HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Noronen is the future.

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Big Kov

vCash: 500
Noronen is the future.

pointe finale. well, maybe not

Old
11-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Kozak72

he should atleast get the start for the next couple games..

Old
11-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

We go through this everytime someone has a great game. I'm a huge Noronen fan, but I don't think he's ever been able to string 3 good starts together and I don't think you can seriously call anyone "the future" at this point.

I agree that he should start tomorrow but personally I probably wouldn't start him simply because of the travel involved but I'd playing him Monday and probably the next game.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I agree that he should start tomorrow but personally I probably wouldn't start him simply because of the travel involved but I'd playing him Monday and probably the next game.
I agree. I think Biron should start in TB tomorrow night as he will obviously be the fresher of the two goalies. Mika would be the hot hand but the second half of a back-to-back on the road typically spells doom for this club. This would also get us out of the vicious cycle of Marty playing good game, Marty sucking, Mika playing good game, Mika sucking, Marty... Mika should then get the starts on the MWF tilts next week.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Takeo

And I think it's a bit drastic to claim that Noronen is the future right now. However I do think he deserves to be considered the #1 and ridden for a week or two. It's not simply that Biron is playing too inconsistently but that Mika has earned the opportunity.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I agree. I think Biron should start in TB tomorrow night as he will obviously be the fresher of the two goalies. Mika would be the hot hand but the second half of a back-to-back on the road typically spells doom for this club. This would also get us out of the vicious cycle of Marty playing good game, Marty sucking, Mika playing good game, Mika sucking, Marty... Mika should then get the starts on the MWF tilts next week.
Mika played one game. how freaking tired can he be? im sure he feels fresh as hell after a great performance like that. and im sure he really wants his chacne to seize the reins. If Ruff starts Marty its an obvious sign that Marty will always be his boy, and mika will never get a fair shake.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Big Kov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Mika played one game. how freaking tired can he be? im sure he feels fresh as hell after a great performance like that. and im sure he really wants his chacne to seize the reins. If Ruff starts Marty its an obvious sign that Marty will always be his boy, and mika will never get a fair shake.
Just what i was thinking. Hes really not going to be tried after one game, and this was a real pump up for him too. If he has another good game, and Ruff shows faith in him, i will officially jump on the bandwagon.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:18 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Play Noronen the next 3 straight games.....@ Tampa, @ Florida, vs Washington

Old
11-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Mika played one game...but tomorrow night is the backend of a back to back after a long travel night.

Based on my original post, starting Marty tomorrow night says nothing because Mika starts the following three games, minimum.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

After playing an NHL game then flying from Buffalo to Tampa and playing the next night, it's pretty tiring. Hell, it's pretty tiring for me when I just fly from WNY to Florida regardless of playing hockey, and I'm younger than Mika.

Ruff, as a policy, has usually played the same goalie on back to back nights. It's one of my major criticisms of him. It's a shame that the current schedule is laid out the way it is because Noronen should probably play 4 or 5 games straight based on what he did tonight. I don't think it's wise to play Noronen tomorrow night because he's going to be more tired than you realize, it's not just the game, it's the travel.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kov
Just what i was thinking. Hes really not going to be tried after one game, and this was a real pump up for him too. If he has another good game, and Ruff shows faith in him, i will officially jump on the bandwagon.
I so badly want to jump on the Mika bandwagon. if for no other reason than the fact that ive had enough of martin biron. 2 + seasons this guy has had all the opportunities in the world. we've seen mika play great, we've seen him play average and we've seen him play god awful. but we've never seen him given a stretch of games. i want to see mika start against tampa and lose badly. i hope he gets shelled. then i hope ruff says alright kid show me what you got. GOALIE CONFIDENCE. and then starts him regardless for another 3 or 4 games. martys got shut outs and martys been shelled and he's still played 75 % (random guess)of the games over the last two years. and he's proven nothing. if we are still looking for a real starting goalie can we atleast give mika that chance before ryan miller steps in. the guy was one of the most highly regarded prospects around a few years ago. can we finally see if he's the real deal cuz all i see is a game here and a game there.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Takeo

Quote:
I so badly want to jump on the Mika bandwagon. if for no other reason than the fact that ive had enough of martin biron. 2 + seasons this guy has had all the opportunities in the world. we've seen mika play great, we've seen him play average and we've seen him play god awful. but we've never seen him given a stretch of games. i want to see mika start against tampa and lose badly. i hope he gets shelled. then i hope ruff says alright kid show me what you got. GOALIE CONFIDENCE. and then starts him regardless for another 3 or 4 games. martys got shut outs and martys been shelled and he's still played 75 % (random guess)of the games over the last two years. and he's proven nothing. if we are still looking for a real starting goalie can we atleast give mika that chance before ryan miller steps in. the guy was one of the most highly regarded prospects around a few years ago. can we finally see if he's the real deal cuz all i see is a game here and a game there.
I agree with everything.

(...not to mention the fact that Noronen makes 1/4 of Biron's salary.)

Old
11-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I agree with everything.

(...not to mention the fact that Noronen makes 1/4 of Biron's salary.)
we finally agree on something.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:25 PM
elphy101

I hope you guys are wrong about Noronen being the future. But for selfish reasons.

I was hoping he would struggle this year so Kevin Lowe could pick him up nice and cheap as a replacement for Salo at the end of the year. I think a goalie tandem of Conklin and Noronen would look pretty damn good in Edmonton.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:17 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Trade Biron.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
It is true that everyone gets pumped up after either Noronen or Biron has a big game, but I think Noronen has done a much better job with his starts so far than Biron has. It isn't a truly fair comparison though, because he got a lot less of them and you can't simply say, "Well, if guy 1 wins 10 of his 20 starts and guy 2 wins 7 of his 10 starts then guy 2 is better and would have won 14 out of 20 starts."

Still though, I think Noronen has played a lot better and I think he caught a few bad games without enough chances to show they were simply bad games.

As for who should start tomorrow, I'm not even going to get into this debate. However... if Biron gets the start, I'd hope Noronen gets at least 2 of the next 3, regardless of Biron's play and Noronen's subsequent play.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:01 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
You also have to remember, Norenens two shutouts have come against two under 500 teams. I think we should just rotate the two for the rest of the season then cut or trade one next off-season and next year make wich one who stays the back up and have Ryan Miller the #1 goalie.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:30 AM
djhn579

I can only think of one game this season where Biron has played so badly that it cost us the game, in all his other losses, it was a close game or the team as a whole didn't show up (Like the last game against NJ). Noronen has been given chances in the past, but hasn't taken much advantge of them until this season. I really don't think there will be much difference whether Biron or Noronen is in the net. They are both young (for goaltenders) and learning. They will both be inconsistent at times, let in easy goals, and have aweful games. As for Biron making 1.8 mil and Noronen making less than that... I'm not positive of when Mika's contract expires, but if it was a two year deal, he'll be renegotiating this summer.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:12 AM
Kruschiki

sabres will need both goaltenders for this next stretch, they have 5 games in the next week.

Norenen has 2 SO against sub .500 teams (mentioned above) so it makes sense that he should get the work-load as there are some easy contests to come. Here's the sched:

Sat, Nov 22, 2003 7:30 PM @ Tampa Bay
Mon, Nov 24, 2003 7:30 PM @ Florida
Wed, Nov 26, 2003 7:00 PM Washington
Fri, Nov 28, 2003 8:00 PM Florida
Sat, Nov 29, 2003 8:00 PM @ Nashville

I'm not sure who should start tonight, but maybe Biron as he usually comes back with a good game after sitting out because of a bad one. Norenen get's maybe 4 out of the next six though.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Norenen has 2 SO against sub .500 teams (mentioned above) so it makes sense that he should get the work-load as there are some easy contests to come. Here's the sched:

Sat, Nov 22, 2003 7:30 PM @ Tampa Bay
Mon, Nov 24, 2003 7:30 PM @ Florida
Wed, Nov 26, 2003 7:00 PM Washington
Fri, Nov 28, 2003 8:00 PM Florida
Sat, Nov 29, 2003 8:00 PM @ Nashville
Sorry, but those aren't easy games for Buffalo...

Old
11-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Sorry, but those aren't easy games for Buffalo...
Yeah good point. How about "exepected points"?

They need to get full points from Florida and Nashville.

I'm not sure about TB or Washington.

Washington is a bottom feeder right now, but they always play blfo hard.

TB has played a light schedule and have not lost much. They can score, play good D and have exceptional goaltending. With any luck we'll see Graham tonight. Bflo needs all three lines to create chances.

I would say anything less than 6 out of 10 points adds up to a failure.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

It's way too early to say the Sabres should move Biron and make Mika the #1. He has to prove he can play well on a more consistent basis than Biron before they can turn the team over to him.

Besides, moving Biron is much easier said than done with not too many teams looking for a goalie. Especially one that makes $2.2 million this year.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Kruschiki

I bought that rationale that Biron is somehow ranked higher organizationally than Norenen, but I'm starting to wonder. The only way to really tell is to give Mika more starts. He's earned at least that this season, and Biron hasn't shown anything exceptional to keep Mika on the bench.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:25 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
If we move Biron and Mika falters, then we just hand the reins to Miller. Honestly, we're going to get the same production out of either 3 at this point in their careers, but obviously Noronen and mostly Miller have quite a bit more potential to become great. If we get rid of Biron and his $2.2m salary, we could possibly add a big, physical defenseman.

To BUF : Vishnevsky
To ANA : Skoula + COL 3rd rounder
To COL : Biron

COL gives : Skoula + 3rd rounder
ANA gives : Vishnevsky
BUF gives : Biron

I don't know if Skoula fills a need for Anaheim or not, but other than Ozolinsh it doesn't look like they have any other puck moving d-men, and I've heard things from Anaheim that Vishnevski's been in the doghouse lately.

I think this works out quite well for all involved.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
To BUF : Vishnevsky
To ANA : Skoula + COL 3rd rounder
To COL : Biron
The deal is OK. Very logical, conservative, and pretty.

But to be honest, I don't think Colorado has much interest in Biron and if they acquire a goalie, it's gonna be a playoff-tested vet. Furthermore, I think Biron is worth a bit more than Vishnevsky alone from the Sabres perspective...unless we go to salary-dump mode.

Closed Thread