HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offensively inept!

Old
10-15-2006, 03:25 PM
capn89*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
i was actually going to make this thread too

who the hell would have thought our problems this season would
NOT be goaltending
NOT be defense

but would be piss poor scoring. this forward group is sick on paper and is really, really disapointing me
That is pretty funny.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:39 PM
John_Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post
Carter just needs to hit the freaking net. How many times this year would he have scored if he didnt sail it wide or high. Wasnt this guy supposed to be a 40 goal scorer this year?
I think 40 goals sounds optimistic for Carter at this point, but I wouldn't worry too much about his slow start. Last year it took Kovalchuk 5 games to get his first goal, and he still managed over 50... and this year it took him 6 games to get his first goal. Heatley still has no goals after 5 games. When big scorers like those take so long to get going, it tells me that there really is something to "just give it a few more games".

Although with Carter there is that possibility of the dreaded sophomore slump.

John_Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Connor View Post
I think 40 goals sounds optimistic for Carter at this point, but I wouldn't worry too much about his slow start. Last year it took Kovalchuk 5 games to get his first goal, and he still managed over 50... and this year it took him 6 games to get his first goal. Heatley still has no goals after 5 games. When big scorers like those take so long to get going, it tells me that there really is something to "just give it a few more games".

Although with Carter there is that possibility of the dreaded sophomore slump.
Carter took a while to get his first one last year, then when he did, he started scoring fairly regularly. I have confidence that once that first one sneaks in, he'll have the breakout we're all hoping for.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Carter took a while to get his first one last year, then when he did, he started scoring fairly regularly. I have confidence that once that first one sneaks in, he'll have the breakout we're all hoping for.
he didn't really get going until the 2nd half... we need him to be a presence for the entire season this year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm really beginning to think that there is a mutiny beginning to develop. And if that's the case (look back to when Hitch left Dallas and there's a lot of similarities between the play of the Stars then and the Flyers now), then it's wrong. No matter how much of arse the coach might be, mutinies and quitting on the coach is absolutely uncalled for. Yes, I don't like Hitch, that's not a secret. However, I hate it even worse when players start quitting. If there's a problem with the system or anything like that in place, then they need to get everything out in the open. No more of this stupid leadership group crap because nothing good comes from that. Have a session on the ice where each player says what they think is wrong with the current system and what can be done to fix it.

While Hitch maybe the world's most domineering task master, I also don't think he's an idiot to dismiss what his players might have to say. I also think that this would be an opportune time for Hitch to lighten up a bit in terms of coaching and practicing. You can't continue to practice these guys into the ground like he does and expect them to perform at a high tempo all the time. I sometimes think he's a little too extreme in his methods. Lighten up, loosen things up a bit and I've got a funny feeling things might just turn around. The big thing to remember is that it's a game and a game should be fun and that's the biggest thing I see missing from this team. It looks like they aren't having fun out there. He brings that element back into the team, they go on a tear.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm really beginning to think that there is a mutiny beginning to develop. And if that's the case (look back to when Hitch left Dallas and there's a lot of similarities between the play of the Stars then and the Flyers now), then it's wrong. No matter how much of arse the coach might be, mutinies and quitting on the coach is absolutely uncalled for. Yes, I don't like Hitch, that's not a secret. However, I hate it even worse when players start quitting. If there's a problem with the system or anything like that in place, then they need to get everything out in the open. No more of this stupid leadership group crap because nothing good comes from that. Have a session on the ice where each player says what they think is wrong with the current system and what can be done to fix it.

While Hitch maybe the world's most domineering task master, I also don't think he's an idiot to dismiss what his players might have to say. I also think that this would be an opportune time for Hitch to lighten up a bit in terms of coaching and practicing. You can't continue to practice these guys into the ground like he does and expect them to perform at a high tempo all the time. I sometimes think he's a little too extreme in his methods. Lighten up, loosen things up a bit and I've got a funny feeling things might just turn around. The big thing to remember is that it's a game and a game should be fun and that's the biggest thing I see missing from this team. It looks like they aren't having fun out there. He brings that element back into the team, they go on a tear.
you've "been beginning" to believe in the mutiny theory since last spring. you announced it the other day in the GDT. we know.

he has a team leadership committee specifically so that there is dialogue between the staff and the players...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
i was actually going to make this thread too

who the hell would have thought our problems this season would
NOT be goaltending
NOT be defense

but would be piss poor scoring. this forward group is sick on paper and is really, really disapointing me
So true. But what I think needs to be mentioned is the way in which Hitch has played around with the lines thus far this season. The Forsberg line looks good because, outside of raw talent, they're also the only ones who have been afforded the 'luxury' of playing together for a prolonged period of time. Do these other guys even know who they will be playing with when the hit the rink before a game? I understand the need to play around with things and see how they work, but as someone pointed out the other day, that should've been done during pre-season. Our forwards need some consistency in their game and unfortunately, as of now, they haven't been afforded that right. Chemistry on the ice is just as important as chemistry off the ice. Something is missing from this team, and it needs to be found SOON.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote