HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In praise of Pleks

Old
10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
22SteveBegin22

vCash: 500
In praise of Pleks

I have really enjoyed watching him look more and more like he deserves to be a 2nd-line center, and we're only a week into the season. If you watch him especially when he doesn't have the puck, he does almost all the little things right... and it makes me not miss Ribs even more than I already don't miss Ribs.

It's like he has the hockey sense of Sundstrom, but with more talent so he can actually use it.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
I have really enjoyed watching him look more and more like he deserves to be a 2nd-line center, and we're only a week into the season. If you watch him especially when he doesn't have the puck, he does almost all the little things right... and it makes me not miss Ribs even more than I already don't miss Ribs.

It's like he has the hockey sense of Sundstrom, but with more talent so he can actually use it.
You're describing the perfect 3rd line center, which is what Plekanec should be. He doesn't have the offensive instinct to be a 2nd line center, at least, not yet.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
You're describing the perfect 3rd line center, which is what Plekanec should be. He doesn't have the offensive instinct to be a 2nd line center, at least, not yet.
Agreed. I wish Gainey could've got something done for Lang...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Captain Saku

do you guys see Handzus as a possible deal for one of our defenceman when Bouillon is back as a 2nd line center ?

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Amen !

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuCKoivu View Post
do you guys see Handzus as a possible deal for one of our defenceman when Bouillon is back as a 2nd line center ?
Nope, Handzus is doing good in Chicago...

Old
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
znk

Quote:
Why in the world would Chicago trade him?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
kostybros

Quote:
pleks maybe is a 3rd line center on another team but he's still the second best we have. He's gonna get 60pts + and people will say I told he was a good for 2nd line...

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Handzus is Chicago's second best forward at the moment. They won't trade him unless it's for something good.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Patience He will soon be potting goals

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Patience He will soon be potting goals
I agree he'll be good enough some day, maybe a few years down the road. However, I would prefer he played on the 3rd line until he's ready for that role. All in the name of having a better team right away.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
sonnytheman

Personally, I think that Pleks is a Brendan Morrison/Steve Rucchin player, the kind of centre who should be with higher skilled players. That's the type of centre won't put up the big points, but will help make the line go. So yeah, I think he is a 2nd line centre

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman View Post
Personally, I think that Pleks is a Brendan Morrison/Steve Rucchin player, the kind of centre who should be with higher skilled players. That's the type of centre won't put up the big points, but will help make the line go. So yeah, I think he is a 2nd line centre
Morrison has better vision, creativity and passing skills than Pleks...However he isn't as good in the corners nor as good defensively. Two different types of players. Imo, Pleks doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 2nd line center in the NHL and likely never will. If it wasn't for our lack of depth down the middle, he might have never got the chance. To me, he's a mediocre 2nd liner but a great 3rd liner.

Old
10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Morrison has better vision, creativity and passing skills than Pleks...However he isn't as good in the corners nor as good defensively. Two different types of players. Imo, Pleks doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 2nd line center in the NHL and likely never will. If it wasn't for our lack of depth down the middle, he might have never got the chance. To me, he's a mediocre 2nd liner but a great 3rd liner.
agree.. guys like Perreault and Ribeiro were quality second line material but Gainey has been too stupid to not resign and trade them...

Pleks will finnish the year with 65-70 pts and shut your mouths for good.

He is the best second line center we had for about 10 years and he is doing a pretty good overall job.. The pts will come!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Agreed. I wish Gainey could've got something done for Lang...
The Wings wouldm't accept Zednik or Ribeiro in return.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:15 PM
BLONG7

Could Johnson move up to centre the second line? Could be an option if Pleks can't handle it on the second trio...but I think Pleks-Kovy-Samy will be fine, we just have to have some patience...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
!nkubus

Plekanec is going to be a solid second line center. Just give time to Kovy and Sammy to understand how he work. Plecanek is a hard worker and loves to battle for the puck in the corners.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Wings wouldm't accept Zednik or Ribeiro in return.
You act as though that's all we have to offer.

Old
10-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
agree.. guys like Perreault and Ribeiro were quality second line material but Gainey has been too stupid to not resign and trade them...

Pleks will finnish the year with 65-70 pts and shut your mouths for good.

He is the best second line center we had for about 10 years and he is doing a pretty good overall job.. The pts will come!
Perrault is a 20 goal scorer and a 65pt man and one of the top 5 faceoff men in the NHL (arguably the best)...You're telling me that Plekanec is 100% for sure better offensively? Your crystal ball might be a little defective. Oh and again, their's no doubt that Ribeiro is better than Pleks offensively...anyone who doesn't see it is blind.

Old
10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
habslife

Quote:
Oh and again, their's no doubt that Ribeiro is better than Pleks offensively...anyone who doesn't see it is blind.
I second that!

habslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:

Ribs had the chance to impose himself, give Plek the same time and you'll eat your words with ketchup my friend...BTW the sooner you'll get over Ribs, the sooner you'll appreciate Plek's game.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post

What about recoveing the puck on the forecheck? Boy does he ever have great hockey sense, great positioning down low and a nose for recovering that puck!

He already is and will remain more effective than Ribeiro, even offensively.

Quote:
Everybody has to learn. He has the potential. There is no denying that. As said after the first game of the preseason, it's his turn to be given that chance and I speculate that he will start to show the results in very short order. My observations are that his offensive upside is much greater than people give him credit for.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
SpreeEndaz

Let's try the NHL 07 mentality:

Higgins (SNP) - Koivu (PLY) - Ryder (SNP)
Perezhogin (SNP) - Kovalev (PLY) - Latendresse (PWF)
Samsonov (PLY) - Bonk (GRN) - Johnson (GRN)
Downey (GRN) - Plekanec (PLY) - Begin (GRN)

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
Ribs had the chance to impose himself, give Plek the same time and you'll eat your words with ketchup my friend...BTW the sooner you'll get over Ribs, the sooner you'll appreciate Plek's game.
I love Pleks and I think he's one of our 5 most valuable forwards...However I don't think he's ever going to be more than a great 3rd liner and mediocre to good (with time) 2nd liner. Hope he proves me wrong...cuz he is a great player.

Old
10-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Let's try the NHL 07 mentality:

Higgins (SNP) - Koivu (PLY) - Ryder (SNP)
Perezhogin (SNP) - Kovalev (PLY) - Latendresse (PWF)
Samsonov (PLY) - Bonk (GRN) - Johnson (GRN)
Downey (GRN) - Plekanec (PLY) - Begin (GRN)
Lol Bonk and Johnson are 2 of the furthest players from being Grinders.