HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Sabres

Old
10-16-2006, 05:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Esche is a lunatic also, so it's a good setup. it's absolutely BRILLIANT to be taking shots at the coach when he already seems hesitant (rightfully so) to put you out there.
I don't know the tone of the statement but if it is said with the slightest hint of despair, as it is portrayed in the article, then it could be Esche's way of wanting out town.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I don't know the tone of the statement but if it is said with the slightest hint of despair, as it is portrayed in the article, then it could be Esche's way of wanting out town.
Anyone want to start an Esche travel fund? I'll throw in a buck!

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
i saw the video of it on DNL a few minutes ago and its very tough to tell if he's joking. i sorta think he is, but on the other hand...

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
i saw the video of it on DNL a few minutes ago and its very tough to tell if he's joking. i sorta think he is, but on the other hand...
When I read the quote I thought he was joking too but watching the clip on the website I would lean in the definitely not joking category... yikes!

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by runkletm View Post
When I read the quote I thought he was joking too but watching the clip on the website I would lean in the definitely not joking category... yikes!

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/
Heh, if Esche wasn't on the Flyers I bet we'd think he's hilarious.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Heh, if Esche wasn't on the Flyers I bet we'd think he's hilarious.
oh, i think he's hilarious... i have a friend who is a tampa fan that absolutely hates him. go figure. i have a lot of respect for Esche and i enjoy athletes who don't have the filter between their brain and mouth.

however... for his own sake he should learn when it's wise and when it's not wise to take shots at the coach.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Dont worry, that will be coached out of them soon. Hitch has already told Gauthier to stop hitting.
erm... if Hitch had his way you'd still be allowed to knock the crap out of people in front of the net. Hitch's only complaint against players that hit is that they do so when it makes sense to do so... the problem with McGillis was that he was always getting himself out of position (he's in the AHL for the Devils now, so don't act like Hitch was wrong about that).

given that Gauthier was boarding someone every other game and whatnot... i think he needed to reign it in considerably. Gauthier is going to get some people, but he needs to be smarter about it and not get himself into trouble out there.

Old
10-16-2006, 08:10 PM
flyersfan97

I'm going with definitely NOT joking. Thanks to whoever it was who supplied the video for those of us who are out of the area.

All that being said, I think he's going with Esche because he knows we're going to get spanked so why bruise Niitty's ego. Besides, Esche did a stellar job against them in April (**cough**cough**)

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I'm going with definitely NOT joking. Thanks to whoever it was who supplied the video for those of us who are out of the area.

All that being said, I think he's going with Esche because he knows we're going to get spanked so why bruise Niitty's ego. Besides, Esche did a stellar job against them in April (**cough**cough**)
almost stole us game 1... don't rag on him too hard about that series.

Old
10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
almost stole us game 1... don't rag on him too hard about that series.
I "almost" hit the lottery too-who cares? Forsberg won games 3 and 4 for us, then I think Chico gave up a touchdown or so/game after that.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Atma

Send a message via Yahoo to Atma
I think you guys are going to hang with the Sabres just fine. We have a nice rivalry between the teams and I think they're going to want penance for the round one bounce last year. It should be an exciting game.

Atma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:03 PM
camcool21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Ahh, I had forgotten it was Vs.! No Jenerrette...thank God. He is horrendous to listen to.

Jeanerette is amazing

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Philly should still have the playoff exit in mind and be plenty motivated.
No, they won't be motivated. This team seems barely motivated to get out of bed every morning. They couldn't give a **** about last year's playoffs.

I think Esche knows the writing is on the wall and so he doesn't care what he says. He knows Nitty is the starter for this team.

However, I think Hitch is looking for a spark and so by changing goalies against a good team, he's hoping the team might respond. I think they'll respond by getting their *** kicked, but that's just me.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post

Jeanerette is amazing
He is the most annoying announcer in the history of professional sports.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
No, they won't be motivated. This team seems barely motivated to get out of bed every morning. They couldn't give a **** about last year's playoffs.

I think Esche knows the writing is on the wall and so he doesn't care what he says. He knows Nitty is the starter for this team.

However, I think Hitch is looking for a spark and so by changing goalies against a good team, he's hoping the team might respond. I think they'll respond by getting their *** kicked, but that's just me.

The team plays like as if it were made of Pavel Brendl's

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
Haha, I actually lol'd.

It's true. Every now and then Forsberg and Richards look motivated to take over games, but no one follows.

Old
10-16-2006, 10:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post

Jeanerette is amazing
I have to agree. His voice is hilarious, even when Buffalo destroyed us in the playoffs I was dying of laughter, you know, that "OMG why am I laughing?" laughter.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
He is the most annoying announcer in the history of professional sports.
Right up there with South American soccer announcers

Old
10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Gert B Frobe

Esche meant what he said and is begging to be dealt if you ask me. This game is going to be ugly. Sorry but I have absolutely no confidence in this team when Rebound Rob is in net. I hope he gets shelled and yells at his teammates and seals his fate because he sucks....

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Is it possible to trade Esche to another league? i don't think there will be many takers in the NHL. Maybe someone in my sponge hockey league will pick him up

Old
10-16-2006, 11:22 PM
capn89*

Quote:

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Is it possible to trade Esche to another league? i don't think there will be many takers in the NHL. Maybe someone in my sponge hockey league will pick him up
Trade him to the Blackhawks... they'll take anybody.

Old
10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Esche meant what he said and is begging to be dealt if you ask me. This game is going to be ugly. Sorry but I have absolutely no confidence in this team when Rebound Rob is in net. I hope he gets shelled and yells at his teammates and seals his fate because he sucks....
Maybe he'll pull a Patrick Roy... but on a more legitimate "suck" level.

Old
10-17-2006, 01:59 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Actually, there've been a few players that have played really well. Forsberg and Richards come to mind, but Sanderson has been playing really well since coming here. He kind of looks like the Sanderson that scored the 40 in Hartford that one year. As well, even though I really slagged the defense before the season, Gauthier and Hatcher have played really good hockey. Christ, even Randy Jones has improved game after game. Niittymaki has been really good as well.

While Carter and Umberger haven't been lucky, they've been playing hard as well. They're snake bitten right now. Calder has been misused so far, so we need to see what he can do when he gets a chance with Forsberg and Gagne. Dropping Knuble to the 2nd line to play with Umberger and Carter might be the thing to help those two get going.

The player I've been most disappointed with so far has been Gagne. For someone who is getting 5 and quarter million dollars a year, I expect more than just average out of him. He's making superstar money now and it's time for him to start delivering. No more being a hanger on. He's got to start making opportunities for himself and he's got to start leading this team.

I'm also disappointed with the play of Pitkanen. However, most defensemen really don't come into their own until around 24 - 25. That's when the real good ones began to emerge. Look at Robinson and Pronger. That's when they stepped it up.

I'm also disappointed that our offensive schemes have been pretty bland and our power play hasn't been all that aggressive. We've played pretty conservative so far. Yeah, we may have a lot of shots, but if the shots are only perimeter shots, then it's nothing really. As long as the opposition's goalie can see everything, they'll stop it.

I'm really looking forward to when Jonsson can start playing because he's really going to help on the offensive side of things. He can really lead the rush and work the point on the power play. We can leave Sanderson back there with him and have Joni work the side boards with Forsberg and have someone crash the front of the net. It will also be interesting to see if that means Hitch will open it up more in terms of easing on the defensive assignments. He knows the players are good defensively, so now might be the time to really let them loose offensively.

I still think it's a horrible start we're having and if after 15, we're 3-9-3 (if we go by the current record), then we start panicking.

But as for the Sabres, we're gonna get eaten alive....lol, it's not going to be pretty at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
hockeyprincess

I hope that Esche pulls a Cujo...
after a sweet goal, he throws his blockers and trips and falls into the referee.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote