HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Is The Thread Where Visitors Get To Ask About Panther Players' Progress

Old
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
It's funny. On draft day, Jacques Martin wanted Weiss at number 2 (behind Kovalchuk). He wanted him bad.

Upper-management ignored him and went with Spezza.
Do you have a source for this? Not trying to doubt you, but I've never heard that before.

I must say, Weiss visibly looks faster on the ice. Coming from a fan who hadn't seen him play in nearly a year (just like the rest of us), that says something. I think he will have a pretty good year.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgoalie7 View Post
I'll be honest with you and most people on this board will highly disagree with me.

Stephen Weiss is a bust. He's injury prone and will not play more than 3/4 of the season (62 games). If he does, I swear I'll leave these boards forever.
i don't think he's a bust. He's had some though breaks, but to say that a guy who's still young and has injury problems a bust would mean that Horton is also a bust.

As I already posted, special teams is much better with him on the ice, not sure that translates into "bust." That's a word that gets thrown around WAY to much. People thought Brees was a bust, too, he sure has done well in the NFL.

10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgoalie7 View Post
I'll be honest with you and most people on this board will highly disagree with me.

Stephen Weiss is a bust. He's injury prone and will not play more than 3/4 of the season (62 games). If he does, I swear I'll leave these boards forever.
I guess im looking forward to your goodbye then

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
bfire

I'd say he gets 45-50 Points this year. If he doesn't get injured.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Right winger

Juraj Kolnik's playing time

Hi guys!

My first post here, but I'm reading you for a long time. I'm a big Panthers' fan from Montréal. I went to see 3 games at the BAC last march.

So what do you think of Juraj Kolnik playing time so far? I don't know, but I think he deserve more ice time. This guy can score goals, but he needs more than 10 minutes per game, including 5 on PK, to really show what he can do.

P.S.: sorry for the poor english, french is my first language.

Right winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:50 PM
RedHotChiliPanthers

Send a message via MSN to RedHotChiliPanthers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right winger View Post
Hi guys!

My first post here, but I'm reading you for a long time. I'm a big Panthers' fan from Montréal. I went to see 3 games at the BAC last march.

So what do you think of Juraj Kolnik playing time so far? I don't know, but I think he deserve more ice time. This guy can score goals, but he needs more than 10 minutes per game, including 5 on PK, to really show what he can do.

he's a good role player, but there's not much of a reason why he should get more ice time as a RW than Stumpel, Bert and/or Horton. Kolnik, on most teams, is a third liner.

RedHotChiliPanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 02:12 AM
silver_made*

Martin stifled the offensive abilities of many a Sen player. Don't expect anything different now. He is a defense-first coach. Kolnik is underutilized on anything lower than the 2nd line. How a team like Florida, which rolls 4 scoring-capable lines, manages 1 goal in 2 games is mind-boggling and means 1 of 2 things: Martin isn't all that great at line combos or he is putting the reigns on his forwards with his 'two-way-play' overemphasis. Could be both.

when you look at this team on paper, if things don't get better, i'm going to revert to my original notions of what kind of coach martin is.

silver_made* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925 View Post
Martin stifled the offensive abilities of many a Sen player. Don't expect anything different now. He is a defense-first coach. Kolnik is underutilized on anything lower than the 2nd line. How a team like Florida, which rolls 4 scoring-capable lines, manages 1 goal in 2 games is mind-boggling and means 1 of 2 things: Martin isn't all that great at line combos or he is putting the reigns on his forwards with his 'two-way-play' overemphasis. Could be both.

when you look at this team on paper, if things don't get better, i'm going to revert to my original notions of what kind of coach martin is.
Martin did manage to get a gem out of Olesz-Newy-Bertuzzi, then again it's clear Newy would have chemistry with almost anyone. Bertuzzi has a great shot but has maybe even better passing, something that Newy will not miss given the right chance. The concern now is the top line isn't clicking anymore. Roberts-Jokinen-Stumpel just isn't happening, and the line combos may need to be shifted. I realize we're only 3 games in, but not much of an excuse for a line that played together a lot last year. Might want to consider Stumpel on the left of Jokinen and moving up Horton, which could make room for Kolnik on the 3rd line. Might even try a bruisier line of Roberts-Newy-Bertuzzi, where they could get more point potential but will lose a little speed without Olesz. Olesz is more of a 3rd or 4th liner anyway even though he has great talent, but is not really far along enough to garner those 2nd line minutes. Regardless he'll get them back as soon as Roberts gets injured anyway, but right now the only sure chemistry is Newy-Bertuzzi and Jokinen-Stumpel which hasn't produced more than one goal anyway yet. Gotta have faster guys that can break out of the zone and not screw up those passes, it takes away our chances on net. So maybe...

Stumpel-Jokinen-Horton
Roberts-Nieuwendyk-Bertuzzi
Olesz-Weiss-Kolnik
Gelinas-Gratton-Campbell

Really again there's no weak line there especially when Peltonen can come in, as long as they roll 4 lines they will have a chance to score.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:19 PM
sheep

Bertuzzi so far?

How has he looked?

sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right winger View Post
Hi guys!

I am from montreal too and of course a big panthers fan

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Panthers rock, i was thinking hte exact same thing EXACT SAME THING

stumpel, not to attack him, has done WELL in the faceoff circle, but has been a bump on the log on the 1st line. i figure why not throw horton on the top line and let him explode with jokinen..

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
He looked good in game 1 but for games 2 and 3 he hasn't really made too much of a splash but of course the whole team hasn't so you can't blame him too much. It's too early to really get a good idea.

Thewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Panthers2006

Send a message via MSN to Panthers2006
Yah, Stumpel seems to be playing the exact same way he did at the beginning of last season...unenthusiastic. We'll see what happens tonight.

Panthers2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Luongogl*

Bert has 1 goal and 6 assists in 4 games. The story though has been Auld he is playing simply amazing! But Bert has been great with us. Passing the puck more then I thought he would.

Luongogl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 09:40 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Ive been very happy with Bert so far. When he has the puck, he is so difficult to knock off. He has good vision for a big man, really knows how to pass the puck. And Im sure his goal scoring is going to be fine as the season progresses.

I have to say though that Alex the Great has been sensational. I didnt question his abilities before the season started, but I didnt think that he was going to be this impressive so soon. His lateral movement, which has been quesitoned, has been good, and he hasnt given up to many "cheap" goals. If he can continue to play like this, it will make the trade look so much better, and we will be a playoff team cause once this team gels, we are going to be dangerous. Just watch!

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Big Kov

ha, thats funny, im from montreal too, also big panther fan and big kolnik fan

Big Kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Happy Girl

Bon jour to all of our Panthers fans in Montreal! Yay!

Also, isn't Stumpel kind of known for being streaky? I know he was really good for us last year but hasn't that always been the rap on him?

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Stifling offense?

Through 4 games (with one a shutout loss and scoring one goal in another):
(player pos. g a pts)
Todd Bertuzzi RW 1 6 7
Olli Jokinen C 3 3 6
Gary Roberts LW 2 2 4
Stephen Weiss C 2 2 4
Joe Nieuwendyk C 2 1 3 (3 games)
Jozef Stumpel C 0 3 3
etc.
Team Total: 15 goals 26 assists 41 points
Scoring rate per game (and yes, a hell of a standard deviation):
3.75 goals 6.5 assists 10.25 points

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 12:54 PM
silver_made*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
Stifling offense?

Through 4 games (with one a shutout loss and scoring one goal in another):

go no further. BTW, look up the word "skewed."

silver_made* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Nucklehead007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Ive been very happy with Bert so far. When he has the puck, he is so difficult to knock off. He has good vision for a big man, really knows how to pass the puck. And Im sure his goal scoring is going to be fine as the season progresses.

I have to say though that Alex the Great has been sensational. I didnt question his abilities before the season started, but I didnt think that he was going to be this impressive so soon. His lateral movement, which has been quesitoned, has been good, and he hasnt given up to many "cheap" goals. If he can continue to play like this, it will make the trade look so much better, and we will be a playoff team cause once this team gels, we are going to be dangerous. Just watch!
I agree completely, you guys are in for a treat this year, but one thing I disagree with is him being difficult to knock off the puck, more like impossible... he is a big guy and strong as an ox, and Auld no doubt will keep you guys competitive.. I wont be surprised when Bertuzzi's hits 100 points this year... you guys should definetly be playoff bound...

Nucklehead007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925 View Post
go no further. BTW, look up the word "skewed."
Don't need to, as I know what it means. However, in this case it would be more Bimodal. Anyhow, you're making an assumption on Martin's impact on the current team based on - what? His impact with the Sens in a clutch-and grab league? Since your accusation must be based on either 4 games or mere conjecture and theory based on evidence that has several changed factors, it is entirely applicable to counter with an analysis of 4 games.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
Bon jour to all of our Panthers fans in Montreal! Yay!

Also, isn't Stumpel kind of known for being streaky? I know he was really good for us last year but hasn't that always been the rap on him?
my problem with him when i used to see him in l.a. was he played like he was totally disinterested and he played soft. thats one of things that had me so impressed last year, it was like a totally different guy out there.

patastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
catfan927

Send a message via AIM to catfan927
TOOOOOOOOZZZ!!!!! So far he has been everything advertized and more. I never knew he was such an adept passer. I just dont want him to become a passive player who looks for the pass.

catfan927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Armand21

Help Panthers Fans

Hi guys, I'm new, and I want to know more informations on the Panthers and I think you guys can help me !!

Which players you guys want to leave?
Exept Jokinen and Horton, who are the untouchable guys?
What does the Panthers need to get the Stanley Cup?
Does Salei signing helps the team or his contract is too high for the quality?
Is Olesz really a futur great player?

Thanks for answering and sorry for my english, I'm living in Montréal...

Armand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Which players do we want to leave? I think for the most part, we're pretty happy with this squad. Belfour has seen the most criticism though since he wasn't sharp at all in the one appearance he's made.

Untouchables? Jokinen obviously .. Horts, Olesz, Weiss, Allen in the short time he's been here, VanRyn and Salei would be my picks (in no particular order).

Truthfully, this team needs little talent-wise to win the whole thing. They have the offensive and defensive depth in my opinion. If the goaltending gets hot at the right time (same as in '96) and they show the heart and mental toughness they have been lacking for 5 years, they could surprise.

Salei has been absolutely as advertised, in my opinion. He and Allen have been very welcome additions of toughness and assertiveness on the blueline. You can already see it rubbing off on some of the younger guys. Bouw has been playing his absolute best and toughest I've ever seen. VanRyn has picked it up a notch as well.

Still not sure about Rusty. He is far and away one of our better 2-way guys. His hands just haven't quite seem to come around on a consistant basis. It's WAY too early to tell with him, but I really like what I've seen so far from someone with his experience level..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote