HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Sullivan

Old
10-11-2006, 02:51 PM
RNiner

vCash: 500
O'Sullivan

Partial Kings fan here. Actually, I just like rebuilding and young teams. Anyway, I'm interested to know more about O'Sullivan. He seems to be shooting a ton, but gets middling ice time. How come? Do you guys anticipate him receiving more ice time in the future? (Short term future? I'm partially asking for my salary cap hockey pool.) I assumed he'd be a major part of the powerplay, but I didn't anticipate Kopitar playing as big a role as he has. Are they just starting him slowly, or will he be a 10 min/g player all year?

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
He'd be doing better if his linemates could actually score. Either he misses out on assists because his linemates can't bury open shots or he misses out on scoring chances because the opposition forcuses on him knowing his linemates can't score.

He played a much more active role against the Isles and had some very good scoring opportunities. But then, he was on a line with Kopitar at times during the game which helped. He will be getting better. How quickly? I don't know.

10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
He'd be doing better if his linemates could actually score. Either he misses out on assists because his linemates can't bury open shots or he misses out on scoring chances because the opposition forcuses on him knowing his linemates can't score.

He played a much more active role against the Isles and had some very good scoring opportunities. But then, he was on a line with Kopitar at times during the game which helped. He will be getting better. How quickly? I don't know.
Sounds like the Rick Nash syndrome a few years ago with the CBJ's.

So I guess it would be safe to assume that O'Sullivan's talents are being utilized in LA and not wasted like they were in Minnesota?

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I think around 10 minutes of icetime is more than enough for him at the moment.

Just take a look at other scoresheets and some respectable players aren't getting much more.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I think around 10 minutes of icetime is more than enough for him at the moment.

Just take a look at other scoresheets and some respectable players aren't getting much more.
Yah. Again, this is what happens to your average rookie. Until they become a more complete player and acclimate to the pace of the game, they're not going to get the ice time. Osullivan? He makes a ton of defensive errors and is like a timid mouse when it comes to physicallity. He's also showing flares of why he scored 47 in the A. Development takes time for most players.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Yah. Again, this is what happens to your average rookie. Until they become a more complete player and acclimate to the pace of the game, they're not going to get the ice time. Osullivan? He makes a ton of defensive errors and is like a timid mouse when it comes to physicallity. He's also showing flares of why he scored 47 in the A. Development takes time for most players.
What lead you to belive that O`Sullivan isnt acclimated to the pace of the game? The guy has had a ton of scoreing chances yes....But the option of getting an assist isnt there for the kid...Look who he is playing with? Ivannans , Cowan , common? If O`Sullivan plays with someone with a little bit of talent he would do fine? But were too busy getting our moneys worth with Armstrong...rofl.

Willsie - Kopitar - Frolov
Cammaleri - O`Sullivan - Brown

these are the lines I would like to see

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Look who he is playing with? Ivannans , Cowan , common?
No...

links: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/SC020018.HTM
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/SC020031.HTM
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/SC020041.HTM

Kopitar, Frolov, Cammalleri, Avery, Conroy, PP Time...

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-11-2006 at 07:25 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Fat Elvis

It looked like he played a stronger game last night vs the Islanders. You can see him getting more comfortable and confident. He'll be fine, infact I predict he has more goals than Brown by the end of the season.

Fat Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Im talking about the games before dude.....He played on the 4 on 4 ONE time because Armstrong got his clock cleaned by Witt and went to the bench early....

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Im talking about the games before dude.....He played on the 4 on 4 ONE time because Armstrong got his clock cleaned by Witt and went to the bench early....
Before what dude? Those are links to the the shift charts for all 3 games the Kings have played this season...Look at the charts, you'll likely see a different picture than the one you're trying to paint regarding O'Sullivan's linemates...

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-11-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old
10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
TeNeIghtY

Call me crazy but IMO if O'Sullivan was playing 20 min/g with Frolov instead of Kopitar since game #1 he would have the same kind of stats than Anze

TeNeIghtY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeNeIghtY View Post
Call me crazy but IMO if O'Sullivan was playing 20 min/g with Frolov instead of Kopitar since game #1 he would have the same kind of stats than Anze
I admire the thought, but I think that that's unlikely. Kopitar has looked so more polished than O'Sullivan, and it really doesn't have anything to do with ice-time. Also, it isn't Frolov that's making Kopitar look good; it's Kopitar that's making Frolov look good (or better), so I doubt that O'Sullivan playing with Frolov would change things very much. O'Sullivan is just playing like a rookie, while Kopitar is playing like a veteran, and the difference is striking. That's why there's a big difference in ice-time; it's not just luck in favor of one over the other.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:18 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeNeIghtY View Post
Strongly disagree.

Kopitar's numbers are the way they are because of Kopitar, not because of ice time. He has seriously made his linemates better and generated chances for both himself and his linemates.

O'Sullivan is getting more confident, but he's still getting pushed off of the puck when he tries to stickhandle around a guy, and he's still needing other players to help him generate chances, than the other way around.

There's seriously a world of difference between O'Sullivan and Kopitar right now. It's not a knock on O'Sullivan; it's just very strong praise for Kopitar.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:30 AM
King Blazer

A few things to keep in mind:

If you ask team and league officials from the AHL to compare the level of play in the league post-lockout, off the record, they'll likely concede that the level of play in the AHL did not recover to the level it was prior to the lockout season. The salary threshold for re-entry waivers is being used by many teams as a salary CAP for AHL salaries and the result is that the more talented "career minor leaguers" have headed for Europe. The level of play in the AHL is down. O'Sullivan was the rookie of the year in the AHL last season and while that is still a great accomplishment, it was in a league that simply isn't at the level it used to be...

O'Sullivan played his AHL season for the Houston Aeros. The AHL plays a Division heavy schedule. It's likely that O'Sullivan and the Aeros played about 10-games each against San Antonio and Omaha last season and a handful of games against Western conference teams such as Cleveland...

O'Sullivan had the benefit last season of lining up with two seasoned veterans, namely, Kirby Law and Eric Westrum. Many folks here and on other boards have suggested that Law's and Wastrum's numbers were as good as they were because of playing with O'Sullivan. Although playing with O'Sullivan might have had an effect, the level of play in the league might have as well. Law put up good numbers in the AHL prior to joining Houston. Westrum is playing for the Marlies (AHL) this season and has 2-goals and 1-assist in two games with them...

Ryan Shannon from the Ducks was the other top rookie in the AHL last season and had a slight edge over O'Sullivan in PPG production. I'll suggest to folks that as much as it pains some to actually watch a Ducks game, when you have a chance, watch Shannon in a few games...

O'Sullivan is a rookie folks...

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-12-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old
10-12-2006, 01:32 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
O'Sullivan is a rookie folks...
Unfortunately, Kopitar's early success is being used as a measuring stick for O'Sullivan and that is unfair to both Kopitar and O'Sullivan. If Sully had 1 point in his first 3 games and Kopitar was in Manchester, no one would think twice about Sully having "only" 1 point. As with Kopitar, give me at least 40 games before we start thinking about these things.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Unfortunately, Kopitar's early success is being used as a measuring stick for O'Sullivan and that is unfair to both Kopitar and O'Sullivan. If Sully had 1 point in his first 3 games and Kopitar was in Manchester, no one would think twice about Sully having "only" 1 point. As with Kopitar, give me at least 40 games before we start thinking about these things.
If O'Sullivan can't put up one tenth of Kopitar's points (in other words, if O'Sullivan can't score 25 points from Kopitar's 250) after a measley 40 games in the season, then the Demitra trade will be a failure!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
If O'Sullivan can't put up one tenth of Kopitar's points (in other words, if O'Sullivan can't score 25 points from Kopitar's 250) after a measley 40 games in the season, then the Demitra trade will be a failure!
Only 250 points? Just wait until Kopitar gets hot.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Only 250 points? Just wait until Kopitar gets hot.
Although 250-pts in 40-games does seem a bit low for Kopitar at this point, we need to remember he is a rookie and there could be those off nights where he only gets 5-points or so...

Old
10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Although 250-pts in 40-games does seem a bit low for Kopitar at this point, we need to remember he is a rookie and there could be those off nights where he only gets 5-points or so...
Blasphemy! You know it's not possible for him to get that cold.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Blast! He'll never win the Kopitar Trophy playing like that.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Blast! He'll never win the Kopitar Trophy playing like that.
Sounds like he already did.....since it's named for him.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Wab_killa*

kopitar is a STUD, but o'sully is just embarassing

Wab_killa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab_killa View Post

Did you watch the game tonight? O'Sullivan made some plays and got some shots off. He had more of a presence than Kopitar.

It's only been 4 games. He'll come around.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab_killa View Post
Great, the thought of you rooting for the same team I do is embarassing

Fat Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:

O'Sullivan had the benefit last season of lining up with two seasoned veterans, namely, Kirby Law and Eric Westrum. Many folks here and on other boards have suggested that Law's and Wastrum's numbers were as good as they were because of playing with O'Sullivan. Although playing with O'Sullivan might have had an effect, the level of play in the league might have as well. Law put up good numbers in the AHL prior to joining Houston. Westrum is playing for the Marlies (AHL) this season and has 2-goals and 1-assist in two games with them...
That's a nice theory, but I think most Aeros fans would tell you that Roman Volschenko was the third member of that Law Westrum line.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote