorities, but that's really not the point. The point is that it's a private industry, so the networks are allowed to set their own priorities.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles...e-hockey.shtml

Not only now can't we see hockey on french tv each Saturday night in Quebec, but it is now extended to all Canada. The main problem here is that francophones watch SRC (french cbc) even if it is not presenting hockey while no one watches CBC regularly... therefore, by presenting for 3 hours a RDS show, la SRC loses advertisement money to RDS.

I will find what e-mail address we should write too to ask for one of these:
1. Either CBC removes Hockey night in Canada from it schedule
2. Either SRC brings back hockey on TV each saturday night

In a Country were citizen are said to be equal, they have to be equal.

This is not about paying or not for a product, it's about equality. If Leaf fans, Flames, Oilers and Canucks fans can watch their own team on TV every saturday night, if should be the same for the Senators and le Canadien.
SRC doesn't receive proper subventions. No wonder they don't have the money... I blame Harper and the Conservators who are trying to push Canada to the right spectrum. I'm joking, btw, about Harper, but the SRC, since 20 years, is falling appart because it doesn't receive enough money, because the government doesn't think that public television is something important enough.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
What you don't understand is that Canada is not really a bilingual country. Officially, we are, but in fact, the vast majority of our population is not bilingual. I'm not talking about souveringnity here, I'm just saying that in a country where 75 - 80% of the population is anglophone, it's logical to see the english public TV get more money, enough money to buy hockey games on saturday.

Old
10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Unless the SRC is just showing static, this argument doesn't hold any water. Look, English-speaking Canadians get HNIC, French-speaking Canadians get something else on SRC instead. Whatever the SRC is showing instead we don't get on the CBC, do we? So it's unfair to both sides, because (gasp) networks that run in different languages have different programming.

The only way you can make an argument based on inequality here is if you make the generalization that everyone in the country shares your specific values, which appear to assert that Hockey is better than whatever has replaced hockey. Someone in English Canada who doesn't like hockey could use a simillar argument to the one found in this thread, complaining that it isn't fair that SRC shows movies or something every Saturday, but the CBC only gives them crummy old hockey.

Further to the point, while the CBC/SRC is a public institution, it plays in what is very much a private market. That's a core part of the capitalist society that we enjoy in Canada, and the way the market has worked out RDS has the rights for the habs, and SRC doesn't. Could be that it's worth it for a private station like RDS to pony up for every habs game, because of the large market in Quebec. Could be that the SRC has different priorities. I don't know how the different networks have set their priorities, but that's really not the point. The point is that it's a private industry, so the networks are allowed to set their own priorities.
It doesn'y have anything to do with network priorities and policies. The SRC would show hockey on Saturday night if they had the money to buy the game, they just don't have that kind of money. The SRC is like the Nordiques or the Jets, it moved on...

Old
10-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
Well being someone who only gets basic cable this will suck for me. My only chance to watch the habs was on Saturday nights. Guess I'll just have to settle for the few nights we play the Leafs...
What kills me is that people who complain about having to watch CBC to watch the Habs can't even be bothered to look at the schedule.

17 times, 7 against the Leafs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/tvschedule.html

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It doesn'y have anything to do with network priorities and policies. The SRC would show hockey on Saturday night if they had the money to buy the game, they just don't have that kind of money. The SRC is like the Nordiques or the Jets, it moved on...
This doesn't make any sense. Hockey Night in Canada makes money for CBC via commercial sales; I'd venture a guess that it's their only true money-making show outside a few of their comedy series.

Habs hockey is probably making money for RDS.

Why couldn't SRC bid properly for something that would make them money? Then again, it's probably due to the fact RDS offered more because they offered to buy all 82 games, which the English side (CBC) didn't have to fight against... but they will, in two years, when Bell Globemedia (CTV/TSN/RDS) will make the same sort of offer of buying way more games than CBC could ever put on (unless they started showing hockey 3-4 times a week), so CBC will also lose hockey.

And then Kafka will be happy, or upset.. not too sure yet.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Goes a long way to explaining your puzzling opinions on the Habs.
Ribeiro: 1 point / 1 game
Plekanec: 0 point / 2 games

I win

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
This doesn't make any sense. Hockey Night in Canada makes money for CBC via commercial sales; I'd venture a guess that it's their only true money-making show outside a few of their comedy series.

Habs hockey is probably making money for RDS.

Why couldn't SRC bid properly for something that would make them money? Then again, it's probably due to the fact RDS offered more because they offered to buy all 82 games, which the English side (CBC) didn't have to fight against... but they will, in two years, when Bell Globemedia (CTV/TSN/RDS) will make the same sort of offer of buying way more games than CBC could ever put on (unless they started showing hockey 3-4 times a week), so CBC will also lose hockey.

And then Kafka will be happy, or upset.. not too sure yet.
Yes, you got it, RDS beat SRC in the bidding war. I didn't think about the exact same thing happenning on english-canadian TV, and it's frightening. Are we really privatising all our medias? And what will be privatized next? Our Health Care system? I'm really worried about Canada taking a turn to the right side of politics. It's bad.

Old
10-10-2006, 01:49 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Yes, you got it, RDS beat SRC in the bidding war. I didn't think about the exact same thing happenning on english-canadian TV, and it's frightening. Are we really privatising all our medias? And what will be privatized next? Our Health Care system? I'm really worried about Canada taking a turn to the right side of politics. It's bad.
Nothing to be worried about. Versus carries very solid coverage on NHL games in the US, perhaps better when indirectly(due to different markets) compared to the CBC one. Quite frankly, I don't see anything bad to come out of it, to me anything is better than lousy coverage CBC has been feeding us for years. It seems they are improving, but it might be(and I hope it is) too late for them to make any difference at this point. I'm all for CTV/TSN taking over if 2008 if such happens.

P.S. And, Montrealer, it's great to be reading someone who has done their homework. Wanted to add that yes, indeed, CBC has been making most of their money via HNIC.

Old
10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
tinyzombies

You can always pay up for cable, but then boycott every product you see advertised on TV...lol

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
RC51

Now that the CBC has given up HNIC in french, RDS has now effectivly been handed the Habs monopoly.

Forget about 2007, the Habs should force RDS to move up thier plans. Go buy the camers and convert your equipment and lets get on with it. We could have the Habs by christmas in HD.

COME ON RDS, cut the cheques and lets GO

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:33 PM
guapo23

It sucks that hockey can only be seen on PAY TV in quebec.
I believe the CBC (french & english) should have fought harder to broadcast more games.

I remember when you could watch games on ctv, cbc, tqs, channel 7 etc..

I finally got cable this fall so i can watch hockey.

Now I am angry that Sportsnet blacks out the games in other time zones.
What's the point of having these regional sports channels if they black out the games ?

I don't watch baseball, basketball or football.
I got Sportsnet to watch more hockey games in the Western Conference...

Why do they black them out ?
It's not like they will be re-broadcast on my local sportsnet channel.
Does anybody know why they do this ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:38 PM
guapo23

BTW : another reason french CBC doesn't show hockey games might have to do with the union trouble & the strike a few years ago ?

Do you remember when the games were shown without play by play & color commentator ?
The workers were all striking.

Maybe that strike combined with RDS outbidding them led to the demise of french hockey broadcasts ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:17 PM
CaptCrunch

Errr...

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/08...key-globe.html

Quote:
The parent company for CTV and TSN is hoping a $1.4-billion bid will give them exclusive television rights to National Hockey League games in Canada, according to a story in the Globe and Mail.

Bell Globemedia is reportedly considering paying the league $140 million a year for 10 years for the deal in an attempt to outbid the CBC, which has been broadcasting Hockey Night in Canada since 1952.
So... there we are. Globemedia will do the same thing with the rest of Canada. Repeat after me: 1.4 Billion.

Now lets see how the ROC will react.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

First - I'm a Winnipegger, and grew up watching Soiree de Hockey every Saturday. I've hated the Leafs my whole life and would NOT watch them in any language on CBC.

I do think it's a crime that SRC is not showing hockey. Some of the best broadcasts were in the strike when there was no comments, no commericals, just hockey. It's plain wrong that SRC has dropped the ball.

But for those complaining that SRC should be better funded, then YOU open YOUR wallets and pay the broadcasters and fees associated with hockey. I've been paying for the stinkin' Leafs for all these years, and even if I hate them, I'm not gonna whine about it.

For fans in Quebec: If you can afford to pay for Internet, then GET CABLE and watch RDS. That's what I have to do -- and that's real "equality".

I lived 4 years in Montreal and got RDS with basic cable. It's cheap. Again, if you can't afford it, where are your priorities ?? Cancel your Internet, and GET CABLE you fools!

Now I'm sadly back in Winnipeg, I pay extra $$$$ for RDS, still hate Leafs Night In Canada, but watch all the hockey I can handle. My French is way better for it and Houde/Pednault are light years better than Cole/Neale. Even my friends who DON'T speak French now prefer watching RDS.

I never even would've KNOWN about RDS if I hadn't lived in Montreal.

I will miss Soiree de Hockey, but now I get EVERY GAME. In the end, we're way better off. For those who consider free television their "right", quit dreaming about living in the 1960's and deal with '06.

btw for Sportnet viewers they block Ottawa but give us Edm/Cal.

"Et on ira pas plus loin..."

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
fredez

Like good old Confucius once said : "If you can't watch Habs games, you ain't trying hard enough"

RDS, Cage aux sports, Internet, friend's house, live...

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote