HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Sabres

Old
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
...pretty sure Canadian viewers can catch it on TSN.

All I want is for the Flyers to lead at some point so I don't have to deal with Pierre "Mr.Negative and the Sabres are God" McGuire for the whole game.

LET'S GO FLYERS!
Oh Lord.... be prepared for a full evening of SABRESPEED talk. Salzy, if you're around, throw a few jokes over here to make it at least entertaining.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Jester

i would bet for a close game that we lose...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Telecom

Can't wait for the really awesome and super intelligent sabres fans to come around like usual

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm a Sabres fan and I think any team with Forsberg and Gagne has a chance against any team in the NHL. We are 5-0 but the only game that did not go to the wire was last Saturday against the Rangers. The Sabres will come at you for a full sixty minutes.

Telecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecom View Post
Can't wait for the really awesome and super intelligent sabres fans to come around like usual

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm a Sabres fan and I think any team with Forsberg and Gagne has a chance against any team in the NHL. We are 5-0 but the only game that did not go to the wire was last Saturday against the Rangers. The Sabres will come at you for a full sixty minutes.
not interested in starting a war... however, Sabre Trolls are easily among the most "aggravating" that i've seen... and that goes for every hockey site i've been to.

no joke.

Old
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
not interested in starting a war... however, Sabre Trolls are easily among the most "aggravating" that i've seen... and that goes for every hockey site i've been to.
I love it when they start talking Brett Hull.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Norm MacDonald

I think it's going to be closer than most people here think. Obviously, the Sabres are the better team, but Hitch has had a lot of time to rethink the playoffs. I bet they have been preparing for this matchup a long time.

Also, does anyone know when Jonsson is due back?

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
hockeyprincess

Chris Drury scraps with Simon Gagne.
Daniel Briere bites Gagne.
The truth is revealed about Daniel!
Fangs a lot.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I'm a Sabres fan from Buffalo who went to college in Philly. So while we may battle on these boards, at least we can empathize with eachother.

The Sabres are undefeated thus far, but their play hasn't really matched the record. They seem to be living by the proverbial on/off switch. If you guys come in hard, the game is there for the taking.
That's pretty much my only hope right now. The Sabres have had to come from behind in every one of their victories, and that can be exhausting.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
...pretty sure Canadian viewers can catch it on TSN.

All I want is for the Flyers to lead at some point so I don't have to deal with Pierre "Mr.Negative and the Sabres are God" McGuire for the whole game.

LET'S GO FLYERS!
Yeah I'm thrilled it's on tsn.

On the positive side, we don't have to listen to that jackass homer Sabres announcer who ***** his pants everytime a goal is scored by Sabrespeed.

On the negative side, there's a chance we have to listen to McGuire ******* Saprespeed every 5 seconds.

Any chance tsn shows the Versus feed? Isn't this game national in the US? TSN sometimes showed the OLN feed last year on Tuesdays.

If I have to listen to McGuire suck off the Sabres for nearly 3 hours I might just kill myself. He loves the Sabres and he loves bashing the Flyers even more. **** I hate that guy.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yeah I'm thrilled it's on tsn.

On the positive side, we don't have to listen to that jackass homer Sabres announcer who ***** his pants everytime a goal is scored by Sabrespeed.

On the negative side, there's a chance we have to listen to McGuire ******* Saprespeed every 5 seconds.

Any chance tsn shows the Versus feed? Isn't this game national in the US? TSN sometimes showed the OLN feed last year on Tuesdays.

If I have to listen to McGuire suck off the Sabres for nearly 3 hours I might just kill myself. He loves the Sabres and he loves bashing the Flyers even more. **** I hate that guy.
the games is on versus here in the states. Thank God I dont have to listen to the tsn feed and listen to Mcguire's man crush on Tomas Vanek or the Sabre feed listening to Jenerrete.
I said it before and I will say it again. We are winning that game tomorrow night.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

no joke.
Buffalo Fans here. I like these dialogues and hope that some idiot fans from Buffalo dont start just slinging crap. Likewise, good intelligent hockey talk by flyers fans is good too. So far, the Sabgres fans in this thread have been cool and rational.

I will say that I expect Philly to be pissed off and give Buffalo a lot of problems.
Buffalo has not played a full 60 minutes in any game. There have been points in the last three games against the Sens, Wings and Rangers where they were being outshot VERY badly. (Wings 20-4 or something, 2-0 lead.) (Rangers 11-1..Buffalo went on a 28 to 5 shot swing by the end of the second.)

PHILLY WINS IF: I would not count on Philly winning by playing "smash you through the boards" physical. Buffalo doesnt get intimidated. Just need to be outhustle us, win in the corners, get on the board early, dont take your foot off the brakes. Most importantly, dont make mistakes. No soft goals.

BUFFALO WINS IF: Transition game is on. Dont take stupid penalties. Convert power plays. Continue to play where they just wont quit. Goalie palys well.

flyingpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
the games is on versus here in the states. Thank God I dont have to listen to the tsn feed and listen to Mcguire's man crush on Tomas Vanek or the Sabre feed listening to Jenerrete.
I said it before and I will say it again. We are winning that game tomorrow night.
Ahh, I had forgotten it was Vs.! No Jenerrette...thank God. He is horrendous to listen to. Although Maguire is almost as bad. Listening to him during any Flyers game is ridiculous, the last one even more so. No, Mike Richards isn't known as a goalscorer, jackass. Every scouting report, including the one from TSN, you know, the folks you're working for, say he's a playmaker. In fact, it specifically says he's NOT a goalscorer, and his passing skills will be where most of his points come from. And no, Forsberg didn't have surgery on both feet, it was on one. Which is why he's playing in this game, you tool, and not still trying to learn how to walk again. God, it was almost like listening to Tim McCarver that last game. Utterly pointless drivel, worshipping one team and spewing garbage that isn't close to reality.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
Thank God, that means tsn should show the Versus feed.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Buffalo Fans here. I like these dialogues and hope that some idiot fans from Buffalo dont start just slinging crap. Likewise, good intelligent hockey talk by flyers fans is good too. So far, the Sabgres fans in this thread have been cool and rational.

I will say that I expect Philly to be pissed off and give Buffalo a lot of problems.
Buffalo has not played a full 60 minutes in any game. There have been points in the last three games against the Sens, Wings and Rangers where they were being outshot VERY badly. (Wings 20-4 or something, 2-0 lead.) (Rangers 11-1..Buffalo went on a 28 to 5 shot swing by the end of the second.)

PHILLY WINS IF: I would not count on Philly winning by playing "smash you through the boards" physical. Buffalo doesnt get intimidated. Just need to be outhustle us, win in the corners, get on the board early, dont take your foot off the brakes. Most importantly, dont make mistakes. No soft goals.

BUFFALO WINS IF: Transition game is on. Dont take stupid penalties. Convert power plays. Continue to play where they just wont quit. Goalie palys well.

we're sadly lacking in physical play... outside of some action from Hatcher and Gauthier.

Old
10-16-2006, 02:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Buffalo has got ALOT of bounces so far this year to tie games/get the games to the shootout. They have started slow the past two games but finally got their legs under them late in the 1st period vs NYR.

They have been good, but have room improvement. I wouldn;'t be shocked to see the Flyers walk out of Buffalo with 2 pts when all is said and done.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

Keep their feet on the brakes? That might not go real well.

Buffalo has come out of the gates REAL slow this year and although it will be home ice I would not be surprised if they do it again. Philly should still have the playoff exit in mind and be plenty motivated. If they come out hustling and get up by a few goals early on they certainly have a chance at a win, especially with Nitty in goal.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 02:19 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
we're sadly lacking in physical play... outside of some action from Hatcher and Gauthier.
I dont look at your team as lacking in physical play. I thought you guys tried too hard to run the Sabres through the boards last playoffs, and it hurt you.

You now have to be physically capable and quick, but not physically dominating. BUffalo does not have a brusing defenseman. You dont need that any longer. Although one doesnt hurt, as long as he can skate and is smart.

Instead, the Sabres D usually play very sound positionally, get their body on their player, block shots, and hustle in the corner.

Old
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Keep their feet on the brakes? That might not go real well.

Buffalo has come out of the gates REAL slow this year and although it will be home ice I would not be surprised if they do it again. Philly should still have the playoff exit in mind and be plenty motivated. If they come out hustling and get up by a few goals early on they certainly have a chance at a win, especially with Nitty in goal.
Duh...foot of the gas!!!! Sorry. Not much sleep here. Without power since Thursday. Tree limbs through roof, flooded basement. Yet, I still talk hockey.

Old
10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
I dont look at your team as lacking in physical play. I thought you guys tried too hard to run the Sabres through the boards last playoffs, and it hurt you.

You now have to be physically capable and quick, but not physically dominating. BUffalo does not have a brusing defenseman. You dont need that any longer. Although one doesnt hurt, as long as he can skate and is smart.

Instead, the Sabres D usually play very sound positionally, get their body on their player, block shots, and hustle in the corner.
we are NOT a physical team... trust me. the only guys that will look to hit the opponent are Hatcher and Gauthier.

Old
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
we are NOT a physical team... trust me. the only guys that will look to hit the opponent are Hatcher and Gauthier.
Dont worry, that will be coached out of them soon. Hitch has already told Gauthier to stop hitting.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
runkle

Quote:
C'mon now... Forsberg and Richards will play physical too.

4 out of 23 isn't bad, right? right??

ugh...

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Dont worry, that will be coached out of them soon. Hitch has already told Gauthier to stop hitting.
That's not true. However, someone did have a talk with Gauthier about picking his spots better and it seems to have worked so far. He's been very good so far this year. His game against the Rangers last week (the 4-2 win) was the best that I've ever seen him play in a Flyers uniform. I think Gauthier has finally realized he doesn't need to hammer someone every time he's on the ice. His presence alone is enough to have players keep their heads up and that's a good sign.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
i understand your gripe but gauthier is playing much better because of it. bad example

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Oh, brother. Esche's quote in Tim P's blog:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3266

Why did Hitch choose Buffalo, I asked Esche.

I dont know I dont try getting into his head that for sure, Esche replied. Its an empty place.

Ouch!

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Oh, brother. Esche's quote in Tim P's blog:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3266

Why did Hitch choose Buffalo, I asked Esche.

I dont know I dont try getting into his head that for sure, Esche replied. Its an empty place.

Ouch!
Esche is a lunatic also, so it's a good setup. it's absolutely BRILLIANT to be taking shots at the coach when he already seems hesitant (rightfully so) to put you out there.