HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Bowling Green Falcons

Old
06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
BluesBoy71

vCash: 585
Bowling Green Falcons

This is the official thread of the Bowling Green Falcons hockey team.

Honestly, I think that Bergeron has done a great job of turning the team around. We're lucky that we got him. DeSalvo and Freibergs are great prospects and there will be many more great things coming out of them, for sure.

BluesBoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Short Shorts

vCash: 500
It's going to be a fun season. I have high hopes; anything less than third in the WCHA would be a disappointment.

Inconsistency is probably our biggest hurdle to overcome. Case and point: last season, on Friday night, we battled Colgate to a 1-1 tie. Saturday night, we won 7-0. While our defense almost never gave up 4 goals in a night, our offense struggled to get more than a pair of goals half the season (while scoring 5+ the other half). I'd also like to see more playing time for Burke, where he plays Friday and Saturday.

Here's how I see the WCHA finishing this year:

1. Ferris
2. Mankato
3. BG
4. Tech
5. Fairbanks
6. Anchorage
7. Northern
8. Bemidji
9. Lake State
10. Huntsville

For NCAAs, either Ferris or Mankato should win the Final Five and auto qualify, while the other takes an at-large. If we can consistently take 3+ points in our series against the bottom half of the conference, we might be able to get an at-large, too. But this team is always a surprise when it comes to the playoffs (beating eventual National runner-up Ferris State in Big Rapids in the CCHA second round), so a Final Five win wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Anyway, this will be a great season! Roll Along!

Short Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
BGFalconHawks

Sweet a BG thread, I tried doing a WCHA thread last year but it was a bunch of work with not much interest after awhile. Will be nice to have a thread with some fellow Falcons.

Berg is always great to be around his comments inbetween periods in the office are great. I'm excited to see how the sophmores progress and hopefully Mingo can last a whole season. Reichart is the freshman that interests me that's a big guy with some skill it looks like. Also Hawkins if he can keep his scoring up like in the NAHL and USHL could put up some numbers that BG players haven't reached in awhile.

BGFalconHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
BGFalconHawks

Per Gordo:

Marcus Perrier is leaving BG and turning pro (AHL/ECHL) due to BG becoming a more mobile d corp. Also looks like the Mingo at D experiment will continue.

BGFalconHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Bonk

Miami guy here, but I became a big fan of Bowling Green when Berg got hired.

I'm looking forward to coming up in October for the Friday game, and I was curious if the rink renovations were done yet.

Miami hasn't been up there in like three years, but I always enjoy that trip.

Good luck this season!

Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Short Shorts

Renovations have been done since 2010. The main projects of that included new locker rooms, better lighting, and an auxiliary rink off of the main lobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk View Post
Miami hasn't been up there in like three years, but I always enjoy that trip.
The schools are less than 3 hours apart, yet whoever is scheduling games can't seem to put them together on a regular basis. I'm sure they'll play each other more when the "power" conferences of hockey realize there's no money to be made from traveling half a country to play conference games, and go back to geographic-based conferences. I'm confident the CCHA will re-emerge with BGSU, Miami, Western Mich, Ferris State, some or all of the Upper Peninsula teams, and a few eastern schools some time in the next 5 years.

Old
08-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Bonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Shorts View Post
Renovations have been done since 2010. The main projects of that included new locker rooms, better lighting, and an auxiliary rink off of the main lobby.

The schools are less than 3 hours apart, yet whoever is scheduling games can't seem to put them together on a regular basis. I'm sure they'll play each other more when the "power" conferences of hockey realize there's no money to be made from traveling half a country to play conference games, and go back to geographic-based conferences. I'm confident the CCHA will re-emerge with BGSU, Miami, Western Mich, Ferris State, some or all of the Upper Peninsula teams, and a few eastern schools some time in the next 5 years.
Glad to hear the renovations are done. Jeez, has it been that long since I've been up there?

Coach Blasi said last year the current model is unsustainable and there will be changes in the next five years. I agree that sanity will eventually take hold. In a perfect world I'd love to see the NCHC add Bowling Green and either Ferris or Notre Dame (once they get tired of flying to every single road game, which shouldn't take long) and form two divisions of five.

WEST
1. Colorado College
2. Denver
3. UM-Duluth
4. North Dakota
5. St. Cloud

EAST
1. Bowling Green
2. Ferris or Notre Dame
3. Miami
4. UNO
5. W. Michigan

Play every in your division four times and everyone in the opposite division twice for a 26-game league sked.

It's silly that Miami and BG haven't played in a couple of years but hopefully that was just because of previous contracts and the pair will meet annually. God knows neither school needs to fly out for another non-conference series.

Old
08-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Short Shorts

Quote:
It's silly that Miami and BG haven't played in a couple of years but hopefully that was just because of previous contracts and the pair will meet annually. God knows neither school needs to fly out for another non-conference series.
It's even more ridiculous to fly for in-conference series. BG will never join the NCHC, and Miami and Western are within a few years of leaving themselves.

Old
08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Bonk

Quote:
It's even more ridiculous to fly for in-conference series. BG will never join the NCHC, and Miami and Western are within a few years of leaving themselves.
Miami raised STH prices substantially for the additional travel and everyone paid it, so it's not a monetary issue. Not saying Miami wouldn't leave, but if they did it wouldn't be because of the expense.

Travel would be better for BG in the NCHC than it is now, no?

Old
09-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Short Shorts

Great win by the football team over the Whoosiers today! There was a ton of excitement going into the season before they p***ed it all away at Western Kentucky. Hopefully they can keep winning and pump up some more BG spirit for hockey season.

Old
10-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Short Shorts

Exhibition game today:

BG: 7
Simon Fraser: 2

The team got off to a rough start, tied 1-1 after 1, but scored 4 goals in the third. Lots of production came from the freshmen. But the best part? Watching live hockey again, of course.

Miami comes up from Oxford next Friday, with BG making the return trip on Sunday. Based on what I saw today, I'm confident we can win one and at least tie the other.

Old
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
StingraysFan

Quote:
I'm confident the CCHA will re-emerge with BGSU, Miami, Western Mich, Ferris State, some or all of the Upper Peninsula teams, and a few eastern schools some time in the next 5 years.
CCHA is not coming back and Miami and WMU would be fools to leave the NCHC for a conference with Ferris and UP schools. Whatever fantasy conference BG fans are hoping for would not have a TV contract because CBSSN and NBCSN would stay with NCHC and HE and Big Ten has BTN/ESPN. No way Miami leaves a conference with a bona fide TV contract that's expanding with high resource schools for a conference with no TV contract and Ferris, Robert Morris, and whatever leftovers.

There is a much better chance that the NCHC expands and WMU and Miami push to invite BG in the east. (maybe Iowa State or Arizona State in the West).

StingraysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2014, 06:46 PM
StingraysFan

Quote:
Miami raised STH prices substantially for the additional travel and everyone paid it, so it's not a monetary issue. Not saying Miami wouldn't leave, but if they did it wouldn't be because of the expense.

Travel would be better for BG in the NCHC than it is now, no?
Its just non-sense from BG fans that are still upset they were left out of the NCHC. Nobody on Miami's side discusses this as even a remote possibility.

Old
10-05-2014, 06:48 PM
StingraysFan

Quote:
I'm confident the CCHA will re-emerge with BGSU, Miami, Western Mich, Ferris State, some or all of the Upper Peninsula teams, and a few eastern schools some time in the next 5 years.
CCHA is not coming back and Miami and WMU would be fools to leave the NCHC for a conference with Ferris and UP schools. Whatever fantasy conference BG fans are hoping for would not have a TV contract because CBSSN and NBCSN would stay with NCHC and HE and Big Ten has BTN/ESPN. No way Miami leaves a conference with a bona fide TV contract that's expanding with high resource schools for a conference with no TV contract and Ferris, Robert Morris, and whatever leftovers.

There is a much better chance that the NCHC expands and WMU and Miami push to invite BG in the east. (maybe Iowa State or Arizona State in the West).

Old
10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Short Shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingraysFan View Post

Miami and Western have to fly everywhere except each other. There's no college hockey TV market big enough to support that kind of travel unless you're the B1G or Notre Dame. It doesn't matter if a new CCHA doesn't get TV airtime, the MAC schools and Ferris will lose less money. And BG will go east before they join the NCHC.

Here's a good article about impending realignment, specifically regarding some of the eastern schools: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ni...hange-20141005

Old
10-12-2014, 08:56 AM
BluesBoy71

vCash: 585
Huge win ove Miami!

BluesBoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote