HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Heritage Classic Games Day Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Silver

vCash: 500
Chimera finally found his skating legs tonight...

Old
11-22-2003, 07:22 PM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Chimera finally found his skating legs tonight...
Agreed. Him and Isbister played a good game, as well as York.

Those guys stood out for me tonight.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:14 PM
GJ Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Guys,I would love to say thank you to the Oilers Organization and Edmonton fans for giving Montreal the chance to play In this game,I watch all the game and seriously,this was one of the best hockey game I have watch since a couple of year,not only for the hockey play but also for the feeling It gives me,again I want to sa BRAVO to each of you and your verry good and classy organization for giving Montreal fans the opportunity to be part of this,THANK YOU!!!!!,Edmonton ROCKS!!
It was a great game and I totally enjoyed it too, despite the result. Thanks for your kind words. It makes sense that the storied Habs were our opponent tonight. Congrats on the win.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
What happened with Horcoff? He only played 1 shift in the third period. He missed the game against the Leafs with back spasms.

11-22-2003, 08:31 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
What happened with Horcoff? He only played 1 shift in the third period. He missed the game against the Leafs with back spasms.
Nobody seems to know...

Old
11-22-2003, 08:38 PM
kruezer

I thought it was just a great day all-in-all. First off I really like watching weightlifting (seriously) and CBC had it on before the MegaStars game. I thought the MegaStars game was awesome, Fuhr and Ranford rocked, brought me back to when goalies weren't robots. I thought Gretz and Kurri showed they still had silky smooth talents, and (especially Kurri) are not in great shape, but hey they didn't get paid . Alotta memories and I am not even old enough to have watched much of the 80's Oilers without it being a hilight. I thought the real game was a really weird feeling. It seemed right to have the oldtimers out on the pond (I woulda liked two 20 minute halfs, but I can't be greedy ) But the regular NHLers out there was kinda strange, not bad, just strange. I thought it was an awesome game though, woulda been nice to see the Oilers win, but hey, things don't always turn out like storybooks I guess.

Great day for hockey.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Oi'll say!

I was really surprised by how well Ken Linseman played, he was one of the longer retirees and yet he was the best Oiler megastar (Mess wasn't going all out). Looked like he could still play.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:49 PM
barto

It was a real treat to see the Oilumni out there, and it's been great to read all the stories about them and all the joking around...it's obvious that they really enjoyed getting back together again. I hope Gretz agrees to another game like this, with the old Oilers together again. By then his other kids can be the backup band for Paulina...

Too bad the (new) boys couldn't pull it out in the end, but Montreal played a pretty good game overall, and really hemmed the Oilers in their own zone a number of times, including at the end when the Oilers were trying to pull the goalie.

The ice didn't look good at all for most of the game - too bad, as it hurt the flow of the game & resulted in lots of turnovers. Luckily it also hopped over that Habs' stick near the end or he would have walked in all alone on Conklin...!!

I wondered if Conklin's stick was bumped by Ferguson on that wrap-around...but he has definitely had better games recently.

Isbister played pretty well, I thought, and was noticeable on a number of good chances. Stoll continues to impress, York had another solid effort. Brewer continues to struggle, and looks to be a shadow of his former self from 2+ years ago.

I hope the guys can put it behind them & get ready for Columbus on Tuesday.

I think the build-up to the game was so fevered that it would have been hard for the games to live up to the hype, but the second game was a spirited effort and somewhat entertaining.

Good stuff - I'm proud of the organization for doing this and for doing it well. Kudos to all involved!

Bart

Old
11-23-2003, 03:23 AM
Yanner39

I can't believe people are actually blaming players aftr this game. The ice was pure *****. I saw Cross by himself, un-hassled unable to control the puck. The Oilers were stupid. The were trying the fancy pass plays when they should have realized after the the Mega Stars game that they were not going to win without shooting on net from anywhere. The Habs 2 first goals were garbage goals. The got them as a result of shooting from everywhere. They got bounces and capitalized on them. It was like playing with a tennis ball out there.

Lets face it. The ice surface was perfect for a team that traps. I'm not at all taking anythign away from the Habs. The won by doing what they do best. I really do admire the Oilers from coming back a few time.

I wasn't to fond of the camera angle as well.

Apart from that, what a great day. This showed how the Oilers are a class A organization. The two best canadian franchises were showcased yesterday and deservedly so. Everybody, from the Oilers to the Habs to the city of Edmonton did a excellent job. I tip my hat to the fans who stayed out there in -28 degree weather until the end.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:49 AM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Apart from that, what a great day. This showed how the Oilers are a class A organization. The two best canadian franchises were showcased yesterday and deservedly so. Everybody, from the Oilers to the Habs to the city of Edmonton did a excellent job. I tip my hat to the fans who stayed out there in -28 degree weather until the end.
You got it exactly right - it was a fantastic day and could not have been organized better.

One small correction - it was cold, but not -28 cold. The outside temperature held steady through the second game at about -18, and down in the lower levels it was noticeably less cold (I can't say "warmer" because after 4 hours I was pretty much a block of ice). But it was bearable for fans - and actually perfect for the players.

The ice was a factor, but credit Theodore and the Canadiens for a solid game.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Cerebral

Whew.. that was a fantastic experience!! I was a bit surprised though, I had seats in row 9 in the lower section right in the middle... while that would be perfect for a football game, it was absolutely terrible for hockey! I found myself watching much of the game on the big screens because I couldn't see much of the play through the boards/gigantic crane camera thing. Oh well, the Oilers didn't play terrible and they had a chance to win.. just had to pot a few more on those 35+ shots they had. It sure was amazing to hear the "Gretzky, Gretzky" chants

Old
11-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb701
You got it exactly right - it was a fantastic day and could not have been organized better.

One small correction - it was cold, but not -28 cold. The outside temperature held steady through the second game at about -18, and down in the lower levels it was noticeably less cold (I can't say "warmer" because after 4 hours I was pretty much a block of ice). But it was bearable for fans - and actually perfect for the players.

The ice was a factor, but credit Theodore and the Canadiens for a solid game.
ah...HNIC had it a -28 with the wind.

Anyways, props to the fans to stated outside for 6-7 hours.

Old
11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Hairball

Man it was a great experience. 50/50 was $75,000, attendance was 57,167. It was cold. Moreso, the higher in the stands you were. There was a new Zamboni all dressed up in Heritage Classic colors and the 25th anniversarry logo on top. There was a HUGE oilers flag flying behindish the stands on the field. Two of those flappy tall air filled guys on the field- one for each team. There was a giant crane on the field hoisting a big screen (? I didn't actually get around to take a good look at it). The snowbirds did two fly by's and there were a couple of military choppers and a CF-18 that flew by- man was it slow. They were selling numbered programs and at the end they gave out numbered sheets saying that you were officially at the game and witnessed the event. It was a lot of fun and for sure the coolest highlight was Fuhr making that save from the netcam out. There was a pyrotechnics display at the end. Oddly enough, I really enjoyed that part. Much more than the Canada Day display. Anyway, I didn't want to go to work today not because of work but because I didn't want to go outside again. I think I'm still warming up from yesterday. It was an absolute blast though. I had such a good time. Too bad we didn't win but I don't feel at all like we lost anything.

Old
11-23-2003, 01:46 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
true the ice was crappy i couldnt spot the blue line clearly near the end of the 2nd period

Old
11-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Dangerdanger

TO be honest, I thought brewer had a pretty good game. He was controlling the puck well and made some nice rushes, I was more impressed by him this game than earlier in the season. Sure, that play he should have taken zednick instead of swiping at the puck, but ask any person that plays hockey, that puck should never have bounced like that, and just about everyone would have gone for the puck first. All in all, not a bad game by him.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:12 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Well, at least they didn't trap during the Old-timers game.

I'm joking, it was MAGICAL. Esa Tikkanen with the missed check brought a HUGE smile to my face.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Luoma

Now the smart thing for them to do would be to put out the dvd before christmas and include the audio from the bench as voice over. It would be worth a buy just to hear Tiktalk again.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:45 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
GOT TICKETS!! On my way to the Hockey Mecca by way of hockey hell ... Calgary. Go Oil!
Montreal is the mecca of hockey. The nhl was created in montreal. Before the nhl even existed, montreal teams had won 13 of the first 24 stanley cups awarded. (The AAA, the Shamrocks, the victorias, le Nationale and the all montreal teams won the cup before the nhl existed). Montreal has had pro hockey for ever. Actually, it goes back to the late 19th century. So, plz, edmonton is a great hockey city, but it is by no means the mecca of hockey.

By the way, the heritage classic was one of the better events in nhl history. The oilers and their fans deserve great praise. It was one hell of an event. Congrats on it all. Edmonton trully is a good hockey city in it's own right.

Good luck to oilers for the reminder of the season,

Closed Thread