HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jose Theodore doesn't like the idea of an outdoor game

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

vCash: 500
Why whould you not want to play in this game. It might (probably is) a once in a lifetime opportunity for the players. As Burke said "Players who aren't involved would give their front teeth to be involved, and those who are involved, complain. Go figure."

I have played on the lake, with tempartures in the -20 -25 celsius area. And I don't get payed like these guys. So come on Theodore, suck it up and enjoy a once in a life time opportunity.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128
The biggest newsflash is at the bottom of the page...Hainsey got a new haircut!
Good exemple of the Habs coverage here in Quebec . 2-3 Pages everyday !

Old
11-21-2003, 11:25 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Maybe Theo doesn't feel like he is gonna play his best because of the conditions and that all of North America will be watching.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:51 AM
gb701

The best hockey to play has always been on a pond - with a bonfire so that you don't have to go inside at all - you just stick your skates near to the fire. I damn near ruined a pair by melting the bottoms.

I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to whine in public about this.

I will be there - freezing if necessary - should be great!

Old
11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana
How do you say "sissy" in French Canadian?
I think it's spelled "d-o-u-c-h-e b-a-g", but I could be wrong. :mad:

All I can say is: WTF?! A professional hockey player complaining that playing outdoors is "too cold" or "dangerous"? Go home and have some nice cocoa if you don't like it you big vag. Maybe get in on some more of that loan-sharking action during the downtime!

Old
11-21-2003, 12:35 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
Damn guys all this outdoor hockey pond talk is making me upset. I've never been able to. Not once, living in Vancouver, it doesnt get that cold :mad: My dream is to play in an outdoor pond game, or pond hockey!!!!!!
I've played on a pond in ST. LOUIS.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
FAIR WEATHER PLAYERS: Canuck general manager Brian Burke has no patience for whispered complaints by players about Saturday's outdoor game between the Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers.

Several Canadiens, who lost 5-4 to the Canucks on Tuesday, quietly expressed concerns about ice quality, the weather, injuries and compromising the schedule.

"It's like being in the army," Burke said. "Players complain, just like soldiers complain. Players who aren't involved would give their front teeth to be involved, and those who are involved, complain. Go figure.

"The ice will be great. The game is a great concept, a great Canadian idea. I love it. If we weren't playing Saturday, I'd be there."

Burke should keep his big fat mouth shut. He has nothing to do with this game, so his opinion on what people involved with it feel mean's zilch. If players don't like skating on what could potentially be crappy ice, which could cause injuries, that is their perogative, and may be a legitamate concern. My guess is his opinion on the matter would change significantly if Bertuzzi or Naslund were involved in such a game and because of poor ice, blew out one of their knees.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:39 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I live in Wisconsin and I had the privilage of playing over a freezing cornfield. Also it used to get so cold I would get big stretches of Ice in my back yard. Not anymore though.

BOOOOWHOOOO I say to you mr Theodore. He has the chance to play in somthing that well be seen on ESPN Clasic years from now. He's complaining? This event is so good for the sport and for the NHL and he's complaining? Very irritated by his coments. I say let him have a shot to the groin. Let him tell us if that wouldve hurt indoors or does it hurt becuase it's so cold out.

I get up at 5:00 am to go to practice once a week for HS hockey. It's cold as poop, but if you love the game you dont care. I dont like that Theodore said this stuff.

ahh the Heritage clasic. I cant waite to see the great one. I was to young to truley appreciate him when he was playing.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Habsaku

Le journal de Montreal is the worse piece of **** Montrealers have the pleasure of reading. They always take things out of context and put it in big letters so people will read it. Theodore probably mentionned it just like anyone would, but some people make a big deal out of something Theodore clearly didn't think too much about.

«Are you eager to play in the game saturday?
-Yes its gonna be lots of fun but you know, it might be dangerous to stop pucks at -15, but it'll be like old days when we were kids.

Bam, you got yourself a headline.

Sissy: lopette.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Prendan Brust

Did anybody here bothered to read the article? Darryl Sutter said he understood their concerns. The risk of being wounded will be higher if the temperature is too low. Everybody here talks about how they played at -30 when they were younger... Did you guys ever play with NHLers that can shot a frozen puck at 90mph? Add to that that the goaltenders move less and they could get cold easily. I can understand their concerns... BTW nowhere in the article it's mentionned that Theo might not play...

Seems like nobody here misses a chance to bash Theo, even if it's underserved...

Old
11-21-2003, 01:13 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Funny only the Montreal goalies are complaining about the cold, yet I haven't a peep from Salo or Conklin. It would leave Montreal an easy out if they lost, complaining that it was snowing and too cold. Seriously have they never played a pick-up game on someone's pond or even an unheated rink?
Linda O'neill....who's that ?? She is hot as ***** !!!!

Old
11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Did anybody here bothered to read the article? Darryl Sutter said he understood their concerns. The risk of being wounded will be higher if the temperature is too low. Everybody here talks about how they played at -30 when they were younger... Did you guys ever play with NHLers that can shot a frozen puck at 90mph? Add to that that the goaltenders move less and they could get cold easily. I can understand their concerns... BTW nowhere in the article it's mentionned that Theo might not play...

Seems like nobody here misses a chance to bash Theo, even if it's underserved...
1. It won't be -30 - it will be just over -12 which is about the temperature inside the rinks where my sons play;
2. We didn't wear thousands of dollars of equipment;
3. We weren't being paid millions of dollars to play;
4. Goalies did get cold.

Theo is another overpaid, spoiled, soft, ........ He is also the ONLY one not excited to be playing.

There is no defending this.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
The temperature is expected to be about -16 and could be into the -20s if you include the windchill factor. There are concerns about how the hockey sticks will fair in the cold weather. Theodore mentioned that it is difficult to catch the puck when his glove is frozen.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:48 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
boo hoo, grow up it'll be cold, so?

Old
11-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Thalia

Go EDMONTON!

Old
11-21-2003, 01:53 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Burke should keep his big fat mouth shut. He has nothing to do with this game, so his opinion on what people involved with it feel mean's zilch.
By that logic, since you have even less to do with the game than Burke, you should REALLY be keeping your big fat mouth shut. In fact, everyone in this thread should be keeping their big fat mouths shut!

Old
11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Thalia

Quote:
By that logic, since you have even less to do with the game than Burke, you should REALLY be keeping your big fat mouth shut. In fact, everyone in this thread should be keeping their big fat mouths shut!
But if we all kept our big fat mouths shut... this site wouldn't have any posts.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Actually I have a thin mouth.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
But if we all kept our big fat mouths shut... this site wouldn't have any posts.
Hence the sarcasm in my post. I was just pointing out the hypocritical nature of that post. Attack Burke for the content of his opinion if you wish, but there's hardly grounds to attack him for simply responding to media questions about it.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Burke should keep his big fat mouth shut. He has nothing to do with this game, so his opinion on what people involved with it feel mean's zilch. If players don't like skating on what could potentially be crappy ice, which could cause injuries, that is their perogative, and may be a legitamate concern. My guess is his opinion on the matter would change significantly if Bertuzzi or Naslund were involved in such a game and because of poor ice, blew out one of their knees.
Edmonton has the best ice in the world.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:01 PM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
The temperature is expected to be about -16 and could be into the -20s if you include the windchill factor. There are concerns about how the hockey sticks will fair in the cold weather. Theodore mentioned that it is difficult to catch the puck when his glove is frozen.
The forecast for the surrounding area is as you say -16 - no windchill given light air from the south, which is the sheltered end of the stadium. With the lights on, heaters around, and over 50,000 people, the temperature on the ice will be warmer. I will still go with -12 - and it matters since I am going to be there.

"how the hockey sticks will fair" Trust me - composites play in those temperatures, and even if they didn't I haven't heard any complaints from the players.

"difficult to catch the puck when his glove is frozen" - TOO BAD! This has been an outdoor game for over a century, and the players know it and virtually everyone of them appreciate this for what it is.

I am actually hoping that the other poster above is correct and this is just a really stupid story that puts words in Theo's mouth - it would be easier to blame the press than accept that anyone who grew up playing hockey in Canada could be such a wuss..

Old
11-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Hence the sarcasm in my post. I was just pointing out the hypocritical nature of that post. Attack Burke for the content of his opinion if you wish, but there's hardly grounds to attack him for simply responding to media questions about it.
My comment wasn't hypocritical since I'm a fan, not a GM.

He's complaining about another GM's players being worried about injuries, when his players aren't playing under said conditions. I wasn't talking about him the fan, but him the hockey executive and what risks he's willing to have his athletes go through. If it's all fine and dandy he should play his games outdoors. See how he feels if one of his stars catchs a rut in the ice and blows out his knees.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku

Sissy: lopette.
I'm going to make a note of that: sissy = lopette, so when the 'Nucks aren't playing their physical game I can call them... err, what's plural in French for lopette and is that the same thing as 'pansy'?

Old
11-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Edmonton has the best ice in the world.
Agreed, the Arena ice is the best in the NHL. But the ice in Commonwealth Stadium ain't the same ice. Completely different technology and conditions.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:05 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
In today's edition of the "Journal de Montreal", a french-language paper in Montreal, there's an article about how Montreal goalies Theodore and Garon don't like the idea of going to play outside because it will be very cold and thus the puck will be harder and might cause injuries.

Interesting...
Don't know about the puck causing injury.

But there is a greater chance of a muscle strain in cold weather.

Closed Thread