HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - XM Radio in Montreal

Old
10-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Bruin_Ron

vCash: 500
OT - XM Radio in Montreal

Hey guys and gals, just wondering if anyone here owns or knows someone who has XM and who lives in Montreal. I'm curious about the reception in general, most specifically with the Pioneer Inno but I'll take whatever info I can get.

I'm just curious about where the reception is good and where it is poor. Where do you use the radio and how does the reception vary when you're at home (ground floor/basement) vs. downtown, for example.

Thanks to anyone with info,

- Ron

Bruin_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
BadHabit

Hey Ron,

I own an XM radio (Roady XT) and while I don't live in Montreal, I'm in a band who tours a fair bit and we always bring it on the road with us. While being on tour, we have never noticed a problem with reception anywhere - Philadelphia, New York City, Toronto, Windsor, Montreal, Quebec City, the Maritimes, etc. In fact, something I found weird was when we were going through the tunnel into Montreal, we still had reception! They must have some towers set up in Montreal to take over when you can't get a line of sight to the satellite.

I love my radio and never bring cd's with me in the car anymore. You will be happy with the service, and if you end up getting it check out channel 52 The Verge. It's all Canadian artists including my band Sproll who is played on that channel daily.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 01:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
quality of it is insane. We were switchin from xm to reg radio last night, and the quality was night and day

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 03:41 PM
chitownhabsfan

I visited Montréal in March 2006 with my XM Satelite Radio - Delphi MyFi and the reception was fine using the small cylinder antenna and it worked fine in Montréal and even inside the Bell Centre. However, there was a delay on the radio so it was confusing to listen and watch at the same time. Naturally the action is taking place and the description of the action is delayed since the signal must travel up to the satellite and down again to where one receives it.

Small Cylinder Antenna = Clip 2 XM2go Personal Antenna for MyFi, see http://www.myradiostore.us/

Les Habs home games are announced in English on CJAD AM800 and the reception is very poor to non-existent inside the Bell Centre. Go to www.cjad.com

So, I thought I would bring the XM radio capability when I visited Montréal and see how well it worked. As previously stated, there is a delay which is difficult to deal with.

When flying to Toronto from Chicago and from Montréal to Chicago, the XM radio works okay on the plane but you have to place the antenna next to a window and the headphones with the incorporated antenna doesn't work in that situation. Same is true when traveling from Toronto to Montréal when traveling Via Rail, one has to place the antenna next to a window since one is enclosed in a metal carrier.

Finally, if you understand the French language, there are four channels that are completely devoted to that language & one is a Montréal French sports channel. I believe the name of the program is called La Cage aux Sports and is broadcast from the Bell Center within the resturant of the same name. Channel/Canal 172.

If you live in Montréal, check out the many electronics stores and do some listening on their demos. I purchased XM cause I was told that Sirius was going to drop announcing NHL games and XM was going to be the sole source, however, I don't think that is true. XM does have one channel [204] that is a 24x7 Hockey Sportstalk channel, based in Toronto. In the US, most of the sportstalk AM stations are devoted to what the announcers know and that isn't hockey, so a lot of NHL fans are buying XM radio to listen to and participate in that channel.

Hope this helps?

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Bruin_Ron

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far... your comments have been reassuring.

BH, good luck to you and Sproll... I'll definitely check you guys out once I can.

CTHF, XM will indeed be the sole source for NHL games starting next season. Your comments about traveling on plains and rail are much appreciated since I do a bit of traveling myself, mostly to NYC. I take it you can use your XM radio without hassles on the plane... good to know.

The delay on the sporting events is something I've inquired about and everyone seems to confirm that there's sometimes as much as a 25 second delay. Not cool if you wanted t follow live or somewhere where with no audio or if you prefer listening in another language.

I'm encouraged by your comments and hope for even more testimonials...

thanks again

- Ron

Old
10-15-2006, 08:06 AM
plafleur10

Car

I just got a new car and XM radio was included. I live in Montreal and the reception is perfect everywhere I've gone including my country house.I love the "Chill" channel # 84.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Sens Rule

I live in Ottawa and have an XM portable. In the car with an antenna it works everywhere inside the city, outside the city. But when it is used as a walkman their is no antenna. It works in my apartment in downtown Hull and everywhere in downtown Ottawa, even inside a mall under 3 stories of building!!!!!!

However I found that when I go to Kanata or anywhere outside of the downtown core the reception is poor. Even on a street pointing the radio at the sky!!!!

So the relays in a city are HUGE for reception without an antenna. I wonder what if they would work in the subway in Montreal or not.

Anyone know?

I saw headphones made for XM radios that have an antenna built in at Future shop. I wonder if those would alleviate all problems in using it as a walkman. Anyone have those?

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
I live in Ottawa and have an XM portable. In the car with an antenna it works everywhere inside the city, outside the city. But when it is used as a walkman their is no antenna. It works in my apartment in downtown Hull and everywhere in downtown Ottawa, even inside a mall under 3 stories of building!!!!!!

However I found that when I go to Kanata or anywhere outside of the downtown core the reception is poor. Even on a street pointing the radio at the sky!!!!

So the relays in a city are HUGE for reception without an antenna. I wonder what if they would work in the subway in Montreal or not.

Anyone know?

I saw headphones made for XM radios that have an antenna built in at Future shop. I wonder if those would alleviate all problems in using it as a walkman. Anyone have those?
I read in the satellite radio thread in the Entertainment forum that the antenna headphones help. I have my doubts about receiving a signal in the metro but haven't heard either way.

Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences, especially with the Inno/portable devices!

- Ron

Old
10-15-2006, 10:50 AM
24Cups

OK, but what about the Sirius, XM trade-off? I'm ready to get a portable Wi-Fi unit but don't know whether to get the Pioneer XM or the Sirius Stiletto.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 12:53 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
XM Delphi Sky-Fi owner since Novermber of last year. Have the car kit and the home kit as well. XM is absolutely insane as far as selection and quality. The main reason why I picked XM over Sirius is mainly beacuse the units offered by XM were of superior build and quality. A firend has Sirius and it sounds "alright" compared to XM.

That being said, Im an audio fanatic and have a pretty loud car stereo, so if you plan on using XM in your car with aftermarket speakers, and amps, try to use the line-in option so that you dont have to use the FM transmitter.

Back in November, satellite radio was very new in Canada, and everyone said "why pay for radio". Well it's not radio. Anyone who listens to it, will tell you that commercial free music from artists that you barely hear on FM as well as a wide variety of uncensored content is well worth the 12 bucks a month.

Oh and the nice unit mounted on your dashboard looks hella crispy at night and makes people look

Have Fun

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:15 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I just got a new car and XM radio was included. I live in Montreal and the reception is perfect everywhere I've gone including my country house.I love the "Chill" channel # 84.
what kind of car?

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
BobbyFischer*

Sirius > XM

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 01:34 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Sirius > XM
and XM > Sirius

Totally depends on what you listen to.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 02:29 PM
plafleur10

Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
what kind of car?
GMC YUKON SUV, it comes standard, didn't even ask for XM, first 3 mos free, then you have to pay 12.95 per mo, have to decide if I will take it or not in 2 mos.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote