HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBA: Contraction

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 08:17 AM
-(v)atrix-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizerScotty
Make it easy.

Get rid of teams that average less than 15,500 per game.
So once the Canucks misses the playoffs, and their back to averageing less than 15 000 a game, we can get rid of them too.

Old
11-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
What the hell do you mean by "the Pens are as legitimate as the Blues if not more."????
Hmmm....

Old
11-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay

Phoenix
Calgary (maybe Oilers can then survive)
Anaheim

Old
11-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
florida and/or tampa bay, nashville and carolina

Old
11-22-2003, 09:25 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Hmmm....
So what you're saying is that you can claim that the Penguins are more 'legitimate' than the Blues but you can't explain what that means? I guess I should expect that since it took me asking over a dozen people to give me directions from downtown Pittsburgh to Mellon Arena. Real big fans you have there.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:51 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay

Phoenix
Calgary (maybe Oilers can then survive)
Anaheim
I hate these threads, since we don't know the NHL revenues and costs. And contraction is not a league choice, but an Owner choice.

Anyway, my one thought is this (about the Calgary-Edmonton situation) how much money does Edmonton have to back there team compared to Calgary? Not a whole lot. How many more fans do the Oilers average? Not many. If Calgary made the playoffs would the money start rolling in? For sure. I'm a huge Flames fan, and I would rage if the Oilers or Flames moved, but I just don't see the Flames moving or being contracted before Edmonton, but I really hope neither happens.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Those threads are always useless. I gotta agree with the poster who said it's usually an excuse for angry people to list franchises they don't like.

A couple of points:

1-I don't think 30 teams is necessarly too many. I do think however the jump from 21 to 30 teams was done too quickly. This should have been done over twice that time period if not more. We've experienced a rate of almost one expansion team per year and it just looks VERY bad. It's not a healthy expansion process. We just got over it 4-5 years ago so naturally, we are still feeling the effects of it.

2-If there is ever a need for contraction, your favorite team's record will be absolutely irrelevant. Nobody cares if you've missed the playoffs only three years or if you won two cups. This is all largely irrelevant.

3-If we had to choose 6 teams, there is no real need to cut three in the West and three in the East. Conferences can be re-arranged after the contraction occurs. Wings can easily jump in the Eastern Conference if there is a need to do so, for instance.

4-The next CBA will of course be key. I suspect if the new deal cannot allow all the current franchises to survive, we will see a move first before contraction. I think all parties want to see 30 franchises remain so they will look at that option first and if it doesn't work, we'll see some teams go.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Evilo

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you can claim that the Penguins are more 'legitimate' than the Blues but you can't explain what that means? I guess I should expect that since it took me asking over a dozen people to give me directions from downtown Pittsburgh to Mellon Arena. Real big fans you have there.
What I answered by "hmm" was that I really don't see what's hard to understand.
Again I think the Pens are as legitimate if not more to stay in the laegue than the Blues.
I think it's quite simple.
Also Mellon Arena is awfully easy to find in Pittsburgh.
Sorry you can't read a map.
Kinda expected this from you though.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:26 AM
degroat*

Quote:
What I answered by "hmm" was that I really don't see what's hard to understand.
Again I think the Pens are as legitimate if not more to stay in the laegue than the Blues.
I think it's quite simple.
That's funny...

Perhaps you could explain to all of us the difference between the following two statements:

"The Pens are as legitimate if not more to stay in the league than the Blues"

and

"The Blues would be contracted before the Penguins"

They sure sound like the same thing to me, but you claimed I couldn't read when I assumed you meant the 2nd sentence which to normal people means the exact same thing as the 1st.

Anyway... I'm glad we all know what you meant by that legitimate nonsense because know we all know for sure that you're wrong. Since you don't quite get it, I'll explain it to you again:

Blues:
Billionairre owner.
New arena.
Great attendence

Penguins:
Poor owner
Old Arena
Mediocre attendence

Yes, you're right when you say that the Penguins would be no where near the contraction list IF they had a billionairre owner. However, they don't. So, to say the Penguins would be safer than the Blues simply because of Mario Lemieux and the two Cups they won because of that one player is, to put in nicely, really really stupid.

Quote:
Also Mellon Arena is awfully easy to find in Pittsburgh.
Sorry you can't read a map.
Kinda expected this from you though.
My mistake was not buying a map and assuming that the people of Pittsburgh were big enough fans to be able to point me in the direction of the arena.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Those threads are always useless. I gotta agree with the poster who said it's usually an excuse for angry people to list franchises they don't like.
Agree on both counts. I expect every hostile newbie to post one of these threads like it's some brilliant new idea only they have thought of, but I'm surprised someone who's been around for a while posted one.

Gotta agree with you Vlad that the league went from 21 to 30 WAY too fast. The owners just wanted those expansion fees and didn't think at all about the consequences.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Evilo

Quote:
That's funny...

Perhaps you could explain to all of us the difference between the following two statements:

"The Pens are as legitimate if not more to stay in the league than the Blues"

and

"The Blues would be contracted before the Penguins"

They sure sound like the same thing to me, but you claimed I couldn't read when I assumed you meant the 2nd sentence which to normal people means the exact same thing as the 1st.

Anyway... I'm glad we all know what you meant by that legitimate nonsense because know we all know for sure that you're wrong. Since you don't quite get it, I'll explain it to you again:

Blues:
Billionairre owner.
New arena.
Great attendence

Penguins:
Poor owner
Old Arena
Mediocre attendence

Yes, you're right when you say that the Penguins would be no where near the contraction list IF they had a billionairre owner. However, they don't. So, to say the Penguins would be safer than the Blues simply because of Mario Lemieux and the two Cups they won because of that one player is, to put in nicely, really really stupid.

My mistake was not buying a map and assuming that the people of Pittsburgh were big enough fans to be able to point me in the direction of the arena.
1/ Nope. I was answering a guy that contracted Pittsburgh but not St Louis.
I answered I didn't think Pittsburgh was less legitimate than St Louis.
I never said St Louis woulld be contracted.
2/ Arena, attendance, etc.... NOW. It wasn't always this way...
You have such a short memory that you only remember the last few years?
3/ I didn't say the Pens were "safer". Indeed there aren't many teams that few "safe" in thea legue right now. But I mean they are LEGITIMATE.
And I will be really, really stupid again stating that hockey history and memories make as much legitimacy than financial wealth (though I think St Louis is in fact losing money each year).

Old
11-23-2003, 10:05 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
We need to contract the Flyers, Lightning, and Avalanche, so that the Habs can refill their stock of French Canadien superstars with Gagne, Lecavalier, St Louis, and Tanguay.

I was just kidding, of course, but we'd have no more trapping in Habland.

This is the first time I've joined in one of these discussions, but I'd love to see Winnipeg back. If there were fewer teams in the league, than the quality of the game would just rise so much. There are so many players in the league that shouldn't be around. Guy Lafleur said himself that with less teams, there would be an overall higher level of talent for each team. I'm not talking about every team becoming the Rangers, but when a team has guys like Chad Kilger, Tom Fitzgerald, and Trent Klatt playing on their top two lines, there may be some pretty big problems currently.

California really doesn't need half the ammount of team's that Canada has. Anaheim, despite their playoff success, could be much better in Winnipeg, or even Quebec city. With Giguere in between the pipes, they would sell plenty of tickets as the Nordiques. And, with Theodore and Giguere battling it out, we would have a much renewed battle of Quebec.

Sorry to any Sabres fans, but I'd love to see your team scoot over to Winnipeg. Even if they don't have the greatest stadium right now, they could play their games outside. We know how succesful that is . Manitoba really needs a team again. Brandon did a fine job with the World Juniors.

I'd probably get rid of the Capitals. Mind you, I'm not sold on the Islanders or Devils. They can hardly even draw fans when they're playing the Leafs. People mention Chicago as a team with troubles. True, but with contraction the lesser skilled players would be wiped out, and the 'Hawks would be much improved.

With Washington, Buffalo and Anaheim gone or moved, I'd like to see one more team shuffled around. Phoenix is a good choice, but with Gretz handling things, and a new arena on the way I think good things could come from them. Nashville and Colombus need to stay, too. The Preds just hosted the draft, and with Nash, Denis and Zherdev in Colombus they will soon become a popular attraction.

Carolina would probably be the other team that I'd contract. Atlanta, Florida, and Tampa Bay will be ruling the Southern parts. It has to be near impossible to step on the ice every night with nobody there.

Now, that's three teams from the Eastern Conference and one from the west. Even though I only contracted two teams, I think the relocation of Washington and Anaheim would do wonders. You could even take it a step further and maybe drop San Jose and New Jersey.

NORTH CONF.

Northwest
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Minnesota
Winnipeg

Northeast
Montreal
Boston
Quebec
NY Rangers
NY Islanders

North Central
Detroit
Toronto
New Jersey
Ottawa

SOUTHERN CONF.

South Central
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Nashville
Columbus

Southwest
Colorado
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Dallas

Southeast
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
St Louis
Florida

Old
11-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
People contracting Pittsburgh need to be shot. The team has a rich 37 year history, not a 2 year history.

Closed Thread