HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/10/06 Montreal @ Philadelphia 7:30PM EST RDS,TSN

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I was at the game tonight, and talked to a guy and a girl from a group who are Habs fans (probably around my age) from Montreal (could have been somewhere else in Quebec) who said they were travelling around the league. They were nice people, even though we lost, there was still people telling them to go back to Canada, but they took it in good stride, I just wanted to make sure they knew all of us in Philly aren't like that
I dont believe you!

Old
10-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Slick Nick

I liked Latendresse tonight!! Very nice game for the kid, good energy, a few nice passes.. thought he had at least 2 hitsd, but seems only one was registrated.

Downey looked a lot better than Murray, imo.

Old
10-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
As attrocious as he was (29% on the night) he was 50% against Bonk. Anyway, why'd you bring up Forsberg faceoff %? I was talking about Forsberg not being 100% game-wize and healthwize, he mentionned it prior to the game. He might not have been as easy to defend against if he was.
His--and Carter's--poor faceoff percentages ruined the Flyers' power plays, including the 5-on-3. Koivu and Plekanec mopped them up. Incidentally, I thought Koivu deserved a star.

Old
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I thought Koivu deserved a star.
True

Old
10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
wildone26*

Aebischer is finaly doing what I predicted him to do since coming to Montreal, take over the starting job. I look forward to seeing how he does in the first home start of the year. GO ABBY!

Old
10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Slick Nick

Can someone explain to me what is considered a hit? NHL.com has 0 hits for Downey?

Old
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Downey looked a lot better than Murray, imo.
In my opinion too.

Old
10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Nobak

Latendresse really makes me afraid in his own zone. He seems to position himself where another player (often a defenceman) should be, which probably screws up said other player.

He doesn't seem to know the meaning of losing the puck along the boards, though. Quite effective in the offensive zone with that.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Dr_Hook

I'm surprised not too read more props towards Komisarek's overall solid play ! He's always run around trying to hit people but these first 3 games, he does it with more of a purpose, and seems smarter. He really has been a rock outthere !!

Rarely if ever out of position, he stays near the net, plays the man and it stops right there. I don't know if it's those those yoga classes paying dividends but he seems calmer and takes better decisions; he even jumped into offense at some opportune times (does't have the sweetest hands, but give him an A for effort )

I am really thrilled with Komisarek. Him and Higgins will be the cornerstones of our franchise for years, and I'm dam happy about it

Can you already smell it ??

Old
10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1241
Downey played better this game than Murray has in his first two games. imo

Old
10-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I'm surprised not too read more props towards Komisarek's overall solid play ! He's always run around trying to hit people but these first 3 games, he does it with more of a purpose, and seems smarter. He really has been a rock outthere !!

Rarely if ever out of position, he stays near the net, plays the man and it stops right there. I don't know if it's those those yoga classes paying dividends but he seems calmer and takes better decisions; he even jumped into offense at some opportune times (does't have the sweetest hands, but give him an A for effort )

I am really thrilled with Komisarek. Him and Higgins will be the cornerstones of our franchise for years, and I'm dam happy about it

Can you already smell it ??
agreed, Komisarek played a good game. The "kid" really looks lke he's going to be a factor this season. Wasn't a big fan of him, probably because I expected too much, but I definitly think he's been one of our best D so far.

My only concerns about our D is Niinimaa.. I'd like to see Streit a few games.. He's faster than Niinimaa, and seriously.. Niinimaa just sucks on the PP. Streit looked so good on PP in pre-season, it's a shame to see Niinimaa with soft wristers without any traffic in front of the net. I don't think Niinimaa is a bad player, but so far he hasen't played better than Streit.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Teufelsdreck

To me, this game, coming after the roadgames in Buffalo and Toronto, confirms that the Habs have four functional lines, that the first line is now among the better ones in the league (not because of the total scoring points they amass but because of how they play against other teams' top lines), that Koivu is a true #1 center, that Higgins and Ryder are elite players, that picking up Johnson was an astute move, that the Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line will outlast their "trial" period, that Komisarek and Perezhogin are living up to their first round selection, that life goes on after Théodore, and that the Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade is paying dividends. Morale and team unity seem to be very good after the departure of the Three Amigos. The only dark cloud is the looming free agency of four Dmen. Murray's play has been disappointing, but he's a minor cog in the machine. There are better candidates down on the farm.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:33 AM
madbox

Anyone else feel the shifts get too long? Haven't seen any numbers (aha, nor looked!), just seems like it.

Anyways, solid game. Especially from Komi, Aebi, Koivu's line, Bonk's line- k, all of 'em, really. Playing better with the lead though would make things a little less stressful. PENALTIES! Holy.

Can't wait to play at home.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
agreed, Komisarek played a good game. The "kid" really looks lke he's going to be a factor this season. Wasn't a big fan of him, probably because I expected too much, but I definitly think he's been one of our best D so far.

My only concerns about our D is Niinimaa.. I'd like to see Streit a few games.. He's faster than Niinimaa, and seriously.. Niinimaa just sucks on the PP. Streit looked so good on PP in pre-season, it's a shame to see Niinimaa with soft wristers without any traffic in front of the net. I don't think Niinimaa is a bad player, but so far he hasen't played better than Streit.
You either some deep rooted hatred for Niinimaa or some deep rooted love on for Streit. Aside from two terrible giveaways versus Buffalo, he has been solid. He has been more physical than Souray and Rivet, and isn't getting beat wide like they are.Soft wristers with no traffic is the forwards fault. I don't see you complaining about Souray shooting with no traffic cause guess what a 100mph shot still won't go in with no traffic.

Mark freaking Streit can't hit, can't pass, and has a good shot that misses the net all the time. Any time pressured, he can't make an outlet. He is continually buried by opposing for checkers. When beaten wide he doesn't have the strength to fend off forwards. He is useless on this team and when Bouillon is back, he is likely in the minors where he belongs.

Old
10-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Just finished watching the game at this late hour.

Here are my thoughts:

- Textbook road game by the habs. Everybody was really buying into the team concept and it showed. When guys like kovalev and samsonov are hustling their *** of to make a huge plays on the backcheck, you know everybody is buying in.

- Aebischer was excellent again. Just like the leaf game, this game could have easily gone the other way tonight as well but Abby outdualed Nittimaki who was pretty good himself. I'm glad Carbo played him tonight and there should be no reason not to start him on Saturday night. He's earned to start for another day and I hope Carbo does not take that away from him.

- It will be interesting to see if downey stays in the lineup. I thought he was pretty effective in his role tonight. Good to see some healthy competition for 4th line positions as well.

Overall, I dont think the habs have played up to their potential but this is often the case for any team on the road. I'll take 5 out of 6 road points.

Lets see how this team plays on home ice. I'm very excited for saturday. Its always more fun to watch this team play at the bell centre

Old
10-12-2006, 03:18 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I like how Gainey is shaping this team, with incremental changes that taken together amount to a lot. It looks like Niniima is playing up to his potential. I hope that Pleks is equal to the task of being 2nd line center, but by the sounds of it, Johnson can fill in if needed. Not too many superstars, but a so far a well managed, well coached team that is deep in talent, in the mold of Buffalo.

Old
10-12-2006, 03:52 AM
jordi

I know I'm biased but I reckon the 2nd line isn't as bad as people say. I mean it's way too early to start quoting numbers from this season, so what's all the fuss about points? The whole Ribs trade pretty much means that they'll have to work out a whole new gameplan and I'm impressed with what I saw from them in terms that I had slightly lower expectations from what everyone kept saying about them. Samsonov hustles a lot, he tries damn hard. And I think he deserves a lot of credit for that, especially when this game actually helped impress a couple of people from it.

And seriously, our record is actually looking pretty good, compared to... the Canes.

Old
10-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Habs win 3-1

good call

Old
10-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
For those who haven't seen the stat, Radek Bonk led all Montreal Canadiens forwards in total ice time last night with 18:20. Mike Johnson was second with 17:59. By comparison, Saku Koivu played 15:50 and Alex Kovalev played 14:49.

Obviously a big part of that has to do with the Habs killing 8 penalties vs. having only 4 powerplays, but I definitely wanted to post some support for that duo. Go Bonk and Johnson!

Latendresse did look a little better today. His skating looked better than it did in the first 2 games anyway. But I still didn't like the fourth line as a unit. Begin and Downey played pretty well, but the trio still has a tendency to get stuck in their own zone.

Our defense looked pretty good tonight. The Komisarek/Markov pairing is awesome, and Dandenault/Niinimaa played well as well. Souray/Rivet still seem to need some time to get into season form, but I'm not that worried about them.

Overall a pretty solid game from the boys. Now it's back home!

Old
10-12-2006, 07:36 AM
AD

Quote:
Forsberg played 10 ES minutes. A few of those against Koivu's line. Bonk could've easily been matched against that line on the 4th.

Bonk cannot neutralize Forsberg is he's playing with Downey and Latendresse. Its a 3 man unit.

Old
10-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Obviously a big part of that has to do with the Habs killing 8 penalties vs. having only 4 powerplays, but I definitely wanted to post some support for that duo. Go Bonk and Johnson!
I thought Bonk was our best player last night...one of the best games he's played as a Hab IMO. And Johnson is just such a solid player. How Gainey was able to get him so cheap from Phoenix I don't know, but I'm happy he did. That line, along with Perez, was awesome last night and they created a few chances for themselves.

After a slow start to the season, Markov seems to have turned it around. He was very solid last night.

What can you say about Komisarek...wow. He has been just amazing so far this year. I think we can start putting to rest the questions of why he was taken so high in the draft. Sure it took him a little while to get this point but it was worth the wait. He's just a monster at 6'4 240 and will only get better.

Old
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
As attrocious as he was (29% on the night) he was 50% against Bonk. Anyway, why'd you bring up Forsberg faceoff %? I was talking about Forsberg not being 100% game-wize and healthwize, he mentionned it prior to the game. He might not have been as easy to defend against if he was.
Bonk actually wasn't that bad tonight. Or maybe it was the Flyers playing like crap, but there was at least 2 instances where then Flyers generated some mommentum and Bonk made some excellent plays to keep the puck away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I dont believe you!

Go find them and ask them.

They even said they think we have a better team, I said I wouldn't know that watching this game

Old
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
DicAnns

interesting facts:

1) Markov leads the team for shots on goal (10)
2) Dandy leads the team for blocked shots (8)
3) Niinimaa leads the team for equal strength time on ice (15:29/g)
4) Saku is 3rd in the league for FO% (63.3%), amongst those who have taken at least 40 FO
5) Habs are 3rd best in the league for FO%
6) Habs have 5 players averaging 1 p/g (higgy, saku, ryder, kovy, markov)
7) Habs have 2 players on pace for 50g-50a-100p seasons (higgins, koivu)
8) Tender's name is spelled "Latendress" in nhl.com's stats

Old
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73 View Post
Maybe they ran out of room... or they know something about Lats personal life we don't

Old
10-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73 View Post
interesting facts:

1) Markov leads the team for shots on goal (10)
2) Dandy leads the team for blocked shots (8)
3) Niinimaa leads the team for equal strength time on ice (15:29/g)
4) Saku is 3rd in the league for FO% (63.3%), amongst those who have taken at least 40 FO
5) Habs are 3rd best in the league for FO%
6) Habs have 5 players averaging 1 p/g (higgy, saku, ryder, kovy, markov)
7) Habs have 2 players on pace for 50g-50a-100p seasons (higgins, koivu)
Good for Markov, last year although he was great...one gripe I had with him is that he didn't shoot enough. He scored 10 gloals last year on something like 80 shots, it's not enough, he's got a good shout he should use it more.

Dandenault at 1.7 mil is looking like a bargain right now, far cry from at this time last year where alot of Habs fans were wondering what BG was thinking going after him.

I personally haven't seen Koivu play with as much spunk in a long time. He looks stronger and faster. If he stays healthy I definately see a career year for him.

Closed Thread