HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 09:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oiler report card

Scary third period, I hate when the Oilers try to sit on a lead. But Conklin came up big and made sure we got two points.

Brewer - Yech, he was a disaster waiting to happen tonight. I lost track of how many times he gave away the puck, he was saved more than once by a big save.

Chimera - Really didn't notice him.

Conklin - Sensational again! Made a couple of out of the world saves to give the Oilers the win. Helped by a great Staios save as well.

Cross - He was ok. Not great, not terrible.

Dvorak - Solid at both ends of the ice again.

Ferguson - Pretty good night for him, made the simple play.

Hemsky - Great game, he could have had five points tonight. Made some great plays and what a shot. Not a lot of players could put a backhand where he placed in.

Isbister - Made one nice rushing play, but really not that noticable.

Moreau - Steady.

Pisani - Really didn't notice him this evening.

Salmelainen - He was good tonight. I thought he was very unlucky tonight. Toronto made some good defensive plays on him or I am sure he would have hit the scoreboard.

Smith - Steady, and nice feed to York for the goal.

Smyth - One of his better games. He was very good defensively this evening and created havoc on the offensive boards all night.

Staois - Made a sprawling slide to save a goal and played well all evening. The slashing call at the end was very suspect, did he even the stick. Unless my replay at the game was poor? I am sure someone will let me know.

Stoll - Steady and had a partial breakaway. How can he be so smart defensively already?

Torres - One play sticks out in my mind. Toronto had two guys on the offensive boards against Raffi, he lays a great bodycheck, and takes the puck out of the corner makes a great feed to start a two on one. Too bad we then shot the puck 5 feet wide.

York - Rarely has a bad game and scored another goal. He is just a good hockey player that seems to never have a bad game.

Sarno - Pretty decent effort.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

wat were the lines like tonight, i only caught the 3rd period and they seemed a little weird. my math had these as the lines, just based on what I seen anyways.

Isbister-Sarno-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Smyth-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll-Salmo

is this correct, if so MacT but the blender on high tonight.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:04 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Scary third period, I hate when the Oilers try to sit on a lead. But Conklin came up big and made sure we got two points.

Brewer - Yech, he was a disaster waiting to happen tonight. I lost track of how many times he gave away the puck, he was saved more than once by a big save.

Conklin - Sensational again! Made a couple of out of the world saves to give the Oilers the win. Helped by a great Staios save as well.

Hemsky - Great game, he could have had five points tonight. Made some great plays and what a shot. Not a lot of players could put a backhand where he placed in.

Moreau - Steady.

Salmelainen - He was good tonight. I thought he was very unlucky tonight. Toronto made some good defensive plays on him or I am sure he would have hit the scoreboard.

Smyth - One of his better games. He was very good defensively this evening and created havoc on the offensive boards all night.

Staois - Made a sprawling slide to save a goal and played well all evening. The slashing call at the end was very suspect, did he even the stick. Unless my replay at the game was poor? I am sure someone will let me know.

Stoll - Steady and had a partial breakaway. How can he be so smart defensively already?

Torres - One play sticks out in my mind. Toronto had two guys on the offensive boards against Raffi, he lays a great bodycheck, and takes the puck out of the corner makes a great feed to start a two on one. Too bad we then shot the puck 5 feet wide.

York - Rarely has a bad game and scored another goal. He is just a good hockey player that seems to never have a bad game.

Sarno - Pretty decent effort.
When you don't notice guys like Cross or Pisani, you know they are doing their job.

I was a little suspect when they resigned Cross, but he is very very steady. Spent last night covering up for Brewer.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:17 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i agree with you on york and i would add dvorak to that list. both of these guys have been great all year. they have quite the chemistry right now and i hope torres will stick with them.
love that torres hit on tucker.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:43 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Staois didn't make the save, it hit fitzgeralds skate and stayed out.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:01 PM
coyote

[QUOTE=spaz44]Scary third period, I hate when the Oilers try to sit on a lead. But Conklin came up big and made sure we got two points.

Moreau - Steady.

Sarno - Pretty decent effort.[/QUO I don't know what you are watching when you watch the games because half of the time you don't notice most of the players.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:07 PM
The Rage

Well, its kind of hard to pay attention to everything that every player is doing. Props to anyone who can pass judgement on every player on any given night.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
wat were the lines like tonight, i only caught the 3rd period and they seemed a little weird. my math had these as the lines, just based on what I seen anyways.

Isbister-Sarno-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Smyth-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll-Salmo

is this correct, if so MacT but the blender on high tonight.
Yeah I think that is pretty close.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I don't know what you are watching when you watch the games because half of the time you don't notice most of the players.
I don't get some people. Spaz is kind enough to give us a report and this is what he gets. Betcha Coyote can count his friends on one hand, and still have fingers left over.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:28 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
When you don't notice guys like Cross or Pisani, you know they are doing their job.

I was a little suspect when they resigned Cross, but he is very very steady. Spent last night covering up for Brewer.
Yep and if it is a defensive player I always mean it as a compliment.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
I don't get some people. Spaz is kind enough to give us a report and this is what he gets. Betcha Coyote can count his friends on one hand, and still have fingers left over.
I really don't care if people agree or disagree. If Coyote wants to make a post on what he saw that was so different. More power to him.

As I have said many times people watch games and see different things, or have different expectations.

That being said to make a blanket statement and say I don't know what kind of game you are watching and then don't bother to back it up with what they saw was different is pretty easy to say, but back it up. So Coyote what did you see that was different?

His or her post had no substance so it was really hard to get insulted by it, though to be honest I wouldn't have been insulted anyway. I am too old too worry that some person doesn't like my posts.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

Spaz- please keep your reports coming. I also enjoy reading them.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:26 PM
coyote

When you say you didn't notice Pisani and you figured Sarno had a good game I was just wondering about that. Pisani played very well defensively against their top players. I don't think Sarno had a very good game and is taken off the puck easly. Pisani is strong on the puck and good in the corners. Anyway thats my opinion.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:50 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I really don't care if people agree or disagree. If Coyote wants to make a post on what he saw that was so different. More power to him.

As I have said many times people watch games and see different things, or have different expectations.

That being said to make a blanket statement and say I don't know what kind of game you are watching and then don't bother to back it up with what they saw was different is pretty easy to say, but back it up. So Coyote what did you see that was different?

His or her post had no substance so it was really hard to get insulted by it, though to be honest I wouldn't have been insulted anyway. I am too old too worry that some person doesn't like my posts.
I find your "game reports" pretty much mirror what I see on TV at home most the time.

I know you in the past have infered about how we "peasants" at home don't get to see the half of it. But we also see alot of things at home, that are missed at the game "live". I've turned down a free ticket from my neighbor once this season and 4 times last year. Some nights I would just prefer to sit on my couch with my "affordable" beer and if I want a smoke.......the garage is only a hallway away.

I think some may feel you put too much emphasis on your "live reports". As in the past you have mentioned something to the extent that the game report veiwed by the home veiwer doesn't hold much near as much weight.

In fact here was one of your recent quotes, EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless...there are so many things you dont see that can seperate you from having a good game and a bad game or a good game and a great game...

I'm not jealous that I'm not at every game..........but others may be.

Although I don't enjoy posters saying any report/veiw I may have at "home" are................."completely pointless".

Old
11-21-2003, 09:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
When you say you didn't notice Pisani and you figured Sarno had a good game I was just wondering about that. Pisani played very well defensively against their top players. I don't think Sarno had a very good game and is taken off the puck easly. Pisani is strong on the puck and good in the corners. Anyway thats my opinion.

Again it is all about expectations as I talked about in my last post. Sarno has only played a few games in the NHL so my expectations are low. He played OK for a guy that has as much NHL experience as he did.

As for Pisani, I have constantly talked about how good defensively he is right from the beginning of my reports and I really didn't notice anyting different.

Again Coyote no big deal, like I said people notice different things and I welcome the different things people notice.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I find your "game reports" pretty much mirror what I see on TV at home most the time.

I know you in the past have infered about how we "peasants" at home don't get to see the half of it. But we also see alot of things at home, that are missed at the game "live". I've turned down a free ticket from my neighbor once this season and 4 times last year. Some nights I would just prefer to sit on my couch with my "affordable" beer and if I want a smoke.......the garage is only a hallway away.

I think some may feel you put too much emphasis on your "live reports". As in the past you have mentioned something to the extent that the game report veiwed by the home veiwer doesn't hold much near as much weight.

In fact here was one of your recent quotes, EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless...there are so many things you dont see that can seperate you from having a good game and a bad game or a good game and a great game...

I'm not jealous that I'm not at every game..........but others may be.

Although I don't enjoy posters saying any report/veiw I may have at "home" are................."completely pointless".

Actually it wasn't me that posted that, someone else did. So I think you should do some research before posted that I SAID THAT!! I defended both aspects saying that the people that go live may see things that others don't see at home and the people at home have way better replays then I see. Also the TV viewer may get a better angle of a play that I would see at the game.

There are advantages to both. Maybe the person that said it was pointless and later retracted it will stand up here.

In fact half of my reports are TV reports so why would I think TV watching is pointless????

As for any emphasis on my reports, I just post them. I don't think my post game reports are any better than anybody else but a few people enjoy them so I post them. In fact I welcome disagreements things I say because it provokes discussion. I love to read Loudmouth Hemsky's reports, because he notices different things that I may have not noticed.

You can like them, hate them, or do feel anything you like about them. That is the essence of a message board is it not?

Old
11-21-2003, 09:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Spaz, keep the reports coming. I NEED the competition, I THRIVE on it

Plus many humorous Horcoff conversations seem to start from it.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Spaz, keep the reports coming. I NEED the competition, I THRIVE on it

Plus many humorous Horcoff conversations seem to start from it.
Read my edit, I was just saying how much I enjoy yours, we don't always agree but really isn't that the fun of a message board.

We have had some good discussion over our disagreements and I enjoy that!

Old
11-21-2003, 09:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Read my edit, I was just saying how much I enjoy yours, we don't always agree but really isn't that the fun of a message board.

We have had some good discussion over our disagreements and I enjoy that!
Excellent discussion, we see it from different POV's, and compare, only improving our own skills. It's good stuff and what forums are all about.

And thanks for the plug!

Old
11-21-2003, 09:38 PM
hockeyaddict101

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Excellent discussion, we see it from different POV's, and compare, only improving our own skills. It's good stuff and what forums are all about.

And thanks for the plug!
Yep, thats what keeps me coming back. All the different viewpoints and perspectives.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:38 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Actually it wasn't me that posted that, someone else did. So I think you should do some research before posted that I SAID THAT!!
Okay MR SMARTY PANTS!!! Here's my RESEARCH!!!

Explain this then.....it's your first contribution in the thread. The very bottom of the first page in the thread.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...931#post444931

I rest my case.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Okay MR SMARTY PANTS!!! Here's my RESEARCH!!!

Explain this then.....it's your first contribution in the thread. The very bottom of the first page in the thread.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...931#post444931

I rest my case.
Rest it yourself.

EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless...there are so many things you dont see that can seperate you from having a good game and a bad game or a good game and a great game...
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is Loudmouths Hemsky's post NOT MINE. Look again!!!!!!!!!

Unless you think I am both Loudmouth Hemsky and Spaz 44.

Earlier in this thread you said I POSTED THIS and I said I didn't and that I defended both viewpoints.

Here is my post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I think my home game reports are much more accurate than the away game posts because there are things I see at home that I just can't see on the road.

On the other hand there may be replay that makes a play more clear to a viewer at home that I may miss at a home game.

Still a persons viewpoint at a game is going to be more accurate but there are some people that don't get to see the game at all and that is why it is good that so many report on what they have seen either in person or on the TV.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think people that go to the game have an advantage but they have replays that I don't see at the game.

I may miss something completely at a game because of the angle as well.

Pointless, not a chance and as I correctly pointed out I never said that!

Old
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Rest it yourself.

EXACTLY!!! reports from TV are just compleatly pointless...there are so many things you dont see that can seperate you from having a good game and a bad game or a good game and a great game...
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is Loudmouths Hemsky's post NOT MINE. Look again!!!!!!!!!

Unless you think I am both Loudmouth Hemsky and Spaz 44.

Earlier in this thread you said I POSTED THIS!!!
Well uuuuummmm

ah heh..........gulp.........sorry.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Well uuuuummmm

ah heh..........gulp.........sorry.
No problem, Good research. I tried to find the thread but had no success whatsover.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:05 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

#2 I might add.

I don't do game reports from TV, that's my personal decision because I want the full game experience, it's part of my style. But for people who want to, and feel they can get a full experience and do the game justice with that kinda report, power to em, and it can only add to the forum.

Closed Thread