HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who was the 1st "Next One"?

Old
10-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Who was the 1st "Next One"?

I remember Lindros, Lecavalier, and Crosby (among others) bearing the moniker "The Next One" at one time or another. Who was the first one to recieve this title?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Vintage93

I believe it was Lindros

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Metallian*

lindros

and it was coined in this old Molstar "best of" video i have

the guy narrating it was all over lindros like p-mac is on phaneuf

"HUGE HIT BY THE NEXT ONE"

"THE NEXT ONE SHOWING WHY HES THE NEXT ONE"

god

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
SniperTom

The first that I recall was compared to Gretzky (I'm not sure he was called "The next one") was Dale Hawerchuk. I'm thinking Lindros when I hear "the next one".

Hope this helps

SniperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Blackjack

Lindros had/has all the tools to be the best player in hockey. Maybe not Gretzky, but if not for his injuries no one would laugh at the Lindros/Forsburg trade.

Lecavalier was going to be the "Michael Jordan of hockey".

I think Crosby was the only one that Gretzky himself hyped.

Don't forget Alexander Daigle who was a huge flop, but he came just after Lindros.

I would say Lindros was the first after Lemieux...

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Sens Rule

The first "next one" was Mario. And he fulfilled the expectations I should think. The next one was Lindros and the one after that was Crosby.

No one else has ever been hyped up SOOOOO much before they skated at least after Gretzky.

Before that I think Orr had the hype before he started. And also Potvin I think to a lesser degree. Lafleur was super hyped I believe. Gretzky was massively hyped though I think many discounted him based on his size until he shone as a rookie.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Plato

vCash: 100000
this thread made me depressed for some reason

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 05:48 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Lecavalier was never realistically put in that category. Just the one stupid comment by a ******** owner.

Lemieux, Lindros, and Crosby I think is the right answer. Since unlike most top prospects, they were projected to be HHOFers, not simply stars.

If you look at Lindros's career pre-concussions, and the projected career path of Crosby, and I'd say the predictions were pretty accurate.

arrbez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Heat McManus

I was looking more for the exact title of "The Next One". It looks like it was Lindros.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Lundmark17

Early on wasn't Spezza looked at as someone who would be more than a great player in the NHL? I don't know if he ever got "Next One" billing though.

Lundmark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundmark17 View Post
Early on wasn't Spezza looked at as someone who would be more than a great player in the NHL? I don't know if he ever got "Next One" billing though.
Speztzky has been used as a moniker for him. But it was not the kind of hype Mario, Lindros and Crosby got.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
reckoning

I`d say the ten most hyped prospects since 1980 would be in order (the top three were way ahead in media attention):

Eric Lindros
Sydney Crosby
Mario Lemieux

Mike Ricci
Brian Bellows
Alexander Mogilny (only after he defected)
Pat LaFontaine
Alexander Daigle
Jason Spezza
Alexander Ovechkin

Interesting that some of them didn`t end up going #1 on the draft.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Buddhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
this thread made me depressed for some reason
Me too . Lemieux was absolutely great, but his career seems to be cut short due to continuing injuries. The story of Lindros is similar although he is definitely a big step behind Lemieux talent-wise. Lecavalier has not lived up to the expectations despite the fact that he is around for 8 years and has not had injury problems like Mario and Lindros did. Daigle is pretty much a bust. I think durability goes into the equation big time for Gretzky's greatness and No.1 ever status. I really hope Crosby has a long and healthy career - while he may not duplicate Gretzky's record numbers, he could at least come relatively close (say, 2000 career points?)

Buddhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:18 AM
04' hockey

[QUOTE=Cup 2007 Sens Rule!;6770340]The first "next one" was Mario. And he fulfilled the expectations I should think. The next one was Lindros and the one after that was Crosby.

No one else has ever been hyped up SOOOOO much before they skated at least after Gretzky.

Before that I think Orr had the hype before he started. And also Potvin I think to a lesser degree. Lafleur was super hyped I believe. Gretzky was massively hyped though I think many discounted him based on his size until he shone as a rookie.[/QUOT\\

ORR not only met expectations but left them in his dust!

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:48 AM
hockeyprincess

Mario Lemieux

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
I`d say the ten most hyped prospects since 1980 would be in order (the top three were way ahead in media attention):

Eric Lindros
Sydney Crosby
Mario Lemieux

Mike Ricci
Brian Bellows
Alexander Mogilny (only after he defected)
Pat LaFontaine
Alexander Daigle
Jason Spezza
Alexander Ovechkin

Interesting that some of them didn`t end up going #1 on the draft.
Good work, reck, although I'd have Ovechkin much higher. He was the subject of great scrutiny from the scouts since he was about 15 years old.

In terms of "the Next One" billing, Lindros was the first to have that burden. Daigle received plenty of hype, but there were several other players from that 1993 draft who captivated the scouts. Pronger was the next Larry Robinson. Victor Kozlov was the Russian Mario Lemieux. Rob Niedermayer was a bigger version of Mike Gartner. Paul Kariya was a future assists leader.

Joe Thornton hasn't been mentioned yet, but he was labelled as a sure-fire franchise player in 1997. Drew comparisons to Bobby Smith, Eric Lindros and even Jean Beliveau. There were some in the scouting fraternity who compared Lecavalier to Mario Lemieux - a big, powerful, super-skilled centre from Quebec. But there were others who viewed Lecavalier as Pierre Turgeon with size. Hmmm, I wonder who was right.

Kovalchuk had a lot of hype, with some scouts labelling him the best prospect since Lindros. So did Spezza. He was viewed as the next great Canadian playmaking centre from the moment he stepped on the ice with the Brampton Batallion as a 15-year-old.

Jay Bouwmeester was labelled as a franchise defenceman when he was a 15-year-old midget in Edmonton. His skating ability and size drew Bobby Orr comparisons. At one point, THN said (paraphrase) "We don't know who'll go first overall in this year's (2001) draft, but we do know who'll go No. 1 next year: Jay Bouwmeester."

Mike Ricci was lauded as quite possibly the best player to ever come out of the Peterborough Petes system when he was 16. He has had a nice career, but his skating really held him back. Outside of an 80-point campaign in 1992-93 with Quebec, he never came close to expectations. Mogilny's one of many former Soviet stars who came to North America amid a plethora of hype. Bure, Fedorov, of course, among the younger players, but another one was Valery Kamensky, who was really held back by injuries in his first couple seasons.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Good work, reck, although I'd have Ovechkin much higher. He was the subject of great scrutiny from the scouts since he was about 15 years old.

In terms of "the Next One" billing, Lindros was the first to have that burden. Daigle received plenty of hype, but there were several other players from that 1993 draft who captivated the scouts. Pronger was the next Larry Robinson. Victor Kozlov was the Russian Mario Lemieux. Rob Niedermayer was a bigger version of Mike Gartner. Paul Kariya was a future assists leader.

Joe Thornton hasn't been mentioned yet, but he was labelled as a sure-fire franchise player in 1997. Drew comparisons to Bobby Smith, Eric Lindros and even Jean Beliveau. There were some in the scouting fraternity who compared Lecavalier to Mario Lemieux - a big, powerful, super-skilled centre from Quebec. But there were others who viewed Lecavalier as Pierre Turgeon with size. Hmmm, I wonder who was right.

Kovalchuk had a lot of hype, with some scouts labelling him the best prospect since Lindros. So did Spezza. He was viewed as the next great Canadian playmaking centre from the moment he stepped on the ice with the Brampton Batallion as a 15-year-old.

Jay Bouwmeester was labelled as a franchise defenceman when he was a 15-year-old midget in Edmonton. His skating ability and size drew Bobby Orr comparisons. At one point, THN said (paraphrase) "We don't know who'll go first overall in this year's (2001) draft, but we do know who'll go No. 1 next year: Jay Bouwmeester."

Mike Ricci was lauded as quite possibly the best player to ever come out of the Peterborough Petes system when he was 16. He has had a nice career, but his skating really held him back. Outside of an 80-point campaign in 1992-93 with Quebec, he never came close to expectations. Mogilny's one of many former Soviet stars who came to North America amid a plethora of hype. Bure, Fedorov, of course, among the younger players, but another one was Valery Kamensky, who was really held back by injuries in his first couple seasons.
I would add Owen Nolan to this list as well. When he was drafted, San Jose was about to start its first season and was given the first pick in each round, except for the first round, when Quebec was given the first pick and San Jose picked #2. I believe the unspoken reason was that Nolan would be a franchise player and it would be unfair to let the Sharks have him. I remember Nolan being stuck on 1-3-4 season totals for most of his first season in Quebec, then he went on a late scoring spree to end up with about 10 points I think. I was convinced that he was a bust after that first year, and was certainly wrong on that score.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 12:34 PM
albertGQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
I would add Owen Nolan to this list as well. When he was drafted, San Jose was about to start its first season and was given the first pick in each round, except for the first round, when Quebec was given the first pick and San Jose picked #2. I believe the unspoken reason was that Nolan would be a franchise player and it would be unfair to let the Sharks have him. I remember Nolan being stuck on 1-3-4 season totals for most of his first season in Quebec, then he went on a late scoring spree to end up with about 10 points I think. I was convinced that he was a bust after that first year, and was certainly wrong on that score.
You got your years mixed up. That was in 1991, not 1990. 1991 was when Eric Lindros got chosedn 1st overall followed by the Sharks picking Pat Falloon

In 1990, Nolan went first to the Nordiques, followed by Nedved (Vancouver), Primeau (Red Wings), Ricci (Flyers), and then Jagr (Pens)

Your reasoning for Nolan was the NHLs reason for Lindros in 1991

albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
katodelder

Lindros was the first 'Next One'.

Next One is a play on words for the 'Great One'.

When Lemieux came into the league Gretzky wasn't yet regarded as the 'Great One'.

In the years following Lindros the moniker 'Next One' was then diluted and misued on players such as Lecavalier and Spezza, especially after it became painfully apparent that Lindros would not fulfill his lofty potential, leaving the Canadian media starved and searching for the true 'Next One'. Interstingly enough Kovalchuk was chosen ahead of Spezza in the 2001 draft, but of course the 'Next One' had to be Canadian.

Soon after, Crosby came on the scene and ended the debate fairly quickly on who should be annointed the true 'Next One', especially after Gretzky's personal indorsement. And unlike Lindros, it looks like he could actually fulfill this expectation, barring injury. Crosby will cease to be the 'Next One' or 'Sid the Kid' once he does what Lindros couldn't -- win multiple scoring titles, Hart trophies, and at least two Stanley Cups -- at which time he'll get his own nickname.

Another moniker we might hear used soon will be the 'Next Next One'. And I beleive the prime candidate is young John Tavares, who's draft eligible in 2009. Interestingly enough, the cadence between Gretzky and Lemieux (five years) almost matches that of Crosby and Tavares (four years). So the true 'Next Next One' should actually apply to the next great generational talent, who was probably just recently born, is just now learning to skate, should come into the public conciousness in about 5 to 10 years, and could be drafted sometime around 2020.

The question is... will the true 'Next Next One' be Canadian? Since the game of hockey is expanding worldwide, it is a good possibility that the next great generational talent who possesses Gretzky and Crosby-like qualities will be born abroad. Will the Canadian media accept such an occurance? Time will tell.

katodelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 01:57 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder View Post
Lindros was the first 'Next One'.

Next One is a play on words for the 'Great One'.

When Lemieux came into the league Gretzky wasn't yet regarded as the 'Great One'.

In the years following Lindros the moniker 'Next One' was then diluted and misued on players such as Lecavalier and Spezza, especially after it became painfully apparent that Lindros would not fulfill his lofty potential, leaving the Canadian media starved and searching for the true 'Next One'. Interstingly enough Kovalchuk was chosen ahead of Spezza in the 2001 draft, but of course the 'Next One' had to be Canadian.

Soon after, Crosby came on the scene and ended the debate fairly quickly on who should be annointed the true 'Next One', especially after Gretzky's personal indorsement. And unlike Lindros, it looks like he could actually fulfill this expectation, barring injury. Crosby will cease to be the 'Next One' or 'Sid the Kid' once he does what Lindros couldn't -- win multiple scoring titles, Hart trophies, and at least two Stanley Cups -- at which time he'll get his own nickname.

Another moniker we might hear used soon will be the 'Next Next One'. And I beleive the prime candidate is young John Tavares, who's draft eligible in 2009. Interestingly enough, the cadence between Gretzky and Lemieux (five years) almost matches that of Crosby and Tavares (four years). So the true 'Next Next One' should actually apply to the next great generational talent, who was probably just recently born, is just now learning to skate, should come into the public conciousness in about 5 to 10 years, and could be drafted sometime around 2020.

The question is... will the true 'Next Next One' be Canadian? Since the game of hockey is expanding worldwide, it is a good possibility that the next great generational talent who possesses Gretzky and Crosby-like qualities will be born abroad. Will the Canadian media accept such an occurance? Time will tell.
Lecavalier was more along the lines of the "Micheal Jordan of hockey" rather than the Next One. Lindros and Crosby are the only two I'd put there.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
katodelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Lindros and Crosby are the only two I'd put there.
I'd go one further and omit Lindros. In terms of generational 'Great Ones', my chain of command would be:

Howe---->Orr---->Gretzky---->Crosby---->???circa2020

katodelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Mike Ricci was the first time I heard a young, gritty player, be referred to as a "future captain" and hence being a guy that a team would never let go of. Interesting that he's now on his fourth organization.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder View Post
I'd go one further and omit Lindros. In terms of generational 'Great Ones', my chain of command would be:

Howe---->Orr---->Gretzky---->Crosby---->???circa2020
In terms of build-up to an NHL career, you can't omit Lindros.

IMO his pre-NHL career was more impressive than Crosby's. If you look at their 18 year old seasons in junior:

Crosby: 62 games: 66g, 102a, 168p, 84pm. 31 points in 13 playoff games.

Lindros: 57 games: 71g, 78a, 149p, 189pm. 38 points in 16 playoff games.

The offensive stats are fairly equal (2.7 ppg vs. 2.6), but I think it tips decidedly in Lindros' favour when you take into account that he may have been the most physically dominating junior player ever. The guy played for the Canadian International Men's team as a 16 year old, lead his OHL team in playoff scoring and won the Memorial Cup as a 17 year old, was by far the best player in junior hockey by 18, and played on the national team, Olympic team, and Canada Cup team the next year. All before he played in the NHL.

So to re-iterate my point, you HAVE to have Lindros in your list of "next ones". You cant just ignore him because his career doesn't fall conveniently after the "Gretzky Era" like Crosby's does.

arrbez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:03 PM
capn89*

If Lindros didn't end up having injury problems he would have probably smashed all of Mario's numbers, and even given "The Great One" a run for his money. In Lindros' healthy prime, he dominated everyone.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
You got your years mixed up. That was in 1991, not 1990. 1991 was when Eric Lindros got chosedn 1st overall followed by the Sharks picking Pat Falloon

In 1990, Nolan went first to the Nordiques, followed by Nedved (Vancouver), Primeau (Red Wings), Ricci (Flyers), and then Jagr (Pens)

Your reasoning for Nolan was the NHLs reason for Lindros in 1991
Aha. Thanks for straightening me out.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote