HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "its going to be alright thread"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2006, 11:08 AM
  #1
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
The "its going to be alright thread"

I know, yet another thread about our scoring. But this is an actual positive thread.
The Flyers are a team filled with young players that are destined to be scorers.
Who does this remind you of? Buffalo. Now the Sabres have more young players that have skill, while we have more older players that can (and have scored) this season. But Buffalo last year changed thier system to an all out attack system, with new players in new roles and a younger set of players. The result? They played poorly in the beginning of the season. THEN once things jelled and the younger players started to get some confidence they were one of the most feared teams in the NHL. Im not positive of Buffalos record but i remeber them being .500 with 10 games played. Plus we still have Johnson coming back and Rathje, and possibly a former Norris winner. Our players will jell, give it a few games. Nitty is playing great, that was my biggest concern. When we start playing well as a team then i can see us going on a tear like Buffalo if not better just because we have a better top line which is going to help everything else. I also think that we have a potential top 3 D men then Buffalo if Johnson pans out. Now if we are playing .300 hockey in December, i will admit wrong. LETS GO FLYERS!!!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 11:32 AM
  #2
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
As much as everyone seems to know I hate Jones, I'm starting to gain confidence in him because he's gaining confidence in himself. On our defense, Meyer is young and will help out, so will Jonnson when he comes back. Pitkanen needs to stay consistent.

We've got a new team, and I agree, its gonna take time to work out. Not just that, but not only is it a new team but its a new system for Clarke since he's actually gonna start to work with his young players rather than trade them away. It'll take time, it might not even happen this year, but I still think this is one of the best moves that has been made in a long time for the Flyers, even if it turns out to be a long term move. I think we'll have a better shot of winning a cup in a couple years, hell maybe even this year if everyone steps up quickly, than we've had since 1997.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 11:46 AM
  #3
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
The "its going to be alright thread"...... but only if we fire Hitch.

Positives are Niitty, Hatcher, Jones and Sanderson do far for me. Theres no one single player thats pulled a Therien so far and yet were still losing.

All the ingredients are there for a very good team but that will only happen when Hitch is gone.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:09 PM
  #4
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
The "its going to be alright thread"...... but only if we fire Hitch.
Uh oh, you're in trouble if Jester sees that. He'll go on a rant about how Hitchcock has kept this team competitive and all he does is win and all that other crap that goes along with it.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:48 PM
  #5
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Uh oh, you're in trouble if Jester sees that. He'll go on a rant about how Hitchcock has kept this team competitive and all he does is win and all that other crap that goes along with it.....
He can do that but theres two things that piss me off with this team, the coaching and the medical staff.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 02:21 PM
  #6
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
i think that philly is too use to running coaches out of town. I really dont see who hitch has lost control over seeing how the team is haldf new. The people who were acquired are all coachable players. The players that are young are also impressionable, and the older players are playing well anyway.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:24 PM
  #7
Broad st phantom
Registered User
 
Broad st phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
I know, yet another thread about our scoring. But this is an actual positive thread.
The Flyers are a team filled with young players that are destined to be scorers.
Who does this remind you of? Buffalo. Now the Sabres have more young players that have skill, while we have more older players that can (and have scored) this season. But Buffalo last year changed thier system to an all out attack system, with new players in new roles and a younger set of players. The result? They played poorly in the beginning of the season. THEN once things jelled and the younger players started to get some confidence they were one of the most feared teams in the NHL. Im not positive of Buffalos record but i remeber them being .500 with 10 games played. Plus we still have Johnson coming back and Rathje, and possibly a former Norris winner. Our players will jell, give it a few games. Nitty is playing great, that was my biggest concern. When we start playing well as a team then i can see us going on a tear like Buffalo if not better just because we have a better top line which is going to help everything else. I also think that we have a potential top 3 D men then Buffalo if Johnson pans out. Now if we are playing .300 hockey in December, i will admit wrong. LETS GO FLYERS!!!
see this sounds nice and all, but buffalo has something that we lack and thats "SabreSpeed"

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
  #8
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
see this sounds nice and all, but buffalo has something that we lack and thats "SabreSpeed"
And all we have is "FlyerTeamToughness".

But seriously, we have our own SabreSpeed, it's just not being utilized effectively at the moment.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
  #9
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
He can do that but theres two things that piss me off with this team, the coaching and the medical staff.
Is that you, Lindros?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
  #10
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Uh oh, you're in trouble if Jester sees that. He'll go on a rant about how Hitchcock has kept this team competitive and all he does is win and all that other crap that goes along with it.....
or i could just blame all ills in the world on Hitch like you do? start posting my "numbers" (otherwise known as observable facts) and whatnot? lots of things i could do really... Hitch has yet to miss the playoffs with a team he's had through an entire season... so really, all he does is win, though.

cute post.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
  #11
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Is that you, Lindros?
Well they've misdiagnosed a ton of injuries even after he left town.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:01 AM
  #12
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,590
vCash: 500
we'll see if this team is all right tomorrow in Buffalo.

Personally I think they're going to get embarassed but I hope not.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
  #13
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Uh oh, you're in trouble if Jester sees that. He'll go on a rant about how Hitchcock has kept this team competitive and all he does is win and all that other crap that goes along with it.....
Wow, what a shocking post by BCF16! He's blaming Hitchcock for this team not scoring? I'm so surprised! I've never heard this before...nor have I ever seen the "claim Hitch sucks and then get annoyed when jester uses facts to debate my point" play before, either. I mean, it's not like the statement that "All Hitch does is win" is inaccurate. Since he has made the playoffs with every team he's ever coached for an entire season, including almost winning the division (losing on a tiebreaker) last season, with a team that lost nearly 400 man games to injury. "But that's no excuse!" will be the response, I know, because I've seen it before. Which is completely and utterly delusional, but hey, we could always just let Steve L. explain to us how the reason they had all those injuries was due to the lack of an enforcer and other teams taking liberties with Flyers players. Ahh, good times, good times!

To get back to the point of the thread, I do think the Flyers will turn around. The kids just have too much talent, and they've had lots of good chances this season, so I think they'll start scoring. The defense has been adequate, and the goaltending certainly hasn't been the utter disaster so many feared (at least so far, Nitty has played well...Esche, well, we'll see how that works out). With Rathje and Jonsson soon back, that should help the D, and when the puck starts bouncing the Flyers' way a bit, things should turn around. I'm still going to think positively about this team, since we're still only 5 games into the season.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
  #14
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Wow, what a shocking post by BCF16! He's blaming Hitchcock for this team not scoring? I'm so surprised! I've never heard this before...nor have I ever seen the "claim Hitch sucks and then get annoyed when jester uses facts to debate my point" play before, either. I mean, it's not like the statement that "All Hitch does is win" is inaccurate. Since he has made the playoffs with every team he's ever coached for an entire season, including almost winning the division (losing on a tiebreaker) last season, with a team that lost nearly 400 man games to injury. "But that's no excuse!" will be the response, I know, because I've seen it before. Which is completely and utterly delusional, but hey, we could always just let Steve L. explain to us how the reason they had all those injuries was due to the lack of an enforcer and other teams taking liberties with Flyers players. Ahh, good times, good times!
When the same problems keep arising with this hockey club, chances are you're going to see the same arguments from the same people on a message board. Just live with it, don't complain about it.

Jester and BCF16 have no qualms about going back and forth 100 times a week, why should it bother you?

And for my own addition to the thread I agree, eventually this team will be okay. The kids will get a lucky bounce in the next couple of games and will start contributing and then all will be well.

Until we're knocked out in the first round by Sabrespeed.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post

Until we're knocked out in the first round by Sabrespeed.
cute.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
  #16
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 34,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
The "its going to be alright thread"...... but only if we fire Hitch.

Positives are Niitty, Hatcher, Jones and Sanderson do far for me. Theres no one single player thats pulled a Therien so far and yet were still losing.

All the ingredients are there for a very good team but that will only happen when Hitch is gone.
fire Hitch? jesus give me a break. Not many coaches could have done what he did last season with all the injuries. 400 man games lost and this team was one point away from the Atlantic Division title, yeah they were not going to win the Cup last season but with all the injuries last season i thought he did a damn good job coaching the team with what he had.
There is no one out there right now who I would want coaching this team instead of Hitch. It amazes me the amount of people who are panicing and are ready to write this team off and want to blow it up ect. ect. after 5 games
Then again it is Negadelphia i really should not be suprised.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-16-2006 at 02:03 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:35 PM
  #17
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
When the same problems keep arising with this hockey club, chances are you're going to see the same arguments from the same people on a message board. Just live with it, don't complain about it.

Jester and BCF16 have no qualms about going back and forth 100 times a week, why should it bother you?
I suppose mostly it gets to me because I see it as being completely useless as a discussion item. When someone endlessly blames everything on one thing (and refuses to allow anything else to get in the way), it just doesn't sit well with me. I am a person who likes to think that people discuss things and learn from such discussions. I certainly try to, although I'll willingly admit I don't always succeed. But these conversations are endless, repetitive, and annoying. BCF16 refuses to ever listen to an argument made by anyone else, although I did just realize that I think he has learned something. His "Play the kids!" thing has mostly been dropped, which I'd like to think is because the constant arguments about how this team IS relying on "the kids" finally got through. So perhaps these endless discussions aren't as fruitless as I'd thought. Hmm, something to ponder for a bit.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
  #18
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
cute.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:04 PM
  #19
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
fire Hitch? jesus give me a break. Not many coaches could have done what he did last season with all the injuries. 400 man games lost and this team was one point away from the Atlantic Division title, yeah they were not going to win the Cup last season but with all the injuries last season i thought he did a damn good job coaching the team with what he had.
There is no one out there right now who I would want coaching this team instead of Hitch. It amazes me the amount of people who are panicing and are ready to write this team off and want to blow it up ect. ect. after 5 games
Then again it is Negadelphia i really should not be suprised.
This isnt about 5 game, the whole team has been lifeless, passionless and boring ever since he took over. Ive seen more atmosphere at a funeral parlour than at games at the WC.

Hes so horrible with the kids that its no wonder they are developing as quickly as some expected.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
  #20
letsgoflyers75
Registered User
 
letsgoflyers75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
This isnt about 5 game, the whole team has been lifeless, passionless and boring ever since he took over. Ive seen more atmosphere at a funeral parlour than at games at the WC.

Hes so horrible with the kids that its no wonder they are developing as quickly as some expected.
Were you born after May 2004 or something?

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:46 PM
  #21
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75 View Post
Were you born after May 2004 or something?
Well done, you ignored all the points and made a totally pointless statement.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 09:56 PM
  #22
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Well done, you ignored all the points and made a totally pointless statement.
I believe the point was: anyone who opines that the Flyers have been "lifeless, passionless and boring" duing the Hitchcock Era obviously wasn't lucid during the 2004 playoffs.

I see what yer sayin', though - last year was hard to watch and this year's team is kind of a Girlie Team, but that's the kind of team that wins these days.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
  #23
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I believe the point was: anyone who opines that the Flyers have been "lifeless, passionless and boring" duing the Hitchcock Era obviously wasn't lucid during the 2004 playoffs.

I see what yer sayin', though - last year was hard to watch and this year's team is kind of a Girlie Team, but that's the kind of team that wins these days.
I watch good teams play, they skate hard, hit and give 100%, definetly not Girlie Teams

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
  #24
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I believe the point was: anyone who opines that the Flyers have been "lifeless, passionless and boring" duing the Hitchcock Era obviously wasn't lucid during the 2004 playoffs.

I see what yer sayin', though - last year was hard to watch and this year's team is kind of a Girlie Team, but that's the kind of team that wins these days.
So what, one run makes up for all the crap we have to watch now 2 year later?

Obviously that had nothing to do with Hitch because if it did, wed still be playing like that now.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:42 AM
  #25
Broad st phantom
Registered User
 
Broad st phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
I watch good teams play, they skate hard, hit and give 100%, definetly not Girlie Teams
, we just need to get our crap together. it will happen eventually.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.