HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: Predators at Blackhawks 10-12

Old
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
We lost this game after the failed 5-3 PP.
wholeheartedly agree ... this team needs a soul sacrifice

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
gimme an olands
wha

from a hawks fan, good game guys.

kariya played well tonight.
always respected nashville.

still not sure if this is actually chicago i am watching out there.

gimme an olands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the shots are misleading. a lot of that was weak, unscreened stuff that khabby had no trouble with. the power play is frustrating right now...the PK doesn't have to work all that hard when you play catch on the perimeter, looking for the holy grail cross crease tip in. the 5-3 was almost comical, and after the hawks made it 2-1, all the gas was gone. surprisingly passive for being only a goal down with several minutes to get it even.

not the start we imagined, huh?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't panick, we're close to putting this together, we're still searching for our identity, we'll still take the division.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Stranger

I'm not going to go gloom and doom now, we still have alot of games left.

I just can't believe the huge difference in the games. All offense/no defense the first two games, to better on defense but total lack of creativity on offense.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:32 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Did the Hawks D actually play alright? We don't get to watch... Khabi posted crazy numbers, but did he earn them?

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Did the Hawks D actually play alright? We don't get to watch... Khabi posted crazy numbers, but did he earn them?
the hawks d looked pretty good, actually. there were a couple brainfarts, but overall i was impressed. khabibulin was good when he had to be, but overall, he wasn't made to work very much.

Old
10-12-2006, 11:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He made some good saves on Hartnell and legwand and couple on Erat. He did his job tonight.

Predators played too conservative tonight. Reminded me of the playoffs.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:41 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Maybe we're having our annual March slump now in October. Better to figure things out in the first 3 games than in the last 15.

Mason played well, so did Legwand. Just no finish for guys tonight. Better defense and PK.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Maybe we're having our annual March slump now in October. Better to figure things out in the first 3 games than in the last 15.

Mason played well, so did Legwand. Just no finish for guys tonight. Better defense and PK.

Quoted for rememberance in April.

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Olaf

Quote:
I'm not going to go gloom and doom now, we still have alot of games left.

I just can't believe the huge difference in the games. All offense/no defense the first two games, to better on defense but total lack of creativity on offense.
I really think this team is going to be fine....with the new faces, the new leadership, the youngsters expanded roles on D....and a short training camp. It is just going to take a few more games to build some chemistry, although they should play with desperation vs. the Yotes to get that first W.. Just hope Vokoun looks to be his normal self on Sat. night.

Legwand has been terrific in all 3 games. He is our only center who is able to carry the puck deep and still get back on D.
Vasicek reminds be of Kjellberg, good size...in position...but somehow finds a way to be soft.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
I really think this team is going to be fine....with the new faces, the new leadership, the youngsters expanded roles on D....and a short training camp. It is just going to take a few more games to build some chemistry, although they should play with desperation vs. the Yotes to get that first W.. Just hope Vokoun looks to be his normal self on Sat. night.

Legwand has been terrific in all 3 games. He is our only center who is able to carry the puck deep and still get back on D.
Vasicek reminds be of Kjellberg, good size...in position...but somehow finds a way to be soft.
what leadership? ... no leader on this team has either a) lead by example or b) talked the talk

that was my first impression of him as well Olaf ... he's softer than tissue paper ... I honestly think we'd be better off with Smithson as our 3rd line center and Nichol as our 4th line center ... but that's just me

Old
10-13-2006, 12:08 PM
dulzhok

This is typical of teams that have huge changes. We have 3 new starters on D, all of whom have minimal NHL experience. We have lots of new faces at forward. Iím concerned, but we are a better team than this.

We do need an experienced dman to play big minutes. I doubt we will make the playoffs if we use are current group of dman for the remainder of the season.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We do need an experienced dman to play big minutes. I doubt we will make the playoffs if we use are current group of dman for the remainder of the season.
I'm not sure if we would miss the playoffs, as I think they're going to get better as the season goes on (how many points would we lose because of this though..). But I agree, a good veteran defenseman would be a great benefit to this team.

Old
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
As Trig {I believe} mentioned in another thread,

This is also a new situation for Trotz. He has never coached a team with this much firepower and potential.

A huge question that will be answered this season: althought Trotz was a great expansion coach, can he take the helm of a contender ship or will he sink into the abyss?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
As Trig {I believe} mentioned in another thread,

This is also a new situation for Trotz. He has never coached a team with this much firepower and potential.

A huge question that will be answered this season: althought Trotz was a great expansion coach, can he take the helm of a contender ship or will he sink into the abyss?
I think we'll find that out alot sooner rather than later

Old
10-13-2006, 02:56 PM
dulzhok

I don't see any coach who can could make this defense into a contending team. We've been setting ourselves up for this for the last 2 years... and now we have way too much inexpirence on D. Poile should have been smarter. At the very minimum, he could've easily signed Eaton to a reasonable extention before the year was out.

Our forward group.. YES, they are contending caliber. Our goalie, HOPEFULLY YES. But as others have proved (Nabakov, Khabibulin, etc), many goalies stuggled to play at an elite level for an extended period period of time. Our defense... NOT CLOSE!

Trotz should rightfully take blame if this team doesn't produce, but Poile should take some heat as well for going into the season with ONE defensmen who has more than 2 years of NHL expirence. That's not what contenders are made of.

Old
10-13-2006, 02:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i think if the defense continues to struggle, they'll make a deal to bring someone in. they know how important this season is.

Old
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
i think if the defense continues to struggle, they'll make a deal to bring someone in. they know how important this season is.
IF it is ChrisT ... I think I'll hang myself ... why can't they make a legit move on this side of the puck instead of "playing the kids" ... you were right Eaton SHOULD have been kept around

Old
10-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I don't see any coach who can could make this defense into a contending team. We've been setting ourselves up for this for the last 2 years... and now we have way too much inexpirence on D. Poile should have been smarter. At the very minimum, he could've easily signed Eaton to a reasonable extention before the year was out.

Our forward group.. YES, they are contending caliber. Our goalie, HOPEFULLY YES. But as others have proved (Nabakov, Khabibulin, etc), many goalies stuggled to play at an elite level for an extended period period of time. Our defense... NOT CLOSE!

Trotz should rightfully take blame if this team doesn't produce, but Poile should take some heat as well for going into the season with ONE defensmen who has more than 2 years of NHL expirence. That's not what contenders are made of.
I can agree with this. Poile took a gamble, and right now, it looks like a bad one. To be honest, its not necessarily the experience of the guys we have as much as the types - Zidlicky and Kimmo are huge risk takers....and we need them to be more than that at the moment.

10-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Stranger

Even our more experienced guys have been playing bad. I don't think its fair to blame this all on experience yet. Kimmo has been one of our worst defenders so far and he has the most experience. Its just been all around bad defensive play.

And yes I would have kept around Eaton, but perhaps he didn't want to sign here.

Even if we would have had a more experienced defenseman on the blue line, he still couldn't have played for all of our defensemen. He might have stopped a few chances, but lets face it, its basicaly been an all around crap fest on blue line.

However, last game was a good step in the right direction.

Old
10-13-2006, 04:14 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think there is something to the notion of the gamble on young D.

As fans we have waited so long to be viable contenders we have little patience at this point to let the staff right the ship. Even if you don't have confidence Trotz is the answer, Peterson is a really smart guy that could be a head coach somewhere. As painful as these losses may seem to us, perhaps this dose of adversity can bond the team tightly together now and make everybody play the correct role. I do think this D squad can be hugely better after some games with good coaching. This is where the staff (and the player) has to earn their pay.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 04:28 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Even our more experienced guys have been playing bad. I don't think its fair to blame this all on experience yet. Kimmo has been one of our worst defenders so far and he has the most experience. Its just been all around bad defensive play.
True... but the reality is that our "expirenced" guys (Kimmo, Zid, Hamhuis) really aren't built to carry a team in the defensive end. Kimmo is "pretty good" in the defense end, but shouldn't be counted on to carry the team defensively. Purely offensively, Kimmo is a #1 dman. Defensively, Kimmo is a #3-4 dman. Zidlciky... Offensively, is a #1 dman. Defensively, is a #5-6 dman who makes a couple of boneheaded defensive plays a game. Hammer is probably a #3-4 dman right now, and yes, he's still on the learning curve.

We were able to somewhat balance out things last year with Eaton and Markov (still, we weren't great defensively). Yes, our young guys can improve, but I really don't think we are going to be able to find any kind of balance in our defensive game this year with the current d-corps.

Old
10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Stranger

Quote:
True... but the reality is that our "expirenced" guys (Kimmo, Zid, Hamhuis) really aren't built to carry a team in the defensive end. Kimmo is "pretty good" in the defense end, but shouldn't be counted on to carry the team defensively. Purely offensively, Kimmo is a #1 dman. Defensively, Kimmo is a #3-4 dman. Zidlciky... Offensively, is a #1 dman. Defensively, is a #5-6 dman who makes a couple of boneheaded defensive plays a game. Hammer is probably a #3-4 dman right now, and yes, he's still on the learning curve.

We were able to somewhat balance out things last year with Eaton and Markov (still, we weren't great defensively). Yes, our young guys can improve, but I really don't think we are going to be able to find any kind of balance in our defensive game this year with the current d-corps.
I agree with this, my point was more towards adding one guy won't fix things automatically without the others improving too. I do think that adding a more experienced physical defenseman would help us out. I can only see our current defense getting better. Adding a solid player would only help us. The key is what guy to get and when to get them. I doubt any team is going to part with someone so early in the season. I don't think we'll see a trade until around December at the earliest, unless we overpay alot.

Old
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Pred303

late as usual, comments intended for NP.com so may or may not be intended for use on hf..

there are some things that it's possible that man simply wasn't meant to know... like a unified string theory of relativity, what a woman really means when she says "nevermind", and exactly why hockey goes like it goes sometimes... right now, every mistake we make winds up in the back of our net... virtually every mistake... last night being another example.. it's a shame because mason played a heck of a solid game too..

a few observations..

..no matter what the scoresheet says, we only had one line show up last night. hartnell-legwand-upshall. they were there every shift, all night. harts had a tough night. two passes from legwand gave him two sure goals if he can get the blade of his stick on the puck. criticize legwand all you want for him not 'shooting' on the 2 on 1, but he makes the perfect play by getting the puck to hartnell, even though the pass has to be a saucer pass and it hops over his stick. this was a sure goal. as was the other one that hartnell almost swung and missed on. score these two goals, and we're all celebrating this morning. it was like that all game long for this line.
..it's a simple fact of life, that chicago's acquisitions have improved them relatively more than our acquisitions. of course to relatively improve was much easier for chicago. havlat and handzus were two great pick ups for this team, and in any close game makes them a dangerous team. havlat especially.
..zidlicky. sigh. what a horrible read on the 2 on 2. horrible. normally you can point to at least two plays or failures (in fact normally three failings) that led to an enemy score. not on this one. it was basically all on zids on goal one.
..our pp looks like crap, and there's no excuse for it to with the personnel we have. we simply aren't attacking the net with our first unit. entirely too passive and perimeter oriented. any real threat we had on the pp was from the 2nd unit, who only got 1:40 pp time out of our total of 8:33. that's because hartnell is attacking and driving the net and being aggressive and making things happen (almost). the first unit with 6 minutes of pp time and no real threat, not even on the critical 5 on 3.
..we of course had this game square in our hands. after tieing it up, the pressure we put on, drawing the penalties and 1:25 of 5 on 3 time. we had the game all but won right here. no excuse for this not to be the best 5 on 3 team in the league, and we go out and are so 'patient' that we never really threaten to score on it, because we are trying to be so perfect and cute. lots of blame here, the basic fault lies in that we didn't back the defenders down from the points. that's what you do out front in this situation, you slower work each pass in closer and force defenders back on their heals. instead we play pattycake out by the blueline passing the puck back and forth. no one driving the net. wings looking for the highlight reel crosscrease pass. we simply need to be more bluecollar at times. when we didn't score here, like usually happens it changed the game momentum totally back to them. 5 on 3's are like shorthanded goals, the result changes the game more times than not.
..i have seen sullivan play worse games. but i have NEVER seen him be as much of an invisible man as he was last night. 21 1/2 minutes, and other than the one time he got three little shots in about 5 seconds on one of the pp's down on the post where he simply had no real chance to score on khabibulin.. other than that superquick flurry of shots, the guy simply didn't touch the puck the remainder of the game.
..kariya. pretty much the same. sure he made a fine play on our goal and once he drew a penalty walking off the boards. but other than those two brief flashes he too was invisible. trotz was frantically shuffling the line pairings late in the game, but nothing really seemed to get any of the key players involved. i expect there to be major line shakeups going into saturday night, and there should be.
..erat had two great scoring chances. especially the breakin where khabibulin somehow kicked it away as it was getting thru the 5 hole. but still i wouldn't say he had a strong game
..arnott. great shot. good read to get to the open area to get the shot. lots of little chances late, but the guy seems to be really struggling right now fitting into the offense. has to use that size a little more, seems to be trying to play more of a finesse game, maybe because he's out there with other finesse guys... we have to get him involved more playing the type of game he should be playing.
...vasicek. he appears kind of lost at times. thought he didn't hustle as much as he could of getting over to cut off his guy breaking in the zone on the gamewinner. any pressure from vasicek would have prevented that centering pass. a forward worse -4 in 3 games kind of shows he's struggling. not sure he is the guy to have centering either of our top two lines yet.
...was just what i worried about after 4 days of screaming at everyone that they had to be think defense first. we come out and are flatfooted offensively and really fail to carry the attack to them because we're about a split second behind making the transition to offense from defense. really, really showed in period one, where we proved if we don't carry the attack to the other team to take pressure off our end that the other team will dominate us in our end. afterwards we pressed the attack a tad better, but it just seemed we were always a step slower than usual.
..the pk actually played quite well. notice the pk time played for the d-men. suter 4:47, timonen 4:20, lehtonen 3:06, hamhuis 2:54, weber 0:53.. so less time for hamhuis and weber.. lehtonen certainly didn't look out of place back there in his time either.. legwand (3:33) and smithson (3:24) i thought looked especially good out front last night.. upshall too in his shorter pk time (1:44).. one thing that must be said is that last year mason was a better pk goalie than vokoun %-wise... you tend to think of athletic goalies doing better than positional type goalies on the pp, but that wasn't the case for us last year.. mason looks pretty dang good on the pk in general i've noticed and last night was no different
...zidlicky now is 579th in the league in +/- for the year at -5.. out of 579 skaters that have played.. actually he's tied for last place with two other guys, Jeremy Roenick, and Petr Nedved... but those two have played 4 games while zids has only played our 3. who says we aren't leading the league in something? (well of course vasicek at -4 is tied with many a couple of spots above)

..you of course begin to worry about pressure and how it affects a team with such high expectations. you also begin to worry how any prolonged losing streak right here might hurt attendance for the entire year. in the grand scheme of things a three game losing streak is inconsequential of course. however, doing it to start the year certainly changes how we all view it. it makes us all less willing to accept it, it makes us all jumpier this time of year. i willingly admit 3 games is nothing, however losing 8 of 10 isn't nothing and it's these type of fears that eat at us all, the unknown and unknowable. but it's nothing that a 5 game win streak wouldn't fix entirely. now if the team that i know is there can just show up starting saturday, maybe i'll actually be able to enjoy watching other teams play hockey on centerice. this losing streak makes me not even enjoy watching other games right now which is a real shame.

on the bright side, it has to get better from here.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote