HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jose Theodore doesn't like the idea of an outdoor game

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 02:17 PM
Bud The Spud*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb701
I am actually hoping that the other poster above is correct and this is just a really stupid story that puts words in Theo's mouth - it would be easier to blame the press than accept that anyone who grew up playing hockey in Canada could be such a wuss..
I never heard anything about him saying he didn't want to play and if he did, as much as I really like the guy, then shame on him. However, this thread began because of an article in a Montreal newspaper. Anybody who knows anything about the Montreal media knows that there is a lot of BS printed.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:19 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
My comment wasn't hypocritical since I'm a fan, not a GM.

He's complaining about another GM's players being worried about injuries, when his players aren't playing under said conditions. I wasn't talking about him the fan, but him the hockey executive and what risks he's willing to have his athletes go through. If it's all fine and dandy he should play his games outdoors.
It's not surprising to see this sort of thing since people tend to get pretty wrapped up in Burke bashing.

Your quote was as follows: "He has nothing to do with this game, so his opinion on what people involved with it feel mean's zilch." That statement is simply wrong.

And that's only one layer of it. Would you be whining about Burke's comments if it wasn't a habs player who he was talking about? You assume that Burke would change his tune if it was his team involved, yet at the same time one could accuse you of the exact same thing.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:39 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I never heard anything about him saying he didn't want to play and if he did, as much as I really like the guy, then shame on him. However, this thread began because of an article in a Montreal newspaper. Anybody who knows anything about the Montreal media knows that there is a lot of BS printed.
I tend to agree. It seems to me that it was the one paper blowing something that theo said as a side remark way out of proportion. I don't think that it's unreasonable for Theodore to be a bit concerned about it. At the same time if the NHL gives it the okay, it's obviously not a serious risk to be playing. I'd be pretty disappointed in him if he sat it out (as the paper seems to - incorrectly? - imply) since it's true that most of the players in this league would give their right arms to be out there.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:39 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Burke is my idol.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:44 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Thalia:

Where's Lindgren?

Old
11-21-2003, 02:50 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Agreed, the Arena ice is the best in the NHL. But the ice in Commonwealth Stadium ain't the same ice. Completely different technology and conditions.
I think Mother Nature's got the "technology" covered, Joe.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

If theo gets shutout no 5, you may as well hand him the vezina after the game. getting a shutout in the biggest rgular season game in nhl history could be too much to ignore by season's end.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Masao

Biggest regular-season game in NHL history?

Meh... maybe. I don't know... it probably is, now that I think about it. It just strikes me as odd that any game today's Habs participate in can be thought of as one of the biggest games ever... especially if they trap the whole game and it ends in a 1-1 tie with 20 total shots on goal

Old
11-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Thalia:

Where's Lindgren?
Good question. I didn't design the pic... I stole it from another site.

Then again, Lindgren has been gone for so long... the designer of the pic probably forgot all about him.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Kirk Muller

Funny, I just read the sportsnet article and all he did was bring up concerns about rebounds, and how excited he is about being part of the whole thing . His only concern was his mit because the leather froze which will caused rebounds. If this causes people to make degrading comments about ones character then its truly pathetic and the blind hatred of a player is beyond ridiculous.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
FAIR WEATHER PLAYERS: Canuck general manager Brian Burke has no patience for whispered complaints by players about Saturday's outdoor game between the Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers.

Several Canadiens, who lost 5-4 to the Canucks on Tuesday, quietly expressed concerns about ice quality, the weather, injuries and compromising the schedule.

"It's like being in the army," Burke said. "Players complain, just like soldiers complain. Players who aren't involved would give their front teeth to be involved, and those who are involved, complain. Go figure.

"The ice will be great. The game is a great concept, a great Canadian idea. I love it. If we weren't playing Saturday, I'd be there."
...and the re-writing of history continues. You would think the 75000 people that made up the largest hockey crowd ever didn't even exist or something.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Funny, I just read the sportsnet article and all he did was bring up concerns about rebounds, and how excited he is about being part of the whole thing . His only concern was his mit because the leather froze which will caused rebounds. If this causes people to make degrading comments about ones character then its truly pathetic and the blind hatred of a player is beyond ridiculous.
It is pathetic and blown way out of proportion. I don't know why people are always Theodore bashing at every chance they get.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:33 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
...and the re-writing of history continues. You would think the 75000 people that made up the largest hockey crowd ever didn't even exist or something.
I think he may be referring to the notion of playing hockey on an outdoor rink in general, which I'm pretty sure was happening before that game in Michigan

Btw, I was watching the habs practice on RDS and theodore was out there playing. This definitely has gotten blown out of proportion.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
PEOPLE WHO BASHED THEO ARE IDIOTS AND SHAME TO THEM D@MN... he just said that with this type of weather ... the puck will be frozen and there are more risk for him to be injured .. he never said that he don't want to play because there is too much risk ... !! im getting pissed off by every habs haters but more particuliary theodore haters .. he's a great guy .. he's a dedicated player that will give all he can to help is team to perform.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
PEOPLE WHO BASHED THEO ARE IDIOTS AND SHAME TO THEM D@MN... he just said that with this type of weather ... the puck will be frozen and there are more risk for him to be injured .. he never said that he don't want to play because there is too much risk ... !! im getting pissed off by every habs haters but more particuliary theodore haters .. he's a great guy .. he's a dedicated player that will give all he can to help is team to perform.
I completely agree. I would have been disappointed had he really said that he didn't want to play, but for so many people to jump on the Theodore bashing bandwagon is pathetic. It is one thing to hate the whole team, but to pick on one player who certainly doesn't deserve it really pisses me off too.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
"It's like being in the army," Burke said. "Players complain, just like soldiers complain. Players who aren't involved would give their front teeth to be involved, and those who are involved, complain. Go figure.
So a lot of people up there would give their front teeth to be in the army? I think your standard backyard/pond hockey is significantly different from the NHL variety. I could see the weather becoming an issue as far as injuries are concerned.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

Quote:
I think he may be referring to the notion of playing hockey on an outdoor rink in general, which I'm pretty sure was happening before that game in Michigan

Btw, I was watching the habs practice on RDS and theodore was out there playing. This definitely has gotten blown out of proportion.
Well, when he uses words like "concept" it makes me think he means "playing an outdoor game in a football stadium in front of a huge crowd". Because otherwise, if he means "playing hockey outdoors", all he is doing is saying that Canada invented the sport of hockey in a really obfuscating way.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:06 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Well, when he uses words like "concept" it makes me think he means "playing an outdoor game in a football stadium in front of a huge crowd". Because otherwise, if he means "playing hockey outdoors", all he is doing is saying that Canada invented the sport of hockey in a really obfuscating way.
He's a lawyer. Obfuscation is a way of life.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
Biggest regular-season game in NHL history?

Meh... maybe. I don't know... it probably is, now that I think about it. It just strikes me as odd that any game today's Habs participate in can be thought of as one of the biggest games ever... especially if they trap the whole game and it ends in a 1-1 tie with 20 total shots on goal
How does the style of a team have any impact on the importance of the game? That was a pretty ignorant statement. I guess game 7 of the 2001 and 2003 stanley cup finals meant nothing because New jersey trapped the whole game

Old
11-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Ignorent hockey fan, do you even watch NJ hockey or are you like the others who are under the impression Lemaire is still in NJ. We average 30 shots a game, 4th in the league. Cherry said we are very exciting. Did you watch the Pittsburgh NJ game tonight, a very exciting game with a great finish.
You can't trap the pens. If you just sick back and let the play come to you, the pens will never get it out of their own zone.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
They trap in the third when they have a lead, something every team in the league does. Untill then they are a fast forchecking team who create plenty of good scoring chances, becasue they are so good defensivly along with that they get a bad rep. Pretty lame IMO. They actually forcheck as good as Toronto, Dallas ect just the difference is they skate like hell back. Don't watch if you want, your missing great hockey.
There is nothing wrong with trapping. you make it sound like I think trapping is a bad thing. It wins games, so its a good thing. the devils use it, the devils win. Kudos to them. Montreal uses it, they win half the time roughly. They need to work at it a little bit before they can execute it on the same level as the devils. I can already tell though that you are against the trap the way you took offence to thats tatement.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
No, I don't mind traping but I hate being called boreing when the devils clearly arn't a boreing team. They trap in the thirds and win, i love them for that but first two periods are really exciting to watch.
Simply untrue. the Devils are boring to watch. Well, if your a devils fan you won't find it boring, as many people say the habs are boring yet I disagree. If the Devils score first, its game over. You can't say its because they are so dominant in terms of puck possession or that brodeur simply closes the door. The Devils simply just close the door and stifle the other team.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
It's not surprising to see this sort of thing since people tend to get pretty wrapped up in Burke bashing.

Your quote was as follows: "He has nothing to do with this game, so his opinion on what people involved with it feel mean's zilch." That statement is simply wrong.

And that's only one layer of it. Would you be whining about Burke's comments if it wasn't a habs player who he was talking about? You assume that Burke would change his tune if it was his team involved, yet at the same time one could accuse you of the exact same thing.
It appears you don't know wtf I'm talking about, and I certainly don't know wtf you're talking about in this post. Oh well, who really gives a rat's ass anyway. This is one of the dumbest threads in which I have ever participated.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
So if Vancouver plays Pittsburgh and lays a good old beating on the pens it isn't boring but when NJ is beating the hell out of them and Fleury is standing on his head it is boring......yes that makes sence.
I never said one team laying a sound thumping on another is exciting. I can appreciate good defensive hockey. Personally, outside of the playoffs, I'll find pretty much any game aside from one the habs are in to be boring. My passion just isn't there for me to care enough.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I never said one team laying a sound thumping on another is exciting. I can appreciate good defensive hockey. Personally, outside of the playoffs, I'll find pretty much any game aside from one the habs are in to be boring. My passion just isn't there for me to care enough.
If that's the case then obviously you're a Habs' fan only and NOT a hockey fan.

Closed Thread