HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchara vs. Bonk

Old
10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
jmurray77

vCash: 500
Chipchara vs. Bonk

I think if Kyle was centering the third line w/ Johnson and Pereghozin the team would be better off. Bonk doesn't hit doesn't score and doesn't win faceoffs w/ no upside. I've been waiting for him to break out of his funk but I don't think so anymore.

Kyle could be groomed as the third line leader for yrs to come especially w/ a mentor like kirk muller behind the bench. Kyle could kill penalties as good as Bonk and hit more and given time produce more offensively.

I guess Bonk and his 2 million salary is the sticking point, no one would add the total sum of his salary in their right mind, so either they ride out the yrs w/ him, please God no, or he sits as Kyle comes up.

The other side is that he is a veteran but I don't see and leadership qualities from him ever.

jmurray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
God, I wish we had a Chipchara... A 6'9" centre.

As for Kyle, he'll get his chance but I honestly don't think we'd be better off with him over Bonk at the moment.

Bill McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Sthabs

I respectfully disagree..
Bonk, while yes being overpaid, is probably one of the best Pker, he does win faceoffs, looks like he has decent spped this season, he s strong on the puck, he s experienced, etc...
Yes it s not enough for what we pay him, but what he does, he does it good...

Right now I believe the team is better with Bonk than it is with Chip

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray77 View Post
I think if Kyle was centering the third line w/ Johnson and Pereghozin the team would be better off. Bonk doesn't hit doesn't score and doesn't win faceoffs w/ no upside. I've been waiting for him to break out of his funk but I don't think so anymore.

Kyle could be groomed as the third line leader for yrs to come especially w/ a mentor like kirk muller behind the bench. Kyle could kill penalties as good as Bonk and hit more and given time produce more offensively.

I guess Bonk and his 2 million salary is the sticking point, no one would add the total sum of his salary in their right mind, so either they ride out the yrs w/ him, please God no, or he sits as Kyle comes up.

The other side is that he is a veteran but I don't see and leadership qualities from him ever.

Chipchura isnt ready, he needs to improve his foot speed.. At the moment Bonk by a mile.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

Bonk's is playing good hockey . have you watched a game this year?What's the complaint ?

Lets be honest Kyle isnt ready i watched him the entire preseason if he was Bonk wouldnt be here .

i hope we resign Bonk .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Bonk's is playing good hockey . have you watched a game this year?What's the complaint ?

Lets be honest Kyle isnt ready i watched him the entire preseason if he was Bonk wouldnt be here .

i hope we resign Bonk .
I think this is the first time somebody say that

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Sthabs

lol I d agree with him
but maybe i d re - sign him for 1.5

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

i hope we resign Bonk .
If we resign Bonk, I think I just might have to kill Gainey...

You mention Bonk playing good hockey...The guy has 45.8% FO wins, 3 giveaways and 0 hits. You call that good hockey? Open your eyes... The guy is nothing but a fourth liner, and has been dragging the 3rd line down.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Habbadasher

Not a fan of Bonk, but Chip is not ready. When he is, I'll be the first to agree with you.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:

Kyle Chipchara is my favorite player

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

You mention Bonk playing good hockey...The guy has 45.8% FO wins, 3 giveaways and 0 hits. You call that good hockey? Open your eyes... The guy is nothing but a fourth liner, and has been dragging the 3rd line down.
Bonk is doing a fine job.. I dont care about stats, I like what he is doing on the ice... He works hard, improved his speed from last year, can make things happen at time offensively, is defensively solid and doesnt look out of play centering Perez and Jonhson..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

wow . all those stats after 2 games .

did you even watch the game vs toronto ?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
wow . all those stats after 2 games .

did you even watch the game vs toronto ?
Yep..He had 1 scoring opportunity which he screwed up royally.Other then that, didn't create anything offensively.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:44 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
I respectfully disagree..
Bonk, while yes being overpaid, is probably one of the best Pker, he does win faceoffs, looks like he has decent spped this season, he s strong on the puck, he s experienced, etc...
Yes it s not enough for what we pay him, but what he does, he does it good...

Right now I believe the team is better with Bonk than it is with Chip

Totally agree with that comment.

Kyle will become a great leader in years to come, but he really need to work on his speed. He shows some great ice vision and play making during the training camp, but he was as fast as Dagenais with a piano on his shoulder. I think he might be part of the team next year (if we trade Bonk for cap space).

Bonk for now is a key player, he is a pocket Ace if you ask me. He will have a great season as he did last year (yes he did have a great defensive season) but with a couple more goals (around 10-15)

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Bob in Niagara

Bonk is way over paid for what he does. I would gladly trade him if it was up to me, but I think we're going to be stuck with his contract until the end of this year. Lapierre and/or Chipchura can easily replace him.

As for Bonk being useful, yes he is ok on the defensive side, but he has no offensive finish and his creativity with the puck is truly lacking. This was quite obvious against the Leafs the other night.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Better With Age*

You're probably one of the ones who thought Latendresse should make the team at the expense of Perezhogin too right?

Perezhogin is far superior to Latendresse at this point, and the same goes for Bonk vs. Kyle.

Let the good play at least a year in the AHL on a good team. It will do nothing but help him.

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Habitants

how about...

we wait like 10-20 more games

then after the dust settles, and our need for a top center is more desperate, we can trade perz and souray and get one, then pleks will be back on the 3rd line, with johnson and Lats

and bonk can play on the 4th line again untill we send him packing also

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:15 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I agree with most on here. Chipchura is not ready. He neeeds time to improve his game in the minors. Bonk is excellent defensilvely and does the little things right. He is not an offensive player and is not expected to be. At this point Bonk is a better player. He may be overpaid but at this point that is irrelevent.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Iz

Chip is not ready yet!
Why not sign a real 3rd line center like Perreault? He's available, cheap, can produce points and very hard to beat in faceoffs.

Iz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:43 AM
big_habs_fan

Although I do see Chip as a fixture on the third line as early as next year, I do believe that he definately needs some grooming in Hamilton before that happens.

Also, Bonk is in a contract year and is having a better start to this season than the last. I see Bonk here for the duration of the season (perhaps he gets moved near the trade deadline, but no sooner) and I see him playing a very key role for us this year.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iz View Post
Chip is not ready yet!
Why not sign a real 3rd line center like Perreault? He's available, cheap, can produce points and very hard to beat in faceoffs.
The day Perreault is in the habs lineup again, Im changing team.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Teufelsdreck

I think this thread reflects wishful thinking on the part of the poster rather than an evidence-based judgment. On the basis of his preseason work, Chipchura isn't up to playing in the NHL at the moment. What would we do next if Chipchura were to replace Bonk and prove inadequate? Pull Grabovsky out of rehab and insert him on the third line? IMHO Lapierre is more advanced than Chipchura and Grabovsky and would be more ready to replace Bonk at this point. Finally, before I would consider calling up Chipchura, I would try Johnson at center, with Kotsitsyn replacing him on the wing.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
The day Perreault is in the habs lineup again, Im changing team.
Would you have said the same thing for Traverse???

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

As for this thread, Bonk is fine right now. To the point of wanting him back, my 3rd liner centerman will need to do more than just being better than the previous year and had some points on the scoreboard, we're not there yet but I don't see this happening. Chipper, Lapierre and Grabo might not be ready yet, but they will be next year, at least for Chipper and Lapierre, we'll see about Grabo.

If anybody is recalled from the Dogs, it should be Kosty based on his preseason play. In the meantime, I hope he'll find the back of the net but he will, I'm sure.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
Bonk is way over paid for what he does. I would gladly trade him if it was up to me, but I think we're going to be stuck with his contract until the end of this year. Lapierre and/or Chipchura can easily replace him.

As for Bonk being useful, yes he is ok on the defensive side, but he has no offensive finish and his creativity with the puck is truly lacking. This was quite obvious against the Leafs the other night.
I'm tired of people saying "montreal should bring up "person with even less experience and icetime" to replace bonk". Bonk isn't the greatest but come on. If he can't be traded why replace him with somebody completely outclassed by the NHL at the moment.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote