HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barker = Bust ???

Old
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Barker = Bust ???

Do you guy's think that you wasted your 3rd overall pick in 2004 on Barker, or Hawks fans are just verry patient ???

Seems to me that Barker is always injured

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Isn't Barker 20 YO? How many defenseman from his draft class are contributing at the NHL level right now? Awnser - 1 guys, and that's Meszaros. In fact, only 3 guys from his draft class have played in more than 30 NHL games. Bottom line - it's WAY, WAY too early to call Barker a bust.

I do agree that the injuries are worrisome. He seems to have an issue with staying healthy, but hopefully it isn't something that will follow him throughout his career. I think he's do back very shortly, and we'll see what happens than.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Teemu

HF sure doesn't think so

http://hockeysfuture.com/top50.php

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Barker isnt a bust, he will end up being a number 3 d man.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Isn't Barker 20 YO? How many defenseman from his draft class are contributing at the NHL level right now? Awnser - 1 guys, and that's Meszaros. In fact, only 3 guys from his draft class have played in more than 30 NHL games. Bottom line - it's WAY, WAY too early to call Barker a bust.

I do agree that the injuries are worrisome. He seems to have an issue with staying healthy, but hopefully it isn't something that will follow him throughout his career. I think he's do back very shortly, and we'll see what happens than.
It seems that the Hawks in general have an issue with staying healthy, and it probably has something (entirely) to do with the conditioning.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
CrossCheck

For a 3rd overall pick, Barker IS a bust

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Wally112pac

Barker was drafted 2 years ago.

Anyone calling him a bust needs to have their head examined.

Last time i checked defenseman don't develop over night.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Chris Campoli too...

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac View Post
Barker was drafted 2 years ago.

Anyone calling him a bust needs to have their head examined.

Last time i checked defenseman don't develop over night.
Agree completely. The concensious opinion is that D men take the longest to develop, partly due to the fact they require the most size and strength, so men tend to be more successful than boys in that regard.

Waaaaay too early to tell, unless he is ultimately unable to progress to the NHL due to injury.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
For a 3rd overall pick, Barker IS a bust
A little soon to say that don't you think?

I remember people speculating Bouwmeester was going to be a bust for a 3rd overall pick. It took him a couple modest seasons before he broke out last year and that talked has certainly faded away.

Barker hasn't played one full season yet and already you think he is a busted high pick. Pretty short-sighted.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 06:29 PM
hckyfan0099

At least let the poor guy play more than one game. This will be his first NHL season and in 4 or so years we will find out if this guy is a bust.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Barker isnt a bust, he will end up being a number 3 d man.

For me, a number 3 d-man picked 3rd overall = MAJOR BUST !!!!!!!!

but that's only me

Old
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm not saying that Barker sucks, I'm just saying that if I was a Hawks fan, I would be worried about the constent injuries Cam is having year, after year, after.... In the WJC last year, I expected him to be a MAJOR force on the blueline for team Canada but he got outplayed by guys like Bourdon, M. Stall and even Ryan Parent.

Old
10-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I'm not saying that Barker sucks, I'm just saying that if I was a Hawks fan, I would be worried about the constent injuries Cam is having year, after year, after.... In the WJC last year, I expected him to be a MAJOR force on the blueline for team Canada but he got outplayed by guys like Bourdon, M. Stall and even Ryan Parent.
He wasn't injured. He had mono.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Wally112pac

Quote:
In the WJC last year, I expected him to be a MAJOR force on the blueline for team Canada but he got outplayed by guys like Bourdon, M. Stall and even Ryan Parent.
Haha.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Hawkhead

umm Barker was the second best d-man on the Canada's WJC team and just had an outstanding rookie camp. He made the NHL as a 19 year old, played one game ang is now a bust?

If it wasnt for his injury he would be on the PP he really impressed in last season's pre-season too.

I really cant believe you call him a bust and that just shows ur lack of hockey knowledge. I would think that Barker will develop into a top 1-2 d-man and pP QB

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
salty justice

Quote:
I would be worried about the constent injuries Cam is having year, after year, after.... In the WJC last year, I expected him to be a MAJOR force on the blueline for team Canada but he got outplayed by guys like Bourdon, M. Stall and even Ryan Parent.

He had mono. That isnt even an "injury" so how does that make him injury prone?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Pete Rock

What an awful thread.

Jack Johnson is a bust too because he's already been traded before playing a professional game.

Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:27 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I think you Hawks fan's have a hard time reading !!!!!!!!

Like I said before, I think that Barker is a good player but is verry injury prone. He had Mono a couple of years back (not his fault), a broken leg last year wich he played only 26 games at the Hat and this year he has a fractured ankle. The only thing i'm trying to say, is that for a 3rd overall pick, I would be WORRIED if I was a Hawks fan .

Hey, but if you guys are happy with him being on the DL all the time, that just meens that you guys have a better chance of landing the #1 pick for this years draft, so I see your point.

Old
10-12-2006, 06:29 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
He had mono. That isnt even an "injury" so how does that make him injury prone?
If you look at his background you'll see that he never played a full season in the juniors.

Old
10-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Zim

He broke his leg, it's not as if he keeps tearing ligaments in his knees/ankles that become much weaker with each injury. Breaking things is unfortunate it doesn't mean you're injury prone it just means you're unlucky.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
faucette78

Quote:
Did you even watch the games? He was not on for an even strenght goal all tournament if i remember correctly. He played well in the offensive zone the entire tournament.

I think some people underrate him because he is not overly physical. When I watch him (and I have seen him quite a bit) I see him as a Lidstrom type player. Very consistent and underrated in the defensive zone and has a good offensive instincts. I am not saying he will dominate like lidstrom but that is who he reminds me of

faucette78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:31 PM
mintsauce

Send a message via MSN to mintsauce
Quote:
I think you Hawks fan's have a hard time reading !!!!!!!!

Like I said before, I think that Barker is a good player but is verry injury prone. He had Mono a couple of years back (not his fault), a broken leg last year wich he played only 26 games at the Hat and this year he has a fractured ankle. The only thing i'm trying to say, is that for a 3rd overall pick, I would be WORRIED if I was a Hawks fan .

Hey, but if you guys are happy with him being on the DL all the time, that just meens that you guys have a better chance of landing the #1 pick for this years draft, so I see your point.

Personally, i'd give it a rest at this point. Barker will be fine, Hawks fans aren't worried, and you clearly have some misconceptions about player development.

mintsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:45 PM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucette78 View Post
Did you even watch the games? He was not on for an even strenght goal all tournament if i remember correctly. He played well in the offensive zone the entire tournament.

I think some people underrate him because he is not overly physical. When I watch him (and I have seen him quite a bit) I see him as a Lidstrom type player. Very consistent and underrated in the defensive zone and has a good offensive instincts. I am not saying he will dominate like lidstrom but that is who he reminds me of
Personally I thought he was Canada's best defencemen in the WJC tournament when all things are considered. He was a +6 or +7 and contributed offensively during the power play. Barker has a quick snap shot from the point that is better than most guys slap shot. Barker doesn't have to be too flashy to get the job done like some guys and for that reason he doesn't seem to get the same amount of press. Bottom line he will be a good D-man in the NHL. I am not worried at all. The Devils can only hope to find a young D-man like Barker.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nags View Post
I am not worried at all. The Devils can only hope to find a young D-man like Barker.
The thing is, is that the Devils can't pick 3rd overall every year like Chicago because they actually make the playoffs