HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Radio Rumour: NYI-St. Louis

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 07:06 AM
think-blue-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Radio Rumour: NYI-St. Louis

Bill Watters (Who has his sources - he's a former asst. GM) has reported that a deal could be close to be going down between St Louis and NYI.

The deal would send a dman to St Louis - Niinimaa (this is who Watters mentioned)

Jamal Myers would be part of the package going back to NY.

It was reported on Mojo640 am in Toronto, at 12:00 noon.

Again, Watters has his sources. He's the one who broke the Ferguson hiring in Toronto, among other things. I wouldn't believe he's lying.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Bill Watters (Who has his sources - he's a former asst. GM) has reported that a deal could be close to be going down between St Louis and NYI.

The deal would send a dman to St Louis - Niinimaa (this is who Watters mentioned)

Again, Watters has his sources. He's the one who broke the Ferguson hiring in Toronto, among other things. I wouldn't believe he's lying.
Rumors are rumors. Not quite sure why the Blues would do this. I like Niinimaa and he adds punch w/ Mac out, but I would think a the scoring Winger for Weight would be more important (then again, I am just a fan).

BTW, what would Mayers bring that Weimer didn't (wasn't he just waived)?

Old
11-21-2003, 07:26 AM
degroat*

I would love to see Niinimaa in St. Louis, but I couldn't see Mayers being the center piece.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:33 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I would love to see Niinimaa in St. Louis, but I couldn't see Mayers being the center piece.
Isles fans.. that was your cue to say something.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:38 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Darth is still sleeping and the rest of the crew (including crew) are worn out by days of constant Isles talk.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't make sense from an Isles point of view. We don't need anymore 3rd/4th liners (I believe that's what Mayers plays on).

We need what St. Louis needs (scoring winger) or another defenseman. The rumor seems very odd, doesn't seem to really address either teams present concerns.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:50 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't really think this needed comment, but I really can't see MM
1) picking up Mayers, who there is no room for, and makes $800K, and
2) trading Niinimaa without getting an impact player back. 7 months after trading Torres, who has played great, and Isbister for Niinimaa he is going to trade him for Mayers? Bye Bye fans. Bye Bye wins. Bye Bye job.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:56 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
2) trading Niinimaa without getting an impact player back. 7 months after trading Torres, who has played great, and Isbister for Niinimaa he is going to trade him for Mayers? Bye Bye fans. Bye Bye wins. Bye Bye job.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11

Not that I am defending this rumor, but as I understand, they are saying Mayers as PART of a package. Who knows what else is involved?

Thinkblue - Thanks for posting this. Seems like a situation to watch.

11-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I can't see why the Isles would have interest in Mayers in the first place, they just waived a simular, yet slightly better player in Wiemer (even though his salary is what had him waived) and have players like Scatchard and Peca as other checking centers. I can't see why they would need Mayers for, much less as a centerpiece but I think that part has been blown out of proportion when it got leaked.

IMO, Demitra would have to be included, maybe he and a pick/prospect for Niinimaa and Bates? I'd expect such a deal to go down, if these teams would trade that is.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
IMO, Demitra would have to be included, maybe he and a pick/prospect for Niinimaa and Bates? I'd expect such a deal to go down, if these teams would trade that is.
1. Remember the trade deadline last season, when we heard how Player X could be had for 3 picks, 5 prospects, and a boatload of cash.....only to discover that he got traded for a 5th round pick. Perceived trade value is usually at least twice what the player will actually fetch. (See: trading the #1 overall pick in 2003)

2. Possible Colin Hemingway gets moved - the Blues weren't happy with his play at Worcester, and had problems getting him signed after he was drafted from UNH.

I haven't heard anything here...I'll look around though.

11-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I can't see why the Isles would have interest in Mayers in the first place, they just waived a simular, yet slightly better player in Wiemer (even though his salary is what had him waived) and have players like Scatchard and Peca as other checking centers. I can't see why they would need Mayers for, much less as a centerpiece but I think that part has been blown out of proportion when it got leaked.

Given the source could bne interesting to watch. Niinimaa was complaining to a Finnish paper earlier in the season about pp time and his d partner, but I haven't heard anything since. My guess would be a Niinimaa based package for a Jackman based package. No way MM wants to go without a top four guy if he's trading one away. At least I hope not. Sheesh.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:21 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
Given the source could bne interesting to watch. Niinimaa was complaining to a Finnish paper earlier in the season about pp time and his d partner, but I haven't heard anything since. My guess would be a Niinimaa based package for a Jackman based package. No way MM wants to go without a top four guy if he's trading one away. At least I hope not. Sheesh.
If Jackman's name entered the discussions the talks between Milbury and Pleau wouldn't have lasted long enough for anyone to start a rumor.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:22 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue

29 yr old Hamrlik -$3.6m.rfa July 2004,ufa in July,2005
30 yr old Aucoin-$3.2m.rfa this summer,ufa in July,2005

27 yr old Niinimma $2.9m-the furthest from being a ufa and the least likely to be dealt.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Jackman will not be moved for Niinimaa. St Louis gets boned on that deal, and they're the ones accepting a salary dump.

If Niinimaa moves, the Islanders get awful thin on defense. They'd need a lesser defenceman back. If Mayers is indeed part of the deal (which I highly, highly doubt for reasons that have been said by others) I could see Khavanov and Mayers for Niinimaa. Although even that might be overpayment...Khavanov straight up might do it.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:25 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Jackman will not be moved for Niinimaa. St Louis gets boned on that deal, and they're the ones accepting a salary dump.

If Niinimaa moves, the Islanders get awful thin on defense. They'd need a lesser defenceman back. If Mayers is indeed part of the deal (which I highly, highly doubt for reasons that have been said by others) I could see Khavanov and Mayers for Niinimaa. Although even that might be overpayment...Khavanov straight up might do it.
I'd have no problem doing Khavanov and Mayers for him. I think the Blues would have to throw in a decent pick... 2nd or 3rd or a prospect on top of that.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Irish Blues

I'd give Khavanov, Mayers and a conditional 5th or a mid-level prospect for Niinimaa. Anything over a 5th is overpaying.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Khavanov straight up might do it.
Sure, though not for the Niinimaa I know.. they would laugh just as much as Pleau would laugh if they proposed Cairns for Jackman.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Seedy

Quote:
I say not probable.Quality defenceman are valuable and Ninimmaa has only been here a short time. If there was some truth to it you better come across with more than Jamaal Mayer!

Old
11-21-2003, 08:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
If Jackman's name entered the discussions the talks between Milbury and Pleau wouldn't have lasted long enough for anyone to start a rumor.

at the 2003 draft both TB and Toronto approached MM about defensive help.Neither deal went anywhere,but that didn't stop months of rumors that

1.Hamrlik was going to TB for Modin,Keefe+Clymer.
2.Harmilk or Jonsson were going to Toronto for some combination of Tucker/Green

Old
11-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I'd give Khavanov, Mayers and a conditional 5th or a mid-level prospect for Niinimaa. Anything over a 5th is overpaying.

That might be all YOU are willing to give, but the Blahs are not getting Niinimaa at that price. No offense meant, but that offer is ridiculous. For one think, the Isles are not going to trade Niinimaa and then take the salary of two marginal vets.

My take on this: I don't see the Isles and Blues as a good match, and I never did. But, one never knows. Mayers might not make sense, but if some salary dump deal is going to go down, one could imagine a bunch of young players, picks or prospects coming to the Island, and the Islanders agreeing to eat the salary of a guy like Mayers. It seem improbable, but it could certainly happen.

I'm suggesting a deal involving picks, prospects, and Mayers. I don't know enough about the Blues organization to know who those prospects might be, and I think it is unlikely that Janne N goes in a salary dump (or goes at all). But, following the Isles handling of the Wiemer debacle, I think anything is possible.

Personally, I still think that Mark Parrish will be a Blackhawk shortly, and that the Blues will stand pat until the playoffs. I think they are going to have a lot of trouble finding a winger for Weight.

But, again, I claim no inside knowledge.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:00 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues

these were the same type of proposals that TB and Leaf fans were insisting the nyi would have to accept for Hamrlik last summer.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW

these were the same type of proposals that TB and Leaf fans were insisting the nyi would have to accept for Hamrlik last summer.
It isn't a sensible offer, and it has no chance of happening. But, I still think the situation is worth keeping an eye on. The speed and circumstances under the Wiemer situation are very suspicious, and suggest something bad is going down on LI.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:06 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Hey, the Oilers would love to get Niinimaa back. How's his knee by the way? We'll give you Isbister back for him...

Old
11-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Hey, the Oilers would love to get Niinimaa back. How's his knee by the way? We'll give you Isbister back for him...

His knee seems to be holding up well.

Good luck with Isbister and his contract.

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that he didn't pan out. I really thought he would emerge as a solid 25 goal second line winger. Maybe he still will.

Closed Thread