HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Opener GDT: 14/10/06 Ottawa @ Montreal 7PM EST RDS,CBC

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
They did spend considerable amount of time in the Senators zone, but they didn't generate too many chances. Maybe two good chances. I still think Samsonov playing with Bonk and Johnson would be better.

And Perezhogin's playing much, much better all-around hockey right now than Samsonov. Let Samsonov dangle with the steady performers (Bonk, Johnson), and give Plekanec someone to play with (Perezhogin).
I have to say I really buy into your idea of switching Samsonov for Perezhogin. An other thing I would like to see..

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Murray-Plekanec-Johsnon
Latendresse-Bonk-Bégin

Old
zx81

wow some of you should relax.
Pretty much all the team sucked tonight except for the first line and Komi.

So the guys may give F to pretty much everyone and not be that far from the truth.

As for Niinimaa I also thought he was actually pretty bad tonight. Way too many giveaways. His worst game of the season so far IMO.

I know it's exciting to get a point with a late 3rd period goal but it was a general crappy performance.

I would give D to everyone but
Koivu, Ryder , Higgins: A
Komi A+
Pleks B
and maybe C to Samsonov because he scored the GTG on a nice play

Old
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 1131
Maybe the celebrations for the openers got too long but the Habs came out flat tonight. Aside from Koivu's line who's always working hard and giving the 2nd effort the team was just empty. With D's like Markov giving up the puck a la Brisebois and Souray standing around motionless we had a hard night getting the puck up and most of the lines suffered a lot from this.

The good :

-Higgins once again, line as a whole get a A+ too.
-Huet stood on his head after a disapointing start , he did it in the past and he will do it again. He wasen't bombed though.
-Some fights and agressivity, Downey did a good job.
-Dandenault had a solid game but Komisarek was our star tonight he played an awsome game.
-Sammy with his 1st goal! He got lucky but the goal gave him confidence and he started to play like he can after the goal

The bad :

-Markov giving up the puck a la Brisebois, not connecting his passes.
-Pleky is not the same he looks lost out there.
-Only 1 Power play to work with, Ottawa coaching staff clearly got the point across.

The ugly:

-The team as a whole , falling in Ottawa's sucky self and not pushing it.
-Souray being beat up almost everytime he had the puck , didn't get anything on net offensively too.
-Jason Spezza

-
The Habs are still unbeaten in regulation , let's get them Flames !!

Old
10-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I have to say I really buy into your idea of switching Samsonov for Perezhogin. An other thing I would like to see..

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Murray-Plekanec-Johsnon
Latendresse-Bonk-Bégin
I like Kovalev, but he's not competing enough right now to have the responsibilities being a center would entail (in my opinion). Any idea how good he is on the draw?

I'm surprised you'd want to see Murray on the third-line.

The only reason I'd be interested to see that second line is because I believe Kovalev is a naturally very good leader, stemming from a whole lot of pride. When his pride's on the line, Kovalev steps it up in a big way. Otherwise, I'm not sure if Kovalev and Samsonov mesh well together.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Ghost of Saku

Komisarek is ******* SOLID

Old
10-14-2006, 09:24 PM
yukoner

Quote:
I wouldn't say Huet sucked, but can you point out a good save Huet made? He was never forced to be spectacular. As badly as the Habs played, they were fairly active in their own zone, and Ottawa didn't play well either.

Huet wasn't terrible, but he certainly wasn't good. The two goals scored on him were marginal; yes, the defense carry some of the blame for them, but Huet could have had 'em. Further, Huet was less than stellar in the shootout. Vermette, McAmmond, Fisher. yeesh.
That's Huet's style though. Aebi will have 3x's as many flashy saves in 1 game than Huet, his saves are never flashy he's just there, once and a while he'll pul lout a sweet glove save or kick save, but he's a positional goalie through and through.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Did anybody else notice how big of a Habs fan the CBC color commentator (never caught his name) seemed to be? Everything that happened, he spun it into a positive for Montreal. Such a change from listening to Pierre McGuire

Old
10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
as a hockey player on the team I cheer for...don't get it twisted lol
Pfweeee.....I was gettin a little worried there.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Kel-El

Does anyone have the Downey fight?

Old
10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
Koivu instead of Kovalev in the shootouts? I don't get it.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
That's Huet's style though. Aebi will have 3x's as many flashy saves in 1 game than Huet, his saves are never flashy he's just there, once and a while he'll pul lout a sweet glove save or kick save, but he's a positional goalie through and through.
Yeah, well, I don't fully buy that reasoning. For one, Aebischer makes me nervous, so I'm not even comparing the two here. Ottawa was just flat tonight. They generated so few chances. Can you tell me any good chance that Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson got?

And outside of those three, can you list me one Ottawa forward that is the least bit intimidating, for their offensive prowess?

Their muckers and grinders developed some borderline garbage goal opportunities, but there was very little happening for Ottawa offensively tonight. That's got nothing to do with Huet's positioning.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Murray-Plekanec-Johsnon
Latendresse-Bonk-Bégin
Imo Kovalev at centre is just a disaster waiting to happen. Pleks is better on defensively and draws. I just don't see Kovalev having success as at the center position. Or if he did, his linemates would be completely ineffective.

If anything, I'd say give Perezhogin a chance on the 3rd line and put Samsonov with Bonk and Johnson to shake things up. Because otherwise there's no real reason to try any major shake ups.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I like Kovalev, but he's not competing enough right now to have the responsibilities being a center would entail (in my opinion). Any idea how good he is on the draw?

I'm surprised you'd want to see Murray on the third-line.

The only reason I'd be interested to see that second line is because I believe Kovalev is a naturally very good leader, stemming from a whole lot of pride. When his pride's on the line, Kovalev steps it up in a big way. Otherwise, I'm not sure if Kovalev and Samsonov mesh well together.
It's not that I want to see 15-27-42 .. as much as I want Plekanec to be our third C and Bonk our 4th C..

Bonk plays VERY solid defensively, but he blows every chance we have when he has te puck.. Johnson's not much of a passer. And I'd really like to see Lats-Bonk-Bégin, as for now, they would be the best combo on a fourth line.. 3 strong guys, good chemistry...

Anyways,

good night people

Old
10-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
I personally didn't watch all game but a lot of people say Kovalev didn't play good on these boards ...so...

I personally think Perezhogin should get a chance and maybe Samsonov

Old
10-14-2006, 09:31 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Yeah, well, I don't fully buy that reasoning. For one, Aebischer makes me nervous, so I'm not even comparing the two here. Ottawa was just flat tonight. They generated so few chances. Can you tell me any good chance that Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson got?

And outside of those three, can you list me one Ottawa forward that is the least bit intimidating, for their offensive prowess?

Their muckers and grinders developed some borderline garbage goal opportunities, but there was very little happening for Ottawa offensively tonight. That's got nothing to do with Huet's positioning.

Then look at the specific goals, goal 1 was soft, but lets be real, it was a complete fluke goal, the guy who shot it didn't even know where it was goin. Goal 2 was unstoppable, maybe if Sourray wasn't in the process of falling on his butt he could've took his man.

Huet was good, made a number of big saves in the 3rd, great rebound control to knock away scoring chances.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:34 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hmm you're not finding too much support for your Niinimaa trashing...could it be because you're looking for something that's not there? I think so.

And goals are goals, are you going to tell me that Emery sucked because he didn't cut off the five-hole quick enough on the Samsonov goal? If we had won the shootout you'd probably be singing a different tune about Huet.
As I said again and again..Huet didn't have to make any hard saves in the whole game and that 1st goal that sets the tempo for the game was so awfully weak....Huet didn't HAVE TO stand on his head this game and he sure didn't. Let's not talk about the shoot-outs where he surely didn't seize the opportunity either.

As for Niiniima, muh, he is the new guy and whatever, people likes to think they've got one hell of a deal with that #7 Dman in Dallas...everytime I remember seeing him that game, Dandenault had twice the work to do in order to get that ****ing puck out of the zone, covering his weak passes, he was fanning on his shot(for pass), useless on the PP, He did make some good defensive play, only creating turnovers seconds later, but whatever. At least he hits, guess that's why he gets a free pass. Brisebois would have been booed for much less.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Traitor8

I personally didn't see all game so I won't comment on Huet but the 2nd goal ..he could of cut the pass off

Old
10-14-2006, 09:37 PM
larue*

You know what would really be good is to get Pleks back with Johnson and Perez. They compiment each other perfectly. Lats has to get off of the 4th line, but where do you put him?? Bonk has to go,,,,,,,,sorry but he just doesnt fit on the 3rd or the 4th line.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
I personally didn't see all game so I won't comment on Huet but the 2nd goal ..he could of cut the pass off
Well if Souray didn't lose his man along the boards, and if he didn't lose him again near the net, that wouldn't be a goal.

How Huet and Nniniimaa are the scapegoats defensively while Souray seems to be protected by some is beyond me.....

Old
10-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well if Souray didn't lose his man along the boards, and if he didn't lose him again near the net, that wouldn't be a goal.

How Huet and Nniniimaa are the scapegoats defensively while Souray seems to be protected by some is beyond me.....
I clearly didn't say that it wasn't Souray's fault. Souray is of course partly to blame for the goal but why is Huet getting a free pass either?
It was a combination of mistakes of both Souray and Huet.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Sthabs

My view of the game :
How was Huet : weak on the first goal, even if it was originally a mistake by the D not getting the puck out, he had to make the save. Good the rest of the game, and not good in the SO

Was Niinimaa good ? Ok , some good plays, some not as good, more good play then bad one
Was Markov good? Good, his offensive play ties him with Komi for best D tonight
Was Dandenault good? I liked his game exept that he has been paired with Souray, and I believe that hurt his play. A good offensive D
So was Souray good? Hell NO
Komi ? Monster, he played up to his potential and is continuing doing a good job
Rivet, he was paired with Niinimaa and he started to look a bit more like he was last year until he got hurt

1st line : I liked what i saw, great effort by Higgins and Ryder and it paid off again for Higgins
2nd line : Exept for that incredible Samsonov goal,(he kinda reminded me of kovalev on that one) I didn t like what i saw
3rd line : best 2nd line tonight, Bonk and Jonhson did a good job on PK and 5 on 5, I loved what i saw from Perez tonight, this line s gettin better and better
4h line : Were often stuck in their D zone, Begin was ok, Lats was not visible, made a few mistakes but that s normal, Downey was either in the box or on the bench. The little scramble at the end of 1st was a ok job trying to wake up the habs a little

However, I really didn t like the effort in general by the team. I tought they would come out flying, and it looked like most of them had a brick in their shorts
Souray is the worst D we have right now, and now that we have 2 D down, his ice time is gonna go up, and that s bad news.
It s at least the 4th goal vs us that he cost us a goal, 1 bad goal a game for a D is obviously not acceptable
Habs were sleeping all night,(exept from the 2nd goal til the end of the period) they had another chance to steal it, and failed at it again.
They were lazy during the 2nd and got a lot of penalties again to kill the tempo Big thanx to Koivu Higgins Bonk And Johsnon for this game
I m happy we got away with a point but I there was truely no intensity and the game sucked for the most part of it

Last edited by Sthabs: 10-14-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old
10-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Brisebois would have been booed for much less.
Brisebois got booed 'cause he didn't hit that much, have that tendancy to float sometimes AND most of his turnoveres resulted in goals. So far Niniimaa not only hit once in a while, tries much harder, and ALL his turnovers didn't result in goals YET.....

By the way, while Niniimaa got his critiques on other boards, just take a look sometmies at the AVS board, especially all the comments that want Brisebois to be traded for a 9th rounder.....it tells you a lot when you know there's only 7 rounds in a draft.....Niniimaa doesn't deserve the same treatment yet.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Souray was the worst dman by far, no question, he didn't do anything good. He looked lost on the ice ALL night long. He didn't skate, he didn't shoot...he was just there.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
wow some of you should relax.
Pretty much all the team sucked tonight except for the first line and Komi.

So the guys may give F to pretty much everyone and not be that far from the truth.

As for Niinimaa I also thought he was actually pretty bad tonight. Way too many giveaways. His worst game of the season so far IMO.

I know it's exciting to get a point with a late 3rd period goal but it was a general crappy performance.

I would give D to everyone but
Koivu, Ryder , Higgins: A
Komi A+
Pleks B
and maybe C to Samsonov because he scored the GTG on a nice play
Niniimaa was not bad, but I agree dude. Lots of giveaways. At one point it looked like he couldnt control the puck out there.

Old
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I clearly didn't say that it wasn't Souray's fault. Souray is of course partly to blame for the goal but why is Huet getting a free pass either?
It was a combination of mistakes of both Souray and Huet.
Maybe because he only give 2 goals, while I didn't say he was praticularly strong on the 1st one and saying how he's not that great in Shootouts. Not getting anything free for me. But can't believe he's to blame on the 2nd.

Closed Thread