HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van/NYI/Ana Proposal:

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Van/NYI/Ana Proposal:

Well with unconfirmed rumors flying around all over the place, I thought I would take a stab at a proposal here. Be gentle I don't make a lot of these things. Well I have heard a couple times that the Canucks may be interested in Eric Cairns, who I have liked for a long time, so here is my proposal:

To Vancouver:
D Eric Cairns

To NYI:
D Vitali Vishnevski
4th round pick (from Ana)

To Anaheim:
D Jiri Slegr
R Mark Parrish

Why I think it works?

Vancouver gets a tough guy that they can rotate in with Allen/Sopel when needed, and perhaps convert to forward on certain occasions.

The Islanders get a young defenceman, who makes a decent salary and allows them to move one of Niinimaa or Hamrlik.

The Ducks get a depth defenceman who has good experience and a decent contract, and goal scoring forward who works hard and goes to the net, two things that the Ducks could improve on from where I stand.

What do you think?

Old
11-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Well with unconfirmed rumors flying around all over the place, I thought I would take a stab at a proposal here. Be gentle I don't make a lot of these things. Well I have heard a couple times that the Canucks may be interested in Eric Cairns, who I have liked for a long time, so here is my proposal:

To Vancouver:
D Eric Cairns

To NYI:
D Vitali Vishnevski
4th round pick (from Ana)

To Anaheim:
D Jiri Slegr
R Mark Parrish

Why I think it works?

Vancouver gets a tough guy that they can rotate in with Allen/Sopel when needed, and perhaps convert to forward on certain occasions.

The Islanders get a young defenceman, who makes a decent salary and allows them to move one of Niinimaa or Hamrlik.

The Ducks get a depth defenceman who has good experience and a decent contract, and goal scoring forward who works hard and goes to the net, two things that the Ducks could improve on from where I stand.

What do you think?
I think Anaheim makes out a little too nicely in this deal. But, the basic structure of the deal seems pretty fair to me.

11-21-2003, 03:27 PM
IslesFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I think Anaheim makes out a little too nicely in this deal. But, the basic structure of the deal seems pretty fair to me.
I think if the Isles got a 2nd round pick from Anaheim the deal is perfect.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Only way the Ducks would make this deal is if they could get rid of a defenseman and not get another one.
Given the fact that Vishnevski has elevated his play to a new level lately, I think Simpson or Havelid is more expendable.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
agreed

Old
11-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
Only way the Ducks would make this deal is if they could get rid of a defenseman and not get another one.
Given the fact that Vishnevski has elevated his play to a new level lately, I think Simpson or Havelid is more expendable.

Good to hear Vishnevski is doing better. He has a ton of potential.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
Vish has been scratched 5 times this year, he had only been scratched 4 times in his entire NHL career before this season.

This trade isn't meant to solve all parties problems (the Ducks could always move a defenceman, Parrish is the key) there are many intangibles, I'm just trying to think of a trade that makes sense for all teams.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
i see where your going. but anahiem wouldnt want a defensman.

Old
11-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Vish has been scratched 5 times this year, he had only been scratched 4 times in his entire NHL career before this season.

This trade isn't meant to solve all parties problems (the Ducks could always move a defenceman, Parrish is the key) there are many intangibles, I'm just trying to think of a trade that makes sense for all teams.

The deal may or may not work for both sides, but it is a rare example of a fantasy post that is actually fair to every team involved.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:15 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
The deal may or may not work for both sides, but it is a rare example of a fantasy post that is actually fair to every team involved.
I agree... I don't see it happening... but it's a pretty fair and balanced deal..

although, if Visnevsky has been scratched 5 times this year, how is his value (with a 4th rounder) worth Slegr and Parrish - how's that worth Parrish alone?

Old
11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I agree... I don't see it happening... but it's a pretty fair and balanced deal..

although, if Visnevsky has been scratched 5 times this year, how is his value (with a 4th rounder) worth Slegr and Parrish - how's that worth Parrish alone?

I guess that I think he has upside. I don't know if he is seen that way around the league though....

Old
11-21-2003, 05:21 PM
PECAhead

From the Isles perspective I think turning Parrish into a cheap, young D-man who has the potential to develop into a top 4 player would be perfect.

The Islanders depth strength is more towards the forwards than it is for the Dmen. I think that a combination of Czerkawski, Hunter, Asham and Weinhandl will be able to make up the loss of 25-30G by Parrish.

With that said I wouldn't mind Vishniveski (sp). The inclusion of Cairns is simply a salary dump.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Tony_Gallagher

vCash:
Where did you get this? The Fourth Period? If so, consider the source. The Canucks are not interested in the slow-footed Eric Cairns.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECAhead
From the Isles perspective I think turning Parrish into a cheap, young D-man who has the potential to develop into a top 4 player would be perfect.

The Islanders depth strength is more towards the forwards than it is for the Dmen. I think that a combination of Czerkawski, Hunter, Asham and Weinhandl will be able to make up the loss of 25-30G by Parrish.

With that said I wouldn't mind Vishniveski (sp). The inclusion of Cairns is simply a salary dump.

I have to agree with you on all your points. I'm not a fan of trading Parrish, but would love to have a young stud with a mean streak in the system.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:14 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Gallagher
Where did you get this? The Fourth Period? If so, consider the source. The Canucks are not interested in the slow-footed Eric Cairns.
i think, like most things on the board seemto be, its all idea's.

just a thought.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Make the 4th round pick heading to the Isles a 2nd rounder and I think it's a pretty even deal all around.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:21 PM
kenabnrmal

Judging a young d-man's value based on the number of times he's been scratched this season seems awful strange. He had a rough start to the season, so with the depth the team has on d Babcock deemed that he'd do well to watch a few from the press box. Far more telling to me however, is that for the past 4 or 5 games he's been the team's best d-man. Parrish and Slegr isn't a bad return for the Ducks, but I don't think they make the trade. The point is, regardless of what you consider his value to be to other teams, the Ducks certainly wouldn't accept less for Vishnevski (especially as he seems to have turned his game around nicely), and may not even be willing to accept this deal, value-wise. Its a good effort, however.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Three way deals are as rare as the dinosaurs. And especially in-season.

I take it that you are a Vancouver fan, but Parrish for Vish, straight up makes a lot more sense for the Ducks and Isles, IMO. Forget the pick, forget the spare dman that Anaheim seemingly doesn't need (although NYI can throw in Cairns if the #4 still comes their way).

Likewise, Cairns to Vancouver for a mid- to late-round pick or a marginal prospect makes sense.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

The Vitali Vishnevski who was scratched is not the same one who is playing on the blueline now. He has had a wakeup call and is playing some of the best hockey he has ever shown in Anaheim.
I agree that the value is good, and I also agree that Anaheim would be in the market to move a defenseman. But that defenseman hopefully wouldn't be Vishnevski and also they probably wouldn't want a blueliner in return.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillson2Berge2Weinie
Yes it is but again what would the Canucks want with Eric Cairns, heck you can get him for a bag of cheese doodles and again I think the Isles would be more happy with a Babchuk and a 2 cause Babs is a couple of years away unlike Vish who would be stuck behind the four D we have now...
I never said that any team would make the deal, just that it's even value wise. But the Canucks could use a big enforcer like Cairns, especially considering that Cairns does have the ability to play a regular NHL shift as a 6th d-man. If he was acquired, a d-man would have to be moved, likely Slegr. This is why this deal makes some sense from a Canucks' perspective(although I think they may just either stick with their current "enforcing" situation or pick up a no talent goon for really cheap...).

As for Babchuk, I highly doubt he's available, especially for Parrish. He'll be the Hawks #1 d-man for the next decade...

Old
11-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Likewise, Cairns to Vancouver for a mid- to late-round pick or a marginal prospect makes sense.
Not for Vancouver though. Adding Cairns would result in having 8 NHL blueliners(Jovo, Ohlund, Salo, Sopel, Malik, Allen, Slegr the other 7), and there just wouldn't be enough playing time or space on the roster to go around. If a guy like Cairns is brought in, then Slegr would have to be sent out. For this reason, I doubt the Canucks have any interest, or if any it's probably really small, itsy bitsy sized interest...

Old
11-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Not for Vancouver though. Adding Cairns would result in having 8 NHL blueliners(Jovo, Ohlund, Salo, Sopel, Malik, Allen, Slegr the other 7), and there just wouldn't be enough playing time or space on the roster to go around. If a guy like Cairns is brought in, then Slegr would have to be sent out. For this reason, I doubt the Canucks have any interest, or if any it's probably really small, itsy bitsy sized interest...
He'd be great for spot duty(St.Louis,Minnesota)and even more insurance when injury occurs.I think picking up Cairns and what's remaining of his 900,000 contract can only be a good thing.Cairns should come relatively cheap(mid-level pick or prospect)and would add that true heavyweight that they are missing.Cairns can help make other teams be honest.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
He'd be great for spot duty(St.Louis,Minnesota)and even more insurance when injury occurs.I think picking up Cairns and what's remaining of his 900,000 contract can only be a good thing.Cairns should come relatively cheap(mid-level pick or prospect)and would add that true heavyweight that they are missing.Cairns can help make other teams be honest.
Where does he fit though? If he's picked up to play as a defensemen, that means that Slegr is out of a job, I don't think Burke and Crawford a prepared to move him. What happens if Jovo or someone goes down? I'd much rather have a mobile, experienced guy like Slegr then a immobile guy like Cairns or a completely inexperience player from the minors playing. Maybe that's just me?

Like I said, Cairns could be an option, but If the Canucks want an enforcer, the'll likely look for a guy who is a forward and put him in Lindgren's spot. The blueline is just too deep to add anyone else IMO.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Where does he fit though? If he's picked up to play as a defensemen, that means that Slegr is out of a job, I don't think Burke and Crawford a prepared to move him. What happens if Jovo or someone goes down? I'd much rather have a mobile, experienced guy like Slegr then a immobile guy like Cairns or a completely inexperience player from the minors playing. Maybe that's just me?

It looks like you don't think much of Cairns and that's fine as he definitely has his limitations.I was thinking along the lines that he can fill the 7th/8th spot and could easily fit into a spot when injuries,certain match up's and/or struggles to the defense occur.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Like I said, Cairns could be an option, but If the Canucks want an enforcer, the'll likely look for a guy who is a forward and put him in Lindgren's spot. The blueline is just too deep to add anyone else IMO.

Fair enough. Cairns is not good enough to play in the top four, and Slegr is (at least on a limited basis).

Closed Thread