HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mathieu Garon....?

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 12:03 PM
go_habs_go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Mathieu Garon....?

What do you think the Montreal Canadiens could get back in return for goaltender Mathieu Garon?

Old
11-21-2003, 12:08 PM
StanleyCH25

He's a backup goaltender who hasn't proven anything yet. So chances are they wouldn't be able to get all that much at this point other than some prospects or another draft pick and I wouldn't want to deal him for prospects or picks at this point anyhow because I think he looks like a pretty good backup so far.

Not sure if other people feel differently but that's how I see it.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
He's a backup goaltender who hasn't proven anything yet. So chances are they wouldn't be able to get all that much at this point other than some prospects or another draft pick and I wouldn't want to deal him for prospects or picks at this point anyhow because I think he looks like a pretty good backup so far.

Not sure if other people feel differently but that's how I see it.
I sort of see it differently because IMO Mathieu Garon is going to be an excellent starter in the NHL. Having Jose Theodore infront of him is only going to hold him back so long IMO.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:15 PM
RichardZednik#20

Well he was on waiver so he is waivers material. Even if he would won the vezina, he is waivers material because he was untaken when on waivers. Thats what poeple here will tell you. Garon has the potential to be a n1 goalie in 1 or 2 years if he gets a chance. Right now he is one of the best back up goalie in the ligue, I wold keep him. Like patp77 said, you will only get a pick/prospect or be a trow in player in a trade witch is not his real value.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Garon= Kiprussoff IMO.

Talent....Garon is much better.

If given the chance in montreal, i think Garon could be just as good as Theodore.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
Garon= Kiprussoff IMO.

Talent....Garon is much better.

If given the chance in montreal, i think Garon could be just as good as Theodore.
I think the Kipprusof analgy is pretty good, though I don't know Garon that well. At best a #2 if not a #3-4.

Sutter picked Kipper because he knew how good he was, not sure if Garon is that proven.

Chomp, Chomp

Old
11-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Skillswise Garon is as good as Theodore ...(some fans would even tell u that he's better)
he's bigger than theo but make less $$ so he's our #2 ...
he has TONS of talents!
but theo is a fan favorite... and Garon(25) is only 1 year younger than theo..
so there is real slim chance to see him as a regular starter in the league...(with the habs)

Old
11-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Bruzin

I was, and still am in shock that no one picked him up last year while on waivers. I would have given him a chance no matter who my goalies were. I can't believe I'm saying this about a hab...ugh...i feel dirty

Old
11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzin
I was, and still am in shock that no one picked him up last year while on waivers. I would have given him a chance no matter who my goalies were. I can't believe I'm saying this about a hab...ugh...i feel dirty
Well I'm pretty glad nobody took a chance on him at that time. Some journalists in Montreal advanced the theory that Savard had an unofficial agreement with the other teams to let him clear waivers so he could play in the AHL the time Hackett was shoped around but I don't buy it. He would have phoned 29 teams? Get serious...

The only truth here is that Andre Savard, at the time GM of the organization, screwed up badly by putting Garon on waivers to protect soon to be UFA Jeff Hackett who in the end brought back an other spare part in Niklas Sundstrom. I still don't know by what kind of holly miracle he cleared, but if he had been picked up, I think some fans would probably have killed Savard considering how well Garon's doing right now and what kind of promising career lies ahead of him. I'm so glad he's not the GM anymore.

Old
11-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzin
I also remember Daniel Briere clearing waivers a few year's back. That one shocked me as well.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:16 PM
SUOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I also remember Daniel Briere clearing waivers a few year's back. That one shocked me as well.
very good point...
I forgot that one, but you're right...Briere was on waivers 3 years ago aprox...

Old
11-21-2003, 02:43 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go
What do you think the Montreal Canadiens could get back in return for goaltender Mathieu Garon?
i dont see why they would trade him and they wouldnt shift him as there are WWAAAYY to many goalies on the market.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:22 PM
arsobro

Garon have the skills to be a # 1 goaltender but he don't prove anything. If the Habs wanted to trade a goalie, it has to be Théodore because garon don't have a good trade value

Old
11-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Patty Roy

Based on the Kiprusoff deal, i would agree that value wise Garon is probably worth a 2nd to a team that likes him. However, it would take more than a 2nd for Montreal to trade him at this point...

Closed Thread