HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

High Time for a New Arena

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
High Time for a New Arena

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...9648566410.xml

Devils' Lamoriello: We need new arena

Friday, November 21, 2003

BY RICH CHERE
Star-Ledger Staff
"We're doing everything in our minds we possibly can do other than to give tickets away, which we cannot do," Lamoriello said. "That was the reason Dr. (John) McMullen sold the team. We need a new facility, something the present ownership is working very hard at. Renovation of this building is not the answer."

While the public perception is that plans for a new arena in Newark are virtually dead, Lamoriello said that isn't so.

"No, I think they're going to get it," he said. "I don't want to get into the details, but I say that with a good feeling."

Lamoriello refused to elaborate.

Plans to finance a proposed arena in Newark appear to remain stalled -- despite an offer of $200 million in public subsidies -- in large part because the owners of the Devils and Nets have refused to provide the rest of the money needed to complete the project.

In recent months, Marc Berson, a friend of Devils principal owner Raymond Chambers, has been trying to create a plan that would steer tax money from development around the arena to flow to the teams. However, Newark officials will not provide more than $200 million. Also, Gov. James E. McGreevey favors renovating Continental Airlines Arena, where he has proposed a $150 million rail link.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Niedermayer21

vCash: 500
If they build a new arena in Hoboken, or even Newark, along a train route, they will come. And so will I.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
NewarkDevil

I believe my opinions on this subject are obvious.

Old
11-22-2003, 02:18 PM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
If they build a new arena in Hoboken, or even Newark, along a train route, they will come. And so will I.
Hoboken simply will not happen. Dr. McMullen already tried to build a new arena there with HIS OWN money. When the state nixed the idea because of lack of infrastucture (aka too much traffic) he decided to sell the team. imo the only option is Newark. From what I understand, the proposed site in Newark is near Newark Penn Station so it would be easy to get to via public train and bus transportation. CAA is proving to be wothless, Lou knows it and so does everyone else.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:14 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJD
Hoboken simply will not happen. Dr. McMullen already tried to build a new arena there with HIS OWN money. When the state nixed the idea because of lack of infrastructure (aka too much traffic)...
Dr. McMullen wanted to build the arena right above the Path Station, I believe. That would have been too big of a problem. It is hard to get through Hoboken without a major sporting event.

Newark would be a great spot to get to from a lot of places in Northern New Jersey. I am sure anyone living in Lodi might not like the longer trip to the game, but it would make it a quicker trip for fans in Monmouth County, Morris County and Essex County.

The problem is the finances. But I think that the team and the state are both keeping a lid on proceedings so as to not flame anti-arena sentiments among the electorate. Maybe the Devils will get a new state-of-the-art rink.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:55 AM
BigMac1212

If I can get AutoCAD 2004, I could design a new arena for you. I believe that New Jersey deserves a new arena. CAA is in a terrible position for commuters to get to. I hope I can help you guys.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:56 AM
NewarkDevil

How would you rate 2004 versus Release 14?

Old
11-24-2003, 09:07 AM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Also, Gov. James E. McGreevey favors renovating Continental Airlines Arena, where he has proposed a $150 million rail link..
...Then why not the same amount of money towards an arena in a metropolitan area?
}:-)>
PS - So, how is AutoCAD 2004?

Old
11-24-2003, 11:28 AM
BigMac1212

I haven't gotten it yet. This will be my first time using a CAD program. Sorry for the confusion.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:37 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212
I haven't gotten it yet. This will be my first time using a CAD program. Sorry for the confusion.
Just kidding - didn't mean to put undue pressure on ya...
The highest version I ever used was R13 (yeah, that was a while ago)...but they're pretty righteous.
}:-)>

Old
11-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Tbg1515

Not only would a new arena in Newark be great, It would also rejuvanate the City, They could bring in new restaurants such as Hollihans, Fridays, etc. so people could go to get something to eat before the games.......In my opinion it would be easy to get to on train and even if you drive, so the state would make money with parking, and trains.......

Old
11-25-2003, 04:18 AM
NewarkDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212
Heh, no problem. Just curious. I haven't used CAD in some 3 years or so, but Release 14 was pretty good and seemed to be the standard for a long while. Tell us how you fare with '04

Closed Thread