HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who was the 1st "Next One"?

Old
10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Dr. Charles

vCash: 500
I remember hearing Paul Kariya being the next Gretzky...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89 View Post
If Lindros didn't end up having injury problems he would have probably smashed all of Mario's numbers, and even given "The Great One" a run for his money. In Lindros' healthy prime, he dominated everyone.
well...that's assuming Mario never had injury problems.

Lindros was never on the Lemiuex/Gretzky level offensively.

While he was among the very elite in the league offensively, he didn't have that insane separation between him and the other stars like Lemieux or Gretzky. Even if healthy, Lindros wasn't going to win a scoring title by 40 points.

His physical game is what elevated him over your average offensive superstar like a Paul Kariya or Mats Sundin.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Malkinchuk

Jason Bonsignore

Malkinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
I remember hearing Paul Kariya being the next Gretzky...
if he was considered the next gretzky he would have been picked 1rst overall

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
If Lindros didn't end up having injury problems he would have probably smashed all of Mario's numbers, and even given "The Great One" a run for his money. In Lindros' healthy prime, he dominated everyone.
...and if Mario hadn't injury problems Lindros would never ever been on the same race track as Lemieux.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
A healthy Lindros doesn't even approach Gretzky. Even if he played as many years as Gordie Howe did.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
DevilsSMASH

http://heyscott.ytmnd.com

DevilsSMASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
I`d say the ten most hyped prospects since 1980 would be in order (the top three were way ahead in media attention):

Eric Lindros
Sydney Crosby
Mario Lemieux

Mike Ricci
Brian Bellows
Alexander Mogilny (only after he defected)
Pat LaFontaine
Alexander Daigle
Jason Spezza
Alexander Ovechkin

Interesting that some of them didn`t end up going #1 on the draft.
You're forgetting Schremp....

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaa View Post
Me too . Lemieux was absolutely great, but his career seems to be cut short due to continuing injuries. The story of Lindros is similar although he is definitely a big step behind Lemieux talent-wise. Lecavalier has not lived up to the expectations despite the fact that he is around for 8 years and has not had injury problems like Mario and Lindros did. Daigle is pretty much a bust. I think durability goes into the equation big time for Gretzky's greatness and No.1 ever status. I really hope Crosby has a long and healthy career - while he may not duplicate Gretzky's record numbers, he could at least come relatively close (say, 2000 career points?)
While certainly behind TGO and Mario, I don't know if the gap was all that big. Until injuries mounted, Lindros was at a level only the best of all time could surpass. He wasn't as dominant of a scorer as Mario or Wayne (though it is worth noting that he was among the top-5 per-game before the fall), but he was FAR more physical than either. Lindros physical dominance helps close the scoring gap. Put Sakic's scoring with Scott Steven's physical play and Brind'Amour's prowess on face-offs and you got Lindros.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
JCD

Quote:
Oh come on now...

Lindros was never even close to the offense powerhouse of Mario or Wayne. Not even close. Even at his peak, he was still only in the top-5 All Time with a WIDE gap to the Big Two. Lindros was never going to get a sniff of 2000 career points. He was never going to put up 2-points-per-game in any single SEASON, much less AVERAGE that for close to a decade.

Now, his physical play does make up for a fair bit. But you don't seem to be talking about impact on the game, but actual scoring.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

If healthy Lindros could've won multiple Harts and scoring titles but just not by 55 points. Gretzky and Lemieux were miles ahead of opponents. Lindros was mere inches ahead. But his physical ability gave him a different dimension which was why he was so highly touted. When he was in juniors he looked like Chara vs an army of midgets every night.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
if he was considered the next gretzky he would have been picked 1rst overall
The Kariya hype really started happening after he was in the NHL and had that monster year in his sophmore season. That's when people started calling him Mini Gretzky or whatever it was.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If healthy Lindros could've won multiple Harts and scoring titles but just not by 55 points. Gretzky and Lemieux were miles ahead of opponents. Lindros was mere inches ahead. But his physical ability gave him a different dimension which was why he was so highly touted. When he was in juniors he looked like Chara vs an army of midgets every night.
Exactly. While Lindros was clearly behind Gretzky and Lemieux in terms of pure skill and creative vision for offense, his physical dimension made him a force above the likes of Jagr, Forsberg, Sakic, etc. Lindros was an excellent talent with an even better physical body and unmatched aggressiveness. Since 2000, he has clearly shied away from his old game, which has made him much less effective and productive.

Old
10-25-2006, 11:43 PM
hfboardsuser

Bobby Carpenter was another name hyped greatly during his draft year, ending up on the cover of SI.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Stephen

I have a couple of other names to throw in the ring as superhyped prospects:

Sergei Samsonov was being touted as the number one pick and sure fire franchise player as early as 1995.

Dan Cleary was also hyped as a 15 year old in the NHL, but expectations were scaled back as he failed to really develop in junior, picking up a lazy reputation along the way.

Old
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Defense_1st

Wasn't Valeri Kamensky called the russian Wayne Gretzky..........and don't forget the polish Gretzky Marius Czerkawski!

Defense_1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Alexander Daigle was never really touted as the Next Gretzky. As a kid from Montreal, he was automatically expected to be like Mario Lemieux. Not really a "Next One".

But yeah, Lindros, Crosby, a bit of Kariya as well.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
ozzie

I grew up looking forward to Lindros and I often wondered what he would of had to do, to put himself in the elite category. To be talked about in the same breath as Gretzky, Lemiuex, Howe and Orr. Obviously no one expected Lindros to put up 2 points a game, or did they?, he obviously didnt have the same offensive abilities as the names above, except maybe Howe.

So I guess my question is, what did Lindros have to do, looking back 16 years later, to be consider one of the top 5 best elite players in the history of the game.

His Physical abilities and the way he dominated a game in my mind make up for a lack of points, but how much would he have had to score for you to consider him int he same breath as the 5 above and maybe the greatest of all time, or at least considered.

Taking into consideration his best season, at least if you factor in his ppg/missed games, I believe it would have been around 128-130 points.

Would 45-50 goals a year, 120-125 points been enough? with his physical game? or is it simply trophys he needed?. 5 art ross? more harts? playoff success?.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I grew up looking forward to Lindros and I often wondered what he would of had to do, to put himself in the elite category. To be talked about in the same breath as Gretzky, Lemiuex, Howe and Orr. Obviously no one expected Lindros to put up 2 points a game, or did they?, he obviously didnt have the same offensive abilities as the names above, except maybe Howe.

So I guess my question is, what did Lindros have to do, looking back 16 years later, to be consider one of the top 5 best elite players in the history of the game.

His Physical abilities and the way he dominated a game in my mind make up for a lack of points, but how much would he have had to score for you to consider him int he same breath as the 5 above and maybe the greatest of all time, or at least considered.

Taking into consideration his best season, at least if you factor in his ppg/missed games, I believe it would have been around 128-130 points.

Would 45-50 goals a year, 120-125 points been enough? with his physical game? or is it simply trophys he needed?. 5 art ross? more harts? playoff success?.
That is an interesting question. Lindros was scoring huge numbers early in his career, but I don't think people were satisfied with the numbers that he was putting up. I think if he had managed to stay a little more healthy and had scored a few more points in 1994 and 1999, he would have had 3 100 point seasons. He came close to 50 goals a few times, and I think people might look at him with a bit more appreciation if he had reached that plateau.

I think what really hurt Eric is the fact that he rejected Quebec and had that cloud of controversy over him. Maybe if he had just played in Quebec the expectations would have been slightly less. A 19 year old being traded for half a team's best players and prospects, picks and $15 million is going to put more pressure on you.

If Lindros and the Flyers had won the cup in 1997, and if Canada hadn't completely melted down in 1998 at the Olympics, I think his career would have been held in much higher esteem. Instead of this checkered reputation he'd be more respected as a player. Maybe somewhere between Mats Sundin and Steve Yzerman.

This is all speculation though. The fact is Lindros would have needed to have had a full career unblemished by terrible injuries and full of awards and championships to have even approached Lemieux and Gretzky.

Old
10-27-2006, 09:32 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
The thing about Lindros being the next one is not necessarily that people thought he was going to be as good as Gretzky. It's that so rarely is there a prospect that you can project as a superstar the second he steps into the league, almost without a doubt.

Most great players are taken high and everyone knows the potential is there, but not everyone is convinced that this guy WILL be a star. There's supposed "can't miss" prospects like Spezza or Daigle, and then there's that next level of "absolutely no way this kid WON'T dominate" with Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, etc. Guy who are just too good and too driven to fail.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
mattihp

I remember the hockeyexperts calling Swiss Miss Michel Riesen the next Jari Kurri ^^

Old
10-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Karamahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I remember the hockeyexperts calling Swiss Miss Michel Riesen the next Jari Kurri ^^
12 nhl games and 1 assist later we can safely say that they were wrong.

Karamahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamahti View Post
12 nhl games and 1 assist later we can safely say that they were wrong.
I actually thought he'd get a new shot in the New NHL XD

His wristshot is sick...

But then again... I was almost sure that Pärssinen and Rintanen would also be wearing NHL jerseys by now...

Old
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Karamahti*

Aki "Berg" Berg was compared to Scott Stevens in the finnish media in his draft year. Didn´t quite pan out either

Karamahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamahti View Post
Aki "Berg" Berg was compared to Scott Stevens in the finnish media in his draft year. Didn´t quite pan out either
Yeah... Scott could never really fill Aki-Petteri's shoes, so he retired.